• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

"From Past to Present" - What previous games did right that should be incorporated into KH3

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Which has been your favorite Kingdom Hearts game thus far? (including re-releases and final mixes)

• Kingdom Hearts

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Chain of Memories

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kingdom Hearts 2

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Coded

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • 358/2 Days

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Birth by Sleep

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • Dream Drop Distance

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JustSnilloc

"From Past to Present" - What previous games did right that should be incorporated into KH3

Over the years Kingdom Hearts has released seven cannon titles (not including remakes), and naturally fans of the series have claimed different games as their personal favorite. In a series like Kingdom Hearts it's not uncommon for fans to have missed (or never played) certain games in this series. So without further ado, I'd like to go over a few things that made each game great that should be incorporated into the game we've all been waiting for, Kingdom Hearts III.

-----------------------------------------------------

Kingdom Hearts
300px-Kingdom_Hearts_Logo_KH.png

Kingdom Hearts, a game that not only fused the universes of Final Fantasy and Disney, but also the game that introduced us to this beloved series. While this game was released over 10 years ago, it still holds a certain magic to it. There are several things that this game did right, but most of all...

• Involvement of Disney Villains - This is something that every title since has missed, KH2 touched upon this somewhat, but the Disney Villains were only secondary there and have been even less ever since.
  • Tech Points - What happened to these? These were a fun way to get bonus exp.
  • Platforming/Puzzles - Again, what happened to these? As far as platforming goes this series has no consistency, games like KH1 and Dream Drop Distance have great platforming, while KH2 forwent the idea completely. The puzzles however, they just went "poof", they were nice additions.
  • Secret Bosses - These guys are generally too tough to beat before you go after the final boss, but they do make for a good post game goal.
  • Tournaments - This game was the first to introduce tournaments and it did them great, outside of this one KH2 and BbS had tournaments too. Not if but when (because let's face it, tournaments NEED to happen) we see tournaments in KH3, they should have online functionality, give you exp, have various foes, and possibly a PvP?

Chain of Memories
300px-Kingdom_Hearts_Chain_of_Memories_Logo_KHCOM.png

Chain of Memories was the second installment in the series and served as a bridge between Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2, this game was very mysterious in nature and introduced us to a multitude of new concepts and characters. It was originally released on the Gameboy Advance, then released and remastered for Playstation 2, then remastered in HD for the Playstation 3 Bundle - Kingdom Hearts 1.5 ReMIX. Some of the things that made this game great include...

• Reverse/Rebirth - Aside from doing the same worlds a second time without any story within them... Reverse/Rebirth was actually a great addition to Chain of Memories. Players got to take control of Riku, who last we saw in Kingdom Hearts 1 was on the other side of the Door to Darkness. Riku had his own story that actually continued past where we finished with Sora, not to mention how gameplay with Riku was different. Only two other games in this series has held similar experiences, those being Birth by Sleep and Dream Drop Distance.

Kingdom Hearts 2
300px-Kingdom_Hearts_II_Logo_KHII.png
Kingdom Hearts 2 was the second major installment in this series, it picks up where 358/2 Days left off and when originally released held many mysteries. The game was later completed in the form of "Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix", where the game gained what seemed like a second half.

• Minigames/Sidequests - More than any other game, Kingdom Hearts 2 (the final mix especially) gives players more to do than simply following the story and beating the game. The value of minigames is pretty high, instead of sticking another game into your system when you want a break, you simply play a minigame. Sidequests keep a game from being too linear and will give a sense of depth at the same time, making them a nice addition as well.
  • Reaction Commands - "Press Triangle to Win!" All joking aside, reaction commands were an interesting way to combat foes. They were however, painfully easy to do. If these were to be incorporated into KH3 they should be more difficult to do, make the time bubble available to press triangle short (or vary depending on the difficulty you choose), for bosses and more difficult foes make it a string of different buttons

Coded
300px-Kingdom_Hearts_coded_Logo_KHC.png
Coded, believe it or not, was actually the first game released after KH2. The reason most fans weren't aware of this sequel was because it was released as a Japanese exclusive cellphone game. Roughly two years later it was released on the Nintendo DS and this "Re: Coded" is what most fans are more familiar with.

