• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Final Fantasy XVI

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Somnus cealum

Awards
Im so happy were getting ff16. ff15 was fun and ff 10 12 7r and type 0 was fun. The story of ff16 is intersenting and im happy that its going back to the old themes of final fantasy

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I agree with what everyone said about the graphics, but I'm being lenient since this is the very first trailer. I imagine they will be smoothed over as this gets nearer to the finish line.

I personally loved XV and wish it didn't get bashed so much, but I'm hoping I'll enjoy this as much. For me, it's not really a competition; I enjoy all the FFs I've played in their own way. Even though we take the stuffing out of Nomura at times, I always hope he'll be involved with the newest FFs. I think his weaknesses are more with long-running storylines. He's ace with stand-alones like FF installments generally are, imo.

They made it sound as if Shiva is a villain or is being used by the villain.
Since the main character is tied to fire summons, it would make sense if the villain is tied to ice / the Shiva Dormant.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
FINAL FANTASY XV was under the experimental consideration of "game as a service". From the looks of it, I don't think FFXVI will fall under this, so I'm not expecting this happen. Of course, we can expect Marketing by crossovers with other FF properties.

I hope not, but it's too early to tell. The success of an entry can bring many more opportunities to the table (though minor crossovers are almost a given, a la Exvius / MMOs). And of course, not everything (pre)planned sees fruition.

I know it's waaay too early, but FFXVII could also be set in a medieval world.

Wait. Where did this come from? I know any setting can be arbitrarily chosen from title to title, but I'm confused.

I agree with what everyone said about the graphics, but I'm being lenient since this is the very first trailer. I imagine they will be smoothed over as this gets nearer to the finish line.

Yeah, I'm hoping we'll see more stylization as the news drips. Of course, even if it is bland, it's still beautiful and there were brilliant flashes in this trailer, and I think I could actually handle a "toned-down" medieval setting just as I think the toned-down modernity of XV worked. Maybe it doesn't scream next gen yet, but they could toy with a lot of things until release.

Also, everyone keeps comparing the graphics to XV, but Shiva and the NPCs definitely have XIV-face, probably for obvious reasons.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
My guesses based on the dialogue:

Icons = Summons

Dominants are people who can become Icons and share their power with others. Joshua, for example, would be a Dominant and he is the one who bestowed Phoenix's power on MC.

There are people like the MC that are capable of receiving various abilities from Icons.

I am also making a reach based off of exactly nothing and saying that the young girl in the trailer is possibly Shiva's Dominant.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I personally loved XV and wish it didn't get bashed so much,
Eh, it's understandable. FINAL FANTASY XV first started as something else (Versus XIII) and then got a difficult development cycle. But yeah, FFXV is a lovable title, it's just that people are usually more vocal about negative stuff. Even though the game has its downsides I feel that, personally, the goods outweigh the bad. Not by far, but reasonably.

but I'm hoping I'll enjoy this as much.
From what little we've seen, I think I'll enjoy the game, but will prefer FFXV. FF15 felt like a journey, FFXVI seems like it'll feel like the player will experience a story being told to them. When the discussion of FF's 15 vs 16, I think one won't outweigh the other.

For me, it's not really a competition; I enjoy all the FFs I've played in their own way.
My sentiments exactly.

Even though we take the stuffing out of Nomura at times, I always hope he'll be involved with the newest FFs.
I think we as a community and fandom need to chill a bit with Nomura. I feel like sometimes the hate far exceeds the levels of reasonable hate.

I think his weaknesses are more with long-running storylines. He's ace with stand-alones like FF installments generally are, imo.
I mean, KINGDOM HEARTS is his very own project, but the Seekers of Darkness Saga was (and is) a story that is well over 18 years old. Which is why I presume KHUx's story gets less hate: it's a more recent storyline that has been carefully integrated towards the rest of the KH universe.

Since the main character is tied to fire summons, it would make sense if the villain is tied to ice / the Shiva Dormant.
I also got the feeling that this game won't necessarily have a clear separation between good and evil. I think the game will focus a lot on gray areas.

I hope not, but it's too early to tell. The success of an entry can bring many more opportunities to the table (though minor crossovers are almost a given, a la Exvius / MMOs). And of course, not everything (pre)planned sees fruition.
I'm personally not expecting an Animé nor a movie. Remember that a lot of these decisions made it into FFXV because some storylines had to be cut from the game itself so they decided to use other media.

