• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Final Fantasy IX

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
Re: Final Fantasy IX - PS4 Port Available Now

You mean you don't find Noctis and Lunafreya's the most believable of all modern, realistic love stories!?!?! ;p

Ziddy & Dagger for life. (I don't ship, so I don't really fight in the war of Tifa vs. Aerith. It's stupid.) I do enjoy romance in the series every now and then though. It was written so sweetly between these two.

Last edited:

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards

Kinda hard to ship someone with a dead person who never really knew the real you anyway.

Rydgea

Awards
Website
backloggery.com

You could be talking about VII or XV here, tbh.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards

LOL! I think you know which one I meant though. I don't consider FFIX to be one of the better games in the series, far from it. But I would still like to replay it on PS4... if only they fixed the music bugs (same thing goes for FFVII). And the backgrounds. That vaseline filter is ugly.

Rydgea

Awards
Website
backloggery.com

LOL! I think you know which one I meant though.

I did - the one who's death the internet ruined upon it's birth, but still. So, what do I win?

I don't consider FFIX to be one of the better games in the series, far from it. But I would still like to replay it on PS4... if only they fixed the music bugs (same thing goes for FFVII). And the backgrounds. That vaseline filter is ugly.

Yeah, I see you keep mentioning that across the boards. I still don't think you're punk. ;p

This is going to sound terrible, so I hope you don't get offended easily, but I'm not even a little curious what your reasons are for disliking it so much. ilu, Magnus. i0i Feel free to stop reading here yourself; it'd only be fair, but I just know I wouldn't buy it due to my own experience playing the series (the love the devs put in is palpable to me). There are at least five other less fun numbered games that rush to the surface when I think about the main entries of the series, but I trust that that's your experience even if all of your credibility has been chucked out the window. lol

That being said, I wouldn't try to change your opinion either. Jesus, I still play my ancient PS1 copy on the PS3 (I played my max stats save at the final boss just yesterday, because nostalgia was tingling), so apparently I'm not a stickler on graphics when it comes to these older games. But furthermore, I still find them charming! Even though I am interested in purchasing the remaster, polishing a PS1 classic can only get you so far, and IX lost a lot of its HD assets a long time ago anyways. I'd probably still be okay with Squall's "broken" face replaying VIII too.

If you decide to return to it, I hope you have fun. If you think you'll end up just clinically dismantling it, play something else.. to have fun. <3

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards

(I don't ship, so I don't really fight in the war of Tifa vs. Aerith. It's stupid.)
I don't really fight ship wars either. Usually by shipping, I mean I like the idea of and sometimes read fanfiction/look at fanart of a pairing. Where do ship wars play out anyway--tumblr or something?

Rydgea

Awards
Website
backloggery.com

I don't really fight ship wars either. Usually by shipping, I mean I like the idea of and sometimes read fanfiction/look at fanart of a pairing. Where do ship wars play out anyway--tumblr or something?

Yeah, I get you. And I'm sure anywhere the gaming fanbase has a platform will give rise to these kind of debates.

There are definitely instances where I think about the connections that the characters have developed and wonder, and to be able to use your imagination without necessarily having finite confirmation from the creators could be a gift in some instances. I mean, in the case of VII, Aerith and Tifa fans both get to feel justified in their arguements. For me, Cloud x Tifa makes the most sense realistically, but ..they aren't a pair. I don't feel the need to project this romance onto them, into some strained head-canon the fandom feels the need to push on every two main (see: popular male and female) co-stars, into some generic, heteronormative happily ever after. I sort of even like the idea of Tifa staying in this weird, grey area of unrequited love and possibly sexual tension, because, idk, it's real life, and life is weird and awkward and it's a different scenario than what we see 100x over. Ew. I'm talking about VII in a IX thread. Let's stop.

Also, at the end of the day, idgaf who ends up with who. The relationship will work as believable, or it won't.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards

Yeah, I get you. And I'm sure anywhere the gaming fanbase has a platform will give rise to these kind of debates.

There are definitely instances where I think about the connections that the characters have developed and wonder, and to be able to use your imagination without necessarily having finite confirmation from the creators could be a gift in some instances. I mean, in the case of VII, Aerith and Tifa fans both get to feel justified in their arguements. For me, Cloud x Tifa makes the most sense realistically, but ..they aren't a pair. I don't feel the need to project this romance onto them, into some strained head-canon the fandom feels the need to push on every two main (see: popular male and female) co-stars, into some generic, heteronormative happily ever after. I sort of even like the idea of Tifa staying in this weird, grey area of unrequited love and possibly sexual tension, because, idk, it's real life, and life is weird and awkward and it's a different scenario than what we see 100x over. Ew. I'm talking about VII in a IX thread. Let's stop.

