• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► Fan Fiction Suggestions Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

GuardianOfHearts

Darkrooms and safelights
Sitting inside the viewfinder of a camera, watchin
This section is just fine the way it is; a contest wouldn't really do any good for it.

No, it's not: the fan fiction section hasn't been "fine" for a while now.

I've only been on KHI for a while now ... back before it was KHI actually, when it was just KH2.net. I started out in this section, and while I've drifted away, I still look back on memories where this was my KHI home.

Trust me, I've seen it progress, a lot. In early '05, it was a small and tight-knit community. There were a few good, long-term fics up where we all congregated: one big family. People like my own dear Krazy will remember those times, but not many others, because most of the good old crowd {Kingdom Clasm, DaRkNeSs2LiGhT, Winged Mirage} has left KHI forever.

Then, during the late summer/fall of that same year, a lot new people started pouring in. Like some kind of cyber migration. This section changed forever. There were a lot more people, and that was good, but there was also a lot more spam, and equally spam-fics. Quality of fics went down. Animosity rose.

I'm not saying the fan fiction section isn't good now. But compared to the place I used to know and love, it isn't the same, and I'm not happy with it. I've been watching its decadence from afar. A lot of us veterens have, and we've been talking about a revival lately.

And the question still remains: how do we spark this revival?

I think I'm a little too late. I doubt anyone here really knows me, but, as I've mentioned, my name used to be inseperable from Fan Fiction Forum. Not now: now I'm a role-playing fiend. So my word probably doesn't carry much weight anymore.

Listen anyway.

Everyone needs to stop worrying about how many people read their story and how many people review: STOP spamming everywhere just badgering others to read your own fics. A post of "ths is gr8 keep it up oh ya i have a fic to can u read it plz" means nothing.

What writers here need to be worrying about is the quality of their own work. Make it something admirable and worthwhile: that in itself will help to improve this section.

)-(The Anomaly)-(

So, what i understand it, We don;t need contests and prizes yet. Save those, to keep people interested, when we've revived this section. How would we go back to having just a few good, and long stories for the public to enjoy? There are really good new stories, and old favs. I know some of the veterans may not like the way things have played out, so maybe, we, veterans included, could try making quality stories again. Just a thought, but a writing team. Yes i know the risks of it, but a team of writers who go over some plots and type a story together might be nice. You nominate five to ten people a certain time period and then let them made a collab FF. Then in the next interval, a new set of experience writers make a story...*shrugs*

Shadowysights

Screw that action
Awards
No, it's not: the fan fiction section hasn't been "fine" for a while now.

I've only been on KHI for a while now ... back before it was KHI actually, when it was just KH2.net. I started out in this section, and while I've drifted away, I still look back on memories where this was my KHI home.

Trust me, I've seen it progress, a lot. In early '05, it was a small and tight-knit community. There were a few good, long-term fics up where we all congregated: one big family. People like my own dear Krazy will remember those times, but not many others, because most of the good old crowd {Kingdom Clasm, DaRkNeSs2LiGhT, Winged Mirage} has left KHI forever.

Then, during the late summer/fall of that same year, a lot new people started pouring in. Like some kind of cyber migration. This section changed forever. There were a lot more people, and that was good, but there was also a lot more spam, and equally spam-fics. Quality of fics went down. Animosity rose.

I'm not saying the fan fiction section isn't good now. But compared to the place I used to know and love, it isn't the same, and I'm not happy with it. I've been watching its decadence from afar. A lot of us veterens have, and we've been talking about a revival lately.

And the question still remains: how do we spark this revival?

I think I'm a little too late. I doubt anyone here really knows me, but, as I've mentioned, my name used to be inseperable from Fan Fiction Forum. Not now: now I'm a role-playing fiend. So my word probably doesn't carry much weight anymore.

Listen anyway.

Everyone needs to stop worrying about how many people read their story and how many people review: STOP spamming everywhere just badgering others to read your own fics. A post of "ths is gr8 keep it up oh ya i have a fic to can u read it plz" means nothing.

What writers here need to be worrying about is the quality of their own work. Make it something admirable and worthwhile: that in itself will help to improve this section.

