• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

GameInformer interviews Yasue on KH3's difficulty, post-game content, favorite moments

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Yasue admitted that he expected to receive a lot of feedback about the game being on the easy side, but that level was what the team was aiming for. They were targeting a specific audience, such as the younger generation who are being introduced to the franchise through Kingdom Hearts 3 without having played previous instalments. Recent trends have indicated a significant decrease in players finishing games, regardless of the genre. If players struggle too much, they may be discouraged from continuing so the team wanted to ensure that as many players as possible would be able to play Kingdom Hearts 3 through to completion.

I'm sorry, but isn't that what easy mode is for? I get that this is an entry point for a lot of gamers into Kingdom Hearts, but the harder difficulties should you know, actually be difficult! Part of the memorable Kingdom Hearts experience with previous games was the occasional hard boss like Urusula or Xaldin.

I genuinely do hope that they patch the higher difficulties with more of a challenge, I don't want that exclusive to critical. And like everyone else is mentioning, bulk up the size of Twilight Town with extra environments to explore and quests to do. Reintroduce the Final Fantasy cast there to conclude their stories if need be.

drew0512

Awards
I mean... I don't think that objectively is the right word here. I think that... unfortunately, the relevance of a specific subplot can't be objectively described. I mean, when does a plot become relevant? X number of cutscenes, X number of mentions, X number of name drops?
It's relevant when, if you cut it out, the game doesn't make sense. If you cut out that plot, then Vexen nevers joins the Organization because he lacks the desire for atonement. If Vexen doesn't join the Organization, then it's not complete. If it's not complete, then there's no 13 vs 7 clash. If there's no clash, there's no KH3.

I think the point that's trying to be made is that... in terms of gameplay and story, we as the player hardly ever make any steps towards reviving Roxas.
That's more your personal problem than the game's problem, honestly.

Sora recognizes, occasionally, that people are working towards this behind the scenes. But for the vast majority of the game (AKA the Disney Worlds) Roxas is an afterthought. As soon as Sora touches down in say... Toy Box, all mentions of Roxas, the urgency of bringing him back, it all goes away. He ceases to be relevant to the story. In KH2... this wasn't really the case. When Sora lands in Land of Dragons, he talks about finding Riku, stopping the heartless. It's tied to the main storyline. In KH1, there's a super easy way to continue plot relevance with the Council of Villains, the search for Kairi, Riku's continued appearances, and so on.
So? "Save Roxas" is not the plot of KH3, the plot of KH3 is "Defeat MX" (more or less). The overarching post-KH2 plot is "Everyone connected to Sora need to be saved" which was first set up by Blank Points, and that means Terra, Aqua, Ven, Roxas, Naminé and Xion. They know where Aqua is (and they know that they need her to find Ventus); they do not know Terra's location (and if he's alive to begin with), they don't know how to bring back Roxas and Naminé (and if that's even possible) and they don't know or remember Xion. The top priority is saving Aqua and regaining the power of waking. If they save Aqua and Ventus, they have 7 guardians of Light and the clash can happen. Saving Roxas or Naminé is irrelevant when it comes to defeating Xehanort, but it's relevant to KH3 in general because a lot depends on it (like I said before). There's no plot urgency in saving Roxas, that's "just" a personal desire from Sora developed after everything post-KH2. It's not surprising that, after doing his part, Sora stops "actively" trying to bring Roxas back. All he could possibly do would be taking a KH science class so that he can either a) make a replica b) research the heart in order to find out how to release Roxas' heart without stabbing himself. It's prettyt obvious why none of this happen.
Differents plots can happen at the same time, you know. Sora is trying to regain the power of waking, Riku and Mickey are trying to find/save Aqua, while Ienzo (and later other people too) is trying to understand how to bring back Roxas and Naminé.
In KH3, Roxas quite literally gets dropped. Early on, we're led to believe that he's going to be one of the seven guardians.
How?

Axel hardly mentions Roxas, even when meeting Ven again. Nobody brings up Roxas' similarity in appearance to Ven at the Mysterious Tower.
This is literally what happens.

Even in the Keyblade Graveyard, none of the characters mention him.
Why should they, since Roxas has nothing to do with KG?
Of course, as I mentioned before, I think that relevance is subjective. The player decides (based on what they think about) how important a character is in the story. How important a subplot is.
It's definitely not subjective. If you cut it out and then the game falls apart, then it's relevant.
A perfect example: Are Maleficent and Pete in the game? Yes. Do they do their thing? Yes. Would KH3 be exactly the same without them? Absolutely yes, and this regardless of how the player feels about them.
Or: Are Cloud and Sephiroth, while part of the game (and not optional content like in KH1), completely irrelevant? Yes, KH2 would be the same without their scenes.

