• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

FF beginners for KH fans

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

keybladeblue6

I have never played a Final Fantasy game before, but if I ever decide to do so I'd like to know:

Is it necessary to play all the games to understand the whole story?
If the answer to the above question is no, please list all the FF games worth playing.
Are there spinoffs of certain numbered games that are required to be played to understand the story of the games?
Using the KH story as a standard, how convoluted are the stories in these games and will I have trouble following any of them?
Again using KH as a standard, how difficult or complex is the gameplay, and how similar is to the KH gameplay?
Finally, on average how long would it take to complete one of these games?

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Everything of that depends. For starters, I would recommend Final Fantasy VI. It is easy to get into, has a great story and doesn't take too long to finish.

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards
Is it necessary to play all the games to understand the whole story?

To begin with, nope! Each game is pretty much separate from one another. The story tends to change, although certain themes exist. Sometimes the games do make references to past entries in the series, where you'll be like "Ahah!", but that's really it. What I will say is that some games are completely different. XI and XIV are pretty big in this, as these are MMORPGS, and not single-player games.

If the answer to the above question is no, please list all the FF games worth playing.

To an extent, I guess all of them would be viable. I think it depends how you find the series. For a lot of people, I know that VII was their first game, and they always speak highly of it. I myself started with VIII. I think Void is right in thinking that VI is a good starting point. It's a really nice game that gives you an idea of what Final Fantasy has to offer. I feel one that might be a right fit for a lot of people is Final Fantasy X (I genuinely thought VoidGear would have said this. Shows what I know, eh?) . It's a pretty great game that is currently available on PS4, and I feel it gives a really great example, just as VI does. VII is also accessible on the PS4, however, and definitely worth a shout considering how acclaimed it was.

Are there spinoffs of certain numbered games that are required to be played to understand the story of the games?

Certain games have a few sequels, if that helps. I believe IV had one. Final Fantasy VII is often referred to as the Compilation of Final Fantasy, and contains different video games and even a movie that furthers the game. X also has a direct sequel, referred to as X-2. As I said, Final Fantasy XI is an online game, alone with XIV. However, these games have expansions that further the game, so you could think of them as additional games, I suppose. Final Fantasy XIII also has two sequels, although I couldn't give you an idea of how those work, having never played it myself. Final Fantasy XV also has a movie to accompany the game, known as Kingslaive, and there is also a YouTube Series called Brotherhood, which lasts about 5 episodes.

Using the KH story as a standard, how convoluted are the stories in these games and will I have trouble following any of them?

I feel Kingdom Hearts is a lot more lighthearted than what you'll find in Final Fantasy games. The plot can be pretty convoluted at times. I think earlier games were a lot easier to understand, but further down the line, it does get a bit "what".

Again using KH as a standard, how difficult or complex is the gameplay, and how similar is to the KH gameplay?

I feel Final Fantasy XV is the game that would be closer to the gameplay style of the Kingdom Hearts series. XV is more of an action RPG, and can be pretty frantic. But the other games weren't really as hectic as that. For example, a lot of the games incorporate a turn-based system. However, later games also decided to operate an ATB system, where you wait for a little gauge before attacking. However, I feel only Final Fantasy XV falls under the kind of KH standards. Difficulty wise though, I feel they can be manageable. Some games are harder than others though. At the end of the day, a lot of it comes under strategy.

Finally, on average how long would it take to complete one of these games?

These games can take quite a lot to finish, from what I can gather. I myself have only ever finished Final Fantasy VIII, IX, X and XV. I feel XV was a pretty short game compared to the others, if you don't focus on sidequests as much.

Hope this provides you with better idea! Don't hesitate to ask if you need any more.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I was thinking about naming X cause its my favorite, but for starters of the series, I think 6-9 actually make the most sense :D

Yamuraiha

Awards
Honestly you can just basically dive into any of the games that aren't sequels? I think a lot of people just started with one FF game and then went from there without paying too much attention to the order? Like I started with FF13 because it was the first game that came out when I got my PS3 if you wanna start with older titles FF7 and 8 are popular and pretty cheap (PC port or on PS), FF10 is super popular too so you probably can't go wrong with any of these? If you wanna start in some kind of chronological order I'd go with one of the first FF games that get mentioned just because it's easier to start with recommendations.

XV comes close to KH just because you can just play and finish the game by... beating everything and everyone up and it's not that long of a game unless you get extremely hooked with the world and decide to do a lot of sidequests and dungeons and collect stuff.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
I think Final Fantasy X HD is the best entry point. It sits somewhere in between the classic and modern style in terms of game design. It also has a lot of things in common with the first Kingdom Hearts. The overall vibe of the game and the aesthetics. The sound effects, spell animations and so on. You can tell these games were made by the same company around the same time, so to speak.

From there, you can both work your way up and down as you please to experience both sides of the coin.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Honestly? None of the games are linked other than the sequels. So just pick one and dive in. I'd suggest some of the earlier entries first, but I'm a bit biased since I kinda <3 FF3, FF5, and FF6. (That reminds me, I might need to pick up FF6 on Steam before the FF Anniversary sale dies.)

But for KH, I'd start with FF7 if I were you, then FF8, then go up from there. As for the MMOs; No charas from them have shown up in KH..YET. FF11 charas might, just might have a chance though; I'm writing a fic in the fic section about the possibility, since I know a chara from there that'd fit like a hand in a glove..but you never know our fine director's mind. Here's that fic. There's a link to all FF11 cs's in the introduction; I think there's something similar for FFXIV if you do not have the inclination/time to play the MMOs (understandable; they can both be terrible time sinks); check Youtube.

I don't think I need to say much more on the stories and stuff; it's been said. But be aware. Almost all of the games have a stand alone story, unless you're looking at something like FFX-2 or the FF13 sequels. So they're not really linked, just pick one and dive in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back