• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

First FAA approved flying car

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
Something everyone who views this thread needs to be aware of:
If you want to fly one of these, you'll need to get a pilot's license.
Most people aren't going to be willing to go through the years of studying to get that.

If/when large-scale AI systems become possible, there's going to be numerous, huge ones controlling how you fly. Even if you got your pilot's license, if a city's vehicular population went skyward, there'd simply be far too much traffic going every which-way for even the most skilled pilot to cope. Flying would be limited to distinct 'lanes', where each vehicle would be separated by a fair distance even though it's being controlled by an AI. Only when you leave the lane would you be allowed some control, but even then, you'd probably have a small onboard system that would do the flying to your destination for you.

In short, even if things get to Jetson's-style stage, no one's going to be allowed to fly their vehicles, unless they're well-trained emergency services or government/agency operatives.

Awards
∞;5131367 said:
Something everyone who views this thread needs to be aware of:
If you want to fly one of these, you'll need to get a pilot's license.
Most people aren't going to be willing to go through the years of studying to get that.

If/when large-scale AI systems become possible, there's going to be numerous, huge ones controlling how you fly. Even if you got your pilot's license, if a city's vehicular population went skyward, there'd simply be far too much traffic going every which-way for even the most skilled pilot to cope. Flying would be limited to distinct 'lanes', where each vehicle would be separated by a fair distance even though it's being controlled by an AI. Only when you leave the lane would you be allowed some control, but even then, you'd probably have a small onboard system that would do the flying to your destination for you.

In short, even if things get to Jetson's-style stage, no one's going to be allowed to fly their vehicles, unless they're well-trained emergency services or government/agency operatives.

Which kinda makes them useless!s1butz

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
You're sure as hell won't be able to safely travel in your personal flying vehicle any other way.

Silverslide

need some more candy cane
I need to wait until we are advanced enough to make our cars robots that drive us their selves, thus there would be no drunk driving >_<

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
I imagine one day that all vehicles (Boats, Cars, Planes and, now, Car-Planes) will all be linked up to a super powerful extreme satellite with a deductive power that will control every aspect of how the vehicle works and will get everyone to the place they need to go in the smallest amount of time with no crashes and no needs for any type of intersections to stop at. Have small bridges for people on foot (and any other type of manual travel ie. bike, skateboard, etc.) that go over above the streets.

I want to learn how to drive a plane now. Then I can get a Car-Plane. And did I hear it right? Go twice the speed with half the mileage of an SUV?!? That's amazing and green.

Space Cowboy

Ultra Haunted
Awards
Well according to Back to the Future we should be getting hover cars in 5 years.

This is a first step I suppose.

Bebop Blues

Silver Member
Cool, but how the eefff are they going to get in the air. Whats the point of having a flying car if you cant land/take off from you current location, its not like there are mini airplane runways everywhere.

Land wherever the hell you want?

Prajna

Land wherever the hell you want?

Yeah, you know I'll just park in the parking lot and take up five spaces, that's just pure evil!

When and if these o become public I'm sure they'll be setting up, as well, some specialized parking docs for them.

Bebop Blues

Silver Member
Yeah, you know I'll just park in the parking lot and take up five spaces. That's just pure evil!

When and if these o become public I'm sure they'll be setting up, as well, some specialized parking docs for them.

A lot of people already do that any way so why not? And you could find a really big parking lot, land in the least crowded area, put the wings up, and drive to find a better spot.

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
I imagine one day that all vehicles (Boats, Cars, Planes and, now, Car-Planes) will all be linked up to a super powerful extreme satellite with a deductive power that will control every aspect of how the vehicle works and will get everyone to the place they need to go in the smallest amount of time with no crashes and no needs for any type of intersections to stop at. Have small bridges for people on foot (and any other type of manual travel ie. bike, skateboard, etc.) that go over above the streets.

It wouldn't be done by a single satellite hanging over the city. Each city would handle its own traffic, most likely with things akin to radio towers at various points. Cars send their information to them, and by figuring out the bearing from the car to several different ones, it's exact location can easily be found through triangulation, and it's data would be fed to the nearest tower, which would be handed to the city's travel system/AI. Although getting satellites into space would probably be easier by then, it would still be more economical and precise to use towers and triangulation.

However, there will still need to be wheeled vehicles, like trucks or cargo carriers that are simply to large to get flying or hovering. They might have to share the streets with people, but if flying vehicle technology manages to work without the take-off aspect (pure hover vehicles), I would imagine a 'layer' of the city, or certain expressways, would be how the trucks move.

The only way pure hover technology on the small scale is going to work is if we find room-temperature superconductors. So far, the warmest one we've got is still around -140℃, and requires liquid hydrogen cooling systems to help maintain its temperature.

Bebop Blues

Silver Member
Honestly, I'd prefer a hover car before a flying car with hover capabilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back