Last edited:

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Or: Are Cloud and Sephiroth, while part of the game (and not optional content like in KH1), completely irrelevant? Yes, KH2 would be the same without their scenes.
You could say the same for every Disney character in the game other than Mickey. Even Donald and Goofy are window dressing in KH2.

So? "Save Roxas" is not the plot of KH3, the plot of KH3 is "Defeat MX" (more or less).
The endless side games between KH2 and KH3 repeat and repeat that Sora must heal the hurt, blah blah, so I'm not sure anyone would be wrong to have expected more out of that side of things from KH3.

SerDuncan

Here's all I'll say. If you remove the mentions of saving Roxas from anything Sora is involved in... the story still makes sense. That's what I mean. Roxas only becomes relevant the second he shows up to save Xion at the KG. If you remove Roxas from Saix' story, it still would make sense. Saix feels bad for the way he treated Axel, and wants to save Mystery Girl. So he recruits Vexen for a mysterious replica project. Sora never visits Twlight Town, so he never discovers the computer in the basement. Ienzo never cares about reconstructing Roxas heart and focuses instead of the other two hearts in Sora. Vexen uses his replica project alongside Ienzo to revive Xion. The plot still functions. Yeah, it's awkward... but even still. That's all external plot. It has no relevance to Sora's journey... which is what I think the original point was.

The Kid

Awards
That difficulty explanation is awful. No one wanted the hardest difficulty to be that easy. And still mad about the lack of FF characters

drew0512

Awards
Here's all I'll say. If you remove the mentions of saving Roxas from anything Sora is involved in... the story still makes sense. That's what I mean. Roxas only becomes relevant the second he shows up to save Xion at the KG. If you remove Roxas from Saix' story, it still would make sense. Saix feels bad for the way he treated Axel, and wants to save Mystery Girl. So he recruits Vexen for a mysterious replica project. Sora never visits Twlight Town, so he never discovers the computer in the basement. Ienzo never cares about reconstructing Roxas heart and focuses instead of the other two hearts in Sora. Vexen uses his replica project alongside Ienzo to revive Xion. The plot still functions. Yeah, it's awkward... but even still. That's all external plot. It has no relevance to Sora's journey... which is what I think the original point was.
The plot still functions? Saix wants to save Mystery Girl and to make up with Axel. So he recruits Vexen because... I don't know? How is the Replica Program related to Mystery Girl and Axel? Saix recruits Vexen because replicas are the key in bringing back Roxas and Naminé. Vexen on the other hand accepts to join the Organization because he wants to bring back those people too. If you take away the desire to bring back Roxas, Naminé and Xion, none of this happen (no matter how hard one can try to twist the plot).

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
KH3 was always this big looming thing, a giant blank canvas that fans could project anything they wanted onto it, and what it could be and how it would develop and now that someone has to actually fill in that canvas and narrow the realm of possibility from what could happen to what does happen (while also wrestling with the reality of constraints such as budget, time, resources, etc) there was no way everyone was going to be satisfied.
It was never a blank canvas. KH3 had 8 games worth of precedence which standardized most of the expectations surrounding it, creating a baseline from which fans drew in order to construct an idea of what the game would look like as a really simple matter of maximizing its potential. It's not a problem of some abstract, unknowable formula that Nomura had to decrypt over the course of development while beset by rigorous technical restrictions-- which he would have been made aware of during the earliest planning stages for the game as a matter of course; the complaints people put forward are about deliberate choices and miscalculations in narrative and game design which detract from the experience in significant and obvious ways.

The repeated attempts to frame these points of dispute as the result of an inevitable faction of dissatisfied consumers is disingenuous: there is a sizable consensus that the game is poorly handled and there is practically a syllabus of compelling arguments to be made to that effect which, rather than being evaluated and countered, are routinely met with deflection and defamation of character by a portion of the fanbase which doesn't appear to have the critical capacity of thought to comprehend what constitutes a reasonable relationship between the modern audience and storyteller. The insinuation that people should "accept what is" and carry water for the franchise no matter how it progresses is facile and inimical to the purpose of audience engagement as an approach which assumes a mutuality of benefits for both fans and creators contingent upon the amount of time and energy on the part of the former spent providing a variety of promotional platforms for the latter, who in turn must actively incentivize the fanbase to continue to signal boost their product by conveying a tangible sense of goodwill (not PR) and interest (not subservience) towards the questions and desires of their audience. KH3, and arguably the KH series on the whole, has largely eroded that goodwill; that may or may not have a lasting impact on the future of the brand, but it stands to reason that wasn't the intended outcome.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
It's impossible to please everyone, but it's possible to please the majority.

