• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► Final Fantasy VII: Zerith: Misery

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

HeartOfTheHero

It's been so long since I've posted anything here!! I can't believe it, haha. Anyways, this is a one-shot, the pairing is Zack/Aerith from Final Fantasy VII, and this is set during Crisis Core. The song is "Misery" by Maroon 5. Feedback is appreciated :)

Oh yeah, oh yeah
So scared of breaking it
But you won't let it bend
And I wrote two hundred letters
I will never send

Aerith had watched him walk out of the church with the paper folded carefully in his hand. Twenty-three wishes, that's what she had told him was written there, but that wasn't true. She had summarized her wishes, combined them all into one. Was it too much to hope that he would read that note, then turn around and come back to her?

Apparently it was. But that was all right; she knew that he was busy, and that he had a mission. He would be back soon, then she would have her wish. She sighed and knelt down in the flowers again.

That had been a year ago. Aerith sat in the church, paper and pen haphazardly thrown in front of her.Tears stained the front of her dress and blurred the words so carefully printed on the pages. When she saw the ink smears and smudges, she sighed and crumpled the paper. Yet another letter that she would never send him.

Sometimes these cuts are so much deeper than they seem
You'd rather cover up
I'd rather let them bleed

Zack laid on the reactor steps in Nibelheim, fading in and out of consciousness. Sephiroth was dead and Nibelheim had been burned to the ground. Just another day in the life of SOLDIER. He opened his eyes just enough to see the young man sprawled beside him, with a bloody wound from Masamune. So many lives tainted by the corruption that was Shinra. Zack made a promise to himself: when he returned to Midgar he was done with Shinra, forever. He fought to stay conscious at the sound of approaching footsteps, but it all faded to black.

"This is a blight on the name of Shinra..."

"...must be kept secret..."

"... experiments... specimens...."

Zack's eyes opened slowly. He tried to make sense of where he was, but it was too difficult to see through the murky greenish water. When he tried to move he just felt heavy. A blur of white, then that nasally, screeching voice. No ... no no no no no! Anything but this, he started to struggle, but he couldn't feel his body anymore. It was all slipping away to black once again.

Aerith....

