• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Final Fantasy XV hate?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
I see a lot of hate comments on the Final Fantasy XV trailer. They compare it to 13 because of lacking turn-based combat, many of them complain about how there are no playable female characters, and others complain that the protagonists looks like guys from a boy band. Many people on different kinds of forums also complain about the game, but others defend it.

It doesn't stop at that, others assume that Noctis is another Cloud Strife, and his companions just look bland and typical. People are mad at Square for not including Stella in the game (After they already stated they struggled to make sense of her character and role within the game.) as they found her an interesting character in the Versus XIII trailer.

I am personally excited of the game, and I don't get the hate it receives, or maybe it's just trolls, I don't know.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
From what I've seen, people are hating on it because
1) FFXIII exists
2) Noctis & pals are dressed in black and therefore are guaranteed emo hipsters
3) Some of these people have sworn to hate on everything Square Enix makes that's not a 16-bit turnbased JRPG

To be fair, FFXV has a lot of expectations it has to fulfill. It's been indev for how long now, has the title "Final Fantasy," and it also has to make up for all the FFXIII hatred.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
From what I've seen, people are hating on it because
1) FFXIII exists
2) Noctis & pals are dressed in black and therefore are guaranteed emo hipsters
3) Some of these people have sworn to hate on everything Square Enix makes that's not a 16-bit turnbased JRPG

To be fair, FFXV has a lot of expectations it has to fulfill. It's been indev for how long now, has the title "Final Fantasy," and it also has to make up for all the FFXIII hatred.
XIII doesn't look that bad. It's pretty much gold compared to....
Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Next-Gen_Box_Art.JPG

But it is a step down for a FF game. I have high expectations for FFXV.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
XIII doesn't look that bad. It's pretty much gold compared to....
Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Next-Gen_Box_Art.JPG

But it is a step down for a FF game. I have high expectations for FFXV.

I agree. I've played XIII for myself and I enjoyed it. I'm just speaking from observing the common opinion (not mine) about it, which usually ranges somewhere between "the music was great, but ehhh..." to "EVERYTHING WAS SHIT, FF IS RUINED FOREVER!!!!1!!1!"

Granted, that game's storyline at the end was really confusing. Just a boatload of lore gets thrown at you in the last half of the game, and everything spirals out of sensibility from there. I'm not sure if that angel-demon thing was Orphan or not, and the anticlimax boss after that... sigh. That was just a mess, even for an SE game.

I'm hoping that XV's story and lore won't all be contained in files that you have to read, and that the story and your own objectives make sense... well, as much sense as an SE game will normally.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
A lot of Final Fantasy fans have long since been jaded, so a lot of these complaints have been around for a while-since the game was announced really. I know it's a natural answer and I'm not saying anything original, but it's best just to ignore it. Main FF games haven't had a general positive reaction in a long time, like a real "this game is the bee's knees!" general consensus kind of reaction.

It's going to get hated on a lot no matter what they do.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
Nixing Stella was pretty much the nail in the coffin for me, tbh. The more Tabata opened his mouth in the past few months the more uneasy I grew with the game, but when they announced Stella was removed and her replacement is just this passive young girl I was just like, lol ok bye.

Maybe it will still surprise in a good way, but I'm definitely a whole lot less interested now.

TheOtherPromise

Here are my reasons for why I disagree with all of those complaints:
They compare it to 13 because of lacking turn-based combat
Personally, when I heard they were making the combat more modern, I was really excited. I might actually like the combat in final fantasy game for once.
Final Fantasy's gameplay needs to be more current if they want to get new fans.

many of them complain about how there are no playable female characters
This complaint is really annoying. Final Fantasy has had lots of strong, playable female characters in their games. I don't understand why some people think they need to have one in every single game. Let the developers make the game they wanted to make. They shouldn't throw in a playable, female character just because people are whining.

others complain that the protagonists looks like guys from a boy band
Whats wrong with boy bands?

others assume that Noctis is another Cloud Strife, and his companions just look bland and typical
Well, the characters do seem a little generic (in terms of final fantasy characters) but that doesn't make them bad. Their stories and how they develop in the game will make them unique.
Also, the dialogue in the demo already makes the characters interesting and relatable.

