• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

From statements about 0.2 and KH3

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
That being said, I don't recall Nomura really confirming that Sora would appear in 0.2 in any real way?

this was from the famistu intirview a while back

—Hm? So if you think we will have questions about where Sora is in KH3, does Sora appear in the story directly before it, KH0.2…?

Nomura: Yeah (laughs). By the way, KH3's intro is short, and it begins straight away, but I am thinking very precisely about how to make sure both those who have been with the series for a long time and those for whom this will be the first KH title will be able to follow along. However, the details and particulars will be told in KH3D and KH0.2, so please play KH2.8 while you are waiting for KH3, it will make the flow of the story easy to grasp. For those who want to know everything in detail as they have up until now before the journey begins, I think it is best to play KH2.8 in preparation.

Last edited:

Ven_Roxas

Awards
So I see everyone is arguing over Sora becoming a master (which wouldn't set him up for being more than ordinary since the games showed him failing with his first attempt as a ordinary person would. And it's just a title. That he earned.) which is funny because I could have sworn that it was stated somewhere that he will be a master in 3 at some point.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
personally, it would be pretty annoying for them to make a point of sora not becoming a master (which was not designed as a "set back" but a big larger thematic point both about him and riku) only to then make him a master like a week later.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
That's the thing. It was truly just a formality in DDD. It wasn't like in Birth by Sleep or what KH1 implied. It's not a significant honor to Sora or Riku to become a Master. What mattered more was the test itself and Riku and Sora 'starting over' and going about things proper. Riku wanted to take the test not to be a Master, but to prove to himself (and to others even though they already accepted his skill) that he was worthy of being a wielder. Sora took it because Riku decided to. He never cared about the title because it doesn't grant him anything in particular. It's just that, a title.

The point was made. Riku passed the test. He proved himself worthy of being a wielder and conquered his darkness. He even repaid the favor and saved his best friend. Again.

Sora on the other hand got ahead of himself and failed because he did not return back safely. He did not manage himself properly and the darkness from the hurt of the people connected to him overtook him. If Sora somehow manages to prove he can handle all this hurt and he's ready to take on the big bad, then I don't really see the problem? Even if he isn't formally granted the title of Master, we all know that Sora is going to conquer his failures in DDD. That means he too will earn the title of Master eventually.

I mean, if we really want to dive into it, Riku and Sora were already Masters in everything but name, just like Terra. I think to get the official title, one must have their balance figured out and concrete. Obviously, this can change overtime. Eraqus seems like a pretty stable guy. Very Master like, but nearing his final moments, even he appeared to be an unbalanced person allowing the light to blind him to a better solution to their problems. Then we have Aqua who was a certain and stable force all throughout BbS, but now in 0.2 we see even she will have some inner demons to deal with (can'tttttt wait). Riku prove himself worthy in DDD, but I don't think Sora was ready.

I'm not sour that he didn't pass the test, I'm glad he failed. I really loved DDD because I'm happy Sora had to face all the trouble that's been building up all this time and he nearly lost himself to it. I'm glad his naive carefree attitude was smacked aside and he couldn't just put on a smile when confronted with all these people who were suffering. I'm glad Riku pulled out ahead and even saved Sora's behind and proved to himself that he's worth it. It's why I like DDD even if I'm not super excited to play it again, it presented great development for Sora.

I too remember Nomura stating that Sora will already be a Master in KH3 (don't know if he actually said 'already' or if he said during). But, if Sora starts off in KH3 as a Master already (further emphasizing the point that being a Master isn't that big of a deal and can just be mentioned after the fact), for the sake of my feels, I'd love for Aqua to be the one to grant it to him. I mean, in the grand scheme of things, my feels mean very little, but I just... need it in my life. If he never gets the title of Master, that's fine too. I don't care much. I'm just saying if he DOES get the title of Master, I'd like it to be Aqua that gives it to him. Otherwise, I'd just like any Sora and Aqua interaction really. The potential there is amazing. (and I'm not talking about romance. Sons must not date their motherssssss)

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I'm not into this to make Sora special or stronger or anything like that (which is why I find it good that he didn't get the title in DDD and I don't understand why people can't see it was good for his character)

I'm into Aqua giving Sora the Master title at some point because feels. I want those feels. Many feels. If this happens in 0.2, I won't mind oneeeeee bit. I need all the feels I can. If Aqua isn't the one to grant Sora the Master title in a feelsy way.... THEN WHAT POINT IS THERE????

That is all.

I was also speaking more in general, that's why I said "everything put aside" beforehand.