Have Final Fantasy characters, not make Twilight Town smaller, Kairi actually doing something and Sora not being the only playable character during the Keyblade War, would help them achieving that. None of these are unrealistic demands.

Their excuse for the absence of Final Fantasy characters just isn't convincing.

There are too many original characters this time?! True.
But in the middle of so many random NPCs in Twilight Town, why Seifer's gang couldn't be there?! What's their excuse for this?!

There's no playable Radiant Garden?! Doesn't make sense considering how important that Original World has been for the plot, but whatever. Why Leon and Cid can't interact with Sora through the Gummiphone, when they were ones that helped Sora in the beginning?!

They can't answer this questions with logical answers because the truth is - There's no reason why FF characters couldn't appear in KH3.

I think the Final Fantasy gang from Radiant Garden being present would have affected the end of the game in a negative way. It would be weird to go to the Keyblade War and say "no Leon and the gang, you guys can't come with us to fight the guy that is trying to destroy the entire universe". If they did come with us to the Keyblade Graveyard, it would have been weird having them fight with us in the last fight (visually it would have just been too much and watered down everything else that happened).

I would have used them like this:
Sora and the gang land in Radiant Garden to talk to Ienzo (in person) about resurrecting Roxas. While talking to him, Radiant Garden is attacked by Terra-Xehanort. Leon and the gang appear to help Sora fight him. After an epic battle in the courtyard, Leon and the others agree that they will stay back and protect the castle so Ienzo can finish his work while Sora continues searching for the power of waking. While in this world, Leon and Yuffie / Cloud and Aerith are on your team depending on where you are.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Come to think of it Yen Sid could have just brought FF characters with him to help hold back the Heartless Dark Riku summoned. That would have been the perfect contribution from them during the climax.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
It's impossible to please everyone, but it's possible to please the majority.

Have Final Fantasy characters, not make Twilight Town smaller, Kairi actually doing something and Sora not being the only playable character during the Keyblade War, would help them achieving that. None of these are unrealistic demands.

Their excuse for the absence of Final Fantasy characters just isn't convincing.

There are too many original characters this time?! True.
But in the middle of so many random NPCs in Twilight Town, why Seifer's gang couldn't be there?! What's their excuse for this?!

There's no playable Radiant Garden?! Doesn't make sense considering how important that Original World has been for the plot, but whatever. Why Leon and Cid can't interact with Sora through the Gummiphone, when they were ones that helped Sora in the beginning?!

They can't answer this questions with logical answers because the truth is - There's no reason why FF characters couldn't appear in KH3.
Nomura even stated in the Utimania that he had the team make polygon models of Leon and others just in case, but he "couldn't find a place to use them." Yeah, that giant, Leon-shaped hole in Radiant Garden's plot is just so easy to miss.

At this point I'm wondering if Nomura needed to get approval to use them. We've had something similar happen with Laguna. Where he'd either be in BBS or original Dissidia's sequel, because somehow doing both was not an option.

If approval did need to happen, then having the team make models for them makes more sense.

Whatever the reason is, the one they're giving is unconvincing and downright bad PR.

Come to think of it Yen Sid could have just brought FF characters with him to help hold back the Heartless Dark Riku summoned. That would have been the perfect contribution from them during the climax.
^

Last edited:

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
At this point I'm wondering if Nomura needed to get approval to use them. We've had something similar happen with Laguna. Where he'd either be in BBS or original Dissidia's sequel, because somehow doing both was not an option.
What happened with Laguna sounds just like what happened with Mickey Mouse in KH1, so maybe it is something that Square Enix feels funny about (but now they're throwing the same characters into a million mobile games. If it nets money...)

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I think the Final Fantasy gang from Radiant Garden being present would have affected the end of the game in a negative way. It would be weird to go to the Keyblade War and say "no Leon and the gang, you guys can't come with us to fight the guy that is trying to destroy the entire universe". If they did come with us to the Keyblade Graveyard, it would have been weird having them fight with us in the last fight (visually it would have just been too much and watered down everything else that happened).

I would have used them like this:
Sora and the gang land in Radiant Garden to talk to Ienzo (in person) about resurrecting Roxas. While talking to him, Radiant Garden is attacked by Terra-Xehanort. Leon and the gang appear to help Sora fight him. After an epic battle in the courtyard, Leon and the others agree that they will stay back and protect the castle so Ienzo can finish his work while Sora continues searching for the power of waking. While in this world, Leon and Yuffie / Cloud and Aerith are on your team depending on where you are.

