• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Final Fantasy III - "crystal tower masochism"

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Ballad of Caius

Player 💀
Awards
I loved FINAL FANTASY II. Even with the weird battle system. I think the only things they carried from that FF were some aspects that turned into series staples, nothing about gameplay haha.

Nowadays, trying to take from 2's battle system would be weird.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
@SweetYetSalty - I'm glad you played it and found it enjoyable! It definitely feels like a stepping stone in the series, in that, even with a (15-year-old) remake it's age shows. I love it, though. What a bunch of worldly antiheroes you projected onto those innocent WoL. Refia = hilarious. I'm not sure if the 3DS is capable, it's been so long since I touched it or FFIII, but I wouldn't mind fishing it out if you are able to send me messages for your Onion Knight class.

I loved FINAL FANTASY II. Even with the weird battle system. I think the only things they carried from that FF were some aspects that turned into series staples, nothing about gameplay haha.

Nowadays, trying to take from 2's battle system would be weird.

This is the III thread, just sayin.'

SweetYetSalty

Awards
@SweetYetSalty - I'm glad you played it and found it enjoyable! It definitely feels like a stepping stone in the series, in that, even with a (15-year-old) remake it's age shows. I love it, though. What a bunch of worldly antiheroes you projected onto those innocent WoL. Refia = hilarious. I'm not sure if the 3DS is capable, it's been so long since I touched it or FFIII, but I wouldn't mind fishing it out if you are able to send me messages for your Onion Knight class.
Lol, yeah I kinda did make them all mostly antiheroes. Ladies and gentlemen the warriors of light. A junior Mr. Krabs, A coward that ruins grinds, a gluttonous girl, and a corrupt youth. Arc and Ingus did grow and see the light though. It's because I gave these characters my own take on their personality that I enjoyed them so much. Easily one of my most unforgettable Final Fantasy playthroughs as I narrated their journey XD

As for the Onion Knight, I did play my version on the 2DS. It played just fine, but I don't know if the wifi worked cause nobody I know plays this game and if they do it's like the Android version or the NES version lol. But if it works I can try it the next time I turn the thing on. It's charging now. The last dungeon made my 2DS go into overtime.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Oh btw. Just so folks know (and why I ended up buying it twice): the Wi-Fi on the DS version no longer works. (Blame Ninty; they killed the nintendo wi-fi on DS's/all DS games a few years ago.) The local DOES but it means you two would have to meet up at a convention or something, which at the moment, considering how many got canceled due to the 'rona, is not possible.

Why do you think I bought the PC version a few years ago? My brother has a copy as well but I didn't want to mess with that noise again. I suggest wishlisting it on Steam and waiting for a sale though; you guys missed the last one when they did the update.

Far as I know tho, this is the only DS remake of a Square game that is mmm..major affected by Ninty turning off the DS servers. The other two (Chrono Trigger and FFIV) aren't noticeably messed up; FFIV..ehh, I don't care to battle my Whyt, and I didn't care to play with the monster thing in CT.

Last edited:

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Oh btw. Just so folks know (and why I ended up buying it twice): the Wi-Fi on the DS version no longer works. (Blame Ninty; they killed the nintendo wi-fi on DS's/all DS games a few years ago.) The local DOES but it means you two would have to meet up at a convention or something, which at the moment, considering how many got canceled due to the 'rona, is not possible.

Why do you think I bought the PC version a few years ago? My brother has a copy as well but I didn't want to mess with that noise again. I suggest wishlisting it on Steam and waiting for a sale though; you guys missed the last one when they did the update.

Far as I know tho, this is the only DS remake of a Square game that is mmm..major affected by Ninty turning off the DS servers. The other two (Chrono Trigger and FFIV) aren't noticably messed up; FFIV..ehh, I don't care to battle my Whyt, and I didn't care to play with the monster thing in CT.
Thanks for the info. I think I'll just buy a cheap used version of FF3 since I have numerous DS systems and I'll send messages to myself lol. I do want to play this game again in the future so it'll be perfect for me to do the Wifi stuff on my second playthrough.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
No, blame IGN. Wii/DS servers were operated by Gamespy, which got bought out by IGN & subsequently shut down. It was out of Nintendo's hands.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Matgsy: Forgot about the details since it's been so long.

And yeah, IGN stinks for doing that. Still, a meet up at some convention is prolly not possible this year; heck every convention from Anime Weekend Atlanta to the Southern Fried Gaming Expo has been canceled this year in Atlanta due to the 'rona, I wouldn't be suprised if it's the same elsewhere.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
The PSP version is the one to get. No need for wi-fi or friend codes to get the Onion Knight armour in that one. Plus it has a handy fast forward feature! It got a physical release in Japan and is 100% in English.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Mag; the PC version doesn't require wi-fi or friend codes either and got the autobattle code as well last update.

YRMV but I haven't had any problems with it; just play it in a window or you'll be sorry but that's the case with a lot of their ports.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I don't even know if my PSP still works at this point. Haven't charged it in years lol. Had I known about the Wi-fi issue I would have gone for that version. I went for the DS version because I still play DS games regularly so it seemed logical. Only after I got the game did I learn of the Mognet issue. I never liked hiding game content behind Wi-fi. It's one of my biggest complaints on Pokemon.

Still I enjoyed my DS run of the game, even if no Onion Knights...yet.

Back