• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Fun with Windows 10. NOT!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
So okay. I got talked into upgrading today.

Turned out to be a nightmare. I'm going to have to steal a Xbox 360 controller in the morning since they didn't think to put the drivers out for that (and i use a wrapper that fools the machine into thinking a Dual Shock 3 is a Xbox 360 controller, so I need the bleeping driver).

I had to total reformat and redo my system, and it'll be a while before I have all my programs back. So tell! Anyone else went on the upgrade train and took advantage of a free Windows 10 upgrade?

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
I haven't tried to upgrade to Windows 10. What ended up happening when you did it? If it's that bad, then I won't bother upgrading it any. I'm currently on Windows 8.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Okay. Mind this might be b/c of os corruption or just plain too many files/programs at once, or it didn't like my vid card (Nividia cards, up until MS fixed it was known to cause problems. They did a Day 1 fix). From what I hear, 99% of folks it just goes really smoothly.

Basically after the third reboot, it kinda froze and wouldn't let me run anything from the start menu (heck I never even saw the new start menu until I reformatted and started over!) My computer had stopped sleeping anyway a while ago for some dumb reason, so it might of been bad base OS. So don't be afraid to, just back up first just in case. But you should do that anyway.

Just so you know this was from Windows 7 to Windows 10. (I thought it best to b/c I like keeping my stuff patched) And just so you know; I may of lost bookmarks and a few vid files (nothing I can't replace) but that was it. I was lucky.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
I'm still on Windows 7. I never upgraded to 8 because both my grandma and my friend upgraded to 8, and after trying it, I absolutely hated it! Anytime I use my grandma's computer it just annoys me. And after hearing the horror stories, I don't think I'll be upgrading to 10 anytime soon. XP and 7, that's where it's at.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Max, I hope you're good at security then. Anyway once you get it UP, it isn't bad. The only real annoyance is you have to make sure you turn off that vid driver upgrade if you got Nivida, and if you don't care to talk to your pc, TURN OFF CORTANA. And they made it so there's ads with Solitare unless ya pay 10 bucks. But other than that, pretty good. Now that I got it working right, I like.

Anyway going to check another backup drive to see if I can locate a bookmark backup; it'll prolly be a few months old but better than nuffin.

[Edit] Found one, it's from a few years ago but better than nuffin. I'm backing that up more often, geez. Anyway if you're reeeealy chicken, wait a month. They'll get the last of the bugs out by then.

Last edited:

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
I don't know that I'd say I'm chicken, I just prefer the UI and setup of XP/7 better. You could call me a creature of habit or whatever, but 8 really didn't sit well with me. There's a good chance I'll be the new Windows 98 guy, that guy with and ancient computer that won't upgrade past 7.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
If you want to know, there are programs that can give 10 the look/feel of 7. Start10 is the best one so if you feel the need to upgrade, you can keep that! You can't keep your screensaver but you can keep that.

I'm liking it tho so far and see no reason to shell out the five bucks. :) But that's me. Just don't be me and have to use a month old backup to get your files back if something goes wrong. BACK UP YOUR STUFF!^^

Oh and bro brought me the wrong controller(I wanted his Xbox 360 one for a moment, he brought me a older controller. Whoops!), so I had to do a little monkey business to get that Dual Shock 3 to work. But it's working now and I is happy. ^^

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 36435

I've been using Windows 10 Preview for a long fucking time. They really should have delayed the launch.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Victor; maybe. Tho I'm glad I got a working system. Slowly d/ling the last of my programs, I am pretty lucky here that most of my software is freeware. I <3 open source stuff, prolly by necessity since I've never had much money. That just takes time and a lot of d/ling to get back. My biggest mistake was NOT HAVING THE NETWORK CARD DRIVER ON THE BACKUP; really bad move. It took me some monkey business when I reloaded 7 to fix that.

They should of been aware of the Nivida issue, and warned that company before the launch, and I should of done a clean install in the first place. Other than that...I have no squabbles.

I did call MS on my cell since I have free long distance with T-Mobile; the guy with the Xbox division was really nice and said he'd poke the higher ups, and make sure the darned driver was up for d/l soon as possible. (He wanted to go home and poke at that wrapper too; I'm kinda using that driver for a controller that it wasn't designed for but I can't deny it works, with no spyware/crap attached. MS has my number there.)

