• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age - July 11th 2017

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Just defeated the first Demon Wall only to find out the new version doesn't give you the Demonsbane Sword... :/

I preferred the way the license system worked originally, but this isn't so bad, I guess. It's too bad there's no option to play the way the original FFXII worked though.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Announced for Steam. With 60 fps.

Square Enix, you better release a 60 fps patch for PS4 now. No excuse not to. This is really annoying. Why do we even bother supporting your products on day one, I ask?

Elysium

Awards
Well, I'm at the Phon Coast now. I've already finished my license boards... Everyone's close to lvl. 50. I'm thinking about getting a few more of the optional Espers before heading on to Archades. (I got the one in Henne Mines already, I forget what the name was.) I'm debating whether to try the Caverns right now. My memories of that area is vague (I remember Catoblepas via the Ozmone Plains entrance though) from the last time I played FFXII, which was about 4-5 years ago.

My combos are Penelo (W.Mage/Machinist), Ashe (W.Mage/Shikari), Basch (Knight/Bushi), Fran (B.Mage/Monk), Balthier (Red Battlemage/B. Mage), Vaan (Archer/Uhlan).

I still love this game after all this time. I still think they could've done a better job with Ashe though. Something about her design has always irked me (the weird skirt thing...?). I'd almost prefer the character if she was older, like 40-60. I remember reading so many complaints about Vaan, but I've always liked him. Well, I don't really dislike any of FF's protagonists? The Mt. Bur-Omisace part of the plot reminds me of FFIX Cleyra. You enter, everyone talks about how everyone is safe here safest place there is SAFE SAFE SAFE, only for the place to be slaughtered.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Vaan is a good character. Most of the flack he gets is due to him being the poster boy and "main" playable character despite not being the main character of the actual plot.

Elysium

Awards
Storywise, I've just ended up at Bolfenheim Port. I know I could finish the story easily, I've just been doing a lot of side quests. I went through the Zertinan Caverns, Nabreus Deadlands/Necrohol of Nabudis, got Chaos and 7 other Espers, did the Nalbina hunts, etc. I fought Gilgamesh the first time, but not the 2nd time. I'm wondering if I should wait or go ahead and try the second fight. I'm going to start the Hunt Club sidequest, but I'm trying to make sure I know which person I should give the trophies to before I screw it up.

This game feels so different from the last time I played. That playthrough went so slowly and I felt overwhelmed by how huge XII's world was even though I liked the story/characters. I guess having played it before, I'm not as hesitant about fighting bonus bosses/exploring these other areas.

Question though--I thought the Zodiac Spear was in the Necrohol of Nabudis, but I didn't find anything? I'm pretty sure I didn't open any of the chests that make it disappear, but they might've changed which ones those are for TZA. Any advice on which Hunt rewards are best to go for? And how important is Wither to the hardest bosses versus Stamp (trying to decide which character to assign Cuchelainn to)?

Last edited:

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Question though--I thought the Zodiac Spear was in the Necrohol of Nabudis, but I didn't find anything? I'm pretty sure I didn't open any of the chests that make it disappear, but they might've changed which ones those are for TZA. Any advice on which Hunt rewards are best to go for?

The "don't open chest XY" system was taken out of the Zodiac versions of the game.
Zodias Spear is not in Nabudis anymore (however, you get some good spells there now), but in the Henne Mines, with a slim chance of the chest spawning (but if it does, it's always the Zodiac Spear) right here:
ff12_zodiac_age_zodiac_spear_location.jpg

However, the Zodiac Spear is hardly the best weapon in the game anymore, so I'm not sure if it's really worth your time.

As for the Hunt Club, you can't "screw it up", since each and every of the available items can be found somewhere else in the game. You can also get a Zodiac Spear here as well.
A little down here is a table of what gets you what.
Personally, I like to get the Genji Gloves, but it's really up to you.

BlueTearS-

Played it back in the day on PS2 and it was a good game. I expected much more from the story and characters, and the gambit system introduced a completely new mechanincs to the series, but it remained far behind older titles such FFIX or FFX. Nevertheless Iooking forward to play it once again on PS4.

Awards
Is anybody gonna get the Switch or Xbox version? I really hope they update the PS4 version with those new features.

Btw.. I found a copy of Revenant Wings at Gamestop today. I started playing it, but it’s kinda hard to get used to. The gameplay is really slow.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Is anybody gonna get the Switch or Xbox version? I really hope they update the PS4 version with those new features.

Btw.. I found a copy of Revenant Wings at Gamestop today. I started playing it, but it’s kinda hard to get used to. The gameplay is really slow.

I'm not getting it but I definitely hope they'll patch this into the PS4-version. It'd kinda be a bad joke if they didn't.

Revenant Wings starts out super slow, but I really started liking the gameplay a while in, because there's also more enemies later and more to keep an eye on.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I plan on gettin' the Switch version. And I love Revenant Wings! :D Like Void said: it starts slow, but it gets reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal good as you keep goin'! :D

