• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Forgotten abilities

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spikeyroxas

How do you think they will explain the lack of spells or abilities for Sora (Donald and goofy too) in kingdom hearts 3?

So far it's gone like this:
re:Com - they forgot "every spell and ability they ever learnt" upon entering castle oblivion.
kh2 - similar reason to re:com
khDDD - start fresh to take the test
kh3 - ?

i think this time Xehanort will have something to do with it, like he takes a cheap shot at sora and the others at the beginning to put them at a disadvantage.

Last edited:

Master Ultima

Awards
Maybe after Sora took the test he gained new abilities and maybe Donald and Goofy learned some off screen while Sora was taking the test.

nxtgarnett5

Maybe it will be something like after Sora woke up from his coma like state in DDD, he lost all the abilities that he gained while taking his test.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I don't think they'll go that route in III, since in a way, him losing/forgetting abilities each game was so we can have tutorials and gradually get stronger as the game continues. Sora really should be at full power (or of reasonable strength) at the start of III and have Kairi for tutorial.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
In DDD he did travel through time to just before the Islands fell to the darkness. It was then that he set out for his journey to the Realm of Sleep.

However this should not affect his abilities. One possible way to have his skills "reset" is possibly by actually letting him retain the skills he had learned (which should be nerfed), and then as the story progresses, he gains new, stronger techniques. It's not true reset, of course, but there's the growth factor as well.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Honestly, they don't need to explain it. Think about TAV. They had been training with Master Eraqus for years, and should have had at least mid-level magic and combat skills but instead they are all at a very basic level gameplay-wise. Aqua is even made Master with her very puny and weak in-game skills.

Instead we should just suspend disbelief and start KH3 with a lvl 1 Sora because it's just a game mechanic.

Now, what I would have wanted is the game to open up with us doing the tutorial in one of four ways:

1) Start the game as Kairi in training. This is a very basic choice that most fans hope to see because we all are rooting for Kairi to become a strong fighter rather than a damsel in distress & convenient plot device. We would play her for 3ish hours, get her up to level 5-15 with some very basic skills, then switch to Sora who would take on the same level as Kairi and have his skills & commands that equate to that level. Also he'd already have all of the basic level magic available to him because I would believe that in KH3, we'd start getting more -za spells which would mean only having to earn -ra, -ga, and -za spells in that order.

The problem with this is that Kairi's play style will probably be very different from Sora's play style. It'd be different if this was a multi-scenario/multi-character game, which is still a possibility since we know absolutely nothing about KH3. It isn't a very serious issue, though.

2) Begin the game where we left off in KH3D, which was in the Realm of Sleep with Sora. Somehow, Sora's Dream Eater friends would guide Sora to a world that is deep in sleep (this would account for why Sora is "so late" by Donald and Goofy's terms) and this would be the Land of Departure. The thing about this would be that the LoD isn't dreaming of the last events that led to its ruin and change into Castle Oblivion, but rather an event farther in the past that the sleeping world wishes to show Sora.

We'd start the tutorial by playing as a young Eraqus training to become a Keyblade Master. It would specifically hone in on the events surrounding Xehanort's discovery of the Foreteller's Script. This would be a fine way to impart this knowledge to Sora who is not playing these events but watching as an outsider, and thus introduce one of the mysteries of the game to us. Also at the end of the dream, maybe it could be Master Eraqus who speaks to Sora because his heart is sleeping and somehow able to reach Sora IDK JUST AN IDEA

Of course Yasue said that the scene with Eraqus and Xehanort discussing the legend opens the game up so who knows.

3) Same scenario as above, but as Young Xehanort. Personally I would be against this because it should stay a mystery to us until the middle of the game how Xehanort came to find out about this knowledge.

4) Start the god damn game as Sora. There is no need to deal with tutorial stuff. Give Sora access to all basic level magic, a few puny abilities, and call it a day.

Well technically Sora never actually time traveled

Sora and Riku did time travel. Yen Sid used some random loophole to send them back in time just before the night of the storm. They steal their own raft, and then after fighting Ursula they open the pathway to the Realm of Sleep.

nxtgarnett5

Sora and Riku did time travel. Yen Sid used some random loophole to send them back in time just before the night of the storm. They steal their own raft, and then after fighting Ursula they open the pathway to the Realm of Sleep.

Thank you for correcting me, I must have missed that in the opening of the game and just thought to myself it was meant for the tutorial

Master Ultima

Awards
Honestly, they don't need to explain it. Think about TAV. They had been training with Master Eraqus for years, and should have had at least mid-level magic and combat skills but instead they are all at a very basic level gameplay-wise. Aqua is even made Master with her very puny and weak in-game skills.

Instead we should just suspend disbelief and start KH3 with a lvl 1 Sora because it's just a game mechanic.

Now, what I would have wanted is the game to open up with us doing the tutorial in one of four ways:

1) Start the game as Kairi in training. This is a very basic choice that most fans hope to see because we all are rooting for Kairi to become a strong fighter rather than a damsel in distress & convenient plot device. We would play her for 3ish hours, get her up to level 5-15 with some very basic skills, then switch to Sora who would take on the same level as Kairi and have his skills & commands that equate to that level. Also he'd already have all of the basic level magic available to him because I would believe that in KH3, we'd start getting more -za spells which would mean only having to earn -ra, -ga, and -za spells in that order.

