• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Favorite superbosses

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Reflection

Princess of Heart
Awards
Hey all, recently I’ve been going through my favorite Square Enix games and trying to get platinum trophies for them. The other day I finally beat Sephiroth in the first Kingdom Hearts which took me way too long but always wanted to do since I was 13!

Which video game super bosses (meaning super powerful optional bosses) have you found memorable and fun? Or someday hope to beat?

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards

Taking an alternate route through the cave level of Power rangers the Movie on Genesis will land the player in a completely out of the blue encounter against a giant Lord Zedd in some random pocket dimension. Far from the toughest secret boss (hell the game is just about the easiest beat-em-up I've ever played) but sure is memorable for how unexpected it is.

D

Deleted member 252753

Even though they aren't difficult enough to be superbosses I remember finding the 8 dragons and Deathgaze from Final Fantasy VI really exciting. Partly because you knew they were out there but coming across them felt random and unexpected with Deathgaze being a random encounter in the air and the dragons being scattered around various dungeons across the World of Ruin. It was really cool that in the GBA version they added more powerful versions of the dragons and added the abandoned Kaiser Dragon for a proper superboss fight.

Clue.Less

Awards
Website
archiveofourown.org
FFX was the first RPG I ever played and I remember how shocked and thrilled I was upon encountering Dark Valefor for the first time. (The French name for those optional bosses made them even more awesome: "Chimères purgatrices") It's the easiest superboss of all, but it's one of my fondest video game memories. It felt like entering a whole new world of possibilities and challenges :)

I still haven't beat the Sephiroths! Maybe I'll join you soon in fulfilling those 13-year-old's dreams. I'm glad I've kept some stuff from past games to complete.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 252753

The French name for those optional bosses made them even more awesome: "Chimères purgatrices")
I played FFX in English but in my head the Dark Aeons will now be known as Chimères purgatrices! They definitely surprised me when I was walking around a familiar path in Spira and suddenly these imposing monsters appeared and wiped me out. I never beat any of them but maybe one day.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Gosh besides Kingdom Hearts all the games I played don’t really have superbosses.

The closest one for me would be Steven Stone in Emerald version. People usually pick Red as the harder superboss but his team can be defeated with level 50-60 Pokémon and items. Steven on the other hand uses sturdy and tanky Pokémon, and it doesn’t help that his signature Pokémon(Metagross) is a pseudo legendary.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I have several superbosses that rank among my favorites from different games. Superbosses are always a fun thing for me to go after. I love their inclusions in games.

Final Fantasy V: Omega. This was hard because FFV has so many good superbosses like Shinryu, Neo Shinryu, and Omega MK II. But I always have the most fun with the original Omega. Especially setting up the Thundaga Rapid Fire technique.

Final Fantasy IX: Ozma. A very frustratingly hard super boss due to how random it is, but when you win it's so rewarding.

Final Fantasy VIII: Omega Weapon. I use to not like this boss, but now I kinda like it.

Kingdom Hearts: Phantom. Another boss I use to hate but now really love. Honorable mention to Sephiroth.

Kingdom Hearts II: It's likely one of the Data fights. Either Data Roxas, Data Marluxia, or Data Lexaeus. All are tough but fun to fight. Again honorable mention to Sephiroth.

Kingdom Hearts III: Data Xion. Super hard but not unfair, once you learn it it flows perfectly.

As for superbosses I hope to someday defeat.

Final Fantasy III: Iron Giant. Can't fight it without a second FFIII game. Want to fight it.

Final Fantasy XII: Yiazmat. Never made it to this thing.

Kingdom Hearts II: Lingering Will. I have fought him but never beat him, and lost interest when ReMind came out. Someday I'll return to it.

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days: Dustflier. I have attempted it but like Lingering Will I failed. Someday I'll do it.

Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep: Whatever the superboss is. I never looked for it due to the PSP hurting my hands. Maybe on the PS4.

Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance: Same as BBS, but I haven't played it yet. When I do I'll hunt for superbosses.

Megaman Battle Network all games, all hidden bosses after the game: I'm not good enough to go beyond beating the main story. Hopefully someday I can to fight the superbosses.

Megaman Starforce, same as Battle Network.

Pokemon RSE, DPPt: Battle Frontier Brains. I dream of fighting these guys, but I'm not skilled to get through the numerous trainers to get to them due to the fixed 50 level limit so I have no unfair level advantage lol.

Reflection

Princess of Heart
Awards
I just watched my partner beat Yiazmat yesterday. :p Seemed like a chump!! Hehe. It helped he was very similar to another optional boss, Hell Wyrm. Seems like the big deal with both of them is how long they take mostly. But Yiazmat also has an instant death attack.

My biggest dreams now are Ozma, since FF9 was my first and favorite FF and then the Ruby and Emerald weapons.

I would love to do the dark aeons eventually but I’m afraid of how long it would take to completely sphere-grid everyone up enough to even survive lol.

D

Deleted member 252753

Kingdom Hearts III: Data Xion. Super hard but not unfair, once you learn it it flows perfectly.
Personally, Data Xion was just too fast for me so even though you could learn how to break her, I found that I kept losing long after I knew what I needed to do just because my hands would make a stupid mistake. I preferred the Data Master Xehanort and Yozora battles which were also very difficult but at a more manageable tempo. They are all great bosses though.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Personally, Data Xion was just too fast for me so even though you could learn how to break her, I found that I kept losing long after I knew what I needed to do just because my hands would make a stupid mistake. I preferred the Data Master Xehanort and Yozora battles which were also very difficult but at a more manageable tempo. They are all great bosses though.
So you went where she belonged eh? Much to learn you still have, young Padawan Dast

D

Deleted member 252753

So you went where she belonged eh? Much to learn you still have, young Padawan Dast
Well I did actually win eventually (on Critical) but I felt like my victory was a bit of a fluke, though beating Yozora was definitely a fluke too. I never really worked out his post-sphere phase but summoned Simba a lot.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Well I did actually win eventually (on Critical) but I felt like my victory was a bit of a fluke, though beating Yozora was definitely a fluke too. I never really worked out his post-sphere phase but summoned Simba a lot.
If I had a dime for every time I summoned Simba in the DLC I'd be able to buy a second PS4. I spam the heck out of Simba in half the boss fights. Especially the long DM's like Saix's. Simba isn't a fluke, my young padawan, he is the king! The Lion King to be exact :p

Back