• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Future announcements?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
What I wish they would do is drop 2-3 games that are similar to 0.2, either as a collection or individually over the course of 2 years (2021-2023 most likely)

They should be quick, but well made 3 hour story campaigns, that have secret bosses, and hidden collectibles that add more replay value with post game content (just like 0.2.)

They could make a BBS trio game, a DAYS trio game, and Kairi/Riku game that all narratively lead into KH4, with Sora and Yozora being the big-boy 30 hour game like the other numbered installments.

They already have the engine and the assets from Kh3 to do it, and they could even announce them all together like they did back in the day with Days, Coded, and BBS.

With those 3 mini games, and dark road in the near future, that would be more than enough to keep KH fans happy until KH4 releases like 13 years from now.
What, no Mickey/Donald/Goofy game? I've been waiting for a Mickey-led KH game ever since KH2 teased the possibility.

AegisXIII

Awards
What, no Mickey/Donald/Goofy game? I've been waiting for a Mickey-led KH game ever since KH2 teased the possibility.
Disney + rumor might be about Mickey Donald and Goofy adventures?

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
Doubt it'll be called DDD Volume 2 though. If past games are any indication, it'll be called Oath to Return just like how BbS was name dropped in 2's secret ending.

Ehhh, but "Another Side, Another Story" was never used as a KH title. Neither has Reconnect: Kingdom Hearts. So it's iffy.

I mean, it could be called that since Nomura heavily implied that the next game will have Kairi as the protagonist, as well as how the word "Oath" tends to be connected with Kairi, seeing how Oathkeeper is symbolic of Sora's memories of Kairi.

But "An Oath to Return" could just be the next overarching theme for this saga, and it very well might apply to others as well as Sora. Reconnect (if I were to guess) was about bringing everyone back together again, lining the pieces up and fixing what was originally broken. Sora's whole job in the Xehanort saga was to reconnect everything because he's at the center of everything (DDD explains this, during a piece appropriately called 'Link to All').

An Oath to Return can refer to Sora, Yozora (because he's apparently not himself, even his appearance isn't "him"), the girl who's the Nameless Star that Yozora is looking for, Subject X that's gone AWOL, the Fortellers, and of course... The Master of Masters (Xigbar even says in one of the Secret Reports that 'He will return'). Maybe even Strelitzia if she didn't truly bite the dust. The difference between this and Reconnect is that Sora might not be a big player in this saga, he's still the protagonist, but he might not be Mr. Fix-It this time.

The Kairi/Riku game's name will probably be different, but for the sake of the format, the likely goal and route they'll have to take, DDDv2 is essentially what I mean. A placeholder title that pretty much says what the idea is. But then again, 0.2 still had the Birth by Sleep title as well as "A Fragmentary Passage" on top of that, so who knows. Knowing Nomura, it could be anything.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
As long as its a spiritual sequel to 3D with Dream Eaters + playable Riku, I'll be fine with any title. Kingdom Hearts: Oath to Return sounds a bit lacking somehow, but this is the series of weird titles.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Some titles I think could work for DDD Volume 2 are "Kingdom Hearts Game of Fate" or "Kingdom Hearts Return to Light". Return to Light referring to Sora coming back to life in the Realm of Light

Gandalf-the-Wise

Awards
I for one sincerely hope we do not have too many side games before KHIV. I think anywhere between two to three is reasonable enough. A game based on Kairi and Riku traveling through dream worlds, and a game based on Yozora being the main character. Those two games end up crossing over as they have similar themes about oath keeping and saving a "Sora". Maybe Riku & Kairi bump into Yozora while passing through sleeping worlds. The two games together both lead into Kingdom Hearts 4.

At the moment I have no idea what Nomura plans are for Aqua, Ven, and Terra. I suppose while Riku and Kairi travel through the sleeping realm, AVT figure they might have better luck retrieving Sora by venturing through the dark realm instead. Not sure it's enough story to warrant a full thirty to forty hour game. Maybe it will be more along the lines of BBS 0.2, being a short game ranging between five to ten hours maximum.