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
Mary, you're able to go back to your previous OS. The option is somewhere from your control panel. As for me, everything seems to be well. Not a problem. Just something Victor mentioned before though, too much crap stays opened. I was playing around with the microsoft solitaire thing and somehow entered my email account and it synced my email to both browsers and it even made a lock screen with my own email picture which I'm trying to replace it again with the default image.

Also, I'm trying to use my wireless bluetooth devices. I'm on a Dell Inspiron and the Dell before came with a Mini Bluetooth Receiver which used on the inspiron. Eversince the upgrade, it has an error and my wireless mouse and keyboard aren't connected. I'm stuck using USB keyboard and a mouse....

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
I'm not too excited, but I'll just upgrade, it just looks like 7 and 8 merged together. All I really want is Hololens....

Microsoft-HoloLens-RGB-640x360.png

So.... magical....

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Rob; I'm pretty happy with it when it actually is working. What kept me on 7 before was simply WHERE'S MY START MENU?! and I hated the screen since this isn't a touch screen. It's just a normal TV set. Why should I have a touch screen op system on a PC? I thought that was a stupid idea, so when I built this pc I got Windows 7 Ultimate with the help of a friend who works at MS (he's my go to for op system disks)

At least they fixed that and the other reason I wanted to upgrade; I was a holdout on Windows 98 for so long, I couldn't find programs for it anymore. That sucked, so I try to keep at worst a version behind now with operating systems, if not the most recent. Well, as long as it's getting security updates.

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
Rob; I'm pretty happy with it when it actually is working. What kept me on 7 before was simply WHERE'S MY START MENU?! and I hated the screen since this isn't a touch screen. It's just a normal TV set. Why should I have a touch screen op system on a PC? I thought that was a stupid idea, so when I built this pc I got Windows 7 Ultimate with the help of a friend who works at MS (he's my go to for op system disks)

At least they fixed that and the other reason I wanted to upgrade; I was a holdout on Windows 98 for so long, I couldn't find programs for it anymore. That sucked, so I try to keep at worst a version behind now with operating systems, if not the most recent. Well, as long as it's getting security updates.

Feeling is mutual. I really like it; when its working in your favor. When the whole thing I mentioned above happened. The thing with the email felt like it was invading my privacy. It's cool to keep things open but I'm not that type of person. now, I'm noticing I'm getting email notifications from my notification tab on the right. What is this!

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
By the way for those that might still be chicken, I found the problem. I'll try to tell MS about this. It was the Win 7 drivers for the Xbox 360 controller that caused the cuss-mess. So before you upgrade to save yourself a headache, uninstall that. You won't need them--it's prolly a conflict with the drivers for that that come with Windows 10.

I reinstalled them after I redid, the menu froze after 3 reboots. Again. So I ended up redoing the system. It's been three days since I just used wrapper and no problems other than a minor glitch with Windows Search that was easy to fix (a command and a reboot), and one glitch with Start Menu that was fixed by a reboot. I say, yay and I is happy now.

Anyway with this, I think my favorite "YOU DARN BAD COMPUTER!" graphic says it all:

badcomputer.jpg

Last edited:

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
I ended up getting the bluetooth fixed. I had to uninstall it from the Device Manager and insert the device back on. I'm noticing now though that I'm getting a notification for an update that won't install. I looked at it and it was my bluetooth device and when I checked it out and installed it. The wireless apparatus failed on me again...fortunately I already knew what to do ...sigh

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
Try disabling the update. I had to do that with my vid card, hang on while I find out how..

Ahah. Here you go/

Follow the directions and disable that annoying little..and you'll be fine.

Thank you! No more of that bothersome! I don't mind the Windows Updates but with the one I mentioned is really annoying lol.

Anagram

Banned
Sooooo windows 10 yay or nay? My computer keeps demanding the upgrade.

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
Sooooo windows 10 yay or nay? My computer keeps demanding the upgrade.

Besides all of that Privacy thing. Yay. Just make sure on what you're signing onto because it'll get synced into so many applications. I hate fact now that mostly everything is being called "apps" now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back