• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

File Ripping

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
Hey folks, I've been looking for art assets from either Kingdom Hearts X or Unchained X. Namely, world art. Backgrounds in all their different layers. I know the front page has an archive of images, but all the layers are flattened together and I'd love to have them separate. It's mainly a curiosity thing, but it might also give me some insight into what goes into making a game look as pretty as this one.

So far, the best luck I've had is opening the game on the browser and streaming the raw data in the network tab of the page element. Probably sounds a little too technical for most, but anyway... It basically just loads in assets as they're used, so I'm not able to see a full archive, only what is currently on screen in the game.

If I go to Agrabah, I see the art or sound files used there. Same with Wonderland, Dwarf Woodlands, etc. I'm wondering if anyone has any knowledge on if there's a way to load up assets for places past my progress (Beast's Castle in particular). I realize this is probably beyond most people's expertise (and likely beyond your interest, haha), but I thought I'd ask. Lol

INTERESTING TIDBIT I FOUND THOUGH!
One of the flash files that loads up, called "select_world[1].swf", Contains a number of embedded files. Among said files (which contain all current playable worlds) I found this:

oHsE5rk.png

So while Kingdom Hearts X on browsers is no longer going on, since Unchained X has begun, they have shared the same worlds so far, and I think it's not crazy to assume that the next Disney world after Beast's castle could very well be Enchanted Dominion.

If anyone has an old abandoned account for the browser version of the game with progress up to Beast's castle, I'd be happy to have access to it, if someone doesn't mind. I only ask because I assume many of you haven't used your Japanese Yahoo accounts for much else. :p

EDIT: Imgur albums for any art assets I find, in case people are interested in looking at those.

Last edited:

Bosshua

Enchanted Dominion's been in the files since day one, but I'm afraid that browser chi has already announced that all they'll be doing is finishing Agrabah and Daybreak Town. Browser chi is still ongoing, just not for much longer! It's unlikely they'll include a world in Unchained that's not in Browser, but not entirely impossible.

Ahhh, how DID you find the images, though? Or, less "find" I suppose, and more "open", as those .dat files have eluded me so far. I assumed they were images, so paint or GIMP would work, wordpad gets me mumbojumbo. But all the above scream loudly at me. So what do you open them with? I'm caught up with the story, so should be able to rip the images for you. (This is assuming that the AG_0003_00_00_colli.dat is in fact where you got the maps from.)

Awards
Okay, gotcha, thanks for filling me in on that.

And most of the .dat files I haven't been able to open, but any that end in "res.dat" I have been able to open with just anything like WinRar or 7zip. They usually contain some PNG files and occasionally some SWF files if there's some animated overlays, like the glowing eyes of the trees in Dwarf Woodlands or the blowing sand in Agrabah. I open the SWF files with a program called SWFRIP.

I've also ripped some sound files. I think I've found most of them. Their file names contain "sndpac" (I can't remember exactly off-hand). They are SWF files that contain sound effects ofr things like system (menu mostly), player (attacks, etc), skills (which I think is special card attacks?), and some others. I found the files that contained the music for each world, but I forget what they were called, so I'll have to look again.

Anywho, if you wanted to take a crack at it, since you're caught up in the story and seem to know your way around what i'm talking about, that'd be awesome! Cool to see someone else interested in this!

Bosshua

Pwauh! After trying a few of the dat files with no success, I assumed they were all the same. I had no idea that the res could just be extracted, gosh. Yeah, I've gotten most the swfs ripped out (all 500+ of them), but the world maps and enemy sprites were still giving me trouble. World maps down, all I got left to find is the enemy sprites! *stares longingly at the enemy.dat files. SIGHS...*

Seems to be working well, I should have Beast Castle up sometime soon! Doing a test dash through Wonderland to see if I can avoid going everywhere by figuring out the naming mechanism. :Tc
Thank you sooo much, though. I was super upset I couldn't find the world map assets unless they were in cutscenes, but bam, here they all are! ;w;

Last edited:
Awards
Yeah, I probably would have done the same. I think it was just luck that I tried opening one of the "res.dat" files.
I'll see if I have any luck with enemy sprites. I know the player sprites are in many pieces, due to there being a character creator, but the enemies could be in pieces too. If only just the limbs, since they're animated in layers.