So let me be,
And I'll set you free

~~~~~

I am in misery
There ain't nobody who can comfort me
(Oh yeah)

Every time Zack was able to fight his way back to consciousness, convinced that this was just some horrible nightmare, Hojo was there to tell him otherwise. Of course, he never addressed him directly, only as the "specimen,” and only when making notes on the experiment. Zack could feel his sanity slipping away from him, a little more each time he opened his eyes.

Then he started seeing things. The first time it was his parents, smiling down at him the way they had when he was much younger. When he tried to reached out to them, their kind smiles melted away into Hojo's cold sneer. The next time, it was the SOLDIER who had recruited him, giving an encouraging word of advice, which quickly turned to the scientific jargon and ramblings of the mad scientist. His friends, his family, even strangers that he had only ever glimpsed on the street, they all came to see him and give him some form of comfort, only to disappear into the far corners of his mind, chased away by a very real nightmare. Everyone was there, except the one person he wanted to see most.

By the time Angeal appeared, Zack's spirit had been broken. He couldn't bring himself to even try to respond to Angeal's words.

When he woke up, the glass test tube shattered in pieces around him, a spark of hope began to form.

Why won't you answer me?
The silence is slowly killing me

Four years. Four long and painful years, and not a word. Aerith knelt in the flower bed, hands clasped in silent prayer. She knew that Tseng was somewhere nearby watching her, observing her every action. She didn't care, at least, not today.

Today ... today something was different. She could feel a glimmer of hope begin to form. Zack ... where are you?

It had been so long, and she had waited, not regretting any of the time she had spent, but still. Everyday she had expected him to come through the door, pull her into a hug, and tell her how sorry he was for leaving her alone for so long. He never did. So she couldn't help but wonder if the feeling, the slight kindling of hope, was just her wishful thinking.

She stood slowly and stretched. The Angeal-Griffon watched her silently from the rafters, the same way it had everyday since Zack had left. Pulling an envelope from her dress pocket, she looked up at the Griffon. It cocked its head and hopped down, cautiously approaching her like a stray dog.

"This is the last one," she whispered as she held the letter out to it. "The 89th letter. Please, I need to know that this gets to him. Will you take it?"

The Griffon gently took the letter from her outstretched hand, then flew off with a quick beat of its wings.

Aerith closed her eyes to stop the tears from starting, but didn’t quite manage to keep one from slipping beneath her dark lashes.

Girl you really go me bad
You really got me bad
I'm gonna get you back
Gonna get you back

Zack laid under the stars, miles away from Nibelheim. Cloud was beside him, in a Mako induced coma. Shinra would be coming for them, he knew that. They would have to be quick, thinking one step ahead if they wanted to stay alive. No blight on the Company's record was ever left alone for long. They would be captured and returned to the test tubes, and if they put up a fight, well, bullets were cheap and infantrymen a dime-a-dozen. There would be a battle, and Zack didn't plan to go down without a fight.

He knew that this was what waited for them if he insisted on returning to Midgar. He knew that there was no life for him in the city. He knew that there would be people waiting for him to make a stupid mistake like that.

But he was going back, no matter what was waiting for him. Because he was going back for her.

Your salty skin and how
It mixes in with mine
The way it feels to be
Completely intertwined

Zack sat up with a jolt. He could taste the tangy salt air as he gasped, trying to bring his breathing back to normal. What had started as a pleasant dream had transformed into a nightmare that left him shivering. One moment he had been with Aerith, the next she had been ripped away, replaced by Hojo's lab in the Manor.

He threw himself back on the sand with a thud. Cloud was a few feet away, still in a stupor. Zack considered talking to him, but pushed the thought away. What he really wanted was to be alone. Closing his eyes, a picture of Aerith came to him, the way she had looked that last time he saw here. Alright, he thought, maybe I don't want to be alone.

Not that I didn't care
It's that I didn't know
It's not what I didn't feel
It's what I didn't show

Aerith sat quietly at her kitchen table, the blank pages spread before her. It had been so long since she'd last seen him. Had he moved on without her? No, no he wouldn't have done that without telling her.

She grabbed a pen and leaned over one of the pages, then stopped. No, I told him that the 89th was the last one ... oh Zack, where are you? Carefully, she laid the pen back down and got up from the table.

I'm so sorry Zack, but I need to move on. Mom doesn't like seeing me mope around like this ... and I can't take this heartbreak any longer. But please know this - I will always love you.

So let me be,
And I'll set you free

