• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Final Fantasy XVI

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
PS5 stock hasn't improved overseas?

We just started to have more PS5 drops on online store fronts and stores have put them on shelves (though I imagine not for long). I'm in a PS5 Aus group and there's constant posts about how an EB or a JB have 10 consoles in the back room.

I'm hoping you're able to get one! It's been a great console for the games that have taken advantage of it.

It's honestly less of an availability concern (although, for the holidays I still haven't seen one in the wild), and more of a "I haven't budgeted for a PS5 yet" concern, in addition to just personally wanting to finally own a mid-generation console upgrade for once. I know, the PS5 was the wrong gen to hold out for one, but I still think the base model is pretty horrendous, in addition to being hulking (and the apt is running out of space), so I keep looking to the future for a more compact model.

In the meantime, while saving for a console, I become more and more interested in PC gaming, so only time will tell what choice I ultimately go with. I've been so brand loyal to PS ever since the first gen, besides handhelds. It'll be hard to resist once this next year's games roll around for sure. 😵‍💫

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
A refresh is apparently in the works so I don't blame you for holding out! It's weird to think we're already 2 years into the alleged 10 year life span and there's already been two slightly refined models.

I got into PC gaming a tiny bit when I bought a PC earlier this year and I've mostly used it for double dipping on games for mods. If you have a PC then, even though it's on Epic, KH3 with mods is something else. Being able to go past boundaries and take photos at the Twilight Town clocktower, a whole ass coliseum mode in Olympus, a re-made gameplay with Riku.... it's incredible.

The pricing for delayed PC ports though is crazy and often has me holding out so I only have KH, FFVIIR, and the 1-6 FF ports for mods (and the FF XIII series because I stand by those being good games).

Was it FFXVI or Forspoken that had the "not available on other platforms until December 31 2023?" Because 6 months for a PC port isn't that bad if you'd prefer to play on PC... if they meet that port day 1.

I'm the same as you, I've been PlayStation loyal since Christmas 2002 or 2003. Outside of some Nintendo games, everything for me has been PlayStation and it feels weird to go away from that. The only proper PS5 exclusive I've played that doesn't have a planned PC port so far is Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart; it's nice that PC people can also play the games.

Rydgea

Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Yeah, the customization is the main appeal for me, which I think goes in tandem with the community element, which I also love - seeing the player base's love for these games enhance them in a way I wouldn't be able to experience otherwise.

And, ultimately, I'd probably have a majority of delayed, ported Square titles, like you. But, I have a backlog a mile long anyway, so I don't mind holding out. I'm just finally putting the finishing touches on MoM after all (and for the foreseeable future as Dark Domination owns me).

However, I feel like the PS5 has maybe the best PS incentive on par with the launch PS3, which let you play all previous gen PS titles, since they upgrade your PS4 titles, at least, several key titles I own. That dangling carrot is factoring into my consideration.

I may end up with both, potentially getting the PC sooner, just to finally shake things up a bit. Though, I will say I'm shocked that the delayed ports are so expensive. Part of the allure for me was always the economic pricing of games on Steam.

Sorry to derail the thread, btw. FFXVI will definitely be preordered for the (at least physical) goodies. I just don't know that I'll be able to play it day one.

Last edited:

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I thought I'd read that the PS5 is not backwards compatible with PS1-4 games? Maybe if you download them digitally through the PSN, I guess, maybe they are that way?

@Rodin:Thanks for posting the voice cast. I looked the names up on Wikipedia, but couldn't right off place anyone. Some of them I know I've seen things they've been in, just my memory of them isn't clear.

D

Deleted member 246005

I thought I'd read that the PS5 is not backwards compatible with PS1-4 games? Maybe if you download them digitally through the PSN, I guess, maybe they are that way?

@Rodin:Thanks for posting the voice cast. I looked the names up on Wikipedia, but couldn't right off place anyone. Some of them I know I've seen things they've been in, just my memory of them isn't clear.
Ralph Ineson was in AC4 and the Green Knight film that came out a year or two ago.

I don't know anyone else but I'm out of touch with anime so I figured that was it.

Rydgea

Awards
Website
backloggery.com

It's not that I'm aware. I was just stating that, next to the PS3, which had backwards compatibility with the first two gens (launch model only, and the most backwards compatible unit we've had), the PS5 offers the most enticing incentive for me in that (select) PS4 games are upgraded complimentary rather than just being playable on the new system.

D

Deleted member 246005

Last edited by a moderator:

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards

PS5 is fully backwards compatible with PS4, but games from PS1-3 can only be played if they’re available on PSN or PS+.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
I haven't watched any of the new videos yet, and I don't plan to. I was pretty sold with the team working on the game and the initial trailer I watched, so I'm here with blind faith just waiting for the game to drop.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
Things I liked and disliked from the panel:

Liked:
World map
Faster travel
The Fallen backstory/lore
COMBAT

Disliked:
Showcased open world seemed barren like FFXV (but a little better)
Draw distance seems to struggle when displaying objects from afar (pixelated chocobos)
Some lighting/shading needs to be corrected

Sakuraba Neku

Awards
Game looks cool, but I'm not impressed with the graphics. I don't like Square Enix engine. There's nothing groundbreaking about it. Never was.

FF7 Remake was done using UE4 and looks better for me, despite being a PS4 game. The gap becomes bigger if I compare FF16 to first party games like GOW Ragnarok and Horizon Forbidden West. And none of these are PS5 exclusives...

I'm just glad CBU1 team is not bothering in this engine anymore. FF7 Rebirth and KH4 will use UE5 as they should.

Last edited:

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Between the shotlocks and the Phoenix gameplay being the same as KH3’s gummi ship battles, there’s no denying the influence the KH team had on this game. Love to see it.

Back