• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Gameinformer reviews KH2.8 - Critical Mode in 0.2 is unlockable, lengthy scene ties into KH3

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
whereas Dream Drop Distance runs smoother than it's original version and the touchpad on the PlayStation 4 controlers works similarly to how the touchscreen was used on 3DS.</p>

Now this is some interesting news for me, was thinking how they would adapt the two screens of DDD to the PS4, it surely will be exciting to adapt to these 'reinvented' mechanics for me, as one who ate DDD as breakfast and knew it inside and outside back then

Yeah he said the order was 3Ds, then 0.2

I LOVE these kinds of things ; w ; Makes me glad to have the original, it becomes more valuable like this somehow. (Anyway to me it is, my DDD copy is a treasure for me <3 )

Also not happy about unlockable critical mode. It is what it is but it means I'll have to do a rushed first run, because I don't want to 100% it twice. I don't see any benefit to making it unavailable from the start, I would play it many times anyway.

I'd say it's wise enough to put Critical Mode unlockable only after a first run, I 100%'d my Proud mode DDD run and am like halfway on my Critical level 1 run. I stopped it because of the HD DDD news long ago. But in my opinion, DDD Critical level 1 is insane at least in the first worlds and you gotta know your Dream Eaters and gameplay very well to stay alive and also not Drop. A Critical run may be harder, but takes enjoyment away when you face repetitive things you can't get past of because of difficulty.
As much as I am a masochistic "Highest difficulty if possible" player, I can totally see why they put Critical only unlockable like this

Last edited:

Sonicfan2525

Awards
Considering I already beat 3D back when it came out, I am jumping straight into 0.2 and then BC. Gonna need some popcorn and a drink for that last part! Still really excited to play the remaster though, and I am someone who was disappointed in 3D back when it first came out.

But I am glad to see it getting such a good review. I don't actively search for reviews on KH games as I am going to get them regardless (usually I look them up after I have beaten the specific game once), but its nice to see it getting such a good score! The critical mode thing isn't a big deal to me because it just adds incentive to play it again, which I probably will do where it is only a few hours long.

SO close guys! Only a few more weeks!

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
I'd say it's wise enough to put Critical Mode unlockable only after a first run, I 100%'d my Proud mode DDD run and am like halfway on my Critical level 1 run. I stopped it because of the HD DDD news long ago. But in my opinion, DDD Critical level 1 is insane at least in the first worlds and you gotta know your Dream Eaters and gameplay very well to stay alive and also not Drop. A Critical run may be harder, but takes enjoyment away when you face repetitive things you can't get past of because of difficulty.
As much as I am a masochistic "Highest difficulty if possible" player, I can totally see why they put Critical only unlockable like this

Critical is only hard if you don't grind, though. And for someone who always grinds so much on the first run through any new game that it just makes everything too easy, critical mode is perfect. It says in the desctiption that it's a difficult challenge or something, I think anyone who would pick it would know to expect a high difficulty. So I don't really see why stop people from choosing that, it should be our own decision, not locked out by the game. I remembered nothing about DDD when I did my restricted critical run, and I felt the difficulty was still fair. It wasn't frustrating, just challenging. Let people have that! I wouldn't mind dying a lot on the first run through 0.2, if someone doesn't like that, they just won't choose critical.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Will 0.2 even have the Lvl 1 Critical, come to think of it?
Are there even levels? I guess...
Wonder what the level cap is. Can one go 100?

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Critical is only hard if you don't grind, though. And for someone who always grinds so much on the first run through any new game that it just makes everything too easy, critical mode is perfect. It says in the desctiption that it's a difficult challenge or something, I think anyone who would pick it would know to expect a high difficulty. So I don't really see why stop people from choosing that, it should be our own decision, not locked out by the game. I remembered nothing about DDD when I did my restricted critical run, and I felt the difficulty was still fair. It wasn't frustrating, just challenging. Let people have that! I wouldn't mind dying a lot on the first run through 0.2, if someone doesn't like that, they just won't choose critical.

This exactly. If one doesnt want that challenge ok, but why take it from those who do?

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
i may skit the critical mode for 2.8 since i want to enjoy 0.2 and enjoy the lenghty cutscene but i might do the critical mode for kh3 since i know how nomura like to put in secret video and critical mode is the shortcut to them

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
you honestly think nomura would put a secret ending for a short game?
You honestly think that Nomura would canonize some footage from a live orchestra concert?

That dude is crazy. I'm just saiyan.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Tbh I'm a bit at a loss as to why a difficulty level has to be made unlockable?

If DDD is starting a trend here it's not a particularily well thought out trend, it reminds me of the non-stackable difficulty trophies of Re: CoM, forcing one to do six playthroughs. <__<

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
A lvl 99 cap in a 3-4 hour story..."the long grind" catchphrase just got really literal.
Along with starting the game with -ga level spells, I expect Aqua to start at a later level, possibly around 40. I recall one of the trailers showing her at LV52 or so.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Along with starting the game with -ga level spells, I expect Aqua to start at a later level, possibly around 40. I recall one of the trailers showing her at LV52 or so.

Well, it would be a bit weird to have her start at Level 1 for sure, except if one wants to play the card of "the RoD saps one's power and experience". ^__^

Ashton69

Awards
Making Critical mode an unlockable is just a simple way to extend the time a player may play the game. I'm just hoping there are some exciting challenges for levels around 80+

Dr_Mario64

Tbh I'm a bit at a loss as to why a difficulty level has to be made unlockable?

If DDD is starting a trend here it's not a particularily well thought out trend, it reminds me of the non-stackable difficulty trophies of Re: CoM, forcing one to do six playthroughs. <__<

I agree. Unless the unlockable difficulty makes some kinda drastic change to the gameplay (like Ocarina of Time: Master Quest, for example), it just seems like a lazy way to artificially extend playtime. In my opinion, the worst offender I've encountered is Mario & Luigi Dream Team. Beating the game once unlocks Hard Mode. All that changes is the enemies have significantly higher stats and you don't get to retry fights.

I'm not against having multiple difficulties in this way, but don't make them out to be something they're not. Arbitrarily tougher versions of the same game is not a reward; it's an accommodation for players of different skill levels. It's sorta like choosing salsa for your taco. It won't make it an entirely different meal, but it can be used to appeal to different tastes. Do you like your games mild, medium, or spicy?

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Making Critical mode an unlockable is just a simple way to extend the time a player may play the game. I'm just hoping there are some exciting challenges for levels around 80+

Ashton, I disagree with you!! All difficulties should be available from the start-- what if someone is picking the game back up years later, and they're unable to start on Critical even though they've played it before? KH2 let's you start on critical! Sad!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back