• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Final Fantasy VII - Is it ever going to come out? And what do you make of the episode structure

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

geosrl1

I was just wondering what peoples thoughts were on this. I myself find it a tad strange that they would announce something that is so far out with multiple delays obvious imminent and to then say a game that is loved for its engrossing story and characters is an episodic game release.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
There has been no delays though, because no dates have been announced. According to people in the know, they begun working on the remake about a year prior to its announcement. If you thought it was going to be released this year, with XV being just around the corner and quite possibly also an HD remaster of XII due to its 10th anniversary, then you don't know Square Enix.

As far as the content goes, it's not going to be episodic. People need to stop using that word. It carries the wrong connotations. If by episodes you mean like the Star Wars movies, then sure. But this is not going to be Final Fantasy VII: The Telltale Experience. The official term is "parts". It's been reported by reputable sources in Japan that the game is basically going to be this generations "Lightning trilogy", that VII being remade with modern technology and with new things added translates to the equivalent of 3-4 modern JRPG's in terms of content and hours of worth of gameplay.

It doesn't make any sense from a financial point of view for Square Enix to produce that much content and then charge just €60 for it when they could just have made a quarter of it for a new JRPG that would be sold at the same price. It also means they'll be able to get the game out sooner rather than later and that they will be able to actually make some profit from this massive project before it's finished. I mean, imagine if they didn't start making any money off the Lightning trilogy until after the release of Lightning Returns. That would have been disastrous.

geosrl1

I didn't mean episodic as in the telltale side of things. It doesn't make much sense to me as they stated that the game is too big to put in one game, but it is a remake? It is the same game, same characters, same story, same areas. How can they claim it is too big when its original, was the same vast game, just not revamped and remade in terms of spectacle. I feel it is a cop out and they just prematurely announced it and they know they need to rush to get it released. I also didn't think it was out this year as the original port came out this year I just mean in the future, it is bound to get delays. Fair arguments though!

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
It's not the same story, though. They are adding and altering things to fit with the lore they built in the Compilation as well as adding new things. Each part will be the size of a full-length game. Rather than condensing the game, they decided to expand it to give gamers a familiar yet completely new experience. I don't think that is something one should complain about although I understand where it comes from.

I don't know about you but FFVII is a really long game with a lot of locations. Trying to accurately recreate all of those locations in realistic HD quality is extremely time-consuming and expensive. Trying to tell the story of FFVII as a AAA game is completely different than what they did with VII back on the PlayStation because it costs more and requires more people to make the game.

There is a reason many AAA games don't have 30-40 hour story campaigns. There are reasons why AAA games with 30-40 hour games are lacking in certain areas. FFVII Remake is a multi-part game because they want to make a complete game package, because they need to see profit, because there aren't enough people in the world to make this game without it becoming a money sinkhole.

Xickin

Traitor of KHInsider.com
Awards
Website
nicholasdoyle6.wixsite.com
Oh good, from what I was told, it was going to be episodic (like it was with the original release (with 3 discs I mean)). Now I'm really excited! Also, I think the most appropriate release would be in 2017, 20 years after the original release.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
They're also adding to the locations. Midgar was a set number of rather small and linear pre-rendered backgrounds in the original. In this remake you will be able to visit areas previously not visited in the original (ie other sectors). Characters like Biggs, Wedge and Jessie will be fleshed out. And don't forget that they'll also have to add plenty of NPC's with AI. No one will be content with a bunch of people just standing in fixed places to deliver and repeat the same lines every time you talk to them in a modern game. This is a lot of work just by itself.

I think people take so many things for granted. Take the Temple of the Ancients for example. It's not going to look as primitive and "game-y" as it does in the original. It'll probably feel more like the final area of XIII-2. And that takes a lot of time to re-design.

I mean, no one should expect the remake to include areas that look like this:

2jfinmg.jpg

Puzzles like this will probably be replaced by something less... "game-y", since this would totally break the immersion if done exactly as is with modern graphics.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Oh good, from what I was told, it was going to be episodic (like it was with the original release (with 3 discs I mean)). Now I'm really excited! Also, I think the most appropriate release would be in 2017, 20 years after the original release.

It is episodic, but in that it is like the dothack games where they came out as individual full games but over the span of 1-2 years.

The original was one full package on 3 disks at the same time. Final Fantasy VII Remake will be multiple full games released over time.