People are mad at Square for not including Stella in the game
I kind of understand this one but we didn't know Stella that well anyway. She did seem interesting but Luna could be interesting too. WE should give the girl a chance before judging her.

I'm really excited about Final Fantasy XV. I think its going to be a great game. All the people whining should just not buy the game and be quiet.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
I agree. I've played XIII for myself and I enjoyed it. I'm just speaking from observing the common opinion (not mine) about it, which usually ranges somewhere between "the music was great, but ehhh..." to "EVERYTHING WAS SHIT, FF IS RUINED FOREVER!!!!1!!1!"

Granted, that game's storyline at the end was really confusing. Just a boatload of lore gets thrown at you in the last half of the game, and everything spirals out of sensibility from there. I'm not sure if that angel-demon thing was Orphan or not, and the anticlimax boss after that... sigh. That was just a mess, even for an SE game.

I'm hoping that XV's story and lore won't all be contained in files that you have to read, and that the story and your own objectives make sense... well, as much sense as an SE game will normally.
I never played it, only it's sequel, FFXIII-2. Yeah, the plot in XIII is seriously confusing especially at the end. The soundtrack is flawless, and the battle system looks quite good but a bit linear.

FFXV looks completely different to that, but in a good way.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
A lot of Final Fantasy fans have long since been jaded, so a lot of these complaints have been around for a while-since the game was announced really. I know it's a natural answer and I'm not saying anything original, but it's best just to ignore it. Main FF games haven't had a general positive reaction in a long time, like a real "this game is the bee's knees!" general consensus kind of reaction.

That makes sense.
Really does...

ok sunny

Awards
I'm personally exited for 15. Noctus and pals looks stylish and representative with their outfits. Kind of resembles who they are.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Here are my reasons for why I disagree with all of those complaints:

Personally, when I heard they were making the combat more modern, I was really excited. I might actually like the combat in final fantasy game for once.
Final Fantasy's gameplay needs to be more current if they want to get new fans.
That's pretty much what I was thinking.

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
People have opinions. It doesn't require your understanding for them to genuinely dislike or be disinterested in FFXV. But you know what they say about opinions being like buttholes.

The only one I can explain is the whole lack of playable female characters. That's just the current climate with, well, most entertainment.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards

This. The Final Fantasy fanbase has been an Unpleasable Fanbase for well over a decade. People in one camp are going to be angry tha the game is not the Final Fantasy that they grew up with whilst the people in another camp will glorify the game saying that it is a vast improvement over what we have been given thus far in the series. To its credit, its still better than the Sonic fanbase although that's partially due to the fact that the Sonic fanbase is THAT BAD (and this is coming from someone from the said fanbase).

Nixing Stella was pretty much the nail in the coffin for me, tbh. The more Tabata opened his mouth in the past few months the more uneasy I grew with the game, but when they announced Stella was removed and her replacement is just this passive young girl I was just like, lol ok bye.

Maybe it will still surprise in a good way, but I'm definitely a whole lot less interested now.

I'll be the first to admit that I was really disappointed in the loss of Stella, but even that is not deterring me from game. Something really stupid has to happen for me to lose interest at this point.

Had Nomura not been axed from the game, this would probably have never happened, but perhaps we'll get lucky with Tabata this time.

I'm personally exited for 15. Noctus and pals looks stylish and representative with their outfits. Kind of resembles who they are.

Screw the "blah blah, boyband" hate, they still look cool!

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Yes, I admit I hate this game with a passion.
There are many reasons, the most memorable being some stupid stuff Tabata said about it.
E.g. "It'll be only male characters because they couldn't act like they do anymore if there was a girl."
Well of course, if every female character has to look like a damn slut (Cidney) or a barbie doll (Luna), that might even be true. If Noctis and his gang can look...normal, why can't a girl do so? A girl with a shirt or blouse, pants and sneakers or whatever really. But no.
I'm having a really hard time to take this seriously.
Things like "this game is gon' be sooo awesome wait for it versus XIII is shit but this'll be great omg" get annoying after the fans have been waiting for so long already. More work, less talk please.