• Multiple World Endings - Alright so you just beat a particularly long world, what is your reward? The same cutscene everybody gets... LAME. In Coded depending on what you do you can actually get a different ending when you beat the worlds of Castle Oblivion. Now I know what you're thinking "Multiple endings in KH3 would just make the game worse", well I have just one word for you "WRONG". Believe it or not we've already gotten this in Kingdom Hearts, anyone remember having to do a little extra to unlock a secret ending? I think KH3 should reward players for doing a little extra in each world and give them a more complete ending or something to that effect.

358/2 Days
300px-Kingdom_Hearts_358-2_Days_Logo_KHD.png
358/2 Days is the Organization XIII game, it focuses on Roxas and features essentially the same gameplay seen in the first Kingdom Hearts game, with a few new additions/tweaks. Not only that but Days also features a proto version of the Command Deck that has been a staple of Kingdom Hearts games post KH2. Great parts from Days include...

• Mission Mode - The fatal flaw of 358/2 Days was its Mission system, the missions start to get redundant after a relatively short period and the only redeeming grace to their redundancy is the bits of story you get between them. Why am I listing Mission Mode in a list of "Great Things" then? Because after you've done all those boring missions, you get to go back and do them as any character within Organization XIII, that's right! You can play as any member of the organization, not only that but you can do it with friends too. If that weren't cool enough, the roster isn't actually limited to Organization members as you can also play as Sora, Donald, Goofy, Riku, and Mickey. Each character has their own fighting style, a couple different weapons, and individual stats. A good example of the stat spreads is how Lexaeus is immensely strong If this were to be incorporated into KH3, it should be done in a similar manner as how the Mirage Arena was done in Birth by Sleep.
  • A Story Not Sora - Sora's a cool guy and all, but he's not the only character in this series. A chance to play as someone else is always nice, which isn't to say that Kingdom Hearts III should exclude Sora, but to say that Kingdom Hearts 3 should do Sora and more.
  • Limit Breaks - So you've taken a beating and you need a way to fight back? Limit Break. Limit Breaks (although called different things in different games) are a staple to the Final Fantasy games, and are usually awesome attacks that you get to use once every so often. Outside of Days we get to see FF characters using limit breaks during cutscenes & tournaments, and the BbS trio have shotlocks which are similar in nature. Limit Breaks would be another nice addition to KH3, each character could have their own thing that they do.

Birth by Sleep
300px-Kingdom_Hearts_Birth_by_Sleep_Logo_KHBBS.png
Birth by Sleep has been referred to as "Kingdom Hearts 0", although it was the 6th game released it's actually a prequel to the first Kingdom Hearts game and takes place ten years before that game even starts. It's an interesting game in that it shows how everything got started, a lot of mysteries were revealed here and while a lot of new characters/concepts weren't introduced, you actually got to see a new side of characters you already knew. Great things include...
  • Mirage Arena - I already went over this with 358/2 Days, but a fusion of this and Mission Mode would be an awesome addition to KH3. Getting to play a great game with friends is fun, it's as simple as that, multiplayer through the story itself would also be nice.
  • A Story Not Sora - I'm trying to not repeat myself with these things that made each game great, but Birth by Sleep and Days did this a little bit differently. While the previous record was two characters with two different stories in Chain of Memories, Birth by Sleep gives us three. To avoid repeating the same story over and over, each character (while still visiting the same worlds) visits each world at different times so we see different parts of the story unfold as we play as each character. This is something that would be nice to see in KH3 except for one thing, where BbS had each character go through the same worlds it'd be nice if you could play as different characters going to different worlds, naturally tasked with different missions.
  • Post Game Story - Mmkay, so after you beat each game you unlock a 10 minute cutscene wrapping everything up, right? Well with Birth by Sleep after you beat the game, they give you more to beat... Basically after beating the game with a few characters, you get to do it for a final ending and it just feels like icing on the cake.