Fun fact: the game was originally gonna be its own thing, but they then decided to make it FFXII centered. Though I can't remember if they had also intended to have it take place in the world of Ivalice.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Can someone please tell me if the auto-level up trick is still in the PS4 version? Conversely, is it easier to level up in the PS4 version than the PS2 version? I remember it used to take FOREVER to grind and level up in the PS2 version.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Can someone please tell me if the auto-level up trick is still in the PS4 version? Conversely, is it easier to level up in the PS4 version than the PS2 version? I remember it used to take FOREVER to grind and level up in the PS2 version.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what the "auto-level up trick" is.
However, due to the availability of x4-speed, I'd say it's not "easier" but definitely less time-consuming to level up in the PS4 version. The only important thing is to balance your characters in a way that they can actually defeat enemies efficiently, which is a bit "trickier" due to the limited license boards.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Unfortunately, I have no idea what the "auto-level up trick" is.
However, due to the availability of x4-speed, I'd say it's not "easier" but definitely less time-consuming to level up in the PS4 version. The only important thing is to balance your characters in a way that they can actually defeat enemies efficiently, which is a bit "trickier" due to the limited license boards.
The trick was going to the Stilshrine of Miriam (spelling?) and fighting a certain enemy in the dungeon. Because it spawned infinite enemies, if you put the gambits a certain way, you could leave your team fighting the enemies all day and night until they reached level 99. I came across that back in the day when I got fed up grinding in the PS2 version because I kept dying to a boss (who I THOUGHT I had to beat to get to the next level, but I was wrong lol). Because I got pissed that I wasn't leveling up fast enough, I thought I was doing something wrong, then when I was looking for guides to level up faster I came across that trick.

Anyway, thanks for the info. If it's less time consuming to level up, then I probably won't need to do the auto-level up trick.

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
The trick was going to the Stilshrine of Miriam (spelling?) and fighting a certain enemy in the dungeon. Because it spawned infinite enemies, if you put the gambits a certain way, you could leave your team fighting the enemies all day and night until they reached level 99. I came across that back in the day when I got fed up grinding in the PS2 version because I kept dying to a boss (who I THOUGHT I had to beat to get to the next level, but I was wrong lol). Because I got pissed that I wasn't leveling up fast enough, I thought I was doing something wrong, then when I was looking for guides to level up faster I came across that trick.

Anyway, thanks for the info. If it's less time consuming to level up, then I probably won't need to do the auto-level up trick.
Was this boss the one you encounter near Fran's village? Because this is the same place I ragequitted, LOL.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Was this boss the one you encounter near Fran's village? Because this is the same place I ragequitted, LOL.
I think it was in the forest near the village or on the way to the village LOL! It might have been. I think it was like a fire bomb thing. I thought I had to beat it to continue, but then I ran around desperately and found a way out eventually.

Awards

It still takes awhile to level up, yes. But the trick is still possible, however you need at least one Time Mage who knows Break to do it.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards

Man I remember that one being a pain the first time I played. Like, maaaan, I got through the game underleveled no problem, and I also never switched armor (except for weapons), so that thing annihilated me.
It's cool that you can avoid it though, imo.

I think it was in the forest near the village or on the way to the village LOL! It might have been. I think it was like a fire bomb thing. I thought I had to beat it to continue, but then I ran around desperately and found a way out eventually.

Oh dang, the bomber. That's also an annoying one with it's miny bombs.

Either way, like breaktheice said, you're gonna want a character with Break for the Stillshrein-thing, although you're probably gonna want a Time Mage anyway for Hastega, for example.
As for leveling at that point in the game, I found it useful to move on until the Tchita Highlands and fight the many Morbols there, or go even further into the Cerobi Steppe, and get some good levels there.
It still takes time, but with extra speed, it's really bearable, imo. And for later points in the game, there are far better places for leveling up!

Awards
Man I remember that one being a pain the first time I played. Like, maaaan, I got through the game underleveled no problem, and I also never switched armor (except for weapons), so that thing annihilated me.
It's cool that you can avoid it though, imo.

Oh dang, the bomber. That's also an annoying one with it's miny bombs.

Either way, like breaktheice said, you're gonna want a character with Break for the Stillshrein-thing, although you're probably gonna want a Time Mage anyway for Hastega, for example.
As for leveling at that point in the game, I found it useful to move on until the Tchita Highlands and fight the many Morbols there, or go even further into the Cerobi Steppe, and get some good levels there.
It still takes time, but with extra speed, it's really bearable, imo. And for later points in the game, there are far better places for leveling up!

The trick I was talking about is the one in Henne Mines/Pithead Junction A. You spawn an infinite number of Jellys after pushing the switch if you kill them all with Break with your Time Mage. You need to remove everyone’s weapons and equip them with armor or an accessory that grants permanent Reflect to avoid the Jellys’ status inflicting spells, then change all of their Gambits to Steal (if possible, if not, just Attack). The Time Mage’s Gambits need to be set as Break, Charge, Steal/Attack in that order. If you’re already at a high enough level, the Jellys shouldn’t do any physical damage to you, but equip a shield if you can just to be safe. Also, if the character doesn’t have Steal, it’s okay to Attack. It won’t damage the Jellys either as long as a weapon isn’t equipped.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
The trick I was talking about is the one in Henne Mines/Pithead Junction A. You spawn an infinite number of Jellys after pushing the switch if you kill them all with Break with your Time Mage. You need to remove everyone’s weapons and equip them with armor or an accessory that grants permanent Reflect to avoid the Jellys’ status inflicting spells, then change all of their Gambits to Steal (if possible, if not, just Attack). The Time Mage’s Gambits need to be set as Break, Charge, Steal/Attack in that order. If you’re already at a high enough level, the Jellys shouldn’t do any physical damage to you, but equip a shield if you can just to be safe. Also, if the character doesn’t have Steal, it’s okay to Attack. It won’t damage the Jellys either as long as a weapon isn’t equipped.

Oh, right. It's for that one.
Personally not a preferred method, but luckily there's many.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
On the heels of III's out if nowhere update, the Steam/PS4 versions of XII have been updated with Switch/XB1's new features.

Back