• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Full Nomura interview - 18/11/10

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

krexia

Translator
Awards
Just picked up the latest Famitsu; here's the full Nomura interview.

NAMINE LEADS THE WAY TO THE FUTURE WHERE SORA AND RIKU SPIN A NEW TALE

Beware of spoilers! Closing in on the story's mysteries

One month has passed since the release of the game itself. For all those users who've seen the ending and can't help wondering about what comes after this in the series, we had an interview with the director, Tetsuya Nomura. It contains spoilers, so anyone who hasn't cleared the game, beware!

A story that started with Namine

-- How did you arrive at the idea of using the data world as the setting this time? --

Nomura: First of all, I thought that I wanted to make "Re:coded" a compact tale. I also wanted some resolution with respect to Jiminy's notes that disappeared in "Chain of Memories". And so I decided to convert the journal to data, and have the setting be its internal world.

-- It's clear that this time, the storylines in each world are basically completed, making it easy to understand. --

Nomura: We made it that way intentionally. I think it's a story that's easy to swallow (laughs)

-- Are the bugs that appeared in Jiminy's Journal a result of Namine writing in the journal? --

Nomura: After "Chain of Memories", while in the middle of repairing Sora's memories, Namine noticed that someone's "pain" was inside Sora. She wrote in the journal, "We must return to free them from their torment," which at the same time created the bugs. That was the beginning of this game's story.

-- Why didn't Namine just tell Sora that directly? --

Nomura: She simply didn't have the opportunity. She became aware of someone's "pain" while Sora was already sleeping. After that, she thought it was her fate to disappear, and she wasn't able to meet Sora until right before she was assimilated by Kairi. She didn't understand how much meaning that "pain" would have. At some point Sora would need to remember. Feeling this, she wrote in the journal.

-- So Namine wasn't thinking that she might create bugs? --

Nomura: She didn't anticipate that at all. The bugs always occur in unexpected places. Namine just wanted to convey a message. The bugs, and the growth of Sora and the Heartless, were all unexpected events.

-- So did the Data Sora have a heart? --

Nomura: In theory he didn't, but I'll leave that up to the imagination of all the users who've seen the ending.

Mysteries of the Secret Movie

-- Watching the Secret Movie really heightens our anticipation for what happens next. --

Nomura: Unexpectedly, it seems everyone has gotten a big shock from the Secret Movie.

-- In the Secret Movie, the King and Yen Sid say that they've learned the location of Ventus' heart, and only Terra's remains. So we might assume the two of them know Aqua is in the world of darkness. --

Nomura: That what we're hinting at.

-- Is there a possibility the King met her during the time he was in the world of darkness after "Kingdom Hearts"? --

Nomura: I can't say anything about that yet.

-- What if the revived Xehanort was not alone? Yen Sid said this, what did he mean? --

Nomura: It was meant literally. What if there were a number of Xehanorts? Imagining that might give you a bad feeling, though (laughs)

<<<Translation note: I would personally interpret Nomura's meaning here metaphorically, something like, "What if there were a number of Master-level bad guys like Xehanort?" But since what he actually says is, "What if there were a number of Xehanorts," I left the translation literal for people to draw their own conclusions.>>>

-- That's scary (laughs). So is there a possibility other members of Organisation XIII will be revived? --

Nomura: If their Heartless were destroyed somewhere, there might be a possibility.

-- At what point in time was Xehanort split into Ansem and Xemnas? Was it while he'd lost his memories? --

Nomura: Something happened between "Birth by Sleep" and "Kingdom Hearts". The incident was in the Ansem Reports in "Kingdom Hearts". Whether or not he really lost his memories... Braig doubted as much in the Secret Movie of "Birth by Sleep".

-- Also, at the present time there's only one Master, and this is the King, right? When did the King become a Master?

Nomura: At the time of "Birth by Sleep", the King was in the middle of his Mark of Mastery exam. So after that, at the time of "Kingdom Hearts", he had become a Master. Yen Sid has retired from being a Master, but he can carry out the Mark of Mastery exam. So this time, he says he's going to put Sora and Riku through the examination.

-- So, is something about the Mark of Mastery exam written on the letter Sora receives in the ending? --

Nomura: Hmm, I wonder. By the way, Kairi can use a Keyblade, but she won't be taking the exam.

The Mark of Mastery exam in "3D"

-- Will the format of this Mark of Mastery exam be shown in "Kingdom Hearts 3D"?

Nomura: Yes, "3D" will be the setting for it. The system that will become its core is done, so now we're thinking about how to implement that, continuing by trial and error. In "3D" you will be able to control Sora and Riku, but we're thinking we'll make the main system different for each. In "Chain of Memories", Sora and Riku's ways of using cards were different. We're planning to introduce different ways to play the two of them, like that.

-- Sora and Riku appear as they were in "Kingdom Hearts", why is that? --

Nomura: That's still a secret. I can only tell you that it's necessary for them to be in those forms for the story.

-- Are the worlds that appear the same as in "Kingdom Hearts"? --

Nomura: No, apart from original locations like Traverse Town, we plan to make all the Disney worlds new. We're proceeding with world selection at the moment, and have a lot of ideas we want to include.

-- Are you planning to use the 3D presentation characteristic of the 3DS? --

Nomura: In part, but not exclusively. In "3D" we intend to show the direction of evolution that connects to "III".

-- A connection to "III"?! --

Nomura: Yes. Both the system and story will be connected to "III". The ending of "KH3D" will probably continue in the story of "KHIII".