Dream Drop Distance
300px-Kingdom_Hearts_Dream_Drop_Distance_Logo_KH3D.png
Dream Drop Distance is the game that leads to KH3, and despite it being released on a handheld console it arguably has the best gameplay we've seen thus far. In this game you play as both Sora and Riku traveling through the sleeping worlds in order to complete the mark of mastery. Great things from this game...

• Flowmotion - This singular addition to DDD boosted the gameplay experience by quite a bit. Flowmotion made it to where you could interact with the environment in interesting ways, want to scale a wall? Go for it!, want to grind down a rail like a pro? GO FOR IT! Things that could make it even better would be if you could run up walls (like at memory's skyscraper), running on water, or some other sort of expansion.
  • Replay Boss Battles - So you've beat the game and want to enjoy a particularly enjoyable boss battle again without having to start a new game? Just go to where you fought them and battle them again! 358/2 Days was the first with an option like this through Mission Mode, but DDD definitely got this concept right. This would be a cool thing to add to KH3, but it would be even better if whenever you fought them a second time they were either a set higher level or the same level as your character. (Mentioned by AdrianXXII)

-----------------------------------------------------​

Naturally Kingdom Hearts 3 should have other new things as well, so far we know it will be using the Kingdom Shader tool which looks interesting, we also know that Nomura plans to make full use of the next gen hardware. What will be in store for us when we finally receive KH3? At this point, I doubt even Nomura knows. However, the games in this series have held all sorts of great concepts and gameplay elements that if combined could make KH3 amazing.

The Xehanort saga will soon receive the finale we've all been waiting for, so if there was anything that you felt that I left out, post it here and I may add it to my list! Anyways, feel free to post comments or talk about things that you'd like to see in KH3.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:​

Last edited:

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Re: "From Past to Present" - What previous games did right that should be incorporated into KH3

Can we just get door animations in KH3? The iris transitions that were introduced in KH2 stuck, and they feel so sloppy to me.

Gram

Banned
Awards
Re: "From Past to Present" - What previous games did right that should be incorporated into KH3

Poll so needed to be multiple choice, have several faves <3
As for incorporation into kh3 I say we NEED tech points back. Tech points was awesome and gave you incentive to fight strategically.

TheSupremeFace

Man, hard to choose...I don't really have a true favourite, but I enjoyed the main titles a lot. That's KH1 and KH2. I'd go for KH2FM though, it truly was an amazing game (I had to install the english patch but it was worth it). Although all the other games (except for coded) follow it closely to my favouritism.

What should be incorporated

BBS: Never played, watched walkthrough
KH1: Tech points, Metal Chocobo Keyblade, Disney Villains being more important (especially Hades, he's too cool :p)
CoM: Being able to play as Riku as a smaller story, I would like KH3 (even if it's dlc) to have stories for other characters (Kairi, Mickey, Riku)
Days: I loved the keyblade customization, bring more of that
KH2(FM): I liked the combat in it a lot, gummi flight was much better, reaction commands, vast side missions, flashy as F
Coded: ignored
DDD: Dive mode, a form of flowmotion, difficulty of enemies and bosses

KH3: TOYSTORY ALL THE WAY

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards

What I'd like them too bring back:

Tech Points: Personally I really want the Tech Points to comeback. They were cool and rewarded you for putting more thought into your fighting.

Puzzles: I'd also like them to bring back some of the puzzle solving elements from the first game and Coded they were fun and a nice little change of paste.

Secret Bosses: KH1 definitely offered the best secret bosses, imo. I really liked how the Phantom required you to be on your toes and pay attention to the situation. They also had an interesting design and showed just how powerful some of the heartless were. If they could do something like that and the added bosses from KH2FM that would be great.
I'm also hoping that they'll include a secret boss that foreshadows a character for the next game like they've done in every major Title in the series so far.