Wait. Where did this come from? I know any setting can be arbitrarily chosen from title to title, but I'm confused.
It comes from my perspective that we're getting a medieval fantasy FF game, not because the last two "solo mode" FF games have been set in "fantasy based on reality" (FF's XIII and XV) but also because the worldwide media was filled with medieval games and shows (the Witcher game and series, Game of Thrones, etc). I think the "medieval trend" in media will continue, so perhaps FFXVII will once again be set in medieval.

And this is something I replied to HMK in Twitter: Final Fantasy mainline games could go either way:
• Medieval fantasy
• Fantasy based on reality
Mainline FF games can be medieval fantasy, while spinoffs can be Fantasy based on reality like FFXV and Verum Rex (Assuming it ever happens)

My guesses based on the dialogue:

Icons = Summons

Dominants are people who can become Icons and share their power with others. Joshua, for example, would be a Dominant and he is the one who bestowed Phoenix's power on MC.

There are people like the MC that are capable of receiving various abilities from Icons.
So the Icons/Summons are like the fal'cie and the Dominants are like the l'cie? I also see it like the Dominants are people that can directly use the Summons while the Dominants also have the ability to bestow on someone the ability to partially use a Summon. Like: Rydia can Summon Leviathan but she can bestow upon Cecil the ability to somehow integrate Leviathan in combat, say, turn his sword into one of Leviathan's fins and hit an enemy with a physical attack based on Water elemental and with correct combos you can cast Water automatically.

I feel like FFXVI's combat could be a splice between DMC and KH3.

D

Deleted member 246005

I dislike the medieval setting but that could change depending on what else is shown.

I like the timeskip angle, i just hope the hero doesn't sleep through it this time. It would be cool if he goes through a negative change arc.

Rydgea

Awards
Website
backloggery.com
It comes from my perspective that we're getting a medieval fantasy FF game, not because the last two "solo mode" FF games have been set in "fantasy based on reality" (FF's XIII and XV) but also because the worldwide media was filled with medieval games and shows (the Witcher game and series, Game of Thrones, etc). I think the "medieval trend" in media will continue, so perhaps FFXVII will once again be set in medieval.

I didn't say that's why I thought they were doing a medieval setting..? I don't see XIII as based on reality; it has more futuristic, quirky, sci-fi elements while XV touches on modernism, realism. XV is the only one really marketed as "fantasy based on reality", and my feelings align with that for the most part. You're view on why they picked this setting for XVI's world is probably accurate if not cynical: just because it's trendy. Regardless, I just want it to be good.

And this is something I replied to HMK in Twitter: Final Fantasy mainline games could go either way:
• Medieval fantasy
• Fantasy based on reality
Mainline FF games can be medieval fantasy, while spinoffs can be Fantasy based on reality like FFXV and Verum Rex (Assuming it ever happens)

There's a looot of other genres and subgenres that have been (and/or should be) utilized. But I get what you mean. I don't know why we're speculating that numbered titles and spin-offs would be isolated to those binary genres though.

Last edited:

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
One complaint I've seen a bit of, besides how "generic" the art direction looks (though personally to me I like it...), is that it's an action RPG again. A lot of comments seem to hone in on the fact that to a lot of people turn based is Final Fantasy, and that they hated XV because of that.

I have a theory that not many are going to like... I think that many Japanese developers, including Square Enix and even certain Nintendo directors like the Paper Mario one, may think that turn based combat isn't a stylistic choice, but instead purely an archaic one. Hence the reason it has been relegated to more "indie", non-AAA games like Octopath Traveler and Bravely Default. After all, one of the main complaints about Pokemon is that it is still a turn based RPG believe it or not. Many directors and game designers in Japan might think of turn based RPGs as an archaic, retro game design, and thus I have a hard time imagining them ever returning to it for mainline Final Fantasy.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
One complaint I've seen a bit of, besides how "generic" the art direction looks (though personally to me I like it...), is that it's an action RPG again. A lot of comments seem to hone in on the fact that to a lot of people turn based is Final Fantasy, and that they hated XV because of that.

Seeing these takes frustrates me so much. XV isn't the only FF that exists with an action-based battle system; people should learn to broaden their horizons instead of immediately assuming every action-based FF is aping on the one with a poor example of it.

Alternatively they should just play 7R and see what an actual good action-based FF is capable of.