Awesome! Thanks a bunch for helping with that! I actually hadn't played much of the browser version of the game, s I didn't realize some of the differences (ie. being able to completely run past enemies), it made things much easier than I expected to load up rooms. Do you recall if the Dwarfs cottage interior was accessible in the browser game? I love the level art in there in Unchained X, and the thought of having it in layers is making me drool, but it didn't seem to be open from the first available mission.

Hey no problem! I really didn't expect anyone to care about this as much as I do, so it's a pleasant surprise, haha.

EDIT: Making some progress in finding sprites, I think. Still no enemies, but I'm onto something.
Sprite Animation

EDIT: Partial enemy!
Shadow Sprite

Last edited:

Bosshua

Unchained and browser are rather similar in plot/story, you can go to *everywhere* in browser that you can in Unchained, plus several spots that haven't been unlocked yet in Unchained! There's a lot of areas that gradually unlock as you continue through the story.

It seems that SOME enemy files (ene#), just like SOME avatar files (img#) can be opened in flash rippers like JPEXS, but not all of them. Doesn't seem to be much of a pattern so far, so not sure how to force my way into the rest of the enemy files. edit: You can get several enemies from the cutscene and boss files, buuut I want EVENT ENEMIES. >:T

And yeah, the gifs in this game are great. You got that from one of the abl swfs, right? ;D Here's some Unicornis ones I've made from the most recent update, I plan on making all gifs and ripping all assets in the game and putting them on that blog. I'd hate for art to be lost when the game closes in September! D:

Anyways, here's a google drive ZIP of the Beast Castle images! Warning: 50MB. I'm about to go to bed, but I'll probably rip the rest of the worlds in the morning.

Last edited:
Awards
The browser game seems much more open off the bat, in terms of exploration. That's cool though, good to know.

Yeah, I'm having trouble differentiating the files that can be access from the ones that can't. It'd be nice to find some kind of indicator.
Hopefully we'll figure it out. I'm pretty determined. :p

Yeah, i think that's where that came from. And the Shadow one is from "show_effect2.swf", the "show" part probably meaning spawn. Since it seems to be the animation of the heartless spawning. Holy hell, those Unicornis gifs are fantastic. Good job on those! Glad you're doing that, it's some nice looking art and it'd suck to see it lost. I wish I knew how to access Unchained's files. I've dabbled in extracting stuff from APKs before, but Square Enix likes to have their games download the assets AFTER installation, meaning they're not stored in the APK at all.

Thank you! These are fantastic! I love Beast's Castle.
You have a good night, and thanks again!

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards
All enemy animations can be found in the ene*.dat that are loaded when you enter a place with these enemies for the first time. They are compressed with zlib, the NPCs use the same format too. It's not like we sat on our collectives asses for four years.:wink:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iKV8nBvek9bsyk9-BNhSWJc3N2v4ZewlvqBZKRvgBjI/edit?usp=sharing

We're pretty good with [chi] covering now, what's still needed is the algorithm (original file name + salt) that hashes the card images.

Last edited:
Awards
Oh wow, nice! I had no idea, thanks for bringing it to my attention. :)
Question: How does one go about un-compressing a file compressed with zlib?

Last edited:

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I have a good feeling that Enchanted Dominion will be next.
They just need to finalise the assets for the world.

Blumenschlange.png

I was scrolling through all the various heartless images for X and found this with an ??? for location. I can guarantee you that this is either the final boss or enemy heartless for Enchanted Dominion. Who knows, maybe Enchanted Dominion will be revealed before X closure and be a short world like Beasts Castle
(which I really wished was longer :'( ).