As for Roxas, Xion, Lea, and the Twilight Town crew...I personally feel like they capped off their story in KHIII. What else is there to tell with that group?

Last edited:

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Yeah, the 3D sequel where Riku (and Kairi, I guess...) revive Sora is the only side game I want between KH3 and 4... Yozora and the Foretellers' story can be told IN KH4, please and thank you.

I wouldn't mind too much about a Days 2 either though, shockingly.... Only because I'd like to see Roxas, Xion, Lea, Isa, and HPO all interacting on a daily basis; ideally they would have a fun chemistry together, but I thought the same thing about Days I with regards to seeing the Org. members actually interact and we know how that turned out. Although the real problem is, as you say, what story would they even tell? Perhaps if Namine is there, they could tell a story where shenanigans happen in Twilight Town-only (maybe with Mysterious Tower connected to TT like in KH2, to occasionally see Yensid, Sora, Riku, etc. in a few cutscenes if necessary) and Lea-Isa bring back the Mystery Girl through memories or some such? It would be a nice thematic connection to me if one game was Riku and Kairi reviving Sora through dreams and the other was Lea and Isa reviving Mystery Girl through memories.

SuperNova

Awards
One bridge game with DDDv2 is all I want before KH4 please. Let it be like COM was for KH2. A second game starring Yozora and "Verum Rex." could also hold potential.

But I'm afraid if Nomura does more than one or two bridge games that the good grace he's gained from newer fans might be lost due to disinterest and those who only play the "main title" games.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Yeah, the 3D sequel where Riku (and Kairi, I guess...) revive Sora is the only side game I want between KH3 and 4... Yozora and the Foretellers' story can be told IN KH4, please and thank you.

I wouldn't mind too much about a Days 2 either though, shockingly.... Only because I'd like to see Roxas, Xion, Lea, Isa, and HPO all interacting on a daily basis; ideally they would have a fun chemistry together, but I thought the same thing about Days I with regards to seeing the Org. members actually interact and we know how that turned out. Although the real problem is, as you say, what story would they even tell? Perhaps if Namine is there, they could tell a story where shenanigans happen in Twilight Town-only (maybe with Mysterious Tower connected to TT like in KH2, to occasionally see Yensid, Sora, Riku, etc. in a few cutscenes if necessary) and Lea-Isa bring back the Mystery Girl through memories or some such? It would be a nice thematic connection to me if one game was Riku and Kairi reviving Sora through dreams and the other was Lea and Isa reviving Mystery Girl through memories.
The Days gang have Subject X. I may not like how they introduced that plot, but I won't complain as it gives them a potential thing to do for the future. I also want to see how Isa fits in with the others given their adversarial past. I wouldn't mind returning to some Disney worlds with them. Imagine Roxas' surprise going back to Beast Castle when the candelabra isn't a candelabra anymore. But mainly I want the Twilight Town slice of life. I want to see Lea wearing a Heath Slater shirt that says 'I got kids' Where do they live? That's the first thing I want to know. What's their school like? Unlike Roxas or Axel, Xion doesn't have other connections and never experienced a normal life, what if she has trouble adjusting? New seven wonders. HPO do something. Isa working at the bistro with Remy on his head. The possibilities are endless.

It is also my belief that Xion leeched Axel's memories of Subject X out of him which is why he forgot her and never brought her up until Saix ReMinded him of her in KH3. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Gandalf-the-Wise

Awards
Yozora and the Foretellers' story can be told IN KH4, please and thank you

I would rather this to be the case. Have one great side game with Kairi and Riku as the main characters and THAT's it! Sometimes less is more and not having too many games could improve the quality of the upcoming games themselves as well as the story too. I do yearn for the more simpler days of having one main game then a side game and then a main game again after that (KH1- KHCOM - KH2). Why can't we just return to that? One thing you can give about KH2 is that besides catching up on what occurred in COM, we didn't really need to relearn a bunch of other storylines and characters to finally get a hold of what's happening in the story. Majority of KH3 was basically recapping like five freaking side games.

