• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Final Fantasy character reactions

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

SoraDrive

I always wanted to know how FF players reacted to FF characters in the KH games.

Personally, I only played FFX when KH1 was released and it was so weird for me to see Tidus and Wakka as kids lol

But what about veteran FF players? How did you react to Cloud, Squall (Leon), Vivi and Aerith?

Kind of a weird thread but I have always wondered this.

blksabbath74

I played FF7 and FF8, (actually played FF1 on the NES) and seeing Squall, Yuffie (Is Vivi in KH? He was one of the alltime best characters) and Aerith was extremely cool IMO.

SoraDrive

I played FF7 and FF8, (actually played FF1 on the NES) and seeing Squall, Yuffie (Is Vivi in KH? He was one of the alltime best characters) and Aerith was extremely cool IMO.

Vivi is in Twilight Town in KH2. I recently finished FFIX and in the middle of FFVIII and It's so cool seeing them. Always loved Cloud and Sephiroth and I have finished Crisis Core and saw Advent Children.

Saint Of The Key

The first time I played KH2... I had only played FF 12 and a little bit of FF 10, so not many of the character's appearances affected me, but I also did watch Advent Children, so seeing Cloud and Sephiroth fighting gave me a small amount of nostalgia.

blksabbath74

Vivi is in Twilight Town in KH2. I recently finished FFIX and in the middle of FFVIII and It's so cool seeing them. Always loved Cloud and Sephiroth and I have finished Crisis Core and saw Advent Children.

Now that I think about it, I actually played KH2 BEFORE I played FF9, so I don't think I even noticed. I was probably like, cool, a Black Mage...

I didn't play FF9 and FF12 until last year...

SoraDrive

The first time I played KH2... I had only played FF 12 and a little bit of FF 10, so not many of the character's appearances affected me, but I also did watch Advent Children, so seeing Cloud and Sephiroth fighting gave me a small amount of nostalgia.

Yeah that was really awesome!

Lionheart527

I thought they did well with the characters for the most part. Wasn't big on Clouds appearance in KH1. Also don't like how they call Squall, Leon. Other than that the only thing to say is that they downgraded when they switched voice actors for Squall and Aeris in KHII.

Of course I can be nit picking a bit because Squall is my favorite character haha.

gamerobber7

Bronze Member
Awards
I always wanted to know how FF players reacted to FF characters in the KH games.

Personally, I only played FFX when KH1 was released and it was so weird for me to see Tidus and Wakka as kids lol

But what about veteran FF players? How did you react to Cloud, Squall (Leon), Vivi and Aerith?

Kind of a weird thread but I have always wondered this.

I had also only played X when I first played KH1 and I was confused on why a young Tidus and Wakka appeared. xD I've played a few more of them since and I feel they did a pretty good job with them (now they just need them to appear more often).

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I played the FF series after KH, for the most part. I had played FFIX before KH2 though, and thought Vivi was awful. But it might've just been that voice...

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
As I was an avid Final Fantasy player and fan of that series before KH, FF was actually what eventually brought me to KH in the first place.

I played FF VIII, IX, VII and X (in that order) before KH became even a blip on my radar.
At first I declined to buy it since I thought that in the best case combining Disney characters and settings with FF would be awkward and at worst the FF characters would be toned down immensely and "brought down" by all the colorful and slapstick comedy stuff that Disney is known for (seriously? Donald Duck and Goofy? Two of the biggest clowns in cartoon history?)

It was not until 2005 that I reconsidered my stance and when having some money left (KH was then available as a Platinum copy) gave in and tried it out.
Big surprise when I realized that they actually managed to pull it off.
Yes, the FF characters were indeed toned down, but not as much as I had feared and the whole issue was outbalanced by the Disney characters actually being useful and "toned up" compared to their slapstick comedy cartoon counterparts.
The formula actually did work and since it was already 2005 KH II was already on the horizon and the interesting original characters and overall story catched my interest as well.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
I was vaguely aware of the FInal Fantasy series, but hadn't played any of them. I came to Kingdom Hearts because of the Disney, and didn't know the Final Fantasy characters weren't original characters until I read Jiminy's Journal. Then I did research on the series. I don't think my experience is very typical, though. I know that's not really what you were after, but KH did bring me to the Final Fantasy games.

blksabbath74

I played the FF series after KH, for the most part. I had played FFIX before KH2 though, and thought Vivi was awful. But it might've just been that voice...

