• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Fun with Windows 10. NOT!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
I'd say go for it, as long as you unplug most usb things other than keyboard and mouse (and uninstall the windows 7 Xbox 360 drivers if you have that), you should be fine. Oh and back up your stuff first. Just in case it goes south.

Let me get the rest of the lifehacker articles that might help you after:

All About Windows 10 Privacy Settings
Customizing the Windows 10 Start Menu
How to Tweak Windows 10 and Fix its minor annoyances
What you can ask Cortana to do if you use it (I don't have it on)
Everything You Need to Know about Windows 10
The Best Windows 10 Features You Prolly Haven't Heard About (I'm bookmarking this one.)

I think that covers it all, I can look further back in Lifehacker if you need to know more.

Also; I can tell you right now, I don't usually mess with the "apps"; I haven't hardly even TOUCHED the windows store yet. So much good open source stuff available that works just fine. Also be careful if you do mess with the Windows Store; a lot of stuff on there is for touch screens. Since I'm a KB and mouse girl, you may find the apps there are kinda sorta useless if you're like me and don't have a touch screen.

Last edited:

Anagram

Banned
I'd say go for it, as long as you unplug most usb things other than keyboard and mouse (and uninstall the windows 7 Xbox 360 drivers if you have that), you should be fine. Oh and back up your stuff first. Just in case it goes south.

Let me get the rest of the lifehacker articles that might help you after:

All About Windows 10 Privacy Settings
Customizing the Windows 10 Start Menu
How to Tweak Windows 10 and Fix its minor annoyances
What you can ask Cortana to do if you use it (I don't have it on)
Everything You Need to Know about Windows 10
The Best Windows 10 Features You Prolly Haven't Heard About (I'm bookmarking this one.)

I think that covers it all, I can look further back in Lifehacker if you need to know more.

Also; I can tell you right now, I don't usually mess with the "apps"; I haven't hardly even TOUCHED the windows store yet. So much good open source stuff available that works just fine. Also be careful if you do mess with the Windows Store; a lot of stuff on there is for touch screens. Since I'm a KB and mouse girl, you may find the apps there are kinda sorta useless if you're like me and don't have a touch screen.

All of that just for one update!? Will it hurt to leave it as is? ;__;

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
It shouldn't. I was being thorough tho when i combed though Lifehacker. I'd say the big thing is the privacy settings. Rest you can ignore unless you like tweaking stuff. I do to a certain extent. ^^ (yes, i'm a minor nerd)

Awards
Sooooo windows 10 yay or nay? My computer keeps demanding the upgrade.

Well I updated from 8.1. Everything seems to be working well with my laptop. The only things "negative" that happened were it deleted my virus protection software, which I just easily reinstalled, and the driver for my laptop's touchpad wasn't completey compatible (it was still usable, but you couldn't scroll with it), but they just just released an update for the driver, so now everything is in proper working order! :)

I'd say go for it! ...If you have Windows 8. I'd expect things to be kind of messy if upgrading from 7 (deleted files, incompatible drivers, etc), because it IS skipping 2 OS updates.

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
That's right! If you have an Anti-virus; make sure you update your OS while your software is Windows 10 ready. You should see if your Anti-Virus is compatible with the new OS. If not, go to your Anti-Virus website's forum and find the solution from there.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Even with Windows 7, (I noticed this on blue gatr, where a lot of gamers stuck to Windows 7 out of disgust) most won't have any trouble upgrading to 10. Just make sure you 1. Unplug all of your usb devices other than kb and mouse(also if you're using a Dual Shock 3, uninstall the wrapper until you're done just in case) and 2. Back your stuff up just in case the shit hits the fan. I was in the 5% that have troubles, so yeah, it can happen since this is a major os upgrade. A portable usb hdd can be your friend. ^^

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
Mary, do you by any chance know how to make the Windows transparent exactly how it was from Windows 7? Whenever I open up anything the white bland on the background makes it feel not normal to me lol.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Depends on the scanner. Might be caused by something else tho; check the manufacturer for Win 10 drivers, or failing that, try the drivers for Windows 8.

Our network printer works fine. Haven't tried the scanner part of it (keep in mind the printer is in the living room and I'm in a side bedroom, so I rarely use the scanner part of it since I have to get up to put something IN the scanner), but I just installed the scanner driver for it..(You reminded me.)

[Edit] Oh and one thing I like. When I upgraded the printer driver just now, the Epson Color Monitor went away; Win 10 makes it simplicity to get it back, compared to the monkey business I always had to pull to get it back in Windows 7. Just reconnect the printer in Settings and..there it is. Thanks MS!

Last edited:

ChibiHearts249

Trapped in the Source Filmmaker
Awards
I got the upgrade for free automatically when it was released. Super fun to chat it up with Cortana, but she's really the only helpful thing I've noticed. At least Edge works, I suppose :/
My biggest issue with it at the moment is that my Yeti Blue microphone isn't syncing with my LoiLo Game Recorder at all. It works over every other medium (Skype, Cortana, ect) but even with the drivers installed I STILL can't hear myself in the playback. Haven't been able to record a thing since its installation, and that's been a bear for me since I only get 2 days a week that I can in the first place.

As for controllers, I ordered a Logitech one from Amazon for about $14. No need for the D3 Tool like with my PS3 one. And since I'm not a fan of the Xbox controller anyway...Diddly Windows and Steam. Why do you have the things that I want?

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
I know what you mean Chibi; I actually ordered a special DS3 that I won't sync to anything since I have had horrible luck with all controllers that were made for PCs that I've tried so far. They tend to bust on me after a year every time, so I chose to stick to the Scarlet.Crush XInput Wrapper which does a fakeout so it uses the Xbox 360 drivers. My pc won't sleep with it running but since it's a desktop that doesn't bother me that much. You can say this much for Sony; they know how to make good controllers, and I'm using that DS3 via usb all the time btw. Also yeah; PC has a LOT of good games that I like to play. You should see my Steam wish list :smile:

Anagram

Banned
Is it okay to wait on Windows 10? All this techno sh*t is confusing the hell out of me when I look up guides on the privacy stuff. Why can't they just leave what works alone. TnT

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
Is it okay to wait on Windows 10? All this techno sh*t is confusing the hell out of me when I look up guides on the privacy stuff. Why can't they just leave what works alone. TnT

One year for the Free Upgrade and you have one month to return your original OS.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
No, it's not a necessity; I went for it b/c I didn't want to worry about not getting security updates. You might want to do the same once it gets close to the free upgrade period being over.

And it might be a good idea to wait a few months, if not most of the free upgrade period, for MS to get out the bug swatter. Even with all the testing they did, it's not bug free.

Anagram

Banned
No, it's not a necessity; I went for it b/c I didn't want to worry about not getting security updates. You might want to do the same once it gets close to the free upgrade period being over.

And it might be a good idea to wait a few months, if not most of the free upgrade period, for MS to get out the bug swatter. Even with all the testing they did, it's not bug free.
So it'll be necessary in the end regardless? ;n;

Maybe a month or two?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back