• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Final Fantasy XVI

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

bambii

Awards
Website
twitter.com
Actually he was just one of the designers. He’s the Battle Director for this game, not DMC.

That was my misunderstanding; thanks for clarifying!

Also, anyone notice the apparent lack of party members? Wonder how this game will play on classic FF RPG conventions.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Also, anyone notice the apparent lack of party members? Wonder how this game will play on classic FF RPG conventions.

We'll see. It's possible they are hiding party members. I can't imagine this is a fully solo experience.

When it comes to consoles my main problem ironically isn't money. I can save up for a few months to be able to afford the device.

No, the main problem is I don't know where to put it in my living room. My TV still has a free HDMI port, but my router no more free Ethernet ports and with the Super Nintendo, PS2, PS3 and PS4 as well as the Media Receiver in the shelf below the TV I don't know where to put the damn thing!

Put away whatever console you don't use anymore?

Cumguardian69

Awards
Gameplay refused to show off physical feedback from attacks, making them feel weightless. Like...as animations are concerned, it looked like a cross between XV and DMCV...but seemingly-boss tier enemies never suffered recoil. That's not good for an action game. Looked amateurish.

Other than that, I'm glad to see a return to old-school villages instead of modern tech. I miss the vibes we got from FFXII and it looks like XVI will deliver that in spades.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

I don't remember any FF that showed off the entire party in its debut trailer. They always start off with the lead and then roll out the others leading up to release.

the red monster

Awards
I think people need to keep in mind this is an early trailer, it ain't getting released anytime soon and will get a lot of polish over the year and will look visually better too. (marvel's avengers is a prime example)
for a reveal trailer, it's really promising.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
The graphics aren't too good from what i would expect from a next gen only ff game.
I'm sure they'll be optimized, like how Kingdom Hearts III and the FINAL FANTASY VII Remake graphics were made much, much better.

The way the camera is focused makes it seem like it will be a solo game, of course i don't fully believe that since it is the first trailer and there's plenty time until it releases
It gives off that look, but like you said, it's too early to tell.

- The artstyle is super generic, looks like a improved version of what 14 uses. No hate to FF14 players, I know that game can look georgeous with mods. But I'm not really a fan of the "realistic anime" that the franchise is leaning into. It's fine for 13 or 15 with the more realistic artstyle of those games as that brings a bit of an unique flair, but I for the medieval games.. If not for the classic monsters and summons, someone could tell me this is a new Dragon Age and I would believe it.
I think fans didn't like how different the bros looked from the rest of the NPCs, so perhaps this game is leveraging that aspect.

- I don't really like the little story we got so far. I'm not really a fan of medieval settings in general, but I like the older FF's as each brought a unique spin to the genre. Specially 9. But what little we got from the trailer gave me a bunch of plots from numerous entrys.. The revolt against the summons from 13, politics from 12, prince/guardian stuff from 15. I know this is a really old franchise and it's somewhat hard to come up with unique stuff and this is only the first trailer, but it's yet another white boy with dark hair and bright eyes. At least make an effort to change things up lol
I think the series can still come up with original ideas. FINAL FANTASY IV is yet another medieval FF game, but it handled its plot well with the protagonist's redemption arc form Dark Knight to Paladin and the fact that his family is from outer space.

They definitely have that look. It is also important to keep in mind this is also XIV’s version of Crystal Tools. The engine has undergone extensive retooling over the years for the XIV team.

Crystal Tools was always a rather impressive engine, but the limitations of the PS3 always held it back for the Lightning Saga, and the framework and nature of XIV kept it from showing off its full potential.

It looks like they’ve done what was initially planned with Crystal Tools and Luminous with Luminous being a lighting tool for Crystal Tools.

I wouldn't be surprised if they implemented effects and lighting from Luminous considering how the particle effects work.

But I'm just guessing from looking at the trailer.
Solid points. Thanks for sharing them, Spock. :)

And by that time other games like Ratchet and Clank and Horizon 2 will be out so you’ll have lots of great options :)
And hopefully a PS5 Slim *cough*

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Put away whatever console you don't use anymore?

