• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Final Fantasy XV

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
I'm definitely waiting patiently for the novel. I really do want to read everything that was planned for Dawn of the Future. I feel lucky that we are getting it in novel form at least for those of us that were looking forward to the rest of this. So until then, FFXV still lives on in my house haha.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
All we can do, really, is wait for the novel to release so we can learn what they wanted fans to experience.

For everyone else, Final Fantast XV is over and dead for good.
From the few I could gather, Lunafreya's Episode might have focused on reviving her, and whatever happens after that, so I don't think it was gonna be mainly centered on her backstory. Granted, you don't need to give a character more of a past to expand on him/her, but yeah.

Yeah, FINAL FANTASY XV, and pretty much a part of the Fabula Nova Crystalis era, can now rest in peace. Granted, I hope that, maybe 20 years from now, the Universe of FFXV is given justice by making a proper remake project.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
Finally, Kenny Crow's origin story. The whole of FFXV has finally been brought together:

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
From the few I could gather, Lunafreya's Episode might have focused on reviving her, and whatever happens after that, so I don't think it was gonna be mainly centered on her backstory. Granted, you don't need to give a character more of a past to expand on him/her, but yeah.

Yeah, FINAL FANTASY XV, and pretty much a part of the Fabula Nova Crystalis era, can now rest in peace. Granted, I hope that, maybe 20 years from now, the Universe of FFXV is given justice by making a proper remake project.
This is the first I’ve heard it being about reviving her and not about playing as her in a story. Then again, I haven’t watched many ATRs or kept up with FFXV that much since the cancellation.

Still, that’s very interesting that they seemed to have crafted a completely different story to be told in DLC, DLC that was only to be made for the fans and yet the story seems to have appealed mostly to people who aren’t fans and wanted a different story?

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
This is the first I’ve heard it being about reviving her and not about playing as her in a story. Then again, I haven’t watched many ATRs or kept up with FFXV that much since the cancellation.

Still, that’s very interesting that they seemed to have crafted a completely different story to be told in DLC, DLC that was only to be made for the fans and yet the story seems to have appealed mostly to people who aren’t fans and wanted a different story?
Was there really demand outside of the FFXV fandom? Single player DLC isn't that popular. The Achievements statistics even confirm it.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Was there really demand outside of the FFXV fandom? Single player DLC isn't that popular. The Achievements statistics even confirm it.
That’s what I mean. They only were going to make the second round of DLC for the fans, but the story they were crafting seems like it was in response for the people who didn’t like the story in the first place.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
That’s what I mean. They only were going to make the second round of DLC for the fans, but the story they were crafting seems like it was in response for the people who didn’t like the story in the first place.
I think it was more along the lines of streamlining and adding whatever lore was missing, and offering an alternate ending.

Though this team of writers has a tendency of retconning some stuff. If this project is ever remade, for sure, don't let these writers back.

U.N. Owen

Awards
Dawn of the Future is out in Japan and English summaries are floating out there. I'll be more judgemental once it's out in English, but here we go.

Episode Aranea
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Episode Luna and Episode Noctis

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I mean, I was of the opinion that Bahamut was a jackass, but when you think about it, the reality that not even the gods can get rid of the Starscourge, the Draconian had to pretty much devise a plan that entailed amassing the Starscourge into a single host, and create a line of kings based on his powers powerful enough to get rid of the Starscourge in one fell swoop, which entailed 113 kings.

Nothing in FFXV is fair, but it had to happen.

U.N. Owen

Awards
Which is why I hate Episode Luna so much because

Bahamut can control and manipulate the starscourge since he turned Luna into basically a second Ardyn.

Screw this stupid AU. It can only be an AU because so much it retconned, like how the other gods hate Bahamut even though they showed no problem in FFXV.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I am happy that the only Episode we got was Ardyn's. The rest of the Episodes, minus Aranea's, seem like complete and utter trash. I like to think that Bahamut was an asshole because the cards he was dealt had him do the stuff he did.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
I mean, I was of the opinion that Bahamut was a jackass, but when you think about it, the reality that not even the gods can get rid of the Starscourge, the Draconian had to pretty much devise a plan that entailed amassing the Starscourge into a single host, and create a line of kings based on his powers powerful enough to get rid of the Starscourge in one fell swoop, which entailed 113 kings.