~~~~~

I am in misery
There ain't nobody who can comfort me
(Oh yeah)
Why woun't you answer me?

~~~~~

Girl you really got me bad
You really got me bad
I'm gonna get you back
I'm gonna get you back

Zack held the letter in a death grip, staring wide-eyed.

"Four years...?" he felt like he'd been stabbed through the heart. Those two words kept repeating in his mind, over and over. How could it have possibly been that long?

Then his gaze fell further down the page. Throwing his head back, he screamed at the sky, "What do you mean, FINAL??!"

He looked over at Cloud, lying listlessly on the ground. The remains of Banora spread before them, and the Angeal-Griffon was collapsed by the tree. His whole life, every last scrap of hope he had left, had just crumbled.

I have to get back to her .... have to explain ...

"Aerith ... just wait for me a little longer ... okay?" his plea echoed across the ruined town.

Say your faith is shaken
You may be mistaken
You keep me wide awake and
Waiting for the sun

Aerith sat cross-legged on the floor of the church in one of the patches of sunlight. She stared up at the hole in the ceiling and thought about his promise to her. He was going to take her above the plate, take her to see the sky. Some days, she could almost see it as she sat there, but the plate always blocked it out. It was still a mystery to her how the sunlight found its way down to the flowers.

The light had faded and a soft twilight descended before Aerith stood and left the church. She didn't want to go home just yet, and she knew that she wouldn't be able to sleep tonight, so she decided to head for the park. It was empty at this time of night, but she didn't mind. All she wanted was to sit and remember his sunny smile. And wonder if she would ever be able to see it again.

I'm desperate and confused
So far away from you
I"m getting there
I don't care where I have to go.

Shinra was still hunting them. It didn't matter what they did, or what they said. No one cared that he just wanted out. They didn't believe that he would just disappear on his own. They were going to make him disappear.

Zack didn't understand why it was so important that they be recaptured, but he had a feeling that if he was going to get back to Aerith he was going to have to fight tooth and nail to get to her. He would gladly circle the planet a dozen times if that's what it took.

He'd been kept away for four years; nothing was getting in his way now.

Why do you do what you do to me, yeah

Zack ruffled Cloud's hair affectionately after setting him down behind some rocks. The army had finally caught up with them, just outside of Midgar. So close, but not close enough. He stood and turned away. You'll be safe here, Cloud, Zack thought as he walked off. I'll just be a minute …

Why won't you answer me, answer me, yeah

Aerith snuck down the stairs, trying not to make a sound. She had told her mother that she would stay home today, but for some reason she knew that home was not the place to be. The church was her sanctuary, and she sensed that she would be needing a sanctuary today.

Why do you do what you do to me, yeah

After half of the army had fallen to Zack and the Buster sword, he wondered how much longer he could last. They just keep coming ... why won't the quit? Another three fell when he used a Thunder materia. The adrenaline was starting to wear off, and he was faltering. Then ... her voice, her face, the feel of her soft hair as he tied the red bow into it, so very long ago. He let loose an animalistic yell and charged into the fray again.

Why won’t you answer me, answer me, yeah

The flowers bent and twisted around her as Aerith knelt among them. She could feel dozens, no, hundreds of souls returning to the planet. None of them was anyone that she knew, but this was related to her feeling of foreboding, she was sure of it. She silently begged the planet to, just this once, tell her exactly what was happening. No answer came.

I am in misery
There ain’t nobody who can comfort me
(Oh yeah)

The army was retreating, leaving their wounded and dead lying scattered across the field. Zack barely registered their departure as he stumbled up a narrow path in the cliffs. Once he reached the top he collapsed and looked off into the distance. Shimmering like a mirage before him, Midgar laughed at his failed attempt to reach her.

Why won’t you answer me
(Oh yeah)

The rain came suddenly, without warning. Aerith looked up as the big drops fell softly through the holes in the ceiling. She could feel so many emotions, and she was confused for a moment until she realized where they were coming from. The rain carried them in. Anger, regret, loss, but most of all … sorrow. It felt like the planet was apologizing to her, and she wondered why. She hadn’t sensed anymore lives lost for a while, and even when she had they hadn’t been anyone that she knew. What is it? she begged. Please just tell me. No answer, just more sorrow.

Then….

She turned her face upwards sharply with a gasp. No…

Girl you really got me bad
You really got me bad
I’m gonna get you back
Gonna get you back

Nutari

The Scotsman
Awards
I love this :D One of my favorite parts of crisis core retold in a fine way! props :)

oh and it seems you like to write fan fiction right? well i just have happened to create a site that needs members and you have good writing skills. Im sure that your stuff will be read more on a less crowded site. Its only a suggestion. but if youre interested heres the link

www.shortstoriescollection.webs.com

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
This was amazing <3 almost started crying cause it's so beautiful yet sad that Zack didn't make it back to her. You did a wonderful job writing it too. I think I'm gonna go replay Crisis Core now, to see it all over again.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Me too.

I wonder if she will do the ending of FFX or X-2 cause those were awesome endings too. XD

HeartOfTheHero

Thank you both! Every time I write one of these it makes me feel like playing Crisis Core again, so I consider this story a success, since you feel the same way, haha.
I haven't played FFX or X-2, but X is on my to-do list. I actually have another Zack/Aerith one-shot that I'll probably put up in a few days. I'm doing these as a series over on fanfiction.net.
aldrain, I'll check out that site sometime soon, thanks for letting me know about it :)

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Your welcome. Your writing is amazing and it does make me want to play Crisis Core and see that sad ending all over again.

Thanks for letting us know that your also doing the chapters on fanfiction.net. I'll keep a look out for them too XD

Cool so X is on your to do list! You'll do an amazing job I'm sure when you do write it XD

Kiwi +

Awards
As a big fan of Zerith, I find your story so heartwarming and sad at the same time. :*) Makes me feel like I've been playing CC all over again. Which I been wanting to do for awhile now.

Anyways, thanks for the read. Your writing, I like it very much. <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back