• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Final Fantasy III - "crystal tower masochism"

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards
I just beat FF I, and while the game had little/next to nothing of a plot, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm deciding whether or not I should play FF III after I beat II. I've heard plenty of mixed reviews ever since it was remade for the DS over four years ago. Some say its too old school, but I eventually got used to that in FF I. Opinions?

Last edited:

αsiя

space coke
re: Final Fantasy III - "Wait... they're not onions?"

I'd recommend first trying out some of the older FFs first. FFI to FFXIII can be a big jump since the battle system is vastly changed and since FFVI the stories have been more complex and epic. I say try out some of the older ones (mostly either FFVI, FFVII, or FFIX) and if you like either one then try to jump into some of the modern ones (FFX, FFXII, or FFXIII.) But don't go in expecting the same thing, sure all of them share the most basic things, but they're all different from each other since Square has made sure each new iteration in the series is different.

Jackstin

Bronze Member
Awards

Final Fantasy III is good. It's pretty unmemorable but good.

State

Awards

Final Fantasy III is good. It's pretty unmemorable but good.

THAT was my problem with III, it didn't seem outstanding, it's as if they only focused on the gameplay and forgot about the charms of the characters and the story.

Weeaboo

Kawaii Queen
Awards
Website
www.subeta.net

Well FF3 on DS was okay.

I mean, sure, there was a LITTLE story to it, but if people can beat it in about 1 hour or less, that tells you something.....

I have no idea on NES versions.

Shamdeo

skipped leg day
Awards
Website
finalfantasy.net

Keep in mind this is pretty much a direct remake of a NES game.

So when weighed with some other titles it's not going to have the most elaborate story.

I liked it though, but I played the NES version first.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards

THAT was my problem with III, it didn't seem outstanding, it's as if they only focused on the gameplay and forgot about the charms of the characters and the story.

You're kind of missing the point. Storywise, there's really not much of a difference with any of its (original) contemporary games. :/ Pretty much every game from that period followed the "you're the hero, go fluff up that bad guy" routine.
FF started paying attention to story development with FFIV. Neither I, II or III had it. One of the most stupid things I find is that a lot of people seem to hold it against III, but almost never to the first 2.

I liked playing it, it provided a decent challenge and stayed fun for me, that's all a game needs for me.

Jackstin

Bronze Member
Awards

FF started paying attention to story development with FFIV. Neither I, II or III had it. One of the most stupid things I find is that a lot of people seem to hold it against III, but almost never to the first 2.
Well this isn't true at all. Final Fantasy II has strong characters and story. Firion and Minwu are well loved, and the Emperor was a pretty decent villain. Sure the story is 100% derivative, but it's always been far more memorable than III.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards

Well this isn't true at all. Final Fantasy II has strong characters and story. Firion and Minwu are well loved, and the Emperor was a pretty decent villain. Sure the story is 100% derivative, but it's always been far more memorable than III.

Yeah no. The only thing FFII did more than FFI and FFIII was saying: Leon and Maria are bro and sis and Firion and Guy are their friends (the fact that Firion was their adopted brother didn't even feature in the game, it was only stated in a novelization). Virtually nothing is said about what drives them, aside from "revenge for their parents/loved ones/homeland" and they receive no further characterization at all. The characters' personalities are exactly the same in the end as they were in the beginning, barring Leon, of which we don't even know what he was like in the beginning (getting KO'd and removed from the party pretty much before uttering a single line).

The love for Firion love exists for a large part only due to Dissidia and the love for Minwu because he starts out as überpowerfull and sacrifices himself, which was nice, but hardly worth calling him a strong character for.
The Emperor is pretty much the most strongest character, but only because while the rest (bar one, he's upcoming) stayed the same they continuesly upped the scale of his evil actions (and he was a pretty nice scene-stealer every time he appeared)

In the end, the only character I consider developed is Gordon. He started as a pathetic coward but grew out of it.
Strong story? Maybe. Strong characters? Hell no.

Which isn't to say I didn't enjoy the game. I liked it a lot even.

Shamdeo

skipped leg day
Awards
Website
finalfantasy.net

You see back then developers would leave things to your imagination a lot.

Jackstin

Bronze Member
Awards

Manga's sensible post

I honestly do agree with you; everything you said about II is right. But that's not the point. It does have a pretty bad story, and the characters are mostly unmemorable; but the story is still a level above I and III.

When whatshisname said his main gripe with III was that it was unmemorable, and you said the same is true of I and II, I would have to disagree, as whilst IIs story isn't at all good, there are parts of it which are pretty good/ok. This is not true of IIIs story. III is all about gameplay.

Obiviously IIIs the better game though.

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards

You're kind of missing the point. Storywise, there's really not much of a difference with any of its (original) contemporary games. :/ Pretty much every game from that period followed the "you're the hero, go fluff up that bad guy" routine.

I liked playing it, it provided a decent challenge and stayed fun for me, that's all a game needs for me.

I think I'll enjoy it. Final Fantasy I had little if any plot beyond what Manga said. He also made other good points. I'm also playing Dragon Quest VIII and ^^^^pretty sums up the story. Keep in mind the series has pretty much remained the same since its inception,

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards

I honestly do agree with you; everything you said about II is right. But that's not the point. It does have a pretty bad story, and the characters are mostly unmemorable; but the story is still a level above I and III.

When whatshisname said his main gripe with III was that it was unmemorable, and you said the same is true of I and II, I would have to disagree, as whilst IIs story isn't at all good, there are parts of it which are pretty good/ok. This is not true of IIIs story. III is all about gameplay.

Obiviously IIIs the better game though.
Never said they were unmemorable. :/ Just saying their stories aren't that more developed than that of III. Wich is what Seraph complained about: the lack of story in favor of gameplay. To me unmemorable does not (necessarilly) equal a good or well developed story.

I think I'll enjoy it. Final Fantasy I had little if any plot beyond what Manga said. He also made other good points. I'm also playing Dragon Quest VIII and ^^^^pretty sums up the story. Keep in mind the series has pretty much remained the same since its inception,

That's really all you need to know. If you enjoyed FFI, there's not much reason to not enjoy FFIII. Unless you get a gripe with the difficulty.

Beyer

re: Final Fantasy III - "crystal tower masochism"

I found Final Fantasy III DS to be quite fun.

No, it doesn't really have any memorable characters or plot but it does have the first version of my loved Job System. The gameplay was quite fun and the designs of the characters and their separate job outfits was interesting and pretty cool.

Sadly, due to the high level of awesome of the other games in the main series, this falls into the bottom 3, yet I still love the game.

Jackstin

Bronze Member
Awards

So how will mognet work in the iPhone version?

I'm going to get this as I've only played ff3 twice

Jackstin

Bronze Member
Awards

There's going to be an Iphone version!!? I didn't know that.

It's on the front page lol :p

(...well of final fantasy dot net)

And yeah, just announced, about to be released in Japan. There's gameplay videos and everything now! Looks like the FMV has been cut out.

siegleeagle

It's on the front page lol :p

(...well of final fantasy dot net)

And yeah, just announced, about to be released in Japan. There's gameplay videos and everything now! Looks like the FMV has been cut out.

Cool I plan on getting an iphone and ill download it.

Shadow_

Banned
Awards

I have hte DS version of 3 and I love it, the storyline is kinda meh but W/E its final fantasy haha. Plus if you get the USA version you can do the glitch where you can get unlimited items. It makes it alot easier since you can't buy pheonix downs :(

Back