• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► Favorite/Least Favorite Disney Animated Film

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Title says it all. What is your favorite and least favorite Disney animated film and why. For me its:

Favorite: Easily Fantasia. Beautiful animation and great segments. Plus the use of classical music for the segments instead of dialogue was really creative.

Least Favorite: Home on the Range. There is absolutely nothing memorable about this film character wise or story wise. It felt like Disney just didn`t give a crap.

BlackSeven

Awards
Personally I liked Lion King a lot, no idea why I just really watched a lot as a kid and thought the story was pretty sad.

Least favorite, probably Dumbo, not sure why but I never liked the film, something about it just seemed off to me.

Theart

Hyped Ruler of Honnouji Academy
Awards
Favorite: Beauty and the Beast. Always. I've watched that film so many times that I know practically every single line in that movie by heart. While it doesn't have Disney's absolute greatest song (Mulan has that distinction with "Make a Man Out of You") and it lacks the 'epic' factor that The Hunchback of Notre Dame had, BatB has probably the most well-rounded Disney soundtrack ever. All of the songs are brilliant and timeless, much like the characters themselves. When I hear the phrase "Disney Magic," I immediately think of this movie in particular.

Least Favorite: I haven't seen Home on the Range, so I can't give that film my vote. For a long time, my least favorite has probably been The Little Mermaid. I always hated the soundtrack as a kid (aside from "Poor Unfortunate Souls," that song is baller) and I also thought it was really dumb that Ariel was immediately willing to throw away her whole life just for a chance to try and woo someone she didn't really know much about. Watching it again as an adult made me like it a bit more, but it's ultimately a film that just doesn't resonate very much with me.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Favorite | Atlantis: The Lost Empire has to be my all-time favorite Disney film because of how much work went into building the world in the film. Crafting a brand new language, having Mike Mignola as one of the production designers, having Leonard Nimoy in it, and being a film based on Jules Verne's "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea"...This film was perfect to me.

I first watched this film on the Disney Channel during its premiere by myself in the living room because my mom was sleeping in the bedroom and I would usually watch my cartoons later on the weekends. I set up my blanket and pillow and camped out in front of the TV, my eyes glued to the screen as the film enchanted me. The underwater exploration scene was amazing and full of action, the comedy was dead on, and when Milo & Kida first meet, I knew I was in love with the film. The vibrant blues set against the subdued color scheme that could only best fit a dying world and the 1910s industrial age...

Also this is one of the most ethereal and magical moments in animation imo.

I did not sleep that night, drawing Kida in my notebook and rewatching the film during the encore. When I'm bored and decide not to watch Star Trek, this is usually my go-to film.

Least Favorite | I suppose Chicken Little is my least favorite film. I have watched it, I've read the children's book that Disney released for the film, I've tried watching it again and again, and no matter how much I see it I never remember what happened in the film after I've seen it. I have a pretty good memory, so not being able to remember this film (outside of the obvious stuff like "nobody believed Chicken Little", "he has a friend who is a fish", "aliens") is very odd. I've come to the conclusion that my inability to remember this film is due to the fact this film has absolutely nothing going for it. There is nothing that makes it a standout movie. No scenes that come off as memorable, nothing that makes it better than the story it is based on...

(I certainly didn't attempt to watch the film after Chicken Little was in Kingdom Hearts II. I watched it in 2008 at my friend's house when she decided to read the book to her baby sister and I said I had never seen it before)

I've seen Home on the Range and I don't remember it, either, but due to the fact I only seen it once makes it a poor candidate for my Least Favorite. It just doesn't even come on my radar. I suppose Dinosaurs also falls under this. I saw it once out of necessity because my friend was surprised I hadn't, and it wasn't anything I'd watch again. Bolt, too.

(Brother Bear and Meet the Robinsons were the best things to come from Disney's shit era, tbh)

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
While a Disney fan, I regrettably haven't seen them all yet. I find it very hard to pick favorites (always in everything) but anywhoo:

Favorite: I love the Disney Renaissance in general, but I guess for me the edge goes to either The Lion King or Alladin. I find their songs easier to remember and had some of the more likable characters (and Robin Williams). There was a period of time (and by that I mean several years) where me and my siblings would watch one of these (or both) close to monthly. Hell, twice a month even.
Honorable mention goes to Beauty and The Beast because it's diddlying Beauty and the Beast, Hercules because that one strikes a bit of a personal chord with me, The Great Mouse Detective because of nostalgia and Wreck It Ralph (see Hercules)

Least Favorite: Ah. Fun. These have been mentioned, but that probably just means that their reputation isn't undeserved: Chicken Little and Dinosaur. I found Dinosaur to be, well, boring. That's it, just boring. I like dinosaurs, but this is one movie about them I could've done without.
I've heard lots about Home on The Range, but haven't seen it yet. I will do, despite what I heard. I believe in fair shots.