I agree @Tartarus , save the Foreteller and Yozora explanations for an actual sequel, not for yet another spinoff. Certainly don't save it for a mobile game either.

Last edited:

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
Definitely hoping for the hinted at Riku and Kairi (and probably Yozora) DDD 2.0, and I could see it being announced soon. But I imagine it might come out for the series' twentieth anniversary like DDD came out for its tenth?

A lot of people think we may get a Verum Rex game... and that would make sense. But I just feel we won't. I think the only way Nomura was legally able to do Verum Rex stuff, is if it's part of Kingdom Hearts. But I could be wrong.

I also get why some people think we could get a Wayfinder Trio game in the Realm of Darkness now. It'd certainly be nice to round out BbS' story that way--with them finally being a good unit and traveling together like they should have; and Ven and Terra being there for Aqua while going back to her trauma--but I also don't know if this would be a game? Because I think 0.2 kind of showed it's hard to have worlds there... Unless we suddenly have new Disney worlds lose their hearts and sink down there that way. IDK. Maybe this would work best as flashbacks in KHIV or something. I could also see this being in the potential TV show, or whatever, as well as what the Sea Salt Trio's doing.

And speaking of the Sea Salt Trio... I just get the feeling they're retired. And while Roxas and Xion are trying to help Sora with Namine delving into their memories, they'll be cameos in the next saga at best.

Oh! And on the subject of Namine... I know it's probably the last thing on the agenda, but I'd love a Namine game (or for her to be playable in a Kairi one, perhaps). Because now it seems like she's the one falling by the wayside, and is now the only main character to never be playable. And since she's not a Keyblade wielder (yet), she could have such interesting gameplay! I could see her playing like Aerith from FFVII Remake. Or a mage from the Tales series. And I've said this for years... but I could see her fighting power being status effects. Like, she writes into someone's memories that they got poisoned and then they act like they are because they think they are or something. I still think it probably won't happen, though. At least not now, or perhaps for a long time. But then again... Nomura said he wanted to do more with Namine in III, but couldn't since she wasn't a fighter and didn't know how to work her into that plot. But it definitely seemed like he was going to try and work those ideas into the future. So maybe playable Namine could come from it--or at least more Namine screentime--who knows?

DizneyXBirds95

Awards
Who knows what will be announced this year in terms of new games in the KH series and whether it will be announced sometime this month or later this year.

I do expect the next new KH game (DDD v2; the KH game centered on Riku and Kairi) that is in development and coming sooner for the PS5 (or whichever console it's releasing) will likely come out around mid-late 2021 or 2022, perhaps the latter as it's the 20th anniversary of the first KH game and the KH franchise and going by the release pattern on how they release a new Kingdom Hearts game, it's usually 1-2 or 2-3 years for a new KH game (depending of the KH title) to come out. The longest we had to wait for a new KH title was II.8 Final Chapter Prologue which came out 5 years after the release of Dream Drop Distance in 2012.

So I envision DDD V2 by late 2021/early 2022, and KHIV approx. 2023/2024.

Square Enix is still using the Unreal Engine 4, and they can still reuse the character models (e.g. Sora, Riku, Kairi, Donald, Goofy, Roxas, Ventus, Aqua, The Foretellers, Xigbar, etc..) and worlds (e.g. Twilight Town, Radiant Garden, Destiny Islands, Toy Box, Arendelle) from Kingdom Hearts III for the next KH games without restarting from scratch again so development will move a lot faster than in previous KH titles. However, when it comes to the new Disney/Original worlds and characters they create, it may take them another year or two to develop, plus with the announcement of Unreal Engine 5, it will make the development cycle for the next KH games interesting.