I have a theory that not many are going to like... I think that many Japanese developers, including Square Enix and even certain Nintendo directors like the Paper Mario one, may think that turn based combat isn't a stylistic choice, but instead purely an archaic one. Hence the reason it has been relegated to more "indie", non-AAA games like Octopath Traveler and Bravely Default. After all, one of the main complaints about Pokemon is that it is still a turn based RPG believe it or not. Many directors and game designers in Japan might think of turn based RPGs as an archaic, retro game design, and thus I have a hard time imagining them ever returning to it for mainline Final Fantasy.

I want to say someone at some point in time has said on the record that while SE isn't opposed to a turn-based battle system, it's not necessarily the direction they want to take the series? Don't quote me on that, I might have just made it up lol

Last edited:

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
The whining for "Turn-based" Final Fantasy has been going on in certain parts of the fandom ever since the ATB-Battle system was introduced.
With the exception of X I don't remember any modern Final Fantasy title ever having been turn-based again and those who have the nostalgia goggles glued on their faces babbling at every corner about "standard features" a "true FF" must have like turn-based battle system, a fully explorable world map, a controllable air ship etc. are as annoying as Original Trilogy purists in Star Wars.

This category of fans and the sort of those who have made it a sport to always hate with very much fervor on the newest entry in the series are the reason why I largely totally ignore the Final Fantasy fandom as a whole.
Add on top of it the constant ship wars, the "war" between FF VI and FF VII fans and the constant complaints about certain character types and you have a toxic pool of "ick" that can really sour your own experience of the series if you attend it for too long.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
Seeing these takes frustrates me so much. XV isn't the only FF that exists with an action-based battle system people should learn to broaden their horizons instead of immediately assuming every action-based FF is aping on the one with a poor example of it.

Alternatively they should just play 7R and see what an actual good action-based FF is capable of.
Exactly! Thank you, I was worried it would be the same opinion here. The issue with XV's combat wasn't that it was an action game, but rather that magic took a major backseat and the "hold a button" playstyle. This looks much closer to DMC combat and looks fantastic.

I want to say someone at some point in time has said on the record that while SE isn't opposed to a turn-based battle system, it's not necessarily the direction they want to take the series? Don't quote me on that, I might have just made it up lol
I'm just making a statement based upon what I've seen, not only with Square Enix but video games in general. Turn based only seems to exist in more indie or lower budget properties, and it has affected Paper Mario as well as Final Fantasy. The Mario and Luigi series is all but dead, Dragon Quest isn't as big in the west as it is in Japan, and Pokemon has a very negative connotation with being archaic in every single way. So yeah, I have doubts it will ever be the same again.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Even though I love the ATB and turn based systems of Final Fantasy, I will always respect the series for stepping out of it's comfort zone and trying new things to keep it fresh, even if some didn't always work out. Compare it to Pokemon which rarely ever takes risk in any of it's genres, both game wise and it's anime. No wonder I grew bored of the series by X and Y.

Elysium

Awards
I won't lie, I'm a big fan of turn-based... But I enjoyed XV, too? I think it's definitely true that the company sees turn-based as "old" and won't be returning to it. Much in the same way that Disney killed "old" hand-drawn animation for "new" 3D animation.... Not willing to see the two as legitimate in their own way. They're just as guilty of treating battle systems with bias as the fans who only want turn-based are, and what's more, they actually hold the power here and not the fandom.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I won't lie, I'm a big fan of turn-based... But I enjoyed XV, too? I think it's definitely true that the company sees turn-based as "old" and won't be returning to it. Much in the same way that Disney killed "old" hand-drawn animation for "new" 3D animation.... Not willing to see the two as legitimate in their own way. They're just as guilty of treating battle systems with bias as the fans who only want turn-based are, and what's more, they actually hold the power here and not the fandom.
Turn-based and hand-drawn 2D animation. Two dying breeds I do miss. I love action games too, I mean I am a KH fan. But one day I think it would be a nice treat if they did try a FF game with TB or ATB for at least one game. I applaud them for evolving the style of Final Fantasy, but going back to your roots every now and again isn't bad either.

Elysium

Awards
I agree. I'm fine with the series going in a new direction, but I wish they would return to turn-based once every few installments. I've accepted that won't happen though. And at least I like action games, so it's far from the worst thing in the world.

Rydgea

Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Final Fantasy has always changed its combat in some fashion. After I played FFVII (my first), I remember being stumped, looking for the materia system in VIII. Turn-based isn't even some archaic way of gaming; it's still prevalent. FF7:R even incorporated it as another option.

I don't give a crap if it's action-based, turn-based, something else. Just make it fun.