(Brother Bear and Meet the Robinsons were the best things to come from Disney's shit era, tbh)
Good to see I'm not the only one with this opinion.

Shogo-Kun

Awards
Most Favorite Disney Film: It would have to be Beauty and the Beast. I always have fond memories of that film, plus the soundtrack is baller! Not to mention that Beast is arguably my favorite Disney character of all time.

Least Favorite Disney Film: That would have to go to Chicken Little. Honestly, that film is bad on so many levels it's not even funny. The character designs are shitty, the story is shitty, there is barely anything memorable from that movie, and I hated practically every character in that movie. I have to ask: why is this film even in the Disney Animated Canon?

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards
Most Favorite: This is kinda a hard one, but I'd have to go with Mulan, because it's the only disney movie that I know of where the female protagonist doesn't need saving.
Least Favorite: A toss between The Sword in the Stone and Dumbo. Those are the only classic ones I don't like. They just don't appeal to me.

Last edited:

gamerobber7

Bronze Member
Awards
Ha I was actually thinking about making this kind of thread. :p

Oof. This is tough for both. But here goes:
Favorite: I don't just have favorite movies but favorite decades. :p The movies from the 50's and 90's are so great and I like each and every one of them. But as for an overall favorite it's got to be The Lion King. I've probably seen it the most out of all of them, the characters are great, the songs are amazing, and the story is well told (not to mention the stampede scene D:).

Least Favorite: I like most every Disney film but I'll go with others in picking Home on the Range and Dinosaur since those are the two I remember and cared least for. While I have only seen both of them once each I still count them as my least favorite because the other films I've only seen once (Fantasia, The Rescuers, Hunchback of Notre Dame, etc.) have memorable scenes and characters that I can talk about while the two I listed above I couldn't tell you the names of characters or the basic plot really.

darkangelpeyton

Favorite: That's really hard, but I'd have to say Oliver & Company. I've always loved that movie. I love the characters, the songs, and just everything about it.

Least Favorite: This ones hard, too. There are a couple that I don't enjoy as much as others, but I'd have to say that my least favorite would be a tie between The Sword in the Stone and The Black Cauldron. Both of these movies I've always found boring and not that entertaining. I also don't find them that memorable. Whenever I'm thinking about Disney movies, I always forget about these two.

kmorris2609

My favorite animated Disney movie... I can't really pick an all-time favorite, but I can list my top ones.

As far as Disney Princesses, I love Aladdin and Little Mermaid. I also love Mulan, Tarzan, and A Goofy Movie.

My least favorites would have to be Cinderella, Jungle Book, and Dumbo. I never really had any interest in any of those, even after I saw them.

rawpower

King of the Wild Frontier
Awards
It's hard to pick a favorte... but pretty easy to pick my least favorite.

Favorite: Going to have to go with The Fox and the Hound. I've always loved this movie. When I was a kid, I would watch it almost every day. I never got sick of it. Some of my other favorites include Beauty and the Beast, Peter Pan, Aladdin and Hercules.

Disney movies that suck major balls: A gigantic tie between Home on the Range and Chicken Little. Those movies were so bad they actually pissed me off when I watched them. I couldn't believe that such an enormous pile of shit could come from Disney studios. That stupid chicken even made it in as a summon in KH2.

MegaCore5

Awards
My Favorite is definitely The Emperors New Grove "you through off my groove!" "Sorry but you threw off the emperors groove" AAAHHHHHhhhh............

My least favorite Disney film is the adventures of Ichabod and Mr. toad.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I love several Disney films and like most of the others, but my favorite is definitely The Little Mermaid. It's one of those films that even after you grow up you still love. All the characters, the music, and the animation are perfect for me. I also have a personal attachment to Hercules and (strange one I know, but) The Sword in the Stone. Pinocchio, Cinderella, Dalmatians, Mulan, TLK, TP&TF, and Frozen are others in my top favorites right now.

My absolute least favorite is Brother Bear. Everything about that film like a less-entertaining re-hash of '90s movies and the characters are all unbearable (partly because most of the voice actors are grating, too). Other films I'm not too very fond of, to varying degrees: Chicken Little, Home On the Range, Bolt, Lilo & Stitch, Tangled, The Hunchback of Notre Dame (despite Tony Jay and the phenomenal soundtrack), Peter Pan.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Favorite: Beauty and the Beast. It is the best representation of Disney doing everything right. It's a timeless storytelling piece of art!