Also, at the end of the day, idgaf who ends up with who. The relationship will work as believable, or it won't.

My only thing as far as Tifa and Cloud are concerned is the scene under the Highwind at the end has always held some implications that the two at least shared the night together, moreso if your affection with her was high.

I'm another who doesn't partake in shipping wars, but I do sometimes favor certain characters together. The weirdest FF pairing I've always liked was Ramza and Agrias. EVEN THOUGH THAT ISN'T EVEN CLOSE TO BEING A THING. I just really enjoyed both characters and kind of had this weird thing where I liked the idea of those two getting along swimmingly together in a time of peace.

But FF9, amiright? Segues are weird.

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards

I haven't played since finishing XII. Has anyone completed that ridiculous jump rope mini game?

Rydgea

Awards
Website
backloggery.com

My only thing as far as Tifa and Cloud are concerned is the scene under the Highwind at the end has always held some implications that the two at least shared the night together, moreso if your affection with her was high.

Yeah. But even then, what is OR isn't implied (keyword, not proven) is or is not technically canon. The dating mechanics made sure of that. The gondola ride is heavily based in Aerith's favor anyways, so it's kind of a moot point.

I'm another who doesn't partake in shipping wars, but I do sometimes favor certain characters together. The weirdest FF pairing I've always liked was Ramza and Agrias. EVEN THOUGH THAT ISN'T EVEN CLOSE TO BEING A THING. I just really enjoyed both characters and kind of had this weird thing where I liked the idea of those two getting along swimmingly together in a time of peace.

Wait, what? How? No. That is the stretchiest stretch of all stretches (and w/ dat Capricorn and Cancer biz, oh my), but at least you're self-aware of your indulgence. xD

But FF9, amiright? Segues are weird.

Eeeey! FFIX! Woo~ RETURN EVERYTHING TO THE ZERO WORLD 8|

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards

My favorite FF ship is actually Balthier and Vaan, but Zidane and Garnet are #2 (and #1 canon pairings). I've always loved the idea of the two of them + Fran as a trio of sky pirates post-FFXII.

I've always liked Beatrix and Steiner, too, although Beatrix is too good for Steiner really.... That's the same way I feel about Lulu and Wakka. Love Lulu. Wakka, not so much. It's too bad Auron has to be sent at the end of X, because to me he and Lulu were better fits considering they're both badass and hot to boot.

Rydgea

Awards
Website
backloggery.com

I've always liked Beatrix and Steiner, too, although Beatrix is too good for Steiner really....

Surface level, we see an incompetent oaf paired with a beautiful goddess. But really, Beatrix is heavily flawed, which makes her and Steiner work so well. She is prideful and has the blood of countless innocents on her hands until she becomes woke. Steiner is dense, and Beatrix is blind (not a reference to her eyepatch), but both are sincere and grow exponentially throughout the story. It was interesting to see the two transform from rivals.

That's the same way I feel about Lulu and Wakka. Love Lulu. Wakka, not so much. It's too bad Auron has to be sent at the end of X, because to me he and Lulu were better fits considering they're both badass and hot to boot.

This one, I don't know that I get. I don't remember being convinced by it, but I haven't played X in over a decade, so I could probably revisit the remaster. They just look like an odd couple, their designs in stark contrast, but that really means nothing. Sidebar: I do remember loathing Nomura for keeping a pregnant Lulu stuffed in a corset, while making a bunch of other non-functional designs for the characters in FFX-2.

Zul

Awards
Finally got IX HD from the steam sale, I'm loving it. I also got the memoria engine editor which allows you to mod the game to some degree.

Raised the fps in battle by about 5, set the mode to turn-based so the game now imitates FFX to a degree. This ends up making battles "slightly" harder since you can no longer wait until right when an enemy attacks to react to it, if you want to see the enemy attack you have to give up the character's turn.

Overall though, if you combine the above changes with the "skip battle camera", FF9's notoriously slow battle speed is mostly fixed. I haven't really felt much of a need for the boosters(read:built-in gameshark), but that speed-up mode is really nice for bypassing long animations.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I mean aside the fact that his first name "Adelbert" is a very old german name, and his last name "Steiner" is pretty obviously an allusion to how his mind is hard as stone ("Stein") especially in the early parts of the game, that's pretty much clearly what they went for.
Other than that, though, I don't see anything that makes him feel "german" in any kind of way.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Am I the only one who imagines Steiner is a high pitched German in this game?

No, I imagine something very different,
steiner1.jpg

Reflection

Princess of Heart
Awards
No, I imagine something very different,
steiner1.jpg

I'm reviving this thread to say that I see and appreciate your wrestling post. Also Scott Steiner WAS champion while FFIX was in development. And it would not be the first pro wrestling reference in Japanese pop culture at all. Legit I was just thinking about this lol

Back