Bosshua

All enemy animations can be found in the ene*.dat that are loaded when you enter a place with these enemies for the first time. They are compressed with zlib, the NPCs use the same format too. It's not like we sat on our collectives asses for four years.:wink:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iKV8nBvek9bsyk9-BNhSWJc3N2v4ZewlvqBZKRvgBjI/edit?usp=sharing

We're pretty good with [chi] covering now, what's still needed is the algorithm (original file name + salt) that hashes the card images.

ZLIB. >:0 Thank you! Now I can finally make cute enemy gifs. I'll scream at this stuff soon.
I doubt I can figure out the salt for card images, but I'll try my hand at it.
(Edit: but tbh I can't find any zlib uncompresses for Windows, they all seem to be very Unix-focused, as it's a... C library of some sorts?)

I have a good feeling that Enchanted Dominion will be next.
They just need to finalise the assets for the world.
I was scrolling through all the various heartless images for X and found this with an ??? for location. I can guarantee you that this is either the final boss or enemy heartless for Enchanted Dominion. Who knows, maybe Enchanted Dominion will be revealed before X closure and be a short world like Beasts Castle
(which I really wished was longer :'( ).

Once again, that monster has been in the files for a very long time. It's likely they originally planned on having an Enchanted Dominion, but have decided otherwise due to time constraints (namely Back Cover's release). chi is closing in September, and with their regular update schedule, that gives about 4 more updates. Likely 2 of these for Agrabah and 2 for Daybreak Town... we'd need at least 2 for Enchanted Dominion, which would leave us only with 1 Agrabah and 1 Daybreak Town. That's really not enough for an epic conclusion.

Last edited:

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Once again, that monster has been in the files for a very long time. It's likely they originally planned on having an Enchanted Dominion, but have decided otherwise due to time constraints (namely Back Cover's release). chi is closing in September, and with their regular update schedule, that gives about 4 more updates. Likely 2 of these for Agrabah and 2 for Daybreak Town... we'd need at least 2 for Enchanted Dominion, which would leave us only with 1 Agrabah and 1 Daybreak Town. That's really not enough for an epic conclusion.

Nomura stressed that The Seven Princess of Hearts worlds are priority in Kingdom Hearts X world. Why would he give a statement like that knowing that X would shut down soon? I really do think that Enchanted Dominion will be in Unchained X. Will it be weird because it's not in X? yes, but at the same time, they're both their own games that are slowly starting to diverge. Unchained X is still going to continue after X closes so it'd be silly for Square Enix to place a ever-growing mobile application platform on a standstill.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
Nomura has even said that if Unchained were to continue to be provided service that they might even add entirely new-to-the-series worlds down the line. So Enchanted Dominion to appear in Unchained and not X is totally possible.

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards
ZLIB. >:0 Thank you! Now I can finally make cute enemy gifs. I'll scream at this stuff soon.
I doubt I can figure out the salt for card images, but I'll try my hand at it.
(Edit: but tbh I can't find any zlib uncompresses for Windows, they all seem to be very Unix-focused, as it's a... C library of some sorts?)
You would think that with over 1800 collected hashes there would be a way to crack this but SHA-256 is no cakewalk.

Anyway, here is an archive with the a zlib decompressor and a QuickBMS script that can extract the swf files from the decompressed dat file.
You have to decompress the dat files the following way: zblic.exe -d "input file" "output file". For example "zblic.exe -d ene229.dat ene229b.dat". You can simply drag and drop these into the cmd or write a bat file (that's what I'm doing).

When the file is decompressed, open QuickBMS (you should probably download a newer version), open the script and then select all dat files and the folder where they should be placed. It's really simple.

Nomura stressed that The Seven Princess of Hearts worlds are priority in Kingdom Hearts X world. Why would he give a statement like that knowing that X would shut down soon?
Because the princesses have nothing to do with it, those worlds were chosen because they fit the fairy tale style of the game, it's in the interview. If the princesses were important in Unchained then we would know by now.