Vivi is one of my alltime favorite characters...just the way he has to deal with having been created as essentially a weapon, and the humanity he brings to that.

Of course, I thought FF9 was one of the better games...

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
Vivi is one of my alltime favorite characters...just the way he has to deal with having been created as essentially a weapon, and the humanity he brings to that.

Of course, I thought FF9 was one of the better games...
I love Vivi and FFIX is my favorite FF, but thought the KH2 version of him was horrible.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
I was vaguely aware of the FInal Fantasy series, but hadn't played any of them. I came to Kingdom Hearts because of the Disney, and didn't know the Final Fantasy characters weren't original characters until I read Jiminy's Journal. Then I did research on the series. I don't think my experience is very typical, though. I know that's not really what you were after, but KH did bring me to the Final Fantasy games.

Pretty much this (I got into KH soon after KHII was released). I also remember being somewhat curious about the games, and wanting something to tide myself over while I waited for KHIII (how little I knew back then. LOL.), so I checked them out, since I already liked Square.

Plus, a lot of my friends loved the series and thought I was weird for not knowing it (and I think they were getting annoyed with my KH talk, so they wanted to get me into FF, so I'd have other games to obsess over. LOL.), so first I watched Advent Children with a friend. And then after that (after looking things up on YT), I bought FFX and X-2 (and for some stupid reason was playing both of those at the same time at first), and suffice to say I became obsessed with FF, and started playing my way through as many of the games that I could.

ANYWAY, I could get more into my FF history, but since this thread isn't about that, I'll get back on topic. After I knew the characters, I really enjoyed seeing them in KH. And liked feeling as though I was in the know. LOL. I also went through a dark phase in thinking the Disney should be removed from KH in favor of the FF (when I was really obsessed with it), but quickly changed my mind about that. LOL.

And when I saw Zack in BbS... I definitely was very happy, and promptly freaked out. It helps that I love CC and Zack's one of my favorite FF heroes, but I really loved his appearance. I think it worked really well, and I liked how they used his theme, and had a reference to his asking Aerith out on a date. LOL. My only regret is that they didn't end up including Laguna in the game after all. XD

And in DDD, when I saw the TWEWY kids (sorry if you don't want me to talk about TWEWY here...), I about lost it. Unlike FF, I'd known about TWEWY beforehand (as a friend of mine owned it, and I was interested in it as it was by Square and seemed KH-ish; the music, and things I'd seen on YT were also nice), but I didn't finally get around to playing it until Neku was first revealed to be in 3D.

But, yeah. I ended up playing it right after that (and quite a while before 3D came out), and my gosh: their inclusion was flawless. TWEWY is my favorite game now. And I thoroughly adored seeing these beautiful, underrated characters again. And I loved the humor they brought, and how they meshed with the KH characters so well.

It was also great to seem them completely animated (and three-dimensional), and to hear more of the voice acting... And the fact that their appearance in 3D furthered the TWEWY story somewhat and could, possibly, tie into canon... It was good. It was so very amazing to see them! And the references! And the Joshua character development! I can't even-

Anywho, I imagine when I see FF characters I know in future KH games (or other Square or Disney properties), I'll be just as thrilled:)

Last edited:

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
I thought they did well with the characters for the most part. Wasn't big on Clouds appearance in KH1. Also don't like how they call Squall, Leon. Other than that the only thing to say is that they downgraded when they switched voice actors for Squall and Aeris in KHII.

Of course I can be nit picking a bit because Squall is my favorite character haha.

This was basically me when I was younger. I knew about the series and had even seen my cousins play some of the games, but I never really knew much about the games until afterwards. That being said, I felt that the Final Fantasy characters in the Kingdom Hearts world were pretty interesting, at least in I and Birth by Sleep. My only qualms were some of the characters in II such as Setzer being too different from their games. By then, I had played the games via an emulator my cousin from the Philippines gave me, so it was wierd seeing people like Cloud and Setzer act so different.

Also, as mentioned earlier, I don't really like the name Leon for Squall, either. Come Kingdom Hearts III, I'd like to see certain characters call him that despite him insisting on them calling him Leon. Rinoa and Laguna would probably call him that, and I seriously doubt that Cloud in any universe would simply call him Leon. If, by some miracle, Firion makes it into III, he should call him Squall as well solely to make sure that he doesn't mix this Leon with his Leon from Final Fantasy II.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back