• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Fun with Windows 10. NOT!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChibiHearts249

Trapped in the Source Filmmaker
Awards
So it'll be necessary in the end regardless? ;n;

Maybe a month or two?
Well I mean; all things considered it's not really THAT dreadful. Windows 8.1 was the spawn of some ancient god and a troll so I'm glad to have that crap out my...window...

Bad puns aside I don't really mind Windows 10. I like the interface more, Edge works (somewhat at least but I still prefer Chrome) and it's easier to find the core settings in your computer to do some of the things that were harder before: like cleaning up your files or just fixing drivers and such. It just needs a bit of time to be fixed up after people use it to find all the things that NEED fixing. But I don't see a reason not to upgrade while it's free. I've been avoiding using my bank account on my computer because of people talking about security issues (not sure whether all that is true but better safe than sorry) and the fraud that someone tried to pull on me a couple months back BEFORE Windows 10.

So if you want to upgrade and find out what you do and don't like then I say go for it. Unless you're in love with your current OS then there's no reason not to. Just be sure you've got the day to work with it and make sure you update your drivers and all your stuff works.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
I agree on Edge. Edge works, but b/c I'm a security nut and I hate seeing ads, I'll stick with Firefox, thanks. Firefox runs just fine.

Me, I got gung ho on security because there was a sudden epidemic, and I do mean a EPIDEMIC, of account thefts with FFXI a few years back. I was on PS2 at the time so I was bulletproof(the only way a PS2 account could be stolen would be though a insider or if you swapped to PC; insider thefts did happen at one point, tho I wasn't a victim), but it was later traced to bad/poisoned ads, for the most part. I figure, if someone could steal my Mithra, what else could they steal? My credit union account? So I run adblocker plus and noscript, I practice some common sense about what I install, and I do monthly checks for spyware/viruses. Oh and when I install freeware, I always custom install; I hate extra toolbars. Among other nasteh garbage.

Most people proly won't have to go so far, but Common Sense is something we all should practice. ^^ Even if you never touch a mmo, it's good practice to be careful about your system security; as I said, if those criminals could steal my Mithra, could they steal my credit union checking account too? Prolly.

Last edited:

Anagram

Banned
You guys are talking foreign language to me. Core settings? Files? Drivers? I have no idea about any of that. I use this computer just to browse a bit every day, nothing more.
My aunt showed me some of Norton though so I dont get a crashed computer though.

I ask if 10 is necessary because I know I have no clue how to set any of it. That guide thing just confuses me.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Okay. Give me a chance to get some sleep, and I'll try to write a guide myself in the morning in plain english, with screens for the security part.

But rundown on what drivers are: Drivers are programs the PC needs to say, use the printer. Or your tablet. Or that nice scanner you got the other day. Or your joystick/joypad. Or your graphics card(that's what tells the PC how to put stuff on your screen). Or your network card/network port. Or sometimes even the USB ports! You need to find out what devices on your system use those. Left click on My Computer, hit Properties, and go looking. (Don't mess with ANYTHING, you can royally screw up your computer if you don't know wtf you are doing.) If it identifies something(like saying your mouse is a Microsoft mouse, like what mine'd say) and doesn't have a question mark by it, that's using a driver. Most of them are downloadable; you just need to find out who made the device and find their website and check the support section. I suggest if it's important, go download them and put them on a USB hdd. And by important, network driver, video driver, mouse. Windows 10, if things go south, will find and install the rest for you, which is very nice. (I'd say they tried to make it idiot proof.)

As for files; All you really need to do is copy the My Documents directory to a USB portable hdd.(that's how I back up my files; hopefully that's easier to understand) Also make sure before you TOUCH it you have any commercial program disks right near you. Freeware/shareware; meh! just make sure you can get it again. Oh and to back up your bookmarks on Firefox, go to Bookmarks>>Show All Bookmarks>>Import and Backup>>Backup. Do that too and save on that handy USB HDD, you do NOT want to lose your bookmarks if things go screwy.

Also; since PCs are really part of our lives now, I hate to say it but you might want to check out PCs for Dummies sometime.(Note; Windows 10 is so new that no books have been written for it yet, and a new edition of that book should be out soonish that covers Windows 10. But that should get you up to speed.)

ChibiHearts249

Awards
You guys are talking foreign language to me. Core settings? Files? Drivers? I have no idea about any of that. I use this computer just to browse a bit every day, nothing more.
My aunt showed me some of Norton though so I dont get a crashed computer though.

