• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Freedom of speech

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

New2Ya

I'm lost...
A beautiful thing, freedom of speech.

But it's also a very dangerous thing. If you are free to say anything to you want, you are also allowed to cause pain and suffering to massive groups of people.

I take the Westboro Church as an example, because of their hurtful messages. Protesting against homosexuals at funerals, against soldiers (apparently also homosexual in their book) at their memorials, against people in general really. They are using the freedom of speech, but not for the reason freedom of speech is meant.

So we gotta discuss about the following: is there a limit to freedom of speech, and if so, what would that be?

In my opinion, when you use the freedom of speech, you need to be aware of what hurt you cause to others. You should not be allowed to emotionally rip people apart and enjoying while doing so. Look, when you accidently hurt someone, that's considered a mistake and to be forgiven. But when you KNOW you hurt someone (hurt is not the correct word here. They're wrecking these people...) you shouldn't be allowed to continue this.

In most countries, including Australia and most European countries, the Phelps would not be allowed to say these things at funerals. Reason is because of its past. The aboriginals in Australia being discriminated for so long, and the Jews, homosexuals, dark-skinned and gypsies in Europe. Those countries have a past not so long ago and do not allow these people to be hurt again.
Ironically enough, America had a similar past with dark-skinned people, but apparently freedom of speech knows no limits there. Well, calling someone the N-word is not allowed, so apparently there IS, but why are the Westboros for example still accepted to do what they do?!

Discuss.

very differentiable
Awards
Two criteria (i bet you've heard them before), when it calls for violence, doesn't matter to who. And when insulting a group for something they can't do something about (race, gender, sexual oprietation etc.). That's when you crossed the line.

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
Freedom of Speech is a right guaranteed to all Americans, so I still wonder why people discuss it/argue about it. The better question is "what are you using your rights to say."

Aucune Raison

DARLING SO THERE YOU ARE
Actually freedom of speech isn't total. For example, in the workplace, people can sue you for harassment. When you're at a school, it is limited severely.

Also, I forget which state, but within it, if you feel that if you're being threatened, you're allowed to shoot the person who is doing so.

There are also limitations on racial discriminatories.

Nothing protecting sexualities outside of the workplace yet, and churches can say what they want because of freedom of religion.

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
Actually freedom of speech isn't total. For example, in the workplace, people can sue you for harassment. When you're at a school, it is limited severely.

Also, I forget which state, but within it, if you feel that if you're being threatened, you're allowed to shoot the person who is doing so.

There are also limitations on racial discriminatories.

Nothing protecting sexualities outside of the workplace yet, and churches can say what they want because of freedom of religion.

No shit? For the life of me I though we could do whatever we wanted whenever we wanted. You just saved me from a lawsuit.

frisson

Silver Member
Why are Americans so obsessed with freedom of speech?

Freedom of Speech works in that they're free to tell you you're free to say whatever you want. Doesn't mean it's true. A right to say whatever you want is simply a right to lie. I'm sure authorities foresaw how this would bite them in the arse, and so we have perjury as a counter-measure felony.

Endgame

:D
Freedom of speech dosn't exist.

If you speak out against a concept, you're uneducated.
If you speak out against a person, it's slander.
If you speak out against the government, you're disloyal to your country.

Freedom of speech means: "You're free to say what you want so long as you don't say things that go against common practice, tradition, or rules."

Aucune Raison

DARLING SO THERE YOU ARE
No shit? For the life of me I though we could do whatever we wanted whenever we wanted. You just saved me from a lawsuit.

He was asking what limits it has.

Zetsumi- You can do it if you want to, but there is a mental barrier placed by society. Also, you obviously don't watch or listen to anything political if you think that speaking out against concepts and people is not allowed. =-P

Firo

Oh Crap
Look at the Phelps family they cross the line. They're abusing the right of free speech. The fuckers.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
Basically what Ken said.

People have the freedom to say whatever they want, but they have to be ready for consequences of what they say. Another requirement is that your expression of freedom doesn't harm another's expression of freedom (or security), like in Ragione's example. Barring the prior condition, all any "freedom" means when placed upon by government is that you will not receive judicial punishment.

Urbane

Who in face are you?!
"You're free to talk about whatever you like, as long as we approve of it."

Hmm...America, what a country! In America, you can say whatever you want. In Russia, you can say whatever the government wants! Now reverse, now make the same for both, now add Canada, now you have the end result. Look at it, seems interesting huh?

Diastyl

rights have responsiblilities, and what ever consequences happens, it depends on our own actions if they were hurtful or not, and it's also up to us to heal or hurt

Home bound

Just Caaaalm Down
When democrats question Bush's decisions, republicans call us un-american, now that they're rallying for a revolt against Obama, they defend it with freedom of speech excuse.

Nyangoro

Break the Spell
Awards
When democrats question Bush's decisions, republicans call us un-american, now that they're rallying for a revolt against Obama, they defend it with freedom of speech excuse.

Yeah, humans do that. People in the same position tend to act the same way as those that came before them.

Papou

Goes both ways. If you're implying that people voicing their displeasure with the new president is unfair, then the fact that you don't recognize that makes this complaint seem hypocritical.

Aucune Raison

DARLING SO THERE YOU ARE
Goes both ways. If you're implying that people voicing their displeasure with the new president is unfair, then the fact that you don't recognize that makes this complaint seem hypocritical.

Bush had eight years. Obama hasn't even been in office for 100 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back