• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Future Links/Summons Options.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
They got restrictive because their brand as a mega corporation recovered in the 2010s whereas prior to that, the Disney brand was in a bad place. With tons of money and a more cohesive, unified image as a company, they are more controlling on how their larger brands are depicted in any Disney media.

It's largely why we see arbitrary rules in their brands, too, like how the Disney Princesses are to never look at each other in any merchandise or marketing material because they exist in separate "realities". They allow exceptions but its rare.
It's just so strange considering that they own a movie franchise that shows how luxurious a connected universe can be and their biggest game series is a crossover game, which largely appeals to people because of the crossover potential.

Also in Wreck-It Ralph 2 one of the most promoted scenes were the Princesses interacting together. So it's not like they don't know the appeal having them together holds.

I mean how cool would it have been, if Disney didn't have that rule in place and all the party members from previous games had come to the Keyblade Graveyard to hold back the heartless while the Guardians moved forward to face the Seekers?

I get wanting to protect your brands, but to me it seems like their actions are holding them back from actually doing really cool stuff with them.

DizneyXBirds95

Awards
They got restrictive because their brand as a mega corporation recovered in the 2010s whereas prior to that, the Disney brand was in a bad place. With tons of money and a more cohesive, unified image as a company, they are more controlling on how their larger brands are depicted in any Disney media.

It's largely why we see arbitrary rules in their brands, too, like how the Disney Princesses are to never look at each other in any merchandise or marketing material because they exist in separate "realities". They allow exceptions but its rare.
I think it will depend on the specific Disney animated film, regardless if some of their more recent films do well at the Box Office ($400-900 million or $1.000 billion) or is made before the release of Princess and the Frog and Tangled (Pocahontas, Lilo & Stitch, Treasure Planet, Atlantis, etc..). As I said before in my previous posts,

As Nomura and the Development staff said in past interviews they did go on to say that Disney including the people that worked on the more recent films (Tangled, Frozen, etc..) that the new KH3 Disney worlds are based are still around and did put guidelines/restrictions regarding on the worlds giving Nomura and his team less freedom on these specific worlds, even Pixar also put guidelines to Nomura and Square Enix on the worlds based on their movies (Toy Story and Monster's Inc.), of course not in the same level as the guidelines seen in the Tangled and Frozen worlds, but it was mostly noticeable In the Monster's Inc. given how picky and restrictive they were on not allowing Randall to be a boss (more so a mid-boss) in the level, compared to the Toy Story world imao. San Fransokyo, from Big Hero 6 was I say the ONLY new Disney world out of the 5 new worlds (Kingdom of Corona, Toy Box, Monstropolis, and Arendelle) introduced in KH3, that Disney didn't put Guidelines and restrictions on given that the story was set after the events of the movie instead of being a retelling of the original film which allowed Nomura and his team creative freedom, of course credit goes to Roy Conli (producer of Big Hero 6) who came up with the original story.

Olympus (Hercules) and 100 Acre Wood (Winnie the Pooh) where the Disney worlds I say that I didn't see ANY restrictions put on in KH3 given that most of the people who worked on those films weren't involved in the game and Disney who had no involvement in the previous installments just allowed Nomura and his Team to do what they want given that they appeared in previous KH titles (same can be said with the other Disney worlds in previous games like Halloween Town (Nightmare Before Christmas), Neverland (Peter Pan), Land of Dragons (Mulan), etc..). I expect the same thing for some of the earlier Disney films that become worlds in future games like Pocahontas, Lilo & Stitch, Treasure Planet, Atlantis, Dumbo, Meet the Robinsons, among others will allow Nomura and his team more creative freedom.

The Caribbean (Pirates of the Caribbean) is in the grey area while it didn't had any of the people involved from the film series nor did it had guidelines like Arendelle, Corona and the Pixar-based worlds: Toy Box and Monstropolis (mainly the latter Pixar world) in KH3, they had to trimmed things down due to time constraints as that film was nearly 3 hours long (169 minutes) and also a lot of stuff has happened in the film hence why SDG spending time with the "Jack Sparrow" made by Tia Dalma.

I say the Disney worlds in Kingdom Hearts III that had the most strictness from Most strict to NO restrictions are:

1. Arendelle (Obviously, as said in most interviews by Nomura and the development team and MOST KH fans)
  2. Monstropolis
  3. Kingdom of Corona
  4. Toy Box (to some degree, but not quite)
  5. The Caribbean
  6. San Fransokyo
  7. Olympus
  8. 100 Acre Wood
I remain cautiously skeptical about the more recent Disney animated films becoming worlds in future games after the Frozen and especially the Tangled world's being wasted in Kingdom Hearts III.