Side quests: I want them to give us a few collecting side quest, similar to the Dalmatians or the Trinity-symbols from KH1. Maybe this time we could be looking for the capsules of the 325 evil experiments from Lilo & Stitch. The trinity-symbols really should return I really liked looking for them.
I would appreciate it, if they'd in general include more side quests that are not Mini-games. Preferably I'd like them to keep the mini-games to a minimal like they did in DDD.
For side quests I’d think it would be cool if they also included task you get from NPCs to do and these quests would further develop the main and secondary characters.

Replaying worlds: They should include an option to replay a world after you’ve beaten it, similar to how they did it in Days and Re:Coded. The best thing would be if they’d mix the two implementations and give us the option upon selecting a world or through the menu,

Limit Breaks:
It would be cool if they brought back a form of Limit Break, preferably in a similar manure to how they did it in BbS. It was cool that the style one would get depended on which types of moves one used during the fight.

Multiple scenarios: One of my favorite aspects of BbS, CoM and DDD is that you get the chance to play as multiple characters and see the events unfold from another perspective. I’d love it if we got a Kairi and Riku scenario with each having their own party tag along.

Tournaments/ Mirage Arena: I really want there to be a world where you can fight in tournaments, similar to how we could in KH1 and BbS. I don’t want the ones from KH2 to return they felt limiting and you didn’t gain anything from them other than a trophy. I liked them in KH1 and BbS because you could grind there and that’s a big help.

Playable Destiny Island:
I loved being able to play there in KH1 and really want to return. Sure we got to go there in Coded, but it didn’t feel the same and was smaller. It’s appeared in many of the titles but in most it wasn’t playable. Also it would be nice to explore the main Island this time around.

Flowmostion:
This really added to the gameplay of DDD and was really fun. I really hope they bring this back.

Refight the Bosses: It was cool how in DDD you were able to re fight the bosses of the world you visited later on. I also liked that they were way stronger and posed a challenge.

Mirby

Too many games too little time
Awards
Website
twitch.tv

we need keyblades that level up again, like in coded

also yes to tech points

No love for drive forms? I think they should combine command styles from BBS with the drive forms from KH II to make a (less overpowered) upgrade mode with cool moves and such. So you can plan to go into a mode without simply selecting it

Relix

A traveler
Awards

Tech Points: Reward us for thinking fights through instead of mashing attack or triangle

The level of characterin CoM and Coded: I felt Sora's character was more complex in this game with all the emotions he showed at proper times. Like being a jerk to his friends because he was getting closer to Namine and was restless, expressing anger and frustration towards the Org when Axel axed off Vexen, being happy and relieved when he found Namine. Sora was an actual complex character instead of being happy and/or clueless 99.9% of the time. Riku was pretty sassy in this game too so he was still sorta a jerk just like in the first game but to the right people (his enemies). I loved watching them simply interact, instead of us as the player worrying about Xehanort's grand scheme of things. You believed these guys were teenagers in a crazy situation and it was marvelous. Same goes for Donald, Goofy, Mickey, and Namine hell even the Organization were more interesting in this game cuz you can feel just how menacing they were. I can honestly do a complete analysis of how CoM (and parts of Coded) got character development and just writing in general right. But I'll stop here.

Puzzles: I feel that I can simply breeze through kh games these days when back in the day you'd spend some time, hell a night, in one world or two because they were giving you all sorts of problems mentally. I could probably cop out and say I was dimmer back then so the game was more difficult but I don't feel that's the case. Some puzzles these days aren't really puzzles but just gimmicks to keep you from the destination longer instead actually stumping you and making utilize brain cells.

Replaying World Stories: I feel that this would be cool, I believe Coded and Days did this to some level and I wouldn't mind playing through a world's story again if I wanted to. Just up the enemies difficulty, provide different treasures and rewards, or something.