The issue of "Sora being/becoming a Master" being constantly brought up again is something that somehow irks me and rubs me the wrong way, especially since Sora himself stated that he doesn't care.

And why would Aqua do that? Sora is neither her apprentice nor do I think that after the hellhole that the RoD seems to be and Terra (and possibly Ventus too) still being in danger she has it actually on her mind to name a new Master.
Exactly lol, what point is there? Sora doesn't care about the whole Master-mumbo-jumbo anyways.

personally, it would be pretty annoying for them to make a point of sora not becoming a master (which was not designed as a "set back" but a big larger thematic point both about him and riku) only to then make him a master like a week later.

That too, I'm actually a bit at a loss as to why this point has to be brought up again and again anyways as it is really an unimportant matter compared to the stuff that has actually to be tackled.

Otherwise, I'd just like any Sora and Aqua interaction really. The potential there is amazing. (and I'm not talking about romance. Sons must not date their motherssssss)

While I agree that there is indeed quite some potential, I feel that the potential for Aqua interacting with Riku is much greater and to be honest when it comes to Sora I personally care more for him to finally have some true and actual in-person interaction with Ventus, no disembodied voices or floating glowworm-hearts involved.
Their connection has been hyped up in both interviews and in-game (i.e. Data-Naminé in Coded) to be this super close and very special, and yet so far almost nothing is done with it beyond the whole "dual-wielding"-issue, rent-a-Keyblade-Armor in DDD and influencing Roxas' appearance.
Aqua's and Sora's actual connection is arbitrary at best and certainly not of the caliber that Terra/Riku and Ventus/Sora have.

But that's of course all personal bias as well, :D.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
I see the "Sora not a Master" thing kinda like Naruto being always a Genin: funny and symbolic at first, kind of annoying if it drags out too much.
With an increase in dangerous situations and powerful enemies, the next step becomes necessary, even if just a formality. Because... if Sora keeps getting stronger, wiser, whatever he will become, the asterisk about him not being a Master would just get in the way at that point, for he's definitely one in practice. I also don't think it would affect his "ordinary boy" status, for all that power and abilities were obtained by one who shouldn't have been able to regardless.

this was from the famistu intirview a while back

—Hm? So if you think we will have questions about where Sora is in KH3, does Sora appear in the story directly before it, KH0.2…?

Nomura: Yeah (laughs). By the way, KH3's intro is short, and it begins straight away, but I am thinking very precisely about how to make sure both those who have been with the series for a long time and those for whom this will be the first KH title will be able to follow along. However, the details and particulars will be told in KH3D and KH0.2, so please play KH2.8 while you are waiting for KH3, it will make the flow of the story easy to grasp. For those who want to know everything in detail as they have up until now before the journey begins, I think it is best to play KH2.8 in preparation.

Thanks.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
i would be fine if kh3d was the beginning and end to the sora/master storyline completely and they never brought it up again. they can tell all of the "new master" storylines with riku, after all. and it's not like it's in sora's nature to care about the title anyway.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
Well definitely, I am totes into seeing Sora and Ven finally meet face to face. They are brothers after all. (in my headcanon dreams)
Whether it's Sora or Riku, I just wanna see Aqua well up and take in what those little twerps she met became. That is the goal for me anyway. Hurr

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Well definitely, I am totes into seeing Sora and Ven finally meet face to face. They are brothers after all. (in my headcanon dreams)
Whether it's Sora or Riku, I just wanna see Aqua well up and take in what those little twerps she met became. That is the goal for me anyway. Hurr

I would be seriously disappointed if there was no interaction between characters from the different titles, the fans clearly showed how much they hope for something like that.

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
i would be fine if kh3d was the beginning and end to the sora/master storyline completely and they never brought it up again. they can tell all of the "new master" storylines with riku, after all. and it's not like it's in sora's nature to care about the title anyway.

That's how it's probably going to go. Like I said the idea of Sora becoming a master doesn't bother me and wouldn't ruin anything for me. I don't see it as a bad thing, but that's just personal preference of course. However, there's also no real need for him to get it, and since there indeed are more important things going on, it would be best storywise if they give that screentime to something else. Like Sora meeting Ven because that really needs to happen and I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Wottles

I always thought Sora being a master was a forgone conclusion and something accepted by the community considering it was stated he was going to be a master in KH3 and that his keyblade transformations were a direct result of that.

Since I assumed that was essentially a "This has already been confirmed to happen." situation, my mind just shifted to the details around how he becomes a master in verse.