Considering when you joined; it doesn't seem like it was good for long. But it must of been very good if you would post something like that.

I looked up those names; it looks the same as now except nobodys wineing about how many people are posting, or their fics post count.

I've only seen this the way it is now, so I don't what good is; so I just go with "fine"

Thelonepickle

I don't like bugs!
^Fics back then used proper grammar and had storylines that didn't depend half as much on their fanbase as the fics today do. It was higher quality stuff, whether or not your biased eyes can see the differences.

There are a lot of good writers here, and a lot of promising writers, too, but they're being drowned by all the "LOL KN i HEB A CAMEO?!?!" and "i THINK TEH STRY SHUD GO LAEK DiS!" to grow.

The fics will get better if the environment changes from, "I have more reviews than you do, my fic is better" to "I love your storylines, and I'm proud of my own work, too."

EDIT: GoH didn't say it STARTED being good when she joined. It was great before us, it was great when we started, it was great up until the migration. Duh.

Mason Stark

TICK TOCK, KID!
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Okayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy then. Back on topic please! And I'm deleting all the spammy off-topic posts. ...Just so you know. D:

And, if I try to jump back in here, I'm more likely to stumble around than actually leap. xD; So, I'm keeping an eye on the thread for now. But... comments? I say: LISTEN TO THE VETS. I respect each and every one of them and they are the ones that made this section in the first place. They know more about this than anyone else, so... listen to all of them!

One more comment... acein12: if the threads are mostly spammy, then why haven't you said anything about which ones they are? You all SERIOUSLY need to get onto your feet with reporting things; if there's spam, it needs to be taken care of but I don't know what to take care of unless someone says something. Yes, I definitely depend on you guys for that sort of thing. This section isn't going to get any better until you all start 'talking'. .-. */rant*

Thelonepickle

I don't like bugs!
See, now we're all spamming. Fantastic.

The problems with having Awards are usually this:

-Sore losers
-Sore winners
-Having too many categories so that EVERYONE wins
-Not being handled well enough. Ex: No set deadline, or one that gets pushed back a lot.
-The whining that follows from the people who didn't vote and such. "Not fair, I missed it, no fair!" kinda things.

Just a warning that that stuff usually happens. But it does tend to help boost popularity. It can get messy, though. They can be fun, when everyone agrees, but when does that happen?

EDIT: Thanks, Rena.

Joy

Bronze Member
I still believe holding a story contest would be an excellent idea, and will get peple more into the section again.

I mean, yeah, I was never really into the section, but that was because I was never even in the forum as a whole. I don't know what those "Golden Days" were like, but I would like to see this forum become active again with quality. I would like to see fics get reviews with constructive criticism, I'd like to see everyone helping each other out.

GuardianOfHearts

Darkrooms and safelights
Sitting inside the viewfinder of a camera, watchin
I also believe that a story contest would be, well, kinda cool. I don't really care about getting more people interested: if what I've seen is true, then we have enough people. What I want to see is ... a sense of community.

A story contest- NOT an Awards -would get a bunch of people participating together and would help in the long run. Especially if we make it lighthearted- it doesn't need to be a serious to-the-death competition, just something we can laugh over and enjoy writing for.

snowdog

is a girl
Awards
n. 1. a place of settlement, activity, or residenc
^ Exactly. The point of this section is to have fun with writing.

Although, I wanted to add that it's kinda degrading to the newer writers of this section to say that this section was better before more people joined. Just because someone is newer than a veteran does not mean to say they can't become good writers themselves. It isn't fair to say that the section isn't as good as it used to be because of the 'migration', as I saw it called somewhere.

The fanfiction section, like any other section of the site, is only as good as the members make it. We have to make it better. How can we do that? Helping eachother improve as writers, and I think we should maybe try to work on that. Like, make a rule against simple "ZOMG THAT CHAPTAR WAS AWESOME!1!" posts?

I still like the contest idea. =3 And the idea to make the subforums.

~<3

Last edited:

TheLastKnight

You Swear To Listen
Website
s9.invisionfree.com
I believe a contest would be great, just keep sore losers, and winners who like to brag OUT.