Nothing in FFXV is fair, but it had to happen.

That's why I think it's silly because literal Gods can't get rid of a plague, but Powers of Kings and an old-ass ring can? All of the Gods (except MAYBE Shiva and possibly Ramuh) are assholes and didn't seem to give a shit about human beings or their actions as a whole. "Oh, we messed up? Get the worthless humans to clean it up." And Noctis had to eat that fate with a smile. Ardyn even moreso, even his heel turn was destined to happen.

I liked FFXV, but I never understood why Noctis never fought against his fate. Sure it might've been "cliche", but when a God tells you, "Everyone died for you, so now you gotta die for them cause we messed up", I'd wanna throw hands. Reading this though, idunno, I'm not really all THAT surprised it ended this way because from the beginning, the game was originally Fabula Nova Crystallis-related. And I think a lot of what Versus was going to be, ended up in the subsequent games like FFXIII-2 and Lightning Returns. So I don't think it's bad, but there definitely could've been different directions to go with it.

U.N. Owen

Awards
Fabula Nova Crystallis-related. And I think a lot of what Versus was going to be, ended up in the subsequent games like FFXIII-2 and Lightning Returns. So I don't think it's bad, but there definitely could've been different directions to go with it.

If we were to take the "Versus" in "Versus XIII" literally, then we could assume that, since XIII was about fighting against fate, then Versus XIII would be succumbing to fate.

Still, I just hated Dawn of the Future from what I've read so far. Episode Aranea is pretty good, but Episode Noctis and Episode Luna just made me question why the hell is the nature of this starscourge. Not what the hell, why the hell.

Bahamut apparently uses the starscourge from Luna to charge up his teraflare in order to burn Eos into space dust. I'm sorry, what?

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
literal Gods can't get rid of a plague
The Astrals aren't the gods of creation. The Hexageon are like overseers of what Etro/Eos created. Other than that, the Starscourge came from outer space. Probably a nod to Jenova from FINAL FANTASY VII. This game's story has a lot of nods to previous FF titles, and may even be a homage to the franchise as a whole.

but Powers of Kings and an old-ass ring can?
Noctis Lucis Caelum, as the 114th King of Lucis and the chosen King of Kings, has the power of the Astrals, his lineage and Crystal. He's literally a combination of every force in the world of Eos. Of course someone like that can take on the Starscourge, as Bahamut planned.

I'd wanna throw hands.
The circumstances pretty much made him follow the prophecy. That, and Ardyn personally pushed Noct into his role. Or rather, just accelerate the process.

ended up in the subsequent games like FFXIII-2 and Lightning Returns.
Uh, no. It ended up being used in Episode Ardyn, and from the looks of things, KINGDOM HEARTS DDD, and possibly post-KHIII games.

Not what the hell, why the hell.
It's just another underdeveloped plot-point. Though I don't think it needed more explanation: virus from out space comes into out planet and is a menace.

Spoiler Spoiler Show
If you read the translation of "Somnus" lyrics, god is asleep and awakens at dawn. There is mention of his children creating a fire, and I'd like to think that said fire, at least in this game, are the Astrals burning everyone in order to awaken god, and the sun that awakens god is actually the fire his children started.

U.N. Owen

Awards
It's just another underdeveloped plot-point. Though I don't think it needed more explanation: virus from out space comes into out planet and is a menace.

If you read the translation of "Somnus" lyrics, god is asleep and awakens at dawn. There is mention of his children creating a fire, and I'd like to think that said fire, at least in this game, are the Astrals burning everyone in order to awaken god, and the sun that awakens god is actually the fire his children started.

I honestly interpreted the lyrics of Somnus as referring to the FNC shared mythos and some of Versus XIII (i.e. "god sleep" = Bhunivelze, "children creating fire they can't put out" = Pulse, Lindzei and Etro creating various planets and species of the universe which ultimately bite them, "every tragedy divides" = original plot fo Versus XIII etc.)