The FF cameos were never part of any of the Final battles before in games they appeared in so it would also have been no problem to just leave them be at Radiant Garden this time around too.
They could have served as RG specific party members for both a Riku/Mickey scenario and a possible visit from Sora, regardless of how exactly it plays out and who the opponent might be.
Heck, they could even have thrown in a short segment where Leon & Yuffie lead a rescued Aqua and restored Ven (with Aqua being the playable character) down into the basement to visit the chamber of repose and recover Aqua's Keyblade + armor.

If approval did need to happen, then having the team make models for them makes more sense.

Whatever the reason is, the one they're giving is unconvincing and downright bad PR.

Indeed, yet it could also have just been Nomura being salty at FF in general and wanting his pseudo-FF Verum Rex being the only FF-esque characters present in the whole game.
Apart from the whole Ux-stuff and the new saga being now the stuff Nomura's most excited for, Yozora seems to be also high on his personal priority and favorites list.
The whole "too crowded" explanation falls flat on its face anyways as they even bothered to include Aeleus and Dilan, despite them never saying a word and only walking/standing around uselessly throughout the whole story.

Maybe Nomura just wants to replace all already known FF cameos with KH original characters completely in the long run anyways, considering how nonchalantly both Yasue and him approach the issue, not to mention the high surprise of fans mentioning this issue so often seems genuine on their part.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Based on Yozora, Magia, and Aegis I wonder if next saga instead of FF character we get more OCs based on them? Something like a female keyblade wielder resembling Lightning.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Based on Yozora, Magia, and Aegis I wonder if next saga instead of FF character we get more OCs based on them? Something like a female keyblade wielder resembling Lightning.

I doubt it. This series can barely handle the OCs it already has. Adding even more on top of the ones we already have would be too much. I can see one or two new characters but at this point the series needs to actually utilize the huge cast it has rather than use AT them.

The Kid

Awards
I mean they have to know by now that people want to see FF cameos right? It's weird how adamant they are about why they didn't appear. Unfortunately, I don't expect any of them to show up in DLC. Too bad

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I mean they have to know by now that people want to see FF cameos right? It's weird how adamant they are about why they didn't appear. Unfortunately, I don't expect any of them to show up in DLC. Too bad

I mean, yeah now they do since it’s been the biggest complaint after “the game is too easy” and “tf did you guys do to Kairi”

It’s PR talk at this point. They probably either have a specific reason why they weren’t in the game that they can’t talk about or they genuinely didn’t think we’d care/notice.

We can still hope for something in the DLC. I don’t think it is too late.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I doubt it. This series can barely handle the OCs it already has. Adding even more on top of the ones we already have would be too much. I can see one or two new characters but at this point the series needs to actually utilize the huge cast it has rather than use AT them.
I agree that adding more OCs to an already bloated cast can do more harm than good. I just thought OCs based on FF characters would be a better alternative than none at all. Who knows if we will ever get to see FF cameos again?

Come to think of it it did happen prior to Yozora with Axel.

Last edited:

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
With many of the original characters now out of the series for good (barring Nomura changing his mind or making them relevant in KHUX), I can see new OCs being made.

But I wouldn’t want OCs made of Final Fantasy characters when we could have those Final Fantasy characters themselves (don’t hit me with that “their not exactly the same, y’all know what I mean).

Yozora, Aegis, and Magia are clearly the way they are due to Nomura’s childlike pettiness and that’s why we are getting OC characters based on Final Fantasy characters.

But for more characters like that? No thank you, give me Zidane and Balthier in Treasure Planet. Give me the Onion Knight in Dwarf Woodlands. Give me Rinoa in Radiant Garden along with everyone else.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I agree that adding more OCs to an already bloated cast can do more harm than good. I just thought OCs based on FF characters would be a better alternative than none at all. It did happen prior to Yozora with Axel.

That’s true, but I think it still aggravates the issue rather than soothe. Fans never stopped wanting Reno despite Nomura making Axel. Instead, they all wanted to see Reno and Axel interact back in the mid-2000s.

Or like now people don’t feel like their Noctis itch has been scratched with Yozora. Now I think people want to see Yozora, Riku, Noctis, and Sora all in the same room to see what happens haha

It’s fun, but it creates new problems

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
The first game was billed as a collaboration between Disney and FF properties and for the third installment - meant to 'cap-off' what the first one started - to not acknowledge its roots is more than a bit jarring/odd. And from a storytelling perspective, the FF-crew in RG purportedly mean a lot to Sora and his development as a protagonist. It feels off not to have gotten to see them this time around. I don't even play FF but I felt the absence and missed the spontaneity of seeing how these characters would be incorporated.

Back