Ven_Roxas

Awards
I always thought Sora being a master was a forgone conclusion and something accepted by the community considering it was stated he was going to be a master in KH3 and that his keyblade transformations were a direct result of that.

Since I assumed that was essentially a "This has already been confirmed to happen." situation, my mind just shifted to the details around how he becomes a master in verse.

That's what I was saying. It's been confirmed a while ago. No need to keep the fuss going.

Vasquez

Awards
The difference would be that he makes all those connections and is "the chosen one" even though there are people smarter and stronger and more qualified than him. That's what makes him who he is.

Are you a Rock Lee fan?

Anyway I'm sure you ahve to be a master to get to where Ven is. Unless we are playing as Riku for that event I woul like to se Sora become a master.

Muke

whatever
Awards
Anyway I'm sure you ahve to be a master to get to where Ven is. Unless we are playing as Riku for that event I woul like to se Sora become a master.
Ven is in Castle Oblivion -- why would Riku be able to find Ven, if that's what you are implying?
Eraqus says it himself as Aqua transforms the LoD to CO:
"All who visit this land will be lost to oblivion, none ever able to solve this mystery. None, Aqua, except you."

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
Nomura's comments about Sora being a Master in KH3 have been contradictory, so I wouldn't really say anything is for certain just yet. It's quite possible that Sora is just on the level of being a Master, and thus has new abilities, and he wasn't awarded the title. We won't really know until we play KH3.

Ven_Roxas

Awards
I must have missed an interview cause I don't remember reading anything contradicting about it

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
Well, here's what a quick glance through every kh3 interview i could find has led:

And, on the other side, Sora has gained powers befitting a 'Keyblade Master', hasn't he? Will he be able to transform his Keyblade?

Nomura: In this stage of testing he can transform it.
^In this interview they connect the transformations of Keyblades with "powers befitting a Master"

Nomura : I thought a lot about whether Sora was to become Keyblade Master or not. But because I always wanted Sora to relate to the players, if he became Master, it would have meant he would have really reached a very high level and it is not yet ready for it, and we do not want that to happen. The decision to not make Sora a Keyblade Master was not really difficult, but I thought it was better that he remains an ordinary boy to be closer to the players.
^An interview after KH3 was announced, where Nomura explained his reasonings for why Sora wouldn't become a Master.

-- Also, the different variations of the Keyblade are very eye-catching in battle. Obtaining the true power of a master, is this the reason for these sudden amazing transformations?

Nomura: There will be a neat story that will explain about it. It is possible to do it in the beginning of the game
^Another interview where the Keyblade Transformations is considered the power of a master. Nomura says there will be a story at the beginning of the game that will explain how Sora can transform the Keyblade.

-- Keyblade transformations seem like a fun element in battle.

Nomura: My ideas for it came as far as from KINGDOM HEARTS II FINAL MIX, the main characters of KINGDOM HEARTS Birth by Sleep were able to transform their Keyblades, and once Sora is able to pass the Mark of Mastery in KINGDOM HEARTS 3D, he will be able to utilize magic to transform his Keyblade that can be ridden as a vehicle and many other great things.
^Here Nomura says "once Sora is able to pass the Mark of Mastery in KH3D, he can transform" but, this is obviously a contradiction since Sora doesn't pass the Mark of Mastery in KH3D.

Nowhere does he ever really say "Sora will be a Master in KH3". All we really have is a bunch of interviews where people compare transformations to powers like a Master, and one where Nomura awkwardly contradicts his own game (possibly a translation error)?

Though, we also know from BBS that transforming your Keyblade is not a Master-specific thing (Ven was able to do it, after all). It sounds more like, Sora, having been taught "the proper way" in KH3D, and gaining new powers in KH3D simply has powers like a master, and thus explains his ability to transform his Keyblade.

So, again, it's still not really for certain?

Last edited:

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
I also noticed that "once Sora is able to pass the Mark of Mastery in KINGDOM HEARTS 3D" part back when the interview came out and had to rewatch the ending and secret ending and was left confused when there was nothing about him trying it again and passing. I wonder what he originally says, if there's possibly a misunderstanding with the translation or something. Or maybe he just forgot what happens in his own game

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
Well, Nomura isn't famous for his clarification skills. Been observing the man's interview for well over a decade, and my god he's actually awful at it.

Well the "newfound power" was obtained in DDD, I think Sora might at least have Master powers in KH III.
After all, the Mark of Mastery deals with a lot more than just the abilities, or Terra would've been a Master already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back