Then again, FFXV decided to basically keep all the FNC aspects and change all the names.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
If we were to take the "Versus" in "Versus XIII" literally, then we could assume that, since XIII was about fighting against fate, then Versus XIII would be succumbing to fate.

Still, I just hated Dawn of the Future from what I've read so far. Episode Aranea is pretty good, but Episode Noctis and Episode Luna just made me question why the hell is the nature of this starscourge. Not what the hell, why the hell.

Bahamut apparently uses the starscourge from Luna to charge up his teraflare in order to burn Eos into space dust. I'm sorry, what?

I think Nomura had something like that planned, because they were both supposed to "clash" in some form, if memory serves. Same universe, different worlds, but still ruled by the same Gods. I think back in the day, Noctis was essentially a l'cie along with Stella, and Etro was the fal'cie that was running the show. Noct and Stella also were able to see the lights of expiring souls because of a near-death experience as kids among other things.

It's pretty interesting because you can kinda tell that Dawn of The Future kinda tried to be Versus XIII in some ways, but couldn't really deliver. But honestly, I think it's a good thing that we wrapped it up. FFXV's been run through the mud long enough, and with the way KH is looking... I doubt we'll see the last of Versus XIII, regardless of whatever iteration it decides to form as.

Also, Episode Aranea would've been the DLC that fans would've gone nuts over, from what I'm seeing. Dunno if they'd be happy to pay for it, but the experience sounds like it would deliver. I certainly would buy it.

The Astrals aren't the gods of creation. The Hexageon are like overseers of what Etro/Eos created. Other than that, the Starscourge came from outer space. Probably a nod to Jenova from FINAL FANTASY VII. This game's story has a lot of nods to previous FF titles, and may even be a homage to the franchise as a whole.

Makes me wonder if that's what the Starscourge actually is. It wouldn't be the first time games and worlds are connected. There originally was supposed to be a villain named "Safay Roth", after all. They never say what the Starscourge actually is, just that it came from space and it's a plague. Hm...

Also. Was there a Goddess in XV? I know Etro was supposed to be originally in there, but once they changed everything up, her presence isn't there anymore. I think it was natural to assume the Goddess was Eos, but I don't remember if that's actually what happens.

Noctis Lucis Caelum, as the 114th King of Lucis and the chosen King of Kings, has the power of the Astrals, his lineage and Crystal. He's literally a combination of every force in the world of Eos. Of course someone like that can take on the Starscourge, as Bahamut planned.

Right, but then there's the whole issue with the crystal being polluted all the way back in the Episode Ardyn prologue. One could ask, "If the ring is the power of the crystal AND the Astrals, why didn't THEY take care of it in the first place if the power comes from them?"

Spoiler Spoiler Show

The circumstances pretty much made him follow the prophecy. That, and Ardyn personally pushed Noct into his role. Or rather, just accelerate the process.

Yeah, but I still would resist. And I suppose that's more traditional with FF. I understand why Noct had to do it, and I honestly think the end result was for the betterment of the world as a whole. But it just seems like they relied on humans to go clean up the messes, when they're beings of near-infinite power and are MUCH more capable of handling the issue. I don't think this is an issue at all, but I think it really drives the point home that these Astrals had their own agendas and aren't necessarily looking out for humanity altruistically.

Uh, no. It ended up being used in Episode Ardyn, and from the looks of things, KINGDOM HEARTS DDD, and possibly post-KHIII games.

I do think that there's a lot that's repurposed into those titles, but keep in mind too that at the time of Versus being developed, the XIII trilogy was still alive and kicking. It's not a stretch to think that since Versus ended up being canceled and changed into XV, they took a lot of the elements that would've been FNC-related and put it into the XIII trilogy. I mean, Caius and Ardyn are pretty similar, for one thing. Then there's also the time travel stuff as well. Of course, I can't say that it's fact, I'm really just making a guess. But there definitely are similarities.