Here's a breakdown for the development for the KH games:
  • The first KH game started development started in the year 2000 and ended in late 2001/early 2002 (Jan./Feb. 2002) which means development lasted for 2 years. For Kingdom Hearts II, development started after the release of KH Final Mix in December 2002 and lasted until mid-late 2005 (2 1/2-3 years).
  • Not sure how long development for Chain of Memories, Coded, and 358/2 Days took, but I think the former started sometime after the release of the first KH game and before KH2 entered Development.
  • Development for Birth By Sleep started since 2005 and lasted until late 2009 (4 years), Dream Drop Distance started since early 2010 following the release of BBS and lasted until late 2011/early 2012 (1 1/2-2 years).
  • Finally, Kingdom Hearts III had the most interesting development for a KH game, as development started since late 2012/early 2013 but due to a switch from Square's Luminous engine to the Unreal Engine 4 in October 2014, development for KH3 restarted under the new engine up until November 2018 (5-6 years of KH3 being in development (1-2 years under Luminous; 4.25 years under the Unreal Engine 4).
  • Regarding the II.8 Final Chapter Prologue, I think development for that title started around the same time that KH3 switched into the Unreal Engine 4 (October 2014), even the Graphics from 0.2 Birth By Sleep seems to suggest it was the first KH title that the team was testing on and the graphics for this game looked uncanny when compared to the Unreal Engine graphics of the X Back Cover movie and Kingdom Hearts III.
Also, most new Kingdom Hearts games usually are announced at the Tokyo Game Show (e.g. Kingdom Hearts II, Coded, 358/2 Days, BBS, the HD Collections and II.8 Final Chapter Prologue), but there were some exceptions to this, such as Dream Drop Distance (previously announced as KH: 3D) and Kingdom Hearts III which were announced at E3 2010 and E3 2013 respectively.

But with E3 and TGS canceled due to COVID-19, Nomura and Square Enix need to make some sort of announcement sometime this month or later this year, unless if they want to continue focusing on highlighting Union χ and Dark Road instead.

Nanelle

Because I think 0.2 kind of showed it's hard to have worlds there... Unless we suddenly have new Disney worlds lose their hearts and sink down there that way. IDK
Perhaps pieces of the Verum Rex world are down there. Verum Rex being possibly a different kind of existence than the other worlds, maybe the heartless or whatever new monsters took it by fragments instead.

D

Deleted member 252753

And speaking of the Sea Salt Trio... I just get the feeling they're retired. And while Roxas and Xion are trying to help Sora with Namine delving into their memories, they'll be cameos in the next saga at best.
I wouldn't expect much from them in the short term but I think longer term they could still be important. Particularly, the Re Mind scenes with Roxas talking about the Sigil and the 'last key' struck me as potentially significant so I won't be surprised if Roxas, at least, takes centre stage again at some point.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
I still wished we'd get a Days remake. Of all the KH games, that's the one I see as having the most room for improvement. Not having Days/Coded/Chi playable in those collections is a shortcoming that deserves to be addressed.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I still wished we'd get a Days remake. Of all the KH games, that's the one I see as having the most room for improvement. Not having Days/Coded/Chi playable in those collections is a shortcoming that deserves to be addressed.
I've sadly given up on a true Days remake. It sucks that all it got was the movie that leaves out a ton of stuff and made changes that I don't necessarily agree with, but I've accepted that I won't be getting it :(

I can only hope for a new Twilight Town gang game.

I wouldn't expect much from them in the short term but I think longer term they could still be important. Particularly, the Re Mind scenes with Roxas talking about the Sigil and the 'last key' struck me as potentially significant so I won't be surprised if Roxas, at least, takes centre stage again at some point.
I actually thought the Sigil was the last key. It was said to disappear with Xemnas, right? It's probably gone now.

D

Deleted member 252753

I actually thought the Sigil was the last key. It was said to disappear with Xemnas, right? It's probably gone now.
Yeah that's right. It's more that I thought the scene just gave off a vibe of importance and that phrase 'the last key' appeared in the secret ending of DDD but I don't have a particular theory about it.

Back