What's more is that they're promoting episode duscae like it's the full game. Why update the demo? Why not release another one when they made good progress?
I just want this game to be released.
And I'm not one of those "omg this isn't Final Fantasy anymore it's gonna be shit!" people. I don't care if it's turn-based or an action battle system or if graphics are great or if the moogles look different again (iirc, many people hated on the FF XII moogles like crazy because they were "DIFFERRENT!!11"), so I won't say I'm not gonna like it. Heck, the gameplay will probably be fun and the story will be okay in the end.
But the longer it takes for the game to release, the more annoying it gets.

WaveK89

These are not my reasons to hate as I've been looking forward to this series since its initial announcement all those years ago. I'm just adding my input on why others possibly dislike this game.

It's (now broken) ties to XIII. Name it what you want, people will still know what it once was. Which brings the next point. Bringing the game from a side installment to a main installment by renaming the game. Honestly, we might as well call the FFVII Remake, "Final Fantasy XVI". Of course, I have no idea if there has been any news or reports of FFXVI being in development of any sorts, so it's all just a joke I came up with. The Action RPG setting doesn't seem to settle with some fans to warrant a main title.

Call me crazy, I just want a game the company develops in their sole artistic and creative viewpoint. Something that isn't based on appeasing the fans and giving them what they want. Actually, I think that statement is hypocritical, but I hope you understand what I'm saying.

Blazingblue

Banned
After playing the Episode Duscae I have to say that the game was alot better than what I thought it was going to be! I am really hyped for it now!

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
I remember hating on XII. I disapproved the Gambit System; when I saw I didn't have fully control of all three party members at the sametime. I felt really bummed. I play along with it though and brutally forced my way to finish the storyline without relying much on the system. I had to use gambit maps to play out the AIs when it came to finding the all of the Espers and defeating everything hunt there was including Yiazmat. In the end, I enjoyed it thoroughly just NOT the Gambit System.

FFXIII was waaayy out of hand though.

So the moral of my story is. I'm a fan and no matter what they throw at me. I'll take it and enjoy it. My only expectations would be having a long full story and an adventurous control of the game.

Larxene012

Banned
My disappointment in Final Fantasy XV comes more in the fact that we only control Noctis. it would've been great to switch between, but they claim its impossible to do. I dont know what to say since we're getting FF7 aswell and that one will mandate controlling all of them, even if its not 100% in real time.

My other disappointments come in losing Stella who seemed to be a stronger character retconned into a completely different character (they should've given her a stronger design at least). TO me, there was no reason behind that. i hope they explain themselves in detail when the ultimania comes out.

As another note the game being mostly by car. Or will be enjoyable by car, yes we got Duscae to confirm we will have one scene without a car, but doesn't change the fact the majority of the game will be by car. It will feel like FF13, going form point a to point b.

A game designed around a car is bad. and i really want to have areas where we can go without a car or we have to leave the car behind.

TheOtherPromise

As another note the game being mostly by car. Or will be enjoyable by car, yes we got Duscae to confirm we will have one scene without a car, but doesn't change the fact the majority of the game will be by car. It will feel like FF13, going form point a to point b.

A game designed around a car is bad. and i really want to have areas where we can go without a car or we have to leave the car behind.
I don't really get why people are upset about the car. I'm sure the car is just transportation to and from points of interest on the map. Then at those points of interest you'd probably get out of the car, explore the area and camp (like what the demo let us do). In Final Fantasy X, they had an airship that did the exact same thing.
Final Fantasy XV is supposed to be huge so I'm sure the car is necessary to get from one side of the map to the other in a short period of time.

Larxene012

Banned
I don't really get why people are upset about the car. I'm sure the car is just transportation to and from points of interest on the map. Then at those points of interest you'd probably get out of the car, explore the area and camp (like what the demo let us do). In Final Fantasy X, they had an airship that did the exact same thing.
Final Fantasy XV is supposed to be huge so I'm sure the car is necessary to get from one side of the map to the other in a short period of time.

But we want verything in-between. thats the problem. I personally don't want fast-traveling. And this also speaks volumes about whats in the land of FFXV. Are those empty spaces vast, and just a few land marks? or we will have areas to explore?

If you follow FFXV, the car is there to make travel faster, we will be driving the car from point a to point b in real time and there will apaprently be auto-drive aswell.

It would be best if the obstacles weren't attach to the side of the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back