Sdog

Awards
I wonder how they'll split the episodes up?

I'm betting a 3 part. Akin to the 3 discs and everything seems to come in trilogies these days. But a solid bet one part ends right after Aerith gets killed.

Last edited:

dlppictures

Awards
Website
dlppictures.blogspot.dk
As long as the three parts aren't split up exactly like the original, were disc 1 was longer than disc 2 and 3 combined. Also I would be disapointed to being able to predict when a part ends.

The fact that SE is adding to Midgar, which was already substantial in the original, makes me think the entire Midgar story would be released as the first part. I would prefer if the first part went all the way up to Junon, and possible the Jenova Birth battle, but that does sound like a very long episode.
A full game you could say, so crossing my fingers that is the case.

geosrl1

The three disc stuff is all good, but If they are adding and changing so many different things, isn't there a slight worry they will change too much. I understand that screenshot will be changed and upgraded for modern audiences, but is that really what you want? Will that destroy the nostalgic elements we all want. Is it true it is going to be a real time battle system as well? I actually don't care about graphics as I believe gameplay and story reigns supreme to the way it looks.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
I believe Nomura has said they're not going to make any big changes to the important stuff.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
The three disc stuff is all good, but If they are adding and changing so many different things, isn't there a slight worry they will change too much. I understand that screenshot will be changed and upgraded for modern audiences, but is that really what you want? Will that destroy the nostalgic elements we all want. Is it true it is going to be a real time battle system as well? I actually don't care about graphics as I believe gameplay and story reigns supreme to the way it looks.

Everything they are changing or adding will not be huge game changing stuff. I can imagine it adding more detail to characters that were just simple auxiliary characters to move the story (I.e. Scarlet and Heidegger) or like adding references to Crisis Core and adding the Turks from Before Crisis. Stuff like Honey Bee Inn would possibly be changed or the gym with the implied cross dressers. (That is an example of possible changes, not actual confirmed stuff)

Nothing big would be changed, is my point.

If you want to play the original, it is right there. The remake isn't about being 1:1 FFVII but something new that old and new fans can enjoy.

The combat is a mixed ATB + action system it seems. They haven't explained it yet.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
Yeah, I do want them to upgrade and change it quite a bit haha. I mean, I already think this gameplay looks more engaging, even though we don't have all the details. I don't mind turn based combat, but it can get sluggish at times and I appreciate the move to more active combat. So yeah, that and the graphics already are pluses.

And I mean you are right, gameplay and story are definitely more important, but yeah. I mean, we don't know what will get changed storywise but yeah other than adding references to newer games and expanding on characters, which sounds nothing but good, I'm not sure what to expect. The only other stuff I could see significantly changed are references or things that are no longer culturally relevant or maybe offensive? All I can think of is how Barret is definitely a bit of a racial caricature, at least from my recollection, so I know I would like that to be changed. Though they kind of made him look even more like Mr. T already so...we will see.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
I don't see how Barret being a racial caricature is offensive by itself, when the traits he's been given don't put him or black people in a bad light. Lots of characters are based on archetypes and stereotypes. Some of them are indeed offensive, but most of them are harmless - it's just that they're incredibly uninspired and one-dimensional.

Xickin

Traitor of KHInsider.com
Awards
Website
nicholasdoyle6.wixsite.com
They're definitely making Barret out to be more and more like Mr. T, but I don't think that's racial. I think they're just trying to have fun with character re-designing. He doesn't represent black people in a bad way or good way; he's just badass! I would, however, like to point out I like his voice actor from Advent Children better than what we've heard so far in the new trailer.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
They're definitely making Barret out to be more and more like Mr. T, but I don't think that's racial. I think they're just trying to have fun with character re-designing. He doesn't represent black people in a bad way or good way; he's just badass! I would, however, like to point out I like his voice actor from Advent Children better than what we've heard so far in the new trailer.

It's the same voice actor lol Beau Billingslea was given different voice direction for the trailer.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards
I do like Barret, to clarify. But yeah, maybe "offensive" isn't quite the right wording. The lazily uninspired one-dimensional part is definitely right...I suppose that personally angers me is what I mean. Like, its one of those things where just Square doing it this one time, its not so bad but its one in a sea of many. And you know, in a world where all characters of all types have lots of variety this wouldn't actually be angering or maybe offensive at all. Still probably lazy though haha.

But yeah...I also do see the Blade thing a bit :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back