SweetYetSalty

Awards

You know, I never noticed the princesses never look at one another in their merchandise. That is a very interesting guideline.

And that fully explains why the summons/links were all elementalish in appearance. I suppose it's not that big of a deal, as the journal still classifies them as those characters. Fire lion is still Simba after all. I guess I just find it weird since this issue didn't exist in previous KH titles.

It also makes me curious about future Disney bosses. I've said in the past I'd love a Bugs Life to fight Hopper, but now if we get that world we'll likely just get a massive bug Heartless born from him instead, lol.

DizneyXBirds95

Awards
You know, I never noticed the princesses never look at one another in their merchandise. That is a very interesting guideline.

And that fully explains why the summons/links were all elementalish in appearance. I suppose it's not that big of a deal, as the journal still classifies them as those characters. Fire lion is still Simba after all. I guess I just find it weird since this issue didn't exist in previous KH titles.

It also makes me curious about future Disney bosses. I've said in the past I'd love a Bugs Life to fight Hopper, but now if we get that world we'll likely just get a massive bug Heartless born from him instead, lol.
Yeah that's why I remain skeptical about getting A Bug's Life World in a future game, I'm just concerned that Pixar will pull a "Randall" on Hopper and not make him a boss given how clingy and restrictive they were on the Monster's Inc. world in KH3, even the same can be said on how Nomura and his team were too lazy to make CLU a boss in Dream Drop Distance.

It's a good thing Davy Jones was still a boss and didn't went the same route as Randall and CLU.

Last edited:

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I don't get why they're like that now. KH1 had Simba, Dumbo, and Bambi all as summons. KH2 had Chicken Little (to advertise his film I guess) and Peter Pan. If they're going to be so protective of the star characters, then maybe the summons should go back to sidekick-esque characters from the films, like Genie, Mushu, and Tinker Bell?

I mean, I guess KH3 is the only main series game where the only Disney interactions were Donald/Goofy and whatever world they were in and Maleficent/Pete. Not even Mickey talked to Maleficent or Pete. Can we go back to the days of Disney characters interacting with each other?
Come to think of it, the only time Mickey and Maleficent have ever interacted was in Coded, right? That's just bizarre. But, then, Maleficent's purposeless now.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Come to think of it, the only time Mickey and Maleficent have ever interacted was in Coded, right? That's just bizarre. But, then, Maleficent's purposeless now.
There was also that brief scene in DDD when Maleficent was holding Minnie hostage

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
A rule that nobody notices and can't help but to after they know.

I understand wanting to protect a brand, but it's hard to call these weird rules Disney has in place that.

Protecting a brand in KH should be about making sure these characters aren't butchered, not setting them on fire.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Another thing I do miss about summons was some of them Sora actually meets while on his journey. Summons like Genie, Tinker Bell, and even Stitch Sora met them and befriended them...well Stitch was more like a annoying pet lol. But things like Genie going with Sora to help find Jasmine and Tinker Bell ditching Peter Pan and trading up for Sora, I kinda miss those moments, as it gave some of the summons something of a mini story. None of the links in KH3 had that. I know it's not important but it was something small I enjoyed.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
A rule that nobody notices and can't help but to after they know.

I understand wanting to protect a brand, but it's hard to call these weird rules Disney has in place that.

Protecting a brand in KH should be about making sure these characters aren't butchered, not setting them on fire.

Exactly, but Disney doesn’t see it that way. They’d rather limit creativity to make sure things are being done the way they want them to go.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Exactly, but Disney doesn’t see it that way. They’d rather limit creativity to make sure things are being done the way they want them to go.
giphy.gif

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards

So should Nomura cancel the PoH? The last batch were mostly characters from older films. Having Rapunzel, Anna, and Elsa as PoH just screams "DO NOT TOUCH!"

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
There should have been no new PoH period. It is a dumb concept. What was wrong with the old ones? There were other ways to work the new princesses into KH3 without it being a contrived “New PoH” plotline.
I'm 99% positive this was all Disney wanting kick out the old ones in order to push their newer princesses.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
There should have been no new PoH period. It is a dumb concept. What was wrong with the old ones? There were other ways to work the new princesses into KH3 without it being a contrived “New PoH” plotline.
I like the concept that there are a select few at certain periods of time that are of pure light. I also like that it is 7, which is key to the formula to summon Kingdom Hearts. It makes me wonder if there are also 13 set darknesses out there. I hope with the new PoH they delve more into WHY they exist. There has to be a reason for 7 lights and it looks like the natural order is to summon Kingdom Hearts. But if they're trapped in their worlds, it seems that the system is designed for someone to always defy it and unite the PoH somehow... I just find that intriguing, especially when you consider how UX talks about it all being a system and a virus in the system and the whole destiny thing.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Well obviously it's for marketing purposes. I don't mind the new PoH, I just don't like how they handled it in KH3. They passed on their powers? When? How? Why? Why is Kairi still one but not the other six? What causes them to pass on their powers and to who did they pass their powers too? Did Snow White pass her's on to Elsa?

