• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Favorite Era of Kingdom Hearts

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Awards
KH1/COM/KH2 were the best games in the series gameplay and writing wise, so I'll run with them. I'll never forget the BBS hype then disappointment when its gameplay was weak, though. Absolute greatest secret ending coming on through:

MAAAANNN I used to watch that KH2FM secret ending for BBS EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Just cuz it got me so hype!!

Then the actual BBS came out and I was like..... "Meh, not bad"

But yeah, hard to argue with the original era being the best all around. I do like where the series can potentially go from here, post KH3, but I guess we'll find out soon enough

Awards
Flowmotion is the single worst thing to have been added to Kingdom Hearts and not only did it completely run 3D breaking the game to skyrim levels, it still annoyed me deeply in 3 even after it was toned down.

Regarding the games being on multiple handhelds, it helped as much as it hurt, honestly. It helped increase the popularity of the franchise by having it on so many places.

Welp, I guess Flowmotion isn't for everybody lol

but yeah the handheld games had their good points, but I still think they should've just kept everything on one handheld console, or even take a longer development time to put all the games on home consoles from the start.

Awards
Favorite era in regards of hype was the handled Era. When I got into the series Kh2 was already confirmed to be a thing in the future, so the handles were the first time I went from not knowing what would come from next to be waiting for 3 games (actually two because who cared about coded). Sadly, I don't know what I was expecting, but the marketing and the Disney worlds chosen for DDD didn't make me go insane about that Era. The last part before the release of KH3 and the months prior to remind were also some of my favorites.

In regards of the games themself, I gotta say I have one game I'm very fond of in all of them except for the DDD/remixes, so all of them count.

I don't know why people keep putting together KH1 with com and 2 except for maybe nostalgia . Yes, they are the direct sequels to KH1, but production, storyline, pacing, mechanics and combat... Everything changed after KH1. Kh1 was clearly made to be self contained in case it didn't work. Kh2 was already made with the sense of a series in mind. I see more similarities with KH1 en other games that I see in Kh2, tbh.

For me, the connection between KH1, COM, and KH2 are less about gameplay similarities, and more about the contained narrative they tell.

In KH1 Sora Kairi, and Riku plan to go on a journey together, but get separated from their home and each other.

In COM Riku and Sora find each other, but due to the eventual villains of KH2, Sora is indisposed, and RIku has to look after him before they can go home and reunite with Kairi

by the end of KH2 they finally reunite and come home together having experienced the journey they tried to set on together from the beginning and they've all grown and become stronger because of it.

Even though KH2 was made with the developers knowing they would probably be asked to continue the series, KH2 ends everything set up from KH1 with a pretty tight bow. It's not until the Handheld era that the bow gets unraveled so that there could be a plot for KH3

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
KH1-CoM-KH2 was the best era, even if 2 is so inferior to those other two. It felt like the series was an actual series back then. Then it was like Nomura got lost in the wilderness for 10-20 years until 3 came. I did love 3D though, and I kind of consider it and 3 two halves of one story.

Grey Skies

Awards
We can of course debate on the borders of each era or reject it altogether, but from the eras Scoobert_Doobert defined, my favorite has always been the original trilogy because it contains two of my three favorite games in the series, KH1 and the original CoM.

My least favorite era is from 2012 to the present. Before this time I was a hardcore KH fan. I don't have a 3DS, PS4, or Xbox One. If these games came out on PC I'd play them in a heartbeat, but they don't look so great that I'd buy a new console just to be able to play them. Both the writing and gameplay have always looked sub-standard to me, and the writing was already iffy since KH2. Plus my vision is getting worse and the newer games have busier graphics that are harder for me to parse. I've tried X/Chi, but I found it incredibly boring from a gameplay perspective. I'll probably give these games a shot at some point. I might really like them.

I started the series in 2002 pretty much as soon as the first game came out. I coincidentally always had the right consoles to play the games up until 3D came out, unless we count V-Cast or the original Coded. I was happy for everyone when the remaster compilations started coming out. In fact I'm still really happy that most of the series can now be played on a single console.

Swing

Awards
The Original Era is my personal favorite era of the KH series. The Disney worlds and characters played at least in the first game a huge role and could also contribute something to the story, the story was also simpler back than and not overfilled with to many characters and twists, the Heartless where the main enemy group, the original characters were designed with big feet, and the best part of all, Disney didn't meddle too much. I think after KH2, Disney took way to much control over the KH property, which explains why the Disney stuff feels so meaningless now.

Last edited:
Back