• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Final Fantasy XVI

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
FFXVI is apparently banned in Saudi Arabia now because of a gay character in it.

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
I can't believed I caved in and pre-ordered instead of waiting for a sale.
FFXVI is apparently banned in Saudi Arabia now because of a gay character in it.
Where'd you read that? I heard about swearing, sex, sex work, blood, drug use, but not any homosexuality. Saudi Arabia bans just about everything for the silliest of reasons. I think they even banned Pokemon and its TCG because "evolution".

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
A gay character was mentioned in a leak that the last state of play got other details correct.

I believe that’s why the decision to ban the game was made.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Oh, wow.... I was already excited for this based on everything that I've seen, now I'm looking forward to this even more.

I wonder if LGBT characters could end up showing up in KH (or characters already in them could end up depicted that way in future) since both Square Enix and Disney are open to it now after all these years.... I guess it just depends on what Nomura would want to do.

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
Oh, okay, neat.

I’m hoping this game turns things around for Final Fantasy. After FNC and XIV 1.0 the series’ reputation took a hit, and I have to admit I’m cautiously skeptical of Yoshi-P in producing a single player RPG, but hopefully my doubts are misplaced.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Previews are out. Here's the b-roll the previews are using:

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
I've stopped interacting with any trailers or previews for this game, since I was actually well convinced by the look we got a month or so ago that it's going to be straight up heat. While I can understand that it's a bit sad for some to see FF go into full-on action game territory, I much prefer what this looks like to the half-measured flimsy 'action' of XV. It looks like it's going to be a huge spectacle and invoke a more classic sense of adventure.

It'll be nice to play a huge game built ONLY for next gen hardware as well. My PS5 has been desperate for something like this, so this is a day one for me.

KHRULER

Awards
I played the Demo when it came out and it was enjoyable. Not sure if I want the Deluxe edition or the standard edition. I don't really have a strong attachment to the game (not like KH3 or FFVIIR) so may just go with the standard. Looking forward to playing it though (tomorrow?).

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
Took two days off, played it within reasonable timeframe and schedule (had proper amount of sleep, food, actually went to the washroom instead of peeing in bottles of Mountain Dew like a neckbeard, etc.) and I have this much to say:

The game was very imaginative and lived up to the “Fantasy” aspect of the title, I’ll give you that.

I’ll be honest, some of the scenes were cringe-inducing, but I can blame my bias against Game of Thrones and ASoIaF for that.

It’s semi-unrelated since it’s a western work by a western author and cast, but I think both the series, which I stopped watching on season 3, and the books, which I tried to read after I heard about the infamous finale fiasco and stopped after book 1, were pieces of crap and full of shite (bring on the pitchforks).

I had to swallow it all down and digest this game properly while separating my intense hatred for anything that reminds me of Martin’s works. And it was difficult because the game was practically a callback and GoT must’ve had a lot of influence on it.

When I finally got over it (and after looking for the books and literally promptly throwing them into the trash since they’re just gathering dust and allergens), I was…not really all that impressed with the graphics.

Maybe my TV was outdated? I should buy a new one when I can afford it. Playing a PS5 on a TV only capable of 1080p seems to be doing the console an injustice. I’ll replay it again if I get a new TV.

Maybe it’s the new in-house engine? I heard it was called Radec, but who knows if that’s actually the one they used. Anyway, we all know their track record when it comes to in-house engines.

But enough about all that hubbub.

The controls took a little getting used to, but it’s very dynamic. It’s a bit different from 7R and KH, but I got the hang of it by the second hour. It’s certainly easier with practice.

I had my doubts with Yoshi-P, mostly because he didn’t have single-player RPGs under his repertoire until this one, but colour me impressed, he produced a really good work.

The music was…eh. It wasn’t bad, I just wasn’t all that impressed by it.

The story…

I liked it a hell of a lot better than XV, that’s for sure!

It had drama, passion, angst! Also, blood and sex, because blood is cool and sex sells.

What threw me in for a loop though was the post-credits ending though, but it was more of personal opinion than a proper critique of the storytelling.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
Maybe my TV was outdated? I should buy a new one when I can afford it. Playing a PS5 on a TV only capable of 1080p seems to be doing the console an injustice. I’ll replay it again if I get a new TV.
I’m 90% sure this is your problem. I recently upgraded to a large 4K monitor and the game looks astounding, at least to my eyes.

I’m also impressed you got through it so quickly! I took yesterday off but I’m still really early into the game, don’t even have my 2nd Eikon yet. Though I’m the type to really take my time, explore the environments/scenery, stop and smell the roses etc. So far, this game is absolutely blowing me away. And the combat, once it clicks, feels soooo good. Definitely a bit of a KH flair but more grounded.

If this is Square’s new benchmark for AAA titles going forward, I’m VERY excited for the coming years.

