• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Final Fantasy XIV

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Max

Staff member
Awards
  • Curiouser and Curiouser
  • Taciturn Stalwart
  • Whirlwind Lancer
  • Ever Gentle and Kind
  • The Freeshooter
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue
Ayyyy I’m on Mateus, too lol
Hell yeah, we should party up sometime!

Also, wasn't sure if anyone here still played FF11? I just started it this week and I'm having a blast; it's a totally different beast than 14.

Max

Staff member
Awards
  • Taciturn Stalwart
  • Whirlwind Lancer
  • Ever Gentle and Kind
  • The Freeshooter
I don't anymore with FF11, tho if you're on my old server (Quetz) i can point you at someone who does.

And yes, it's a different beast than 14. ^^
I'm on Asura, but I appreciate the gesture!

Zul

Awards
  • Nothing's Like Before
  • Old Timer
  • Awakening
So many people from here are on Mateus, all the people I know from WrA on WoW are on Mateus....maybe I should switch to Mateus (I'm on Coeurl)

Or maybe we should make a KHI linkshell.

Last edited:

Max

Staff member
Awards
  • Taciturn Stalwart
  • Whirlwind Lancer
  • Ever Gentle and Kind
  • The Freeshooter
So I'm having a lot of fun with FF11, man, I get why people loved that game so much.

Also, I'm only 200 fates away from finally having the platinum trophy of FF14!

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
  • Cheeeeese!
  • Awakening
  • Happy Holidays!
  • Kingdom Hearts III
  • Put That Thing Back Where It Came From
  • Nothing's Like Before
Okay. I mentioned this in the gamertag thread, but thought I'd announce it here.

I've started a cross server LS, CTYInternational. I'd like to see more folks on it. If you're on the Primal data center/cluster, come over to Excal for a bits to get a invite! The only real rule is Be Nice, and if you got friends who are willing to obey that rule, tell me and get them over! Most of the ones who can give invites right now are Excal folks on purpose though. ^^ They're from my FC.

Oh and I"m usually on around 7PM-Midnight EST (If you don't see me on right now if you're looking right now, don't panic; I was having some RAWRYOUSTUPIDPC issues + sister aggro. Should be over with shortly soon as I finish redling the updates for KHUX on the emulator I use. And btw, for those that dun know about the incident; this was on Dec 19th. ^^)

If they EVER break down the barriers between server clusters/data centers, maybe I can extend it to that. ^^

Last edited:

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX
  • You've Got A Friend In Me
  • Cheeeeese!
  • Awakening
  • Nothing's Like Before
Ok, I'm properly hopping into this with a new character and playing Conjurer at the moment. Coeurl server, still pretty early in (about level 20ish or so) I've played through the main story before but I haven't done as much as I should have and I needed the refresh before heading into the expansions.

bambii

Awards
  • Awakening
  • Cheeeeese!
  • Longest Night
New player on Jenova here (NIN lvl 28). So far enjoying the game but it's been a completely solo experience, as I don't know a single other person, which is challenging because the learning curve is steep and I still don't know what I'm doing half the time 😅. Anyone here on Aether who'd be open to connecting or have any suggestions for a new player looking to make a few online friends?

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
  • Mog Boss
  • World of Final Fantasy
  • Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy
  • Bravely Default
  • Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call
  • Final Fantasy Type-0
New player on Jenova here (NIN lvl 28). So far enjoying the game but it's been a completely solo experience, as I don't know a single other person, which is challenging because the learning curve is steep and I still don't know what I'm doing half the time 😅. Anyone here on Aether who'd be open to connecting or have any suggestions for a new player looking to make a few online friends?
Sadly, we're not on the same data centre - but there are a lot of good videos on YouTube telling you about things you might have missed (although be careful about spoilers). There are some good ones for basic rotations as well.

But a few tips from me:
- As soon as you unlock you Chocobo, prioritise its Healer role skill tree! Always have it summoned when you're doing FATEs, marks and your hunting log!
- Do the daily roulettes for sweet EXP (you can do each roulette once a day for a bonus) and to get more familiar with how the dungeons work. Take note of various mechanics. If you haven't done the Hall of the Novice training stuff, do that as well. You definitely need to know how stack markers and such work.
- Do your job quests as they become available to get the latest abilities, and also keep your gear fairly up to date (which since you'll be running dungeon roulette will not be that difficult, as whenever you run the dungeons closest to your current level there will be a ton of gear drops that you can roll need on). At level 50 and 60 there will be some pretty OP gear available to buy for Tomestones that you get from roulettes that will last you well through Heavensward and Stormblood respectively without ever really having to upgrade for MSQ content.
- You can change the way your inventory looks among many other things - check the settings! There's a ton of neat QoL features available. Also get two free retainers while you're at it.
- Once you have enrolled in a Grand Company: You can recruit AI companions for your Squadron, which you can then level up and run dungeons with if you ever need to practice something! They can also do missions for you that will give you some nice rewards. Old gear that sells for mere pennies and unique gear that cannot be sold via the Market Board can be traded in for company seals at your Grand Company, which you can then use to buy things like Ventures for your retainers to go fetch cool stuff for you, among other things.

Are you on the Free Trial?

bambii

Awards
  • Awakening
  • Cheeeeese!
  • Longest Night
Sadly, we're not on the same data centre - but there are a lot of good videos on YouTube telling you about things you might have missed (although be careful about spoilers). There are some good ones for basic rotations as well.