That would indeed be the easiest solution yet the problem is they're all still used to a degree as I have a big game library for each and the PS2 has to do double duty for the PS1 titles too.
Due to worklife and other stuff I also still have a huge backlog of games I bought but so far never could even start to play as well. :oops:

Well, depending on how big the PS5 is I may be able to cram it into the same shelf part the SNES is as that one is smaller and gets mainly used only when certain people visit to play stuff like the original old Mario Kart from the 90's. :LOL:

It's also somewhat interesting that of all those consoles I own, the SNES (oldest) and PS4 (newest) are the ones to still run the smoothest.
The PS2 sometimes has problems reading a disc and the PS3 seems to be the one most prone to technical failures.

I don't remember any FF that showed off the entire party in its debut trailer. They always start off with the lead and then roll out the others leading up to release.
I remember as well in the old days the major characters were revealed one by one through the years of marketing.

Although I think this time around we already got two. The older black-haired MC who apparently can transform into Ifrit and the younger Lann/Denzel boy who turns into Phoenix.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
That would indeed be the easiest solution yet the problem is they're all still used to a degree as I have a big game library for each and the PS2 has to do double duty for the PS1 titles too.
Due to worklife and other stuff I also still have a huge backlog of games I bought but so far never could even start to play as well. :oops:

Well, depending on how big the PS5 is I may be able to cram it into the same shelf part the SNES is as that one is smaller and gets mainly used only when certain people visit to play stuff like the original old Mario Kart from the 90's. :LOL:

It's also somewhat interesting that of all those consoles I own, the SNES (oldest) and PS4 (newest) are the ones to still run the smoothest.
The PS2 sometimes has problems reading a disc and the PS3 seems to be the one most prone to technical failures.

Sadly, the PS5 is a beast.

Size.jpg

Although I think this time around we already got two. The older black-haired MC who apparently can transform into Ifrit and the younger Lann/Denzel boy who turns into Phoenix.

Joshua is the young boy. I think things will happen that will cause us to be split from him, either because he'll be killed, captured, or become an antagonist/opposing force.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
If there’s any console to retire, it would be the PS4 since 99% of titles will work on PS5 (the 1% is probably just an “in case” clause so people don’t like, sue Sony when a game doesn’t work).

After that it’s just about finding the space for that beast of a machine.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Sadly, the PS5 is a beast.

Size.jpg

Joshua is the young boy. I think things will happen that will cause us to be split from him, either because he'll be killed, captured, or become an antagonist/opposing force.
Ouch, that's really a monster.
Does it at least have a decent Hard Drive?
On my PS4 I already had to connect an external HD, :LOL:.

Ah, so Joshua is the young one.
Well, since he seems to be associated with Phoenix him getting killed and then returning (maybe a bit "wrong" due to trauma etc.) does look like a plausible scenario to play out.

They do apparently market him as the MC though? When they originally unveiled XII did they also advertise Reks then?

But then again, the scenario that he gets captured and a good chunk of the early/mid game is spent by the older black-haired MCs effforts to rescue him is also plausible.

If there’s any console to retire, it would be the PS4 since 99% of titles will work on PS5 (the 1% is probably just an “in case” clause so people don’t like, sue Sony when a game doesn’t work).

After that it’s just about finding the space for that beast of a machine.
Wait what?
The PS5 has backwards compatibility like the PS2 did for the PS1?

In that case once I've confirmed all PS4 games I own run on the PS5 (and maybe copied my save data, screenshots etc. from there) I will of course retire the PS4.
No reason to keep it then!

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Wait what?
The PS5 has backwards compatibility like the PS2 did for the PS1?

In that case once I've confirmed all PS4 games I own run on the PS5 (and maybe copied my save data, screenshots etc. from there) I will of course retire the PS4.
No reason to keep it then!

“Ryan also said that of the thousands of games tested for PS4 backwards compatibility, “99 percent” can be played on the next console. Sony also announced a new service called PS Plus Collection, which will offer 18 PS4 first-party titles for download to subscribers to the PlayStation online service. It’s a tremendous freebie for anyone who plays their PlayStation online, and a good entry point for anyone new to Sony properties like “The Last of Us.””