I ask if 10 is necessary because I know I have no clue how to set any of it. That guide thing just confuses me.
I swear to you I know next to NOTHING about computers as well. You're not alone. But some of my hardware requires I learn a bit about it, particularly when things inexplicably stop working. To keep it simple, for your everyday browsing as long as you're not worried that your firewall will crap out on you: Windows 10 will not hurt you. At all. (Or at least not that anyone has noticed yet)

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Just got Windows 10, and god, it's SLOW.

Maybe sticking to Windows 7 or 8 would be a good idea. If not, I'm not sure what to say :/

Last edited:

ChibiHearts249

Awards
Just got Windows 10, and god, it's SLOW.

Maybe sticking to Windows 7 or 8 would be a good idea. If not, I'm not sure what to say :/
I just got on my PC's support website and updated everything to Windows 10. It took me about an hour and a half to do 11 updates (thanks a load, HP) but mine was running glitchy and slow just before that. Everything seems to be a bit better now. I'll let you guys know if I keep having issues. I guess I volunteer to be the Windows 10 guinea pig lol

Anagram

Banned
Okay. Give me a chance to get some sleep, and I'll try to write a guide myself in the morning in plain english, with screens for the security part.

But rundown on what drivers are: Drivers are programs the PC needs to say, use the printer. Or your tablet. Or that nice scanner you got the other day. Or your joystick/joypad. Or your graphics card(that's what tells the PC how to put stuff on your screen). Or your network card/network port. Or sometimes even the USB ports! You need to find out what devices on your system use those. Left click on My Computer, hit Properties, and go looking. (Don't mess with ANYTHING, you can royally screw up your computer if you don't know wtf you are doing.) If it identifies something(like saying your mouse is a Microsoft mouse, like what mine'd say) and doesn't have a question mark by it, that's using a driver. Most of them are downloadable; you just need to find out who made the device and find their website and check the support section. I suggest if it's important, go download them and put them on a USB hdd. And by important, network driver, video driver, mouse. Windows 10, if things go south, will find and install the rest for you, which is very nice. (I'd say they tried to make it idiot proof.)

As for files; All you really need to do is copy the My Documents directory to a USB portable hdd.(that's how I back up my files; hopefully that's easier to understand) Also make sure before you TOUCH it you have any commercial program disks right near you. Freeware/shareware; meh! just make sure you can get it again. Oh and to back up your bookmarks on Firefox, go to Bookmarks>>Show All Bookmarks>>Import and Backup>>Backup. Do that too and save on that handy USB HDD, you do NOT want to lose your bookmarks if things go screwy.

Also; since PCs are really part of our lives now, I hate to say it but you might want to check out PCs for Dummies sometime.(Note; Windows 10 is so new that no books have been written for it yet, and a new edition of that book should be out soonish that covers Windows 10. But that should get you up to speed.)

*is confused even more now* I dont have any commercial stuff. I have things like Krita downloaded onto it, a printer and drawing thing. =/
I didn't get a scanner. D=

I think I'll pass on the book. I'd rather not rely on a computer that much. I keep it so empty of things for a reason. It's just to easy to lose things on computers to put faith in them. Plus I'm having trouble comprehending your breakdown so I doubt a book will help much better. TnT

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Yeah, can be. But yeah, your mouse and video proly use drivers.

I rely on mine a lot since it's a mid to low end gaming pc. Games, writing things, keeping track of what's what.

And you're not alone on relying on freeware/shareware. I have quite a bit on my pc. Always have. Trillan, the GIMP, Filezilla, LibreOffice, Notepad ++, qBittorrent...just to name a few. I do have some stuff I paid for on here too. (that's what I call commercial software. Your antivirus btw is commercial software, I use a freeware solution though. Avast! which is really good)

And I admit, I learned about computers mostly in self defense and in respect for the brother who builds pcs in the house. I don't want to keep hollerin' at him to come upstairs because my pc stuffed up AGAIN. (No "BRO GET YOUR BUTT UP HERE! PRINTER WON'T WORK!" or have him taunt me b/c I got spyware/crud/trash on my pc and he has to do a wipe-and-redo, if you know what I mean. I hate that garbage, anyway.) Not to mention that if all goes well, eventually he won't be in the same house with me, so I'd better know how to fix it myself and all the other stuff, I don't want to pay money to get it fixed.

Anagram

Banned
Yeah, can be. But yeah, your mouse and video proly use drivers.

I rely on mine a lot since it's a mid to low end gaming pc. Games, writing things, keeping track of what's what.