But a few tips from me:
- As soon as you unlock you Chocobo, prioritise its Healer role skill tree! Always have it summoned when you're doing FATEs, marks and your hunting log!
- Do the daily roulettes for sweet EXP (you can do each roulette once a day for a bonus) and to get more familiar with how the dungeons work. Take note of various mechanics. If you haven't done the Hall of the Novice training stuff, do that as well. You definitely need to know how stack markers and such work.
- Do your job quests as they become available to get the latest abilities, and also keep your gear fairly up to date (which since you'll be running dungeon roulette will not be that difficult, as whenever you run the dungeons closest to your current level there will be a ton of gear drops that you can roll need on). At level 50 and 60 there will be some pretty OP gear available to buy for Tomestones that you get from roulettes that will last you well through Heavensward and Stormblood respectively without ever really having to upgrade for MSQ content.
- You can change the way your inventory looks among many other things - check the settings! There's a ton of neat QoL features available. Also get two free retainers while you're at it.
- Once you have enrolled in a Grand Company: You can recruit AI companions for your Squadron, which you can then level up and run dungeons with if you ever need to practice something! They can also do missions for you that will give you some nice rewards. Old gear that sells for mere pennies and unique gear that cannot be sold via the Market Board can be traded in for company seals at your Grand Company, which you can then use to buy things like Ventures for your retainers to go fetch cool stuff for you, among other things.

Are you on the Free Trial?
Thanks for the tips, these are really helpful! I am on the Free Trial, yes. Was planning to get past Heavensward before starting to pay, though I wonder whether it’s worth it to subscribe earlier to bypass the 300k Gil cap and the FC restrictions. The problem is a) I’m genuinely not sure what is worth spending Gil on and what I should be saving for (since most of my gear rn is coming from MSQ), and b) I don’t really understand the perks of joining an FC, let alone how I would go about finding/joining one in the first place.

I’m also a little overwhelmed by the prospect of glamour; I definitely want to experiment, but don’t even know where to begin, and am afraid to start hemorrhaging Gil on crap that will be obsolete a few levels down the line. In your experience, at what point does it make sense to be thinking about glamour? Or is this really meant to just be end-game?

Also, is there any general etiquette I should adhere to as a DPS in dungeons? I’ve learned a few things from guides online, like letting people know I’m new, not rushing enemies before the tank, etc. but I often worry I’m holding others back, or that I’m just sprinting to catch up with the party because they’re trying to rush through content they’re familiar with lol. I especially wonder about watching cutscenes in dungeons - how does this work for the party members who skip the cutscenes? Are they able to start a boss fight before the whole party has finished their respective cutscenes?

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
  • Mog Boss
  • World of Final Fantasy
  • Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy
  • Bravely Default
  • Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call
  • Final Fantasy Type-0
Thanks for the tips, these are really helpful!
I'd recommend sticking with the Free Trial until you've beaten Heavensward and its post-game patches, and tried out all of the jobs. Being able to grind nearly all of them up to level 60 for free is amazing and you should take advantage of it for the jobs that appeal to you.

Glamour is honestly nothing you should worry too much about at this point. But I think some of the nicest looking gear you can get around level 50 and 60 respectively is the stuff that drops from the raids (mainly the 24 player ones). At the end of the day, it's all just superficial. Although it might be a bit hard to come by glamour prisms during the Free Trial. There is a glamour dresser which you can access at any inn. In it you get to put glamours from events and job quests for free, which you can then use to create some templates with, and this won't cost you any prisms. The level 50 job gear is honestly quite nice looking!

The game will actually inform the other players if one or more members of your party is new to a dungeon or trial, but it doesn't hurt to be social! Pulling aggro off the Tank is definitely the biggest taboo. It's one thing to pull something by accident, in which case you should run towards and not away from the Tank. But generally speaking there is a "you pull, you tank" mentality which means that any DPS (or even Healer) that decides to run ahead and pull mobs will be left to deal with them on their own. The Tank and Healer are kind of expected to be the parents of any party. They communicate and decide when and how much to pull based on how experienced they are, and the DPS is just the muscle. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do your best, but you are not the leader, or even second in command.

Cutscenes before boss fights get shorter and shorter the further into the game you get. With the exception of the final two dungeons in A Realm Reborn, which are just poorly designed but you don't have to worry about that since watching those cutscenes are mandatory. They usually just last for 15-20 seconds although it can feel like ages when you see the message about how the boss arena will be locked off popping up! Don't worry about that though. If you are not in the boss arena after the cutscene ends, you will be given the option to teleport there.

In my experience, people who start the battle while you're watching a cutscene do so because they are confident that they can manage without you for that duration (it's a bit like when someone gets booted or disconnected from a dungeon, often times there's at least one or two people in the party who are comfortable with pushing ahead while waiting for the fourth slot to be filled again). So feel free to watch those cutscenes! If someone gets mad at you for not rushing through the dungeon for their convenience they are honestly being rude. There is an option to skip any previously watched cutscenes in dungeons, which I suggest you activate for future runs.

bambii

Awards
  • Awakening
  • Cheeeeese!
  • Longest Night
I'd recommend sticking with the Free Trial until you've beaten Heavensward and its post-game patches, and tried out all of the jobs.
All very helpful - thanks again. I got myself to lvl 37 and feel like it's starting to take off now. Finding most people in dungeons are kind/helpful. I've got a long road ahead I suppose! I do want to try out Astrologian and Dark Knight at some point but I imagine transitioning to a different role will require some brain re-wiring lol