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
I’m 90% sure this is your problem. I recently upgraded to a large 4K monitor and the game looks astounding, at least to my eyes.
I really should get to buying a new monitor. The only problem is finding a reasonably-priced one made from a trustworthy manufacturer. Oh well, maybe someday.
I’m also impressed you got through it so quickly! I took yesterday off but I’m still really early into the game, don’t even have my 2nd Eikon yet. Though I’m the type to really take my time, explore the environments/scenery, stop and smell the roses etc. So far, this game is absolutely blowing me away. And the combat, once it clicks, feels soooo good. Definitely a bit of a KH flair but more grounded.
Agreed. That’s actually my usual play style too and I would’ve slowed down and enjoyed myself much more if I’d done it this time around. That’s what I’m planning on the second playthrough instead.

If this is Square’s new benchmark for AAA titles going forward, I’m VERY excited for the coming years.
I wish I could share your enthusiasm. I’m more skeptical due to the poor decisions Matsuda made when he was in charge.

Just the last entry alone brought me a lot of disappointment, never mind all the even deeper disappointment that happened before that.

I’m not quite sure how to feel about the game’s future from here on out. I hope that they’ll leave it alone. No extended multimedia subseries like the FNC or XV Universe🙄, no DLCs, no collaborations with non-SE IP, nada. The game is being met with critical acclaim and should be left alone, warts and all. I’m trying not to be a downer but I can’t help think about it.

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
I’m not quite sure how to feel about the game’s future from here on out. I hope that they’ll leave it alone. No extended multimedia subseries like the FNC or XV Universe🙄, no DLCs, no collaborations with non-SE IP, nada. The game is being met with critical acclaim and should be left alone, warts and all. I’m trying not to be a downer but I can’t help think about it.
I suppose I can’t quite comment until I beat the thing, but I’d be perfectly happy to see them move straight onto the next thing. The game seems like a complete package, far as I can tell. At the very least, though, it does seem like Yoshi-P is keen on doing some sort of collaboration with FF14. Curious what that will look like.

For me, looking ahead I’m seeing FF7 Rebirth, KH4, and FF14 7.0, + whatever FF7R Part 3 will be and whatever comes next for CBU3. Hard not to be excited 😄

Agreed. That’s actually my usual play style too and I would’ve slowed down and enjoyed myself much more if I’d done it this time around. That’s what I’m planning on the second playthrough instead.
Definitely do. I’ve seen some complaints about pacing and side quests, but for me I love the rhythm of big, epic, stunning story quest chains with these periods of respite in between. Idk maybe I’m weird, but I find a few fetch quests with light worldbuilding to be a great way to decompress and soak in more of the environment. Reaching a new town for the first time, hearing the gorgeous field music, picking up some side quests—it feels so classic Final Fantasy.

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
Playing it again, new game+ on the next difficulty setting, taking time.

I think I can review it more objectively now.

Unfortunately that also lifted the veil over my eyes and I quickly fell out of love with the game. I still like it, but it’s not so enchanting that I’ll rave about it for the next year until some XVII or new KH4 trailer comes out.

What to say…

The cutscenes are very long. All well and good if you’re into stories and lore (which I am), but it can get tedious at times that it felt like my eyeballs would fall off from sheer fatigue.

I get that the game is a sort-of reinvention, just as with every entry in the mainline series from their predecessors, and it’s massively appealing to those who appreciate action-oriented elements, but it feels like there’re a few other things missing that were present in previous entries that were not here. I can’t quite put my finger on it but there were definitely a few missing elements. I don’t know…

Mild spoilers: Attack and Dethrone God is still a thing. Not sure how to feel about that, but I acknowledge that it’s a tried and true formula.

It’s a very dark and medieval fantasy. I’m only sorry that I realise that that kind of setting isn’t for me. I find the contemporary fantasy style of VII more appealing, and if I were to stick to medieval fantasy, IX is more up my alley. Then there’s the good blends like X and XII. XVI is really…bleak. Like, not depressing bleak, but flat bleak. I can’t find the right words.

I like it a lot better than XIII, and I definitely love it a hell of a lot better than XV, but it will never be my favourite.

If there’s one thing I hate about it, it’s that the influence GoT had on this game is way bigger and more obvious than I was anticipating. I’ve said it before, but I think both the TV series and the books are full of shite. By the time I saw the final boss I wanted to chuck my controller on the screen and scream (you’ll see why).

Please remember that this is just my opinion. None of it should affect your gameplay, and you should be free to enjoy this game as you please.

Last edited:

KHRULER

Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Full story spoilers ahead:

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Last edited:

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Just started playing yesterday. The first hour or so, I was almost disappointed initially, but it got better as it went on. I stopped last night at the part Clive and Jill decide to go back to Phoenix Gate. I loved the chemistry between Cid and Clive, Benedikta was great, Clive's mother...whew! I've liked Jill, Tarja, and Clive's father, too, so far. So many things have reminded me of various other FF's. The way you move through environments reminds me of X-2, the level design reminds me of X and XIII, the items in the field make me think of VIII, Clive and Joshua remind me somewhat of IV, Clive feels a lot like Warrior of Light, etc.

Sort of inbetween on the gameplay. Not as laborious as VIII and XIII, not quite as fun to play as IX, X, or XV, more around the same level as XII for me. I'm enjoying it, not sure how it'll stack out overall until I finish. Torgal is so cute. BTW, I had the thought that I wish they would give you controls for the party members in KH that are similar to how you can direct Torgal.

Back