But in the end, it's like what Nomura said -- nobody really knows where he was truly going to take the series, and what Versus was back then and what Versus would be like now would most likely two completely different games. If it was going through a ton of rewrites back when he was actually working on the game still, I don't doubt that he'd be rewriting it all this time until the perfect time. Who knows what Verum Rex or KH4 or whatever the next title is going to be like, but I agree with you that a lot of the concepts that he truly wanted to use and probably what would've been the driving force of Versus XIII may very well end up being the basis for whatever he's got coming next.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I honestly interpreted the lyrics of Somnus as referring to the FNC shared mythos and some of Versus XIII (i.e. "god sleep" = Bhunivelze, "children creating fire they can't put out" = Pulse, Lindzei and Etro creating various planets and species of the universe which ultimately bite them, "every tragedy divides" = original plot fo Versus XIII etc.)

Then again, FFXV decided to basically keep all the FNC aspects and change all the names.
I always LOL at "Eos": it's just "Etro", with without the "t, r" and with and added "s", haha.

I think Nomura had something like that planned, because they were both supposed to "clash" in some form, if memory serves. Same universe, different worlds, but still ruled by the same Gods. I think back in the day, Noctis was essentially a l'cie along with Stella, and Etro was the fal'cie that was running the show. Noct and Stella also were able to see the lights of expiring souls because of a near-death experience as kids among other things.

It's pretty interesting because you can kinda tell that Dawn of The Future kinda tried to be Versus XIII in some ways, but couldn't really deliver. But honestly, I think it's a good thing that we wrapped it up. FFXV's been run through the mud long enough, and with the way KH is looking... I doubt we'll see the last of Versus XIII, regardless of whatever iteration it decides to form as.

Also, Episode Aranea would've been the DLC that fans would've gone nuts over, from what I'm seeing. Dunno if they'd be happy to pay for it, but the experience sounds like it would deliver. I certainly would buy it.

Makes me wonder if that's what the Starscourge actually is. It wouldn't be the first time games and worlds are connected. There originally was supposed to be a villain named "Safay Roth", after all. They never say what the Starscourge actually is, just that it came from space and it's a plague. Hm...

Also. Was there a Goddess in XV? I know Etro was supposed to be originally in there, but once they changed everything up, her presence isn't there anymore. I think it was natural to assume the Goddess was Eos, but I don't remember if that's actually what happens.

Right, but then there's the whole issue with the crystal being polluted all the way back in the Episode Ardyn prologue. One could ask, "If the ring is the power of the crystal AND the Astrals, why didn't THEY take care of it in the first place if the power comes from them?"

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Yeah, but I still would resist. And I suppose that's more traditional with FF. I understand why Noct had to do it, and I honestly think the end result was for the betterment of the world as a whole. But it just seems like they relied on humans to go clean up the messes, when they're beings of near-infinite power and are MUCH more capable of handling the issue. I don't think this is an issue at all, but I think it really drives the point home that these Astrals had their own agendas and aren't necessarily looking out for humanity altruistically.

I do think that there's a lot that's repurposed into those titles, but keep in mind too that at the time of Versus being developed, the XIII trilogy was still alive and kicking. It's not a stretch to think that since Versus ended up being canceled and changed into XV, they took a lot of the elements that would've been FNC-related and put it into the XIII trilogy. I mean, Caius and Ardyn are pretty similar, for one thing. Then there's also the time travel stuff as well. Of course, I can't say that it's fact, I'm really just making a guess. But there definitely are similarities.

But in the end, it's like what Nomura said -- nobody really knows where he was truly going to take the series, and what Versus was back then and what Versus would be like now would most likely two completely different games. If it was going through a ton of rewrites back when he was actually working on the game still, I don't doubt that he'd be rewriting it all this time until the perfect time. Who knows what Verum Rex or KH4 or whatever the next title is going to be like, but I agree with you that a lot of the concepts that he truly wanted to use and probably what would've been the driving force of Versus XIII may very well end up being the basis for whatever he's got coming next.
The Lightning Trilogy was created for the sole purpose of recuperating costs from the Crystal Tools dev engine. And yeah, Ardyn and Caius are similar, because of their immortality and Shakesperian like inspirations (Caius = Romeo and Juliet; Ardyn = Hamlet), but they're really different at the same time. And I presume the subject of cursing your immortality may be a piece of lore from the FNC days.

And to be honest, Fabula Nova Crystalis wasn't that bad. It's just that the delivery sucked.

Back