Worst of all they don't even go after them. Marluxia and Larxene do nothing but prevent Sora from getting to deep into the movie plots. They are not captured and given how big characters like Elsa, Anna, and Rapunzel are they likely will never be in any real danger like the OG PoH were, so this makes it pointless in a sense. Sorry this comes off more as a post for the Unpopular/Nitpick threads lol.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Well obviously it's for marketing purposes. I don't mind the new PoH, I just don't like how they handled it in KH3. They passed on their powers? When? How? Why? Why is Kairi still one but not the other six? What causes them to pass on their powers and to who did they pass their powers too? Did Snow White pass her's on to Elsa?

Worst of all they don't even go after them. Marluxia and Larxene do nothing but prevent Sora from getting to deep into the movie plots. They are not captured and given how big characters like Elsa, Anna, and Rapunzel are they likely will never be in any real danger like the OG PoH were, so this makes it pointless in a sense. Sorry this comes off more as a post for the Unpopular/Nitpick threads lol.
Which speaks to the real missed opportunity here, for the original PoH to engage as proactive characters within the story for once. There are myriad ways they could have come to Sora et al's aid, from helping him or Riku/Mickey to access/navigate the RoD, to holding back the Heartless in the Keyblade Graveyard, to meeting Sora in The Final World and taking on the task of guiding him back to being whole, there are endless options for integrating them organically into the story and making them seem empowered and significant in their role within the universe. Instead, they're minimized through their absence and whatever "power" is ascribed to them is framed solely as, at best, a passive (and passing) conferment of status, and at worst, a vulnerability that makes them eternally subject to pursuit by evildoers.

It's also a disservice to Anna, Elsa and Rapunzel as characters, since they're essentially doomed to never receive any attention beyond incidental mentions in the context of lore relevance, but also because there were so many other interesting methods of folding them into the framework of KH3. Concerns about sequel baiting aside, if Nomura really wanted to run with this motif that Marluxia and Larxene are present in KH3 to signal their future relevance for the Foretellers storyline, why not tie the worlds they visit to that idea explicitly and offer suggestions that they are (either of their own accord or under Xehanort's directive) seeking out Elsa and Rapunzel as an investigation into their extant Disney-provided powers. Rapunzel has the ability to heal any wound and basically keep people from dying altogether; Elsa is aberrational in the sheer prowess of her ice magic (she basically subjects an entire world to an eternal winter); those abilities could easily be married to a kind of "disturbance in the Force" plotline that could incorporate any number of influential factors from the "Age of Fairytales," from the Foretellers themselves to meddling on the part of the MoM to a kind of ripple effect from the (apparently frequent) Keyblade Wars over KH which have taken place over the eons. Maybe it could even have something to do with that diddlying box.

While we're at it, the whole of KH3 could use this sort of thematic renovation. Toy Box could have been a place that interested Xehanort not because the toys live of their own accord, but because they were given life through the sheer belief in them and love for them that existed in the heart of Andy, a child like the children of legend who held the remnants of the world together after it was shattered by the greed of the Keyblade wielders like Xehanort. Monstropolis could have been more than an expository infodump on previous titles if the connection between Boo, Mike and Sully was treated as anything more than ornamental-- that is, if it was treated as what it represents, which is a connection that crosses worlds in direct defiance of the "world order." Monstropolis itself has such massive potential as a world that intersects with (presumably) all others through its doors; you've got the beating heart of a god of death locked in a box in The Caribbean; this stuff writes itself.

redcrown

Awards
Since in particular the Disney Princesses are untouchable and heavily guarded by their mouse overlord more than ever, does this mean having Princes of Light is a doable concept now? If they ever bring back the Hearts of Light device again in the future that is.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
I don't know. Honestly, I NEVER use summons. Ever. I feel like they're completely unnecessary.
Tinker Bell was invaluable to me in KH1 to survive the End of the World fights without dying. Especially that one right before the Final Rest with 10000000 heartless. Lol.

I never really used summons in KH2, always felt that game was fine without them. In KH3 I actually felt they made the game harder, as their limited power usually locked you to a specific moveset or location.

Back