Nomura has even said that if Unchained were to continue to be provided service that they might even add entirely new-to-the-series worlds down the line. So Enchanted Dominion to appear in Unchained and not X is totally possible.
If they don't announce Enchanted Dominion during the E3 it will never come or any other world beyond that. Why? Because new world content is really the rarest of them all. If you followed the development of [chi] you would see how long it took to even get some new rooms. Beast's Castle was released over two years after the game started, that's why "finalizing the assets" is just laughable.

Story development was stalled time and time again, the gaps were filled with new card, Heartless, events and new Keyblade upgrades, just so the game could live longer. Unchained is burning through this filler content really fast, so fast that they skipped 1/4 of the Beast's Castle storyline just so you don't possess too many Orichalcums. So fast, that the new medals in the Japanese version are a magnitude more powerful than the starting medals now, a point that was reached in [chi] shortly before the 2nd Anniversary. So why would they develop new exclusive story content, the most expensive part of the game, just so you can burn through these new assets too?

[chi]/Unchained are free2play games, story was never their focus and if Nomura wouldn't have intervened we would still search for Alice's lost handkerchief or some gold coins in the desert.

Bosshua

You would think that with over 1800 collected hashes there would be a way to crack this but SHA-256 is no cakewalk.

Anyway, here is an archive with the a zlib decompressor and a QuickBMS script that can extract the swf files from the decompressed dat file.
You have to decompress the dat files the following way: zblic.exe -d "input file" "output file". For example "zblic.exe -d ene229.dat ene229b.dat". You can simply drag and drop these into the cmd or write a bat file (that's what I'm doing).

When the file is decompressed, open QuickBMS (you should probably download a newer version), open the script and then select all dat files and the folder where they should be placed. It's really simple.
Ohhh my god it's 32-bit encryption? <o< Scary.
You are a GODSEND, that IS really simple. Bless. Thank you! ;w;

Last edited:

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
So why would they develop new exclusive story content
To keep supporting the game, so they can keep interest alive and keep making revenue off of it?
I don't know why you're fighting me on this, it literally came from Nomura's mouth this month that it was a real possibility.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Also, Unchained and X aren't the same? Nomura's been pretty clear since Unchained was announced that the two games aren't supposed to be viewed as identical. There are some pretty strong game hints lately that would justify the difference, too.

Anyway, yes, Nomura's said as much about adding new content if the app stays active.

Awards
Anyone know where I might find the white glove cursor file? I feel like it might be part of the website rather than the game. Purely based on the fact that it retains it's quality when you change the game's quality. I could be wrong.

Anyways, I was hoping to replace the green/yellow circles in BlueStacks with it, so that if I play Unchained X with a gamepad, it has the KH glove cursor.

EDIT: Never mind! Found it in the key.swf, obviously :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ShardofTruth

Unchained
Awards
To keep supporting the game, so they can keep interest alive and keep making revenue off of it?
I don't know why you're fighting me on this, it literally came from Nomura's mouth this month that it was a real possibility.
I'm not fighting you over this, I want you to take this with a huge grain of salt instead. If developing story content would have a real impact on the revenue of this game, [chi] would be the KH game with the longest story ever (hint: it is not, and I wrote why back on page 1).

Like with any freemium game it's the 1-3% addicted people (called whales) that spend crazy amounts of money on this game but for new fluff items and the best way to be in the top 10, not story content.
The hacking problem going on right now is actually a huge problem for Unchained in the long run since it will alienate these people.

Last edited:

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
I'm not fighting you over this, I want you to take this with a huge grain of salt instead. If developing story content would have a real impact on the revenue of this game, [chi] would be the KH game with the longest story ever (hint: it is not, and I wrote why back on page 1).
Story content isn't the only factor of course. Chi is likely closing because it isn't making enough revenue. Unchained is probably succeeding better and it is more accessible to fans, making it foolish for them to continue to support both. Story content isn't going to be the only factor that leads to the games success, but you have to be joshin me if you think they are unrelated. When KHUx's story "ends" I can guarantee you that numbers of active players, and thus potential revenue, will see a dramatic drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back