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Gotta say I quite like this part as I was always a sucker for backwards compatibility and I dare say that it was at least one factor in the huge success of the PS2 back in its heydays.

The PS5 continuing on this only increases the chances of me considering getting the console since if I can safely retire my PS4 without losing anything in my game library the issue of not enough free space in the living room is already solved.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Does the PS5 have backward compatibility for DLC content for PS4 games?

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Does the PS5 have backward compatibility for DLC content for PS4 games?
DLC is mostly account-bound and made in the same engine/file structure than the game it belongs to correct?

Therefore it should count for DLC too. If you can't copy your entire HD data from the PS4 to the PS5 you might have to re-download DLCs but that should do it.

If you couldn't get DLC too this would lead to hilarity in Dynasty Warriors Empires 8 as several of my own created officers would then have to go into battle without pants. :ROFLMAO:

SweetYetSalty

Awards
DLC is mostly account-bound and made in the same engine/file structure than the game it belongs to correct?

Therefore it should count for DLC too. If you can't copy your entire HD data from the PS4 to the PS5 you might have to re-download DLCs but that should do it.

If you couldn't get DLC too this would lead to hilarity in Dynasty Warriors Empires 8 as several of my own created officers would then have to go into battle without pants. :ROFLMAO:
See, I don't know any of this. I'm still discovering things about my PS4 even today. What about DLC content you got for a physical disc? Would that carry over? Is it forever stored on the disc itself?

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
If DLC is included on a physical disc like i.e. with a Complete Edition release then it should be indeed stored on the disc itself or have a code included which allows all included DLC to be downloaded for free from the PS store.

Furthermore, DLC you already installed once should be marked in your PSN profile so you can re-download it when needed.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
If DLC is included on a physical disc like i.e. with a Complete Edition release then it should be indeed stored on the disc itself or have a code included which allows all included DLC to be downloaded for free from the PS store.

Furthermore, DLC you already installed once should be marked in your PSN profile so you can re-download it when needed.
Well that's one less thing to worry about. But I'm still not ready to change yet.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
I would caution anyone to wait on retiring your PS4s until it's certain there are no serious issues with the PS5's performance. The original fat PS3s that boasted PS1 and PS2 backwards compatibility suffered many malfunctions. I still have mine, but use it extremely rarely. In fact, I think Lightning Returns is my last item in queue for it.

The XVI trailer looked a bit borish initially but piqued my interest towards the end.

My hope for this game is that they learn from XV and just commit to a solid experience without thinking about how they can market 10 other games under its umbrella.

I am also kindof hoping we stick to the genre. Just let it be a medieval fantasy setting, just because it's been sooo long for a main entry. I love the aesthetic of IX and XII, but they err a bit more towards steampunk. I could do with one FF title that doesn't force the sci-fi elements in there. EDIT: I love sci-fi, but I like different flavors.

Last edited:

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I would caution anyone to wait on retiring your PS4s until it's certain there are no series issues with the PS5's performance. The original fat PS3s that boasted PS1 and PS2 backwards compatibility suffered many malfunctions. I still have mine, but use it extremely rarely. In fact, I think Lightning Returns is my last item in queue for it.

The XVI trailer looked a bit borish initially but piqued my interest towards the end.

My hope for this game is that they learn from XV and just commit to a solid experience without thinking about how they can market 10 other games under its umbrella.

I am also kindof hoping we stick to the genre. Just let it be a medieval fantasy setting, just because it's been sooo long for a main entry. I love the aesthetic of IX and XII, but they err a bit more towards steampunk. I could do with one FF title that doesn't force the sci-fi elements in there. EDIT: I love sci-fi, but I like different flavors.
I get what you are saying, but don't all Final Fantasy games have some elements of sci-fi mixed with fantasy? Even the ones in medieval setting?

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
(Haven't read the previous comments or first post yet) The trailer really has me excited! I'm glad it's being worked on anyway, and I have a couple of years to get a PS5 at a good deal. I like the mention of Shiva at the beginning. I hope the woman we see around the two minute mark is the villain--we need a good villainess! Someone as good or better than Ultimecia.

The fight between the two...summons (?) reminded me a bit of Alexandria v. Bahamut in IX.

Back