• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Final Fantasy 25th Anniversary

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackstin

Bronze Member
Awards
Zack is everything Cloud should have been. Cloud was basically just a male Terra.

What is this? How are they the same? Because at the beginning of the games they were both lost and confused?

Zack is a two dimensional hero character. He has a great death scene, and is very well marketed towards teens. That is the root of his popularity.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
What a awesome collaboration! In personal detail that focuses on Final Fantasy though the years. Reading the developer profiles were interesting because I get to know a little bit more about them and their past/current projects. Lot's of unfamiliar names I should start to become familiar with. It reflects very key points in Square's/Square Enix's history and also reveals a little more about the future and where Final Fantasy is heading. A great read for any fan indeed. I'd also like to note KHinsider got a little shoutout in the credits.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
What is this? How are they the same? Because at the beginning of the games they were both lost and confused?

Zack is a two dimensional hero character. He has a great death scene, and is very well marketed towards teens. That is the root of his popularity.

If anything, Cloud is the two dimensional one. He's like Terra because he's a puppet without a personality. I'm not saying Zack is the most awesome character of all time or anything, but he's certainly more interesting and charismatic than the pity party loving Cloud.

By the way, where's the other list? Shouldn't it have been published by now?

Coeurl

Demon Dance
Oh wow, thanks a bunch for that compilation. I'm gonna enjoy reading all of these stuff.

Jackstin

Bronze Member
Awards
e-Magazine was excellent. Thanks Sham and anyone involved and generally a big thank you for your work on the site over the last year. Your hard word is appreciated by us all and this is definitely the best FF fansite out there.

(needs a dedicated forum though :p)

misssheep

I'm not saying Zack is the most awesome character of all time or anything, but he's certainly more interesting and charismatic than the pity party loving Cloud.

You do realize that Cloud was not "emo " or depressed in the original game right ??

Shamdeo

skipped leg day
Awards
Website
finalfantasy.net
You know, given his circumstances, I'd find it hard not to be depressed around the time of Advent Children.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
You do realize that Cloud was not "emo " or depressed in the original game right ??

Of course I do. For the most part, he had zero personality in the original game. I get that he got his memories mixed up with the stories Zack had told him, but it doesn't explain how he became indifferent to everything that happened around him. As long as he got paid, he couldn't have cared less if he was going to save the world or not. That makes him a puppet. But for some strange reason, he cares for Aerith, despite not having met her before nor having a clue about their mutual connection with Zack. At the same time, he completely ignores Tifa - his real love interest. Even after she helps him recover his sanity, he treats her like filth and makes it his mission to avenge Aerith, a person whom he didn't even get to know as his true self. How about just saving the world, Cloud?

It's not until after beating Sephiroth that he finally decides to court and eventually settle down with Tifa, the one person who knows him the best and will support him no matter what. And guess what happens next? He disappears, leaving her and the kids extremely worried about him. She deserves an award for sticking with him until the very end, when he finally, or at least hopefully, realises what a tool he has been. Zack and Aerith had minds of their own. They knew what they were getting themselves into. The people Cloud let down were Tifa, Marlene and Denzel. He was too busy feeling unnecessary guilty and worthless to appreciate his friends and family. Not even after what they had been through together.

Zack on the other hand cares about his friends, and is obviously willing to risk his life to protect them, but is also very likeable in general. You get to see him gradually mature in Crisis Core and become a more serious character, without losing his heart in the process. Cloud went from being a mindless drone to being a selfish jerk who put very little logic into his decisions. I like that they at least tried to give him somewhat of a personality as a young kid in Crisis Core though. I wish they had thought of this earlier and incorporated traces of it in all of the games.

Tifa truly is the rock of the entire party, but unfortunately her role is often downplayed by her appearance. I'm really glad they re-designed her for Advent Children. Anyway, she deserves some recognition for being more of a leader than anyone else in the group. It would have been more interesting if they had pulled a Final Fantasy VI in that regard, letting the player think of Cloud as the main character only to shift perspective halfway through the game. Then again, that would have made it incredibly obvious that many of the key elements were already recycled from that game (although VII for the most part made everything better, imo).

Jackstin

Bronze Member
Awards
You know, given his circumstances, I'd find it hard not to be depressed around the time of Advent Children.
But you can still understand why people would find that irritating. But yeah, emo doesn't mean a bad character. But its even worse to call Cloud emo in FF7 when he patently wasn't.

misssheep

This. Cloud has been mind-screwed with so many times by Sephiroth and Aerith and Zack died right in front of his eyes. He almost murdered Aerith himself by Sephiroth controlling him. And then Sephiroth and Hojo telling him that he was nothing but a Sephiroth clone and that he was only a created project. That would mess anybody up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back