And you're not alone on relying on freeware/shareware. I have quite a bit on my pc. Always have. Trillan, the GIMP, Filezilla, LibreOffice, Notepad ++, qBittorrent...just to name a few. I do have some stuff I paid for on here too. (that's what I call commercial software. Your antivirus btw is commercial software, I use a freeware solution though. Avast! which is really good)
My mouse just plugged in and worked though.... Video?

So I'd have to redownload my Norton? D=

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Then it's proly using native windows stuff, so no problem. Prolly same with your video unless that's a bought from the store pc (Dell, etc), then you don't know. Drivers can be quite sneaky things b/c they are pretty invisible..unless stuff goes wrong. THEN you notice them.

No, you wouldn't have to download it again unless things go bad. From what I understand, 95% of people have no troubles with the Windows 10 upgrade. I was the unlucky one, hence why I had to redo my system twice. :rolleyes:

Anagram

Banned
Then it's proly using native windows stuff, so no problem. Prolly same with your video unless that's a bought from the store pc (Dell, etc), then you don't know. Drivers can be quite sneaky things b/c they are pretty invisible..unless stuff goes wrong. THEN you notice them.

No, you wouldn't have to download it again unless things go bad. From what I understand, 95% of people have no troubles with the Windows 10 upgrade. I was the unlucky one, hence why I had to redo my system twice. :rolleyes:

It came from dell but not a store. There's no stores near here so it comes directly from dell. Sooooo....not sure what the video is. I haven't added anything to it besides Krita & Norton though.

My luck isn't the best though poppet. xD

ChibiHearts249

Awards
*late to the party*
@Incognito: Think of your mouse like a gaming controller. If it was built to work with the console, then it automatically works. Like a DualShock4 working on a PS4. But say you wanted to use a GameCube controller on your Wii U. You need the adapter, right? Well, that's how drivers and such work. They're just the right adapter to get something working in case it's not.
I have a Windows PC, and that's Microsoft. Microsoft does XBox, so I can just plug in an XBox controller and play right away. But if I wanna use PS3 I need some software for it to become compatible :3

Is that any easier to understand? I suck with computers. Things really just need to be compatible, and drivers are a way of doing that. Along with other softwares.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Just for the rest of you, I found out from watching This thread on Blue Gartr that dell PCs (like Incognito has) may have issues either upgrading to Windows 10 or clean installing it. As in the dumb thing may not activate, which opens up a huge can of worms.

Incognito already knows this but anyone with a Dell should prolly check with the company and find out when they'll allow it.

Anagram

Banned
Just for the rest of you, I found out from watching This thread on Blue Gartr that dell PCs (like Incognito has) may have issues either upgrading to Windows 10 or clean installing it. As in the dumb thing may not activate, which opens up a huge can of worms.

Incognito already knows this but anyone with a Dell should prolly check with the company and find out when they'll allow it.

Aaaannnnddddd with that I've decided to just wait a few months. I got until July of next year. I doubt it'll take long for it to smooth out either.

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
Any of you guys know how to stop an update from updating? It's not a Microsoft Update, its from one of my devices.

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
Thanks Chibi :), I had a problem with my wireless devices before. The problem was that their latest version doesn't allow my devices to work during the full update. So every time the computer auto-update it stops working. I have to delete the install and place my Bluetooth receiver again and again once it auto-update.

ChibiHearts249

Awards
Thanks Chibi :), I had a problem with my wireless devices before. The problem was that their latest version doesn't allow my devices to work during the full update. So every time the computer auto-update it stops working. I have to delete the install and place my Bluetooth receiver again and again once it auto-update.
Ok, have you gone into the settings of your computer and shut off the automatic updates before? I have an HP so the HP Support Assistant is in the bottom right of my taskbar and I can go there to do it. They bus me my updates. See if your computer has any sort've help assistant (look online and download it if you need it) and see if you can find the settings to turn automatic updates off. There's usually multiple ways it requests to update: you schedule and confirm all updates, they update automatically as the device restarts, and immediately updating. He's not responding to me just yet, so this is all I know what to do. I had to download a later version of Skype this way and refuse to update it because at the time the new Skype wasn't working.

But I've no idea if any of this can affect a Microsoft update. I have mine set to accept updates from Microsoft since I've got Windows 10 and I kinda need those updates right now. But my PC HAS frozen during multiple updates before. I simply force it to shut down (with the power button lol) and I don't delete anything: I just switch it back on as it tries to finish it again. Usually the 2nd time it actually goes through.

If you've already tried this, I'll see if I can't keep trying to contact him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back