• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Game Informer Discusses Contents of Kingdom Hearts 2.8 with Tetsuya Nomura

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

At Sony's Pre-Tokyo Game Show 2015 conference, Square Enix made a shocking move and revealed a new entry into the Kingdom Hearts HD saga. Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue was announced to be released on the Playstation 4 in 2016. Few details have emerged about the content in the game, mainly from the reveal trailer and impressions from the attendees at the Kingdom Hearts Premium Theatre event that preluded D23 Expo Japan back in November.

In Game Informer's latest issue (December 2015, #272), writer Kimberly Wallace was able to discuss a few details about the upcoming collection with Series Creator / Director, Tetsuya Nomura. While all this is included in the latest issue of their magazine, Game Informer published an article containing the interview from the magazine that we highly recommend reading. Below are the details that were discussed.

0.2 BIRTH BY SLEEP -A FRAGMENTARY PASSAGE-

• Kingdom Hearts 0.2 Birth By Sleep incorporates elements from Kingdom Hearts III. Nomura explains that this is not for feedback purposes (such as what's been done with Final Fantasy XV's demo [Episode Duscae]) but for the fans of the series to get hands on with a small part of what Kingdom Hearts III will feel like.
  • BBS 0.2 will take a few hours to complete, which Nomura stresses that it includes the same volume of gameplay as a regular world (which from Nomura's words, apparently will take place at the Castle of Dreams).
  • It is primarily a solo story for Aqua. Outside of Yen Sid, Kairi, Riku, and King Mickey, it's unlikely that we will see other characters.
  • While not part of Game Informers interview, it's important to note that Birth by Sleep 0.2 has been in development alongside Kingdom Hearts III for a while now, and thus the creation of this level has not taken resources away from Kingdom Hearts III development (as they share the same technology and resources).

DREAM DROP DISTANCE

• Nomura describes Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance HD as more than a simple port, and is more along the lines of a "remake".
  • This is because of the change from dual screens on 3DS to one screen on Playstation 4.
  • Nomura re-confirms that because of this they are unable to add in any brand-new elements and as such the game will remain primarily the same. However the gameplay of Dream Drop Distance is being reworked for the Playstation 4.

Unfortunately, nothing was said about Kingdom Hearts χ [chi] Back Cover but more information will be coming on December 19th with Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue confirmed to have a trailer at Jump Festa 2016!

For the full discussion with Tetsuya Nomura, please visit Game Informer!

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
I knew the intention of 0.2 was to give a taste of KHIII, not to gather feedback, but it nice to know for sure know. It is little sad that DDD won`t be getting new stuff, but it is really nice to play it with a proper controller this time around. Can`t wait to get my hands on this collection. Really curios to see who the traitor among the Foretellers is.

Also, you have probably seen this already, but KH:X had an really nice trailer in Japan:
[video=youtube;TLJCrvVKlHc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLJCrvVKlHc[/video]

Nomura`s cat a.k.a Chirity can be seen in the beginning. :D

Vanitas666

I choose the Middle Path
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
DREAM DROP DISTANCE

• Nomura describes Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance HD as more than a simple port, and is more along the lines of a "remake".
  • This is because of the change from dual screens on 3DS to one screen on Playstation 4.
  • Nomura re-confirms that because of this they are unable to add in any brand-new elements and as such the game will remain primarily the same. However the gameplay of Dream Drop Distance is being reworked for the Playstation 4.
Oh dear God I hope they patch it up really well, added content would have been nice but I could care less about that if they actually fix the gameplay. :D
Nothing new with BBS it sounds like but that's fine, really looking forward to that as well

edit - maybe they were just talking about the dual screen stuff after all...

Last edited:

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
So Aqua, Riku, Kairi, Mickey, and Yen Sid will probably be the only ones seen.
Ya know, Sora should probably hear Mickey's story too, being it's important to the plot and all, but then again he's instantly lost at any and all explanations.
No matter how simple:
Mickey: Oh, this isn't the real Ansem. This is his evil apprentice who stole the real Ansem's identity.
Sora: I don't understand! This is all too confusing!

Also, you have probably seen this already, but KH:X had an really nice trailer in Japan:
[video=youtube;TLJCrvVKlHc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLJCrvVKlHc[/video]

Nomura`s cat a.k.a Chirity can be seen in the beginning. :D
Even when they're not being weird, Japan has great commercials.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Remake, huh? If that's the case, then there's no reason that any of the gameplay issues that exist in the original DDD should be in 2.8. Kinda sad that there won't be any new content, but hey, we've got Chi and Fragmentary Passage to make up for that.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
I'm a little sad 0.2 will be so short, but I kindof expected as much, and it solidifies the meaning of "prologue" along with DDD. Still extremely happy we will be able to explore Castle of Dreams in what I can only imagine as a hauntingly beautiful level.