Worst: Chicken Little. Never in my life have I felt embarrassed that I was watching a Disney movie until this atrocity was created.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
My Favorite Disney Movie - This is a hard one for me. My taste in movies has changed a lot as I've gotten older, and some of the things I used to be meh about now seem more amazing. I think I can list a top five, in no particular order, but I simply cannot narrow it down further.

Alladin --- Ah this movie. As a child this was my single favorite movie (After the Don Bluth animated movies but since those are not Disney they don't count...). The songs are so memorable and the characters and setting are grand. Even the sequels and TV show had the hidden treasure charm of finding jewels and such in an Arabian cave. One of the things I appreciate in the Disney Rennaisance movies was the attention to crisp sound design. Not the music, but the clapping of footsteps and the poof of magic. The growling of rocks in the Cave of Wonders is a great moment of that. Have any of you felt that sensation of feeling like you're there due to just listening?

The Lion King --- Again, the crispness in the rocks as they tap around at the beginning of the Stampede scene is jaw dropping. The story in this was beautiful, and felt truly epic. Scar, Simba, Timon and Pumbaa, everyone was memorable.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame --- The music. THE MUSIC. As I child I didn't have as much of an appreciation for this one, but now it is by far more resounding. I like how all of the songs in the movie are really just parts to "The Bells of Notre Dame" if you listen close enough. It gives the movie an operatic feel to it to go with the powerful narrative. "Hellfire" is my favorite villain song ever.

Wreck-it Ralph --- This one is a newer one, and gets the spot here because it came so out of left field with such a nostalgic power to it. Being a gamer myself, it was nice to actually have a good video game movie for once. XD

Zootopia --- Can't talk about this one too much without spoiling it but. Just yes.

My Least Favorite Disney Movie - This would actually have to go to Home on the Range. I just can't seem to remember anything standing out in it, any good songs, or what the story was aside from cows trying to save their farm by capturing an outlaw.

Ree

Favorite: Lion King
Least: Chicken Little, Home on the Range (Planes gets an honorable mention

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Favorite(s): My opinion varies from time to time, but it is currently Beauty and The Beast. This movie is just timeless with beautiful animation, well-developed and funny characters, and classic music. My favorite part of the movie is definitely when Mrs. Potts sings "Beauty and The Beast". It was just so damn magical, as that is what you would expect from Disney.

An honorable mention goes to Mulan as well. Mulan is just a very strong female lead. Mushu is a hilarious character, I prefer him over Genie from Aladdin, actually. And the song, "Make a Man Out of You" is one of my favorite Disney songs, I can totally understand why it's popular on the internet.

I guess the other honorable mention goes to The Little Mermaid? When I was younger, I watched this more than any other Disney film along with Cinderella, but my god, Ariel is such an idiot, more than I remember actually.

Least Favorite(s): Most of the Disney sequels, definitely.

But if that doesn't count then I don't know actually. I would mostly go with Home on The Range. It's just so... forgettable. I mean, I liked Maggie, but the others are just bland. The story isn't that great either, even for a Disney film. I guess I could try and watch it again, it's been a while since I've seen it, but I don't really remember 100% enjoying this film.

Maybe Dumbo is an honorable mention? This movie was kinda boring. I mean, the pink elephant scene was entertaining at least, and the film isn't bad, but it totally isn't my favorite.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Absolute all-time favorite is and probably always will be The Lion King. It hit just about everything that an animated musical needed: memorable songs, beautiful animation, an above-average story, and an excellent villain.
I should mention Cinderella, Dumbo, and Lilo & Stitch. All of these movies were pretty huge parts of my childhood. Oh, gotta mention Mulan because that "I'll Make a Man Out of You" song won't get out of my head. Zootopia's definitely up there as well, despite it being relatively new.

Least favorite... well, I've never actually watched the usual suspects (Brother Bear, Black Cauldron, Chicken Little), and I'm actually okay with Home On the Range because I watched that many times as a kid. (Yeah, I remember stuff from it, I watched it that much...)

So, out of what I've watched... I'd say Snow White. Yeah, I know that it was the first of its kind, and any moment with The Evil Queen is pretty great, but other than that, it's a story that could be told in five minutes, stretched into a feature-length by filler animation. I can appreciate it, but I won't watch it on my own time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back