How would it go? would only completeted Fanfics be able to join?

If you HATE loosing, and you're going to whine about it...don't participate...and just say, congrats on winning, that's all ya need to say, or better yet...just don't say anything...

If you would need help with that, like getting Participants, PM me.

giuocob

I also like the idea of a group of veterans whose names would be stickied that newer members can PM for help on their fictions. They could also come together to right one, giant, epic collab.

TheLastKnight

You Swear To Listen
Website
s9.invisionfree.com
Let me know when it starts, I'd like to enter one, Idk which one though...
"Another Story" or "Symphonic Darkness" or does it have to be completed?

if so, I'd have to have "Another Story" cause I just now finished it...

I

The Show Must Go On
I also like the idea of a group of veterans whose names would be stickied that newer members can PM for help on their fictions. They could also come together to right one, giant, epic collab.

That's actually not a bad idea... though I still have my qualms over it. While a sticky would be great with all that information, I'd be concerned about all the possible accusations of flaming that could pop up - yes, someone could ask a one of the members on the list for advice about something, and chances are, they might not like what they get in return - the best advice isn't sugarcoated. One thing I can truthfully say about the majority of writing community is this: they don't like criticism, regardless of how helpful it may be. (Personally, as a writer and a critic, I'm usually left completely nonplussed when someone asks me for advice only to turn their nose up at it and insist I don't know what I'm talking about - it gets slightly annoying after a while.)

A giant, epic collab with all the veterans sounds great and all, but it's much easier said than done. Just think about how long it would take to bring together - you would definitely have to plan out the entire story before hand, and assign parts to write to each separate person; also, for each subsequent part to be written, each person would have to know exactly what happened in the previous chapters - yes, you're supposed to have all of the story planned out (Seriously, all of it. Most likely every action.), but if one person doesn't stick with the plan, it could ruin the entire thing. I'd suggest sticking with two people for collabs, it's much easier to fix afterwards.

Last edited:

TheLastKnight

You Swear To Listen
Website
s9.invisionfree.com
^^ true to dat man, just keep all the dumb people, who are sore losers, OUT! Just let maybe like, 4 people do it...or 2 or 3

I would love to partake in that, but People would have to have a vote THAT'S A GOOD IDEA!

Here: We start a new thread, somewhere...and we post member's name's as Poll Options, and we close the vote about 20 or 30 days later

Only people they nominate!

giuocob

That's actually not a bad idea... though I still have my qualms over it. While a sticky would be great with all that information, I'd be concerned about all the possible accusations of flaming that could pop up - yes, someone could ask a one of the members on the list for advice about something, and chances are, they might not like what they get in return - the best advice isn't sugarcoated. One thing I can truthfully say about the majority of writing community is this: they don't like criticism, regardless of how helpful it may be. (Personally, as a writer and a critic, I'm usually left completely nonplussed when someone asks me for advice only to turn their nose up at it and insist I don't know what I'm talking about - it gets slightly annoying after a while.)

A giant, epic collab with all the veterans sounds great and all, but it's much easier said than done. Just think about how long it would take to bring together - you would definitely have to plan out the entire story before hand, and assign parts to write to each separate person; also, for each subsequent part to be written, each person would have to know exactly what happened in the previous chapters - yes, you're supposed to have all of the story planned out (Seriously, all of it. Most likely every action.), but if one person doesn't stick with the plan, it could ruin the entire thing. I'd suggest sticking with two people for collabs, it's much easier to fix afterwards.
First, well, that's the problem of the people who are the flaming the people trying to help them. Those are the sort of people we don't want in this section at all. If it got too out of hand, we could give out warning points for people who flamed people trying to give constructive advice.

And yeah, I know a giant collab would be hard work, but if it brought a ton of eager readers and writers into this section, it might be worth it.

Joy

Bronze Member
For the topic where people would ask for tips and such. I don't think having members answer would be the best of ideas. Like stated earlier, many members become angry when something negative is said about their story. My suggestion is to create a list of things that could be improved on. We can look at a variety of fics, and decide what the general public's problems are, and list those. If the member asking for help's problem is not listed, then they may ask a member.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back