I'm also glad Nomura has gone out of his way to let us know the process feels more like a remake since they are working so hard to rework this for the PS4. I know we've been told there won't be any additional content, but I love the 3D and portable aspects of the Nintendo version, and without anything new it will be hard for me to view the PS4 remaster as the definitive version, personally. Ready to experience the difference on the console though.

Muke

whatever
Awards
Now that I think about it, I may love DDD more than now. I hate it mostly because of the controls, but with it getting to the PS4, maybe they will be better? (definitely)

ultima-demi

(>..)>
Awards
I wish it was a few hours to complete.

Well anyway,castle of dreams was pretty small in BBS so looking forward to seeing how much bigger they can make it.

Dr_Mario64

Oh dear God I hope they patch it up really well, added content would have been nice but I could care less about that if they actually fix the gameplay. :D
Nothing new with BBS it sounds like but that's fine, really looking forward to that as well

edit - maybe they were just talking about the dual screen stuff after all...

Well, not getting cut off during boss fights would be nice :/ I mean, seriously. Would it have been that much trouble to freeze the Drop clock during boss fights?!

Awards
0.2 is going to be a few hours? Good enough for me. We already know Square's definition of a few hours from the KH2 prologue.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Well, not getting cut off during boss fights would be nice :/ I mean, seriously. Would it have been that much trouble to freeze the Drop clock during boss fights?!

That's like freezing the mana bar or gauges, its an annoying mechanic that is integral to the game. Also Drop Me Not.

Muke

whatever
Awards
Drop Me Not, yeah. Absent is totally right btw, post seconded.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Yay, December 19th! That's not too far away.

Also, I'm totally fine with 0.2 just involving Aqua/Riku/Kairi/Mickey/Yen Sid. They need the extra love.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
@Dr_Mario64 Nomura has said in interviews that part of the reason for the drop gauge was to give a sense of challenge to the game again. Mainly in that he felt too many fans had found a way to cheese their way through past games (by simply leveling up a lot if they were stuck somewhere, and then just butchering said enemies when they became OP), that he wanted to eliminate that some in DDD, if at all possible.

Excited to hear about the Castle of Dreams stuff! I wonder just what the world will be like, whilst it's stuck in the RoD like that. Honestly, I get the feeling that this might be what the next Saga's about somehow (like, perhaps Xehanort wins, everything falls to darkness this time--like the Tome of Prophecy says--and then you play in the worlds trapped in the darkness next time around), but we'll see.

A bit disappointed to hear that there's no new stuff for 3D, and that they didn't mention Back Cover much here, but that's fine. And I can respect that they didn't add stuff to DDD in that they had to remake a lot of it. In fact, I'm kind of excited to play that now. And I kind of hate DDD, so I didn't think this would happen for me. Kudos to them, then.

One thing I'm confused about is that... apparently Sora's not going to be in 0.2? If so, that's weird, because I thought the initial summary for it made it sound like the information from Mickey and Yen Sid was getting told to him and him alone. Did they change their minds on that or something? I am, however, glad to hear that Kairi will be involved in things for once. That's a good sign, I hope.

Off topic: OMG. I love that Unchained commercial so much. So much better than some of the similar Lightning Returns ones that they had. OMG:) ...If only I could truly play Unchained and feel a part of the game like that... Someday, maybe?

hlc1988

Awards
Good to have some more news! Looking forward to playing KH 2.8!

And I hope when they show a trailer at Jump Fest that we may get a hint of a release date for it!

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

One thing I'm confused about is that... apparently Sora's not going to be in 0.2? If so, that's weird, because I thought the initial summary for it made it sound like the information from Mickey and Yen Sid was getting told to him and him alone. Did they change their minds on that or something? I am, however, glad to hear that Kairi will be involved in things for once. That's a good sign, I hope.
Well, nothing yet indicates Sora being there. This takes place right after the DDD Secret Ending. At that point in time, Sora was back in the Realm of Sleep and we saw Riku bring Kairi into the room where Yen Sid and Mickey were talking. Plus they're the only ones in the picture.

so BBS 0.2 gone be few hours basically like kh2 roxas adventure in twilight town right?
Depends on which game he's basing world time off ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back