-- We'll be waiting impatiently to ask about that. So, what about the evolution of the system? --

Nomura: The KH series are basically games where you control a single character. It's fundamentally different to the party play of the FF series, so the course of its evolution is also different. Each has its own things you can and cannot do, so things we couldn't put in "FF Versus XIII" will be in the KH series, and vice-versa.

Looking at the series after this

-- Are you focussing on the release of "Birth by Sleep Final Mix" right now? --

Nomura: Work on that has basically finished. We're recording the new Secret Episode, so I really want those of you interested in plot mysteries to play it.

-- Will the Secret Episode be different to the Secret Movies we've seen so far? --

Nomura: In the Secret Episode, you'll actually be able to control characters. I think you'll be able to relish a different kind of surprise to simply watching a movie.

-- Will we be able to play a demo version of "Final Mix" at the event in December? --

Nomura: Yes, you will. We're preparing both single and multiplayer modes, and you'll be able to play the Monstro battle in multiplayer.

-- What other titles will you be showing? --

Nomura: We'll have demo stages for "The 3rd Birthday" and "Dissidia Duodecim FF". Also, we'll set up one object that appeared at the launch announcement event for "Re:coded", and we're thinking of setting up a place where you can cross paths and connect in "Re:coded", so make sure you come.

-- What about the conference connected to "Fabula Nova Crystallis FFXII", to be held next January? --

Nomura: Preparation is underway for that too. Please wait for details.

-- Finally please give us a message for your fans. --

Nomura: In "Re:coded", we've made a game that you can play for a long time. I think you'll be able to enjoy it until the release of the next title. We've decided on a release date of January 20th for "Final Mix". I think we'll be able to give a follow-up report on "3D" not too long after that, so please look forward to it.

Last edited:

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Thanks for the translations krexia! :D

-- What if the revived Xehanort was not alone? Yen Sid said this, what did he mean? --

Nomura: It was meant literally. What if there were a number of Xehanorts? Imagining that might give you a bad feeling, though (laughs)

That's what he meant? D:

Last edited:

Silver_Soul

Bronze Member
Awards
pumped to the max!

and yet again he mentions that kairi wields a keyblade, yet she wont be in the exam
why the hell would she? useless info is useless...
lol

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
pumped to the max!

and yet again he mentions that kairi wields a keyblade, yet she wont be in the exam
why the hell would she? useless info is useless...
lol

Maybe it's similar to how Ven could weild, but didn't take the exam. He was the weaker individual of the trio similar to Kairi. Idunno.

Memory Master

Gold Member
Awards
αsiя;5348086 said:
No Toy Story, no buy.

I'd rather have that for KH3, Pixar worlds would look better on PS3.

So there are multiple Xehanorts? I suppose that means MX really did create a Nobody in BBS. Question is, is there other Xehanorts besides those two?

Also, All the Disney Worlds will be new!? I hate to say bye to Olympus Coliseum for the first time, but All the Disney Worlds being new sounds awesome! This leaves so many choices possible!

I can't wait to hear more about KH3D. I gotta admit all these new Disney Worlds make up for KH1 Sora form.

tri-blade

What if there were a number of Xehanorts?

Could you imagine the confusion?
" This is MX, that is Terranort, this is Kid Xehanort, that is rebellious teen Xehanort, that is female Xehanort......." I would be LMAO-ing for about an entire hour. XD

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
So there are multiple Xehanorts? I suppose that means MX really did create a Nobody in BBS. Question is, is there other Xehanorts besides those two?.

Heartstation translated that bit like this:
---Yen Sid asks what if the revived Xehanort isn't alone. What is the meaning behind that?
NOMURA: Its meaning is literal. What would you do if there was more than just Xehanort? I get a bad feeling just thinking about it. (Laughs).

I don't know which translation is correct, but I do hope MX has an accomplice, not another one of himself.

Stars

&#12522;&#12463;
Thanks for the translation, krexia :)
I wonder what will be the new worlds in KH3D and I love to see Sora and Riku taking the Mark of Mastery exam.

Flickr

so many damn xehanorts....f*ck....geez....just.....UGH!!! D:<

...but still excited......GAAAAAAAH XEHANORT! HOW MANY?!?!?!?!?

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Maybe it's similar to how Ven could weild, but didn't take the exam. He was the weaker individual of the trio similar to Kairi. Idunno.

The difference between Ven and Kairi is that Ven actually has a Keyblade, but wasn't as experienced as Terra and Aqua, whereas Kairi doesn't have a Keyblade, or combat experience for that matter. But anyways, it's information that we already know.

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards
Heartstation translated that bit like this:

I don't know which translation is correct, but I do hope MX has an accomplice, not another one of himself.
They both are, technically. This is what Nomura said about it in the Ultimania:
---We were surprised when Yen Sid said, “Supposing Xehanort isn’t alone?”
NOMURA
: If you look back in the past titles, weren’t you always fighting some form of Xehanort? As Ansem, as Xemnas, and as Master Xehanort, his form is different in each time and there is a reason why he appears differently each time. Don’t you suppose that it’s going to influence the future?

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
They both are, technically. This is what Nomura said about it in the Ultimania:

Hm.
A Nobody created when Terranort helping MX doesn't really fall under "influenced by there being a new Xehanort in every game." Unless he means he decided to add a Nobody because of that, so it influenced him. idk
I just don't want another Xehanort.

Also, is that Re:coded Ultimania, because as far as I was aware, the Nomura interview in it wasn't translated yet, only those Developer Interviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back