The problem with this is that Kairi's play style will probably be very different from Sora's play style. It'd be different if this was a multi-scenario/multi-character game, which is still a possibility since we know absolutely nothing about KH3. It isn't a very serious issue, though.

2) Begin the game where we left off in KH3D, which was in the Realm of Sleep with Sora. Somehow, Sora's Dream Eater friends would guide Sora to a world that is deep in sleep (this would account for why Sora is "so late" by Donald and Goofy's terms) and this would be the Land of Departure. The thing about this would be that the LoD isn't dreaming of the last events that led to its ruin and change into Castle Oblivion, but rather an event farther in the past that the sleeping world wishes to show Sora.

We'd start the tutorial by playing as a young Eraqus training to become a Keyblade Master. It would specifically hone in on the events surrounding Xehanort's discovery of the Foreteller's Script. This would be a fine way to impart this knowledge to Sora who is not playing these events but watching as an outsider, and thus introduce one of the mysteries of the game to us. Also at the end of the dream, maybe it could be Master Eraqus who speaks to Sora because his heart is sleeping and somehow able to reach Sora IDK JUST AN IDEA

Of course Yasue said that the scene with Eraqus and Xehanort discussing the legend opens the game up so who knows.

3) Same scenario as above, but as Young Xehanort. Personally I would be against this because it should stay a mystery to us until the middle of the game how Xehanort came to find out about this knowledge.

4) Start the god damn game as Sora. There is no need to deal with tutorial stuff. Give Sora access to all basic level magic, a few puny abilities, and call it a day.

Number 2 would be the best option but I think after the dream eaters guide him to the land of departure you should take control of Sora while learning the basic movements and exploring the world. After that then you can take control of Master Eraqus and learn the combat controls.

MegaCore5

Awards
Well it would be fair if Sora's spell's and abilities just carried over because he would be to OP. But I can see how in KH2 he loses his abilities because of Namine fixing his memories, and in KH DDD he loses them because of him entering his dream world.

Spikeyroxas

Yes I understand it's a gameplay mechanic but the games themselves took it upon them to explain why anyway.
and TAV do start with some abilities already (even though they're weaker low level abilities)

rawpower

King of the Wild Frontier
Awards
Gotta agree with Spock, I don't think they need to explain anything. I think it's kind of lame that they bothered to explain anything in the past games. It should just be a given that you have to relearn all your skills and abilities because that's how video games work.

Also, in reference to Spock's opening tutorials, I really like #2 and #4. Having Sora go to a sleeping LoD for a history lesson would be right up my alley. I'm really into that kind of lore stuff. Otherwise I'm kind of indifferent to tutorial stuff.

Sdog

Awards

That's probably how we are going to have to deal. It doesn't need too much explaining at least in my opinion, just go with it and we'll be happy at least when it comes to Sora.

Though I have a feeling we won't be 'learning' the game as Sora. Since we've had hints at scenes with younger Xehanort and Eraqus we could go through tutorial playing as them, or even the new wielders Kairi n Lea. The only problem with those two being they'd more than certainly handle different than Sora who we'd be playing as through the bulk of the game. Now playing as a young Eraqus could be cool, Xehanort as well getting to fill the shoes of the certain coming villain.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
I like Spock's idea number 2. Since Sora can interact with the people in dreams why not just have both Young!Eraqus and Young!Xehanort be his "tutors"? He can always just tell them that he's a noobie who's out exploring for the first time and they think he doesn't know what he's doing so they try to lend him a hand. Since Sora really does know how to use the Keyblade sufficiently he can quickly evolve from there.

MyNameisAnsem

I have to go with Master Spockanort's 2 & 4. I really don't know how they could possibly explain Sora learning everything again, so just going with some basic stuff really isn't a bad idea. That playing as Young Eraqus idea sounds really interesting though.

Lester811

I really like the idea of the kari or lea starting out in training to gain abilities.... I really hope that they get a playable part in the game, and it has to be story related not just extra you can play them for fun crap

MyNameisAnsem

I really like the idea of the kari or lea starting out in training to gain abilities.... I really hope that they get a playable part in the game, and it has to be story related not just extra you can play them for fun crap

If we do get the opportunity, I think it would be cool to play as him in a fight against Isa.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I don't think they'll go that route in III, since in a way, him losing/forgetting abilities each game was so we can have tutorials and gradually get stronger as the game continues. Sora really should be at full power (or of reasonable strength) at the start of III and have Kairi for tutorial.
I thought I hit cancel on this...

I do agree with this. There really shouldn't be an explanation for why Sora is starting at level 1 in III.
(Then comes the game and Sora bonks his head and forgets everything.)

Another way this could go is if Sora is helping Kairi train. We go through the current lesson as Sora and then switch to Kairi, back to Sora, then back to Kairi, etc. Though it would be a little repetitive, it's a nice way of getting a feel on how both characters play.

I like this one the most!

Agreed.

I do think Sora should at least start with some of his later abilities like higher jump and glide. For me anyway, it would be kinda odd for Sora to not have these at the beginning. It's like he forgets he can jump high and fly around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back