• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Funimation will stream The World Ends With You - The Animation in 2021

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Funimation announced during FunimationCon 2020 weekend that they will be streaming The World Ends With You - The Animation when it releases worldwide in 2021. They have not yet announced that they intend to simuldub the show.

In an interview with chrisora2066 yesterday during the livestream of The World Ends With You - The Animation Special Panel, the English voice actor for Neku, Jesse David Corti, said that he has not yet been contacted about recording for the show.

Follow Kingdom Hearts Insider on Facebook and Twitter for the latest updates on The World Ends With You, the rumored Kingdom Hearts Disney Plus series, Kingdom Hearts Union χ [Cross], Kingdom Hearts Dark Road, Kingdom Hearts 3, Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory and all things Kingdom Hearts!

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I did want to say that this gives me hope that we might see this show hit other streaming services outside of Funimation like Hulu. Also, I'm REALLY praying that they get the old cast back for this if they can.

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards
Curious if this means they’ll dub it. If so well then there is a chance we’ll get a different English cast,

KudoTsurugi

Awards
Curious if this means they’ll dub it. If so well then there is a chance we’ll get a different English cast,

To paraphrase what I said in a related thread here, it'll likely be a 50/50 shot. They'll either get the cast back like they did with the Tales of Zestiria anime(they even brought in the Berseria cast for the tie-in episodes), or they'll dub it in-house like they did with Ace Attorney. For now, it's too early to say.

prjio307

I live in New York, in the Rochester area
They brought back the original cast for 3D and they gave pretty great performances, so I don’t see why they would change the cast for the anime - at least from an artistic standpoint. From a financial/contractual standpoint, they may very well opt to change the voice cast up.

SuperNova

Awards
I'm really hoping they bring back the English cast but at the same time I hope it doesn't end up like the P5 Animation English Dub situation where we wait 2 years for a dub only for it to be sent straight to a 300 DVD set. (Looking at you Amniplex.)

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
They brought back the original cast for 3D and they gave pretty great performances, so I don’t see why they would change the cast for the anime - at least from an artistic standpoint. From a financial/contractual standpoint, they may very well opt to change the voice cast up.

It's very possible if SE themselves would have no involvement with the dubbing and let Funimation make the decisions. They couldn't even be bothered to acknowledge the anime's announcement on social media.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I'm really hoping they bring back the English cast but at the same time I hope it doesn't end up like the P5 Animation English Dub situation where we wait 2 years for a dub only for it to be sent straight to a 300 DVD set. (Looking at you Amniplex.)

Funimation isn't like Aniplex lol They like money, so they will probably try to simuldub and then have preorders for the physical version available as soon as the series finishes airing and it'll release a few months after.

Aniplex is like the worst of the worst, but they see themselves as some sort of luxury brand so they always get away with it.

As Sign has said, SE might not even be involved in the dubbing process. It's probably all on Funimation and as it has been discussed in this thread and other threads in this section, it is a 50/50 situation. They will either dub in-house in Texas, which means non-union voice actors from their talent pool, or they will dub in LA which means they will likely try to get the cast back first and then work from there.

Just depends on how the wind blows.

SuperNova

Awards
Aniplex does decent work as a dubbing company, but they are full of themselves. :cautious: I much prefer the potential dub be in the hands of Funimation even if they aren't my favorite dubbing group.

2 quid is good

Awards
I'm just wondering, can't SE dub it themselves? Why did they not handle localisation and then sell streaming/tv/dvd rights to a third party?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I'm just wondering, can't SE dub it themselves? Why did they not handle localisation and then sell streaming/tv/dvd rights to a third party?

I would hardly have an answer, but I would hazard a guess and say it is because Domerica and Shin-Ei have control over the rights for the show? Somebody more knowledgable would know, but while a significant amount of SE staff are involved with this project, this isn't THEIR project.

2 quid is good

Awards
I would hardly have an answer, but I would hazard a guess and say it is because Domerica and Shin-Ei have control over the rights for the show? Somebody more knowledgable would know, but while a significant amount of SE staff are involved with this project, this isn't THEIR project.
Yeah that's along the lines of what I was thinking, but it just feels better to have someone else affirm it y'know xD

Ah well, worse case scenario Neku will sound identical to Deku.... Mmm nope, I still don't want that

KudoTsurugi

Awards
Aniplex does decent work as a dubbing company, but they are full of themselves. :cautious: I much prefer the potential dub be in the hands of Funimation even if they aren't my favorite dubbing group.
Aniplex is a licensor and distributor in America, they contract recording studios to dub their properties. For shows like ERASED, SAO, Magi and the Fate franchise, they've contracted Bang Zoom Entertainment. And for Persona 5's anime, according to ANN at least, it turns out they've contracted the same studio that's been recording for the games, PCB Productions. Interestingly, they also handled the dub casting for P4's initial anime too, also done by Bang Zoom. Might be the same for P5, but I'll wait till that dub comes out.

Who knows, maybe Funi will get Skylark Sound Studios(the studio who recorded the TWEWY & KH's English audio) involved in the casting if they want to bring in the game cast.

Last edited:
Back