Last edited:

Noivern

Awards
I would love to see a female main antagonist. It’s crazy how Ultimecia is the only one in the entire series (I don’t count Cloud of Darkness since it’s genderless), and to be honest she’s actually one of the best of all the antagonists in my opinion. Unapologetically evil with no sad back story that makes you feel bad for her, like pretty much all of the other FF antagonists (except Kefka).

Ehh, that depends on how you view her. I know it was "confirmed" by devs that this is not the case, but I'm on the side that belives the theory that Ultimecia is a tragic, future incarnation of Rinoa and the only reason this is refused by the devs is so the game can have a proper "happy" ending. I don't know, there's just so much in the game pointing towards that and without it her character just feels very empty to me, as I feel like her having no proper story (doesn't even have to be sad, just.. something?) doesn't work as much as Kefka.

@ thread

I don't necessarily mind a more medieval Final Fantasy. I have a lot of love for the Crystal Chronicles saga, for one, even if we take away the ancient technology part. What I don't like is, again, the lack of style this game seems to have so far.

I feel like what hurts this reveal the most is the lack of concept art. Older games didn't have such a big trailer showing so much ingame, but we got a LOT of concept. The Fabula Nova Crysalis, for once, was introduced with a bunch of lore that still looks good to this day, even if the original plans for the games fell apart and not everything was used in the end.

I want to see different races, fantasy-like armor with unique designs, or at least more.. color, lol. I have no doubt at all that this is going to be a fantastic game, I just hope it will also be a good Final Fantasy game.

Even though XIII and XV had a lot of faults, both games still look and read as Final Fantasy games to me.

I know the Tactics fanbase has been very vocal about their love for this game, but I like my Final Fantasy to be loaded with Fantasy, and I'm not seeing much of that so far. This is quite the shame as I feel like this is the perfect opportunity to finally present us a game that can bring to life Amano's artstyle in full force.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
Companies prioritize the maximization of their profits. If FINAL FANTASY, as a brand, wishes to extend its revenues, then appealing to a market outside their traditional consumers is an option. How did FF do this? By implementing open world and Action RPG in FFXV.

We can, however, bring the example that brands like Persona and Fire Emblem expanded their profitability of brands without renouncing to their core identity: turn-based JRPGs.

But Final Fantasy isn't like Persona nor Fire Emblem. Nor are their leaderships similar (Square Enix Vs. Atlus Vs. Intelligent Systems).

The SE higher thoughts determined that turn-based isn't a core identity of Final Fantasy, but rather, its uniqueness. Each FF entry has its own identity, to the point that they made a fighting crossover: Dissidia.

While I do understand the fandom's... "bitching" (because at this point, it's just spiteful from some people) about FF returning to its roots, they may need to come to terms with the fact that mainline FF games could continue to be Action RPG oriented.

But I am of the opinion that, once the FF7R project is done, the next mainline FF will be developed with FF7R's battle system. And from some point forward, we'll get two types of FF's: Action RPGs and not-so-Action RPG.

Edit:

I forgot to add:

• Fans need to take into consideration that video games nowadays aren't made for specific fans, bur rather, to a broader appeal.

• Speaking of Paper Mario, people need to come to terms with the possibility that some changes are permanent and just hope that what we're getting can be made better. The transition from Sticker Star > Color Splash > Origami King is a prime example of this.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I'm content with the reveal as it was. SE usually does those "proof of concept" trailers that do nothing but show that the game is 4-5 years away. It's a frustrating habit of theirs. While they can be visually stunning trailers or great teasers, they always were a sign of a long wait.

With this, I feel like I can be certain we'll get our hands on it in late 2021 or 2022 because it's clearly a game that is already years deep into development.

I would love a glitzy Visual Works trailer and a bunch of concept art and other staples of earlier reveals, but I'm happier to wait for all of that stuff later in the marketing cycle if it means we get more actual content from the game proving it is a real, working game and not some sort of target render like FFXV, FF7R or KH3 had when they were revealed or had their first gameplay reveal.

Awards
Ehh, that depends on how you view her. I know it was "confirmed" by devs that this is not the case, but I'm on the side that belives the theory that Ultimecia is a tragic, future incarnation of Rinoa and the only reason this is refused by the devs is so the game can have a proper "happy" ending. I don't know, there's just so much in the game pointing towards that and without it her character just feels very empty to me, as I feel like her having no proper story (doesn't even have to be sad, just.. something?) doesn't work as much as Kefka.

I get what you’re saying, but since it was confirmed by devs to not be true, it’s still just considered a fan theory.

That’s besides the point. We just haven’t had a female antagonist since her and I think the series could use one.

Back