Sidequests: Give me something to do if I'm stumped on a puzzle or don't want to progress the story just yet. Let me find Dalamations or something (maybe a little more difficult or story based than that).

I know there's more in my head that if we'd take bits and pieces from every game we'd have this badass creation but it's all wishful thinking.

JustSnilloc

Tournaments/ Mirage Arena: I really want there to be a world where you can fight in tournaments, similar to how we could in KH1 and BbS. I don’t want the ones from KH2 to return they felt limiting and you didn’t gain anything from them other than a trophy. I liked them in KH1 and BbS because you could grind there and that’s a big help.

Refight the Bosses:
It was cool how in DDD you were able to re fight the bosses of the world you visited later on. I also liked that they were way stronger and posed a challenge.

I knew I was forgetting some things, lol. With the Mirage Arena I kind of focused on the multiplayer aspect, but good tournaments definitely need a come back. Getting to play the bosses again like in DDD would be perfect IMO

Playable Destiny Island: I loved being able to play there in KH1 and really want to return. Sure we got to go there in Coded, but it didn’t feel the same and was smaller. It’s appeared in many of the titles but in most it wasn’t playable. Also it would be nice to explore the main Island this time around.

We got a playable DI in KH1, CoM, Coded, and technically DDD, yeah KH1 was the only one on that list that was actually fun, but we'd need stuff to do there in order for it to be playable, any ideas? :)

dlppictures

Awards
Website
dlppictures.blogspot.dk

Coded
300px-Kingdom_Hearts_coded_Logo_KHC.png
Coded, believe it or not, was actually the first game released after KH2.

That certainly depends on your definition of release, seing as the game (the original) was episodic.
True a Pre-install episode was released in Nov 2008, but episode 1 was released in June 2009 after 358/2 Days in Japan.
And the final (eighth) episode was released after BBS. (But that is more of a technicality.) :tongue:

• (Honestly I haven't bothered to play this one, I've watched the story and that's more than enough for me... This game just doesn't have a lot to offer IMO, but if anyone has something that made this game stand out I'll gladly insert it here)

* Replayable worlds without having to start a new game. At least I'd say that is a worthy mention.
* Puzzles Or at least the original had puzzles. (I was so sad when I found out this wasn't in Re:Coded *sob*)
* Different/Varying and interesting gameplay mechanics. Some work, some don't. At least they experimented.
* Multiple world endings in Castle Oblivion. Giving you a reason to replay the worlds there.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards

• Multiple World Endings - Alright so you just beat a particularly long world, what is your reward? The same cutscene everybody gets... LAME. In Coded depending on what you do you can actually get a different ending when you beat the worlds of Castle Oblivion. Now I know what you're thinking "Multiple endings in KH3 would just make the game worse", well I have just one word for you "WRONG". Believe it or not we've already gotten this in Kingdom Hearts, anyone remember having to do a little extra to unlock a secret ending? I think KH3 should reward players for doing a little extra in each world and give them a more complete ending or something to that effect.
This is an interesting idea. When I first read the text in bold I didn't really like it, but the "extended" ending idea is quite interesting. This way the events would have happened if you've seen it or not. It would also give you intensive to completely the world and certain tasks to get the extended ending.

I'd suggest adding some more of the points dlppictures suggested.

I knew I was forgetting some things, lol. With the Mirage Arena I kind of focused on the multiplayer aspect, but good tournaments definitely need a come back. Getting to play the bosses again like in DDD would be perfect IMO

We got a playable DI in KH1, CoM, Coded, and technically DDD, yeah KH1 was the only one on that list that was actually fun, but we'd need stuff to do there in order for it to be playable, any ideas? :)

Yes, personally I'm not big on multiplayer, but a good and challenging Tournament, like we had in KH1 with the Hades Cup, would be awesome. Though if they make the Colosseum or Mirage Arena capable of multiplayer, they should consider adding the option of making your own online tournaments for communities like ours.

