• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

First time playing KH2

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cfighter

Sup guys, I just registered here for specifically this thread. I had been waiting endlessly for a 1.5+2.5 collection—and prior to this collection the only games of the franchise were those originally in the 1.5 collection. I actually bought the 2.5 collection when it came out on PS3, but like the day after I bought it Square announced they may consider doing 1.5+2.5 on PS4... which was honestly a d*ck move for people like me, but its whatever. I was already transitioning completely to PS4 and was just about to retire my old PS3 anyway, so I set the 2.5 collection aside and waited. And now, after all this time, I have finally played KH2.

Overall, I think the combat system is fundamentally improved over the first game—to the point where I don't even know if I could go back to the first game. However, considering this game has the label as "the best in the franchise" I was severely disappointed by two major aspects to the game: The first aspect being the storytelling. Ironically, I was getting the same vibes from this game and how it presented it's story as many people got from Final Fantasy 15. Now I love FF15, and I thoroughly enjoyed this game, however had I not watched 358/2 prior to playing KH2 I feel like I would have been soooooooooo lost throughout the entirety of the main plot. Which if you ask me is a little hypocritical of some people who let this game slide, yet highly criticized FF15 for the exact same problem. But again, It's not that big of a deal considering both Chain of Memories and 358/2 were included here.

My main issue with this game however is the horrendously retarded poise, for lack of a better term. What I mean by that is the fact that in this game you can get stuck in what seems like a permanent wombo combo until you die (unless you have abilities like second chance). Whereas in the first game, you could escape an enemy combo by either breaking out of it with a combo of your own or by rolling out of the combo inbetween hits. This game offers 0 recoveries in the middle of an enemy combo—if Sora gets so much as tickled by a high class enemy/boss then you may as well restart (when I say "no recoveries" I'm referring to the fact that if you for example use areal recovery during an enemy combo, you will instantly be stuck right back in the combo if it hasnt finished). I've heard many arguments both defending this and criticizing it, the main defense I've heard is to simply "not button mash and actually time your guard" but this game is just NOT designed for parrying. When you hit the guard button there is a very noticeable input lag between hitting square and Sora successfully blocking. The game just wasn't developed for guarding/parrying so to say "time your guard" what you're really saying is "memorize the exact combos/placement of the enemy so that you can be at the exact spot necessary to avoid getting hit". This shit aint Dark Souls, this is Kingdom Hearts. Furthermore, to illustrate my point on this abysmal stun lock system I simply would refer you to the Zexian Data Battle in which when he transports you to book world and you get hit by that explosion thing its basically GG because there is absolutely no way to escape the barrage of attacks; effectively forcing you to helplessly watch your character lose 90% if his health. It just takes me out of the immersion of the game and is downright infuriating.

Edit: You know what, after battling a little more than half of the Data Battle bosses now, this stun lock is probably the most retarded thing I have experienced in a game to recent memory. This is borderline franchise ruining to me—the attacks are so fast and come at you at all directions and never cease that Sora is just stuck in a constant juggle. My enjoyment of this game decreases with each passing minute...

Last edited:

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Now I'm not usually mister language police, because policing language is stupid, but I'd ease up on 'retarded'. I use the word too every now and then, but you gotta know your audience-- this forum is not the place. Get creative with the language my dude!

Otherwise, I tend to agree with the 'poise' thing-- I'd rather be hit once for a lot of HP than hit 20 times in a row and have it amount to the same thing. My biggest issue with KH2 is probably the level design being devoid of any personality, but the combat is very very good.

Cfighter

Now I'm not usually mister language police, because policing language is stupid, but I'd ease up on 'retarded'. I use the word too every now and then, but you gotta know your audience-- this forum is not the place. Get creative with the language my dude!

Otherwise, I tend to agree with the 'poise' thing-- I'd rather be hit once for a lot of HP than hit 20 times in a row and have it amount to the same thing. My biggest issue with KH2 is probably the level design being devoid of any personality, but the combat is very very good.

Fair enough I will keep that in mind, to be honest I was largely just venting my frustration at that point. But yes, I do strongly believe the combat system overall is much better than the first game. It just feels much more fluent and faster, which works to the game's advantage, as well as the very cool addition of the form drives. I just wish that over the many different releases of KH2 they had tweaked that "poise" a little—for without being constantly juggled in the air by most bosses and even certain nobodies, the games mechanics would have been almost flawless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back