• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Final Fantasy VII Remake Megathread - Intergrade, Rebirth, Reunion and more

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Pandymint

Awards
Re: Final Fantasy VII REMAKE - "World of the Versus epic"

They've been reconsidering remaking it for years already. They considered remaking the game back when the PS2 came out due to the advancement in graphics. They've thought long and hard about this, and they're deciding now's the time. They're splitting it up only because they don't want to lose any content from the original, which is respectable. If they did it with say half the content either cut or condensed way down, then I would say it was probably just a cash grab.

Instead, they've said many times that they are doing a full remake, no corners cut. The fact that they're doing multiple entries instead of, say, releasing one multi-disc version in my personal opinion is because of cost and because this isn't the most important project they're working on.

But hey, everyone has their opinions.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Reason 1: nomura is an awful director/writer

It's not like they are changing the story much. Adding in newer elements that have been expanded on in the Compilation, taking out the old stuff that didn't make sense or work back then and won't work now.

And Nojima is writing so take that as you will.

Nomura may not be the best director, but almost every game he's shipped has been really fucking fun. This is why Kitase is producer. To make sure Nomura can deliver a good game worthy of the original's fame, and honestly Nomura has a high respect for FF7. I can't see how he'd fuck it up, and I can't imagine any other director behind the game.

Reason 2 is that I think breaking it up into multiple parts is just an excuse for them to makthe more money.

Considering how expensive developing games are, I don't think you can blame them. It's probably close to a good hundred million to make an AAA title with the size and scope everybody has been clamoring for. To offset costs, multi-part releases make sense in order to ensure each part is a quality product and so they can get a return on their investment. They are a business. This might be a passion project, but they still need money to continue operating.

I'm willing to bet that this is how the industry will move forward with gaming in the next 10 years. SE has always seemed like the fools but they almost always seem to be right on target with the trends.

It's not like a multi-part game release is anything new. Multiple games in the PS2 era were like this. On purpose.

FF7 was a huge game, with way more potential than SE could have made happen in 1997.

Reason 3 is if their reason was the real reason as to why it was split into multiple parts, then they really should've re considered remaking it.

They've wanted to do this for years. The world has wanted them to do this for years. No way would they reconsider this when there have been millions wanting this?

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards

I see everyone's points, and I hope I'm wrong. We'll wait and see.

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards

I'm willing to bet that this is how the industry will move forward with gaming in the next 10 years. SE has always seemed like the fools but they almost always seem to be right on target with the trends.

It's not like a multi-part game release is anything new. Multiple games in the PS2 era were like this. On purpose.

FF7 was a huge game, with way more potential than SE could have made happen in 1997.

I'm definitely excited about this new throwback, I missed out on those titles (I can't think of any beside .hack and Xenosaga though) but I'm hoping to check them out sometime.

I think the best part about doing this in installments means we can get the early parts even sooner than we would've the entire game at once.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards

Again, with CyberConnect2 working on this, all it takes for me is a look at the .hack series to see that they know how to handle a multi-release like this. While in the end you'd purchased 3 or 4 discs, each disc in itself was a full length RPG, and all of your progress (level, equipment, etc.) carried over from game to game. And there was even post game content to occupy yourself with a bit while you awaited the next entry.

This may not be exactly how they're handling this, but if it is then you know what, I'm okay with it. CC2 really knows their shit and I trust them fully in this field.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

I'm definitely excited about this new throwback, I missed out on those titles (I can't think of any beside .hack and Xenosaga though) but I'm hoping to check them out sometime.

SMT: Digital Devil Saga is well worth your time...although the second part has always been a rather divisive game among DDS fans.

I think the best part about doing this in installments means we can get the early parts even sooner than we would've the entire game at once.

This is probably the best part about all of this. None of us expected to be able to play FF7R until 2018 at the earliest and wishful thinking in 2017, but now there is an actual possibility we could see this game before the end of 2016. That is more than we could have ever imagined.

Vanitas666

I choose the Middle Path
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com

I don't know how long they've been working on it but I still don't think it will be out until at least 2017 and 2018 still sound rather likely if they are really going for a full game experience but we'll see.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

I don't know how long they've been working on it but I still don't think it will be out until at least 2017 and 2018 still sound rather likely if they are really going for a full game experience but we'll see.
I believe it's been going for about 18 months now.

Sdog

Awards

I believe it's been going for about 18 months now.

It was in development for about a year when it was announced at E3, no? If so a winter 2016 release could be possible but I won't stress if not.

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards

SMT: Digital Devil Saga is well worth your time...although the second part has always been a rather divisive game among DDS fans.

This is probably the best part about all of this. None of us expected to be able to play FF7R until 2018 at the earliest and wishful thinking in 2017, but now there is an actual possibility we could see this game before the end of 2016. That is more than we could have ever imagined.

Keep that in mind then.

And if that happened then 2016 will be God-tier level for gaming. I can't

Sdog

Awards

Keep that in mind then.

And if that happened then 2016 will be God-tier level for gaming. I can't

FFVIIR AND FFXV in one year?! Ten years of JRPG patience coming to a fangirl worthy culmination!

Pandymint

Awards

More like hear my wallet being murdered.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards

FFVIIR AND FFXV in one year?! Ten years of JRPG patience coming to a fangirl worthy culmination!
I can already hear the hellish screams of all the enraged tradionalist fanboys echoing from the future...

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards

More like hear my wallet being murdered.

This is completely accurate.

Although, I don't think we'll get 7 next year. I suspect we'll get KH3 Marchb2017, FF7 remake mid 2017 to late fall. It still has a ways left to go it seems.

Awards

Now you guys get to relive that dress scene...in HD!!!!!!

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

If I had to take a wild guess I'd assume that part one most likely includes the whole starting game in Midgar (including Wall Market, Train Graveyard, Shinra-HQ infiltration etc.) and possibly also the journey to Kalm with Clouds story from "five years ago" and the flashback with Sephy as a guest party member serving as the "finale" of part one.

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards

^That sounds good .
Hmm, some of the areas were small in the original game. I presume with now the huge leap in technology some the sizes of different areas will be bigger in the remake. I wonder how much it alone will add play time to the clock to navigate trough these bigger areas in the remake? Ooh, and imagine walking in top of the huge cannon in Junon.

Back