Well technically we've only got to play on the real Destiny Islands in KH1 and theoretically in DDD, but does the raft really count? Anyways each time the Islands appeared after KH1 it's been quite a bit smaller and we've never gotten to go to the main Island in any of the games.
Well considering that so many of our cast either comes from there or is connected to the Islands it probably wouldn't be hard to come up with a good reason why they'd have to go there. Maybe Xehanort sends some one to attack the Islands to distract our heroes or something. Or they could just make the world available post game.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards

Man, between BBS, 1, and 2, it's hard to choose. I'm all for command deck, but will take the menu too, and the Door Animations. Dont fucking care if they're long.

Wave57

Awards

The things I want most are Tech Points, Multiple Characters/Scenarios, Reaction Commands, and Minigames.

Even though this wasn't in any game prior, New Game + would be a dream come true. :D

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards

The things I want most are Tech Points, Multiple Characters/Scenarios, Reaction Commands, and Minigames.

Even though this wasn't in any game prior, New Game + would be a dream come true. :D

New Game + has been in two games already Re:Coded and Dream Drop Distance both have this.

Wave57

Awards

New Game + has been in two games already Re:Coded and Dream Drop Distance both have this.

:00000000
I had no idea...

This makes me happy and hopeful!!! :D

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

no that was a post game not new game plus

You can start a new game in DDD and take over all your spirits from a former playthrough.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards

Kingdom Hearts

Character Development/Characterization:
Remember when we used to have that? I do ='C.
I think the first KH game is the only one in the series thus far where all the OC characters had appropriate character development/characterization, even Kairi. From then on Sora and Riku were the only ones who really got good (for the most part) focus in this department while many of the other characters remained relatively static and the focus was more on how and/or why they connected to other character(s).

Mushroom Heartless: I just think they're adorable~
They also give more variety to how you handle enemies, it was nice "defeating" them without having to whack them on the head.

​Disney Relevance: Remember when Disney used to be important? I do ='C. I won't really get into this one because OP already covered it.

Trinities: I liked scavenging for these and getting rewarded for finding them. Then only bane was needed Donald and Goofy to activate them and having to go back to a save point if they weren't in my party.

Platforming/Puzzles:
I won't get into this much either because OP also covered it, I'll just say that I miss doing things like finding ingredients in Deep Jungle to do sciency things with them and was disappointed that I couldn't do more. Platforming though...left much to be desired. If they could just tweak it I'd be happy to have it back more consistently.

CoM/Re:CoM:

Strategy: Love or hate the battle system, it kept you on your feet. You always needed to plan or think ahead.

Bonus Scenario: I don't like the big multi scenarios much, like in BbS and 3D, because I don't like how they chop up the story, but I don't mind it as a shorter extension to the main story. I'd much rather have a focused main story then a smaller supplemental story (or stories) just telling what needs to be told.

Kingdom Hearts 2

Drive Forms: I honestly don't mind them much but I understand why people don't like them-they're a two minute Deus Ex Machina. Conceptually, they're not a bad idea, they just need to be tweaked so that they're not so over powered. Make them shorter, harder to replenish, make them not as fast or deal as much damage, etc.

Gummi Ship Travel: Gummi travel was waaaayyy improved in KH2. It was actually...fun.

Mini Games/Side Quests: Again, already covered by OP.

Days

凸ಠ益ಠ)凸

Birth by Sleep

Mirage Arena: OP

Coded/ReCoded

Overclock/Leveling Up Keyblades: I don't know how but I want this back in. Doing this gave me an actual reason to want to switch Keyblades because on top of being able to level them up, they each had their own special skill set which was semi customizable and functioned better with certain enemies. Usually the player just sticks to whatever Keyblade they have with the highest stats until they get a better one never to look back at their old, obsolete, ones again. This eliminates the problem.

New Game +: Need I say more?

The Matrix System: So...many...colors! So...much...customization!

Dream Drop Distance

I never played it so iunno.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back