• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Final Fantasy XVI

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Bloodblade777-2

Interesting. This is kind off of a mix between human and non human, haha. Thanks for the observation.

Also, someone jokingly said on Twitter that Summons could fight a la Pokemon and I made this as a joke, lol:
It said at the beginning they were looking for "Shiva's dominant", I guess that the people who are possessed by summons/eikons are called Dominants.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
Anyone else noticed that, because the MC used each if the Eikons in battle as normal combo abilities, that technically makes him a Blue Mage?

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
This is a very minor gripe I have, but I haaate the tribal face tattoo the older MC model sports. It's so perfect looking it sticks out like an anachronistic sore thumb.

Anyone else noticed that, because the MC used each if the Eikons in battle as normal combo abilities, that technically makes him a Blue Mage?

That seems more akin to Evoker / Conjurer job classes. Utilizing abilities from the summon, but not actually summoning.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I’m not the one saying FF got stale, Square Enix was. Why do you think they’ve refused to release a mainline turn-based FF after 10? They think turn-based combat is archaic, stale. That if they make one now, people will lose interest and sales will tank. You guys keep bringing up sales figures as if that disproves my argument when if anything, it ratifies it. After 10 they waved goodbye to classic FF gameplay and it paid off. In their eyes, nobody cares about turn-based combat anymore. If they did these new FFs wouldn’t sell. SE was proven right. Some of you guys are getting way too hung up on my stale comment.

If I was a fan of a series that’s gotten to that point, I’d want them to stop and make something new. FF has the benefit of already having tons of spin-offs so making more of those instead would’ve still left the possibility of another classic numbered game in the future. New fans can enjoy those new games and old fans don’t have to watch the mainline games turn into something different.

“Expands on the previous game”
“Brings back a an old mechanic and improves it”
“Adds new mechanics”

Like I said, pretty standard sequel stuff. They’re all still turn-based strategies. That’s what classic fans want. Not individual mechanics from a specific game. Those themes are in every single FF ever, not just the mainline ones.
I prefer turn-based. That's probably why I haven't opened Final Fantasy XV yet, after buying it almost 2 years ago.

I think they should have worked on and expanded the system in FFXII. I loved that game's fighting system.

Also, will there be any female playable characters in this game?

Xblade13

Awards
This is a very minor gripe I have, but I haaate the tribal face tattoo the older MC model sports. It's so perfect looking it sticks out like an anachronistic sore thumb.

That seems more akin to Evoker / Conjurer job classes. Utilizing abilities from the summon, but not actually summoning.
I'm not a big fan of the "older main character" at all if I'm perfectly honest. I prefer how he looks when he's younger by FAR. But for me it isn't the tattoos. I think younger MC looks more unique among FF protagonists, while older MC looks like a cross between the "MC" rep in XIV and Noctis in XV.

Well, the reason I said that is I'm not sure how MC will actually gain the powers to utilize said summons, so I was thinking it my be by defeating them/their Dominants. Defeating enemies to then utilize their powers is very Blue Mage. But if he just naturally has these abilities himself or is "ordained" by each Eikon then that'll be what you said instead. I just thought it was interesting as we haven't had a Blue Mage-ish main protagonist before

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Is the Eikon spelling possibly a nod to Eiko, the last summoner of Madain Sari?

I'm not a big fan of the "older main character" at all if I'm perfectly honest. I prefer how he looks when he's younger by FAR. But for me it isn't the tattoos. I think younger MC looks more unique among FF protagonists, while older MC looks like a cross between the "MC" rep in XIV and Noctis in XV.

I'm a touch ambivalent. Two characters having black hair back-to-back means nothing to me in a sea of pale, mid-teen/early-20s anime model MCs. Blonde has followed blonde. White hair has followed white. *shrug* Square needs to jazz it up in many ways.

Well, the reason I said that is I'm not sure how MC will actually gain the powers to utilize said summons, so I was thinking it my be by defeating them/their Dominants. Defeating enemies to then utilize their powers is very Blue Mage. But if he just naturally has these abilities himself or is "ordained" by each Eikon then that'll be what you said instead. I just thought it was interesting as we haven't had a Blue Mage-ish main protagonist before

I do always enjoy when they deviate from the stock warrior MC. Zidane being a thief was particularly refreshing. It would be cool to see a blue mage (and every other class eventually) have its time in the spotlight.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards

Xblade13

Awards
This game could very well come out next year:

(rumor)
Yeah, I figured it would be either next year or the year after. The fact they were able to show us what looked like fairly polished gameplay and story cutscenes meant they were a lot further along than, say, Kingdom Hearts III or Final Fantasy XV were when they were first announced. It's not like they were twiddling their things the whole time since XV released lol. Especially since it seems like a different team from Nomura's made this.

If it does come out 2021 though I'm not expecting it until holiday season. Mostly because of the pandemic but also because I do feel like the lighting and such are going to be tidied up even more before release. Those expecting the graphics or art style to change drastically are probably going to be disappointed.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
The fact they were able to show us what looked like fairly polished gameplay and story cutscenes meant they were a lot further along than, say, Kingdom Hearts III or Final Fantasy XV were when they were first announced.
By this time now, Square Enix has imposed an internal policy where they are not to reveal a video game unless they're sure it'll be ready to be released not very later in time.

Though I'm pretty sure if Sony would have pushed hard enough, they would have shown the game.

NoWay

Awards
Imagine a world in which KH3 and FF7R were announced in 2017/2018.
I really hope that we don’t have to wait longer than two years for FFXVI.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I really hope that we don’t have to wait longer than two years for FFXVI.
I think two years is reasonable enough. This means that, when the next KH game gets unveiled and FF7R's second episode as well, it means that we can expect them a year or two from now.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I don't worry as much over the release of stand-alone FFs. This already looks like it'll be coming sooner than I had expected.

I think the only thing to worry about (for me) is the fact that Nomura's getting older. I don't know when he would retire. I hope it isn't any time soon. I wouldn't mind seeing him involved in another original FF, and then I won't lie, I'd love to have re-makes of VIII and X (as well as a X-3)... That's just a fan wish. But with the FFVII re-make being multiple installments + the KH series, those alone could keep him busy for half a decade or more.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
This game could very well come out next year:

(rumor)
Makes sense since they put out recruitment calls for the game years ago after Heavensward released.

Provisionally though. When they properly submit it for ratings it could change, though I doubt it since that kid get sprayed with blood and you see blood splatter from the body being crushed under a rock dropped by Titan. Not even FFVIIR let us have blood.

1. Based on the responses from the publisher, PEGI's online rating system automatically determines a provisional age rating with content descriptors.
  2. The PEGI administrators receive the game from the publisher and thoroughly review the provisional age rating. NICAM takes care of the games rated 3 and 7, whereas the VSC Rating Board reviews the 12, 16 and 18 ratings.
  3. Depending on the review, the administrators approve or alter the provisional rating, and PEGI delivers a license to the publisher for the use of the age rating icon and the relevant content descriptor(s).
  4. The publisher is now authorised to reproduce the appropriate age rating logo and content descriptor(s) on the packaging or at the digital point of sale in accordance with the PEGI Labelling Guidelines and the PEGI Code of Conduct.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
I’m excited to see what they do with this considering the M rating. I don’t need a lot of gore or swearing to enjoy something. But I’m interested to see where they can take the game with less creative restrictions.

Yoshida’s comments have me thinking we’ll have this before 2022 is over.

Awards
I figured this game would get a Mature rating after seeing the blood. I wonder why they decided to go in a more gritty direction for a mainline title.

Back