written in the stars
Famitsu spoke to KINGDOM HEARTS series producer Ichiro Hazama, KINGDOM HEARTS series director Tetsuya Nomura, and KINGDOM HEARTS Melody of Memory co-director Masanobu Suzui about the development of KINGDOM HEARTS Melody of Memory, revealing that Chirithy was intended to be the original narrator for Melody of Memory, COVID-19 caused issues for the game, there are no plans for DLC, and the next KINGDOM HEARTS project is currently in development.
Full translations will be available soon. Thanks to Antifa Lockhart, we have a summarized list of key points from the Famitsu interview. You can read them below:
- The Theatrythm team has wanted a KINGDOM HEARTS game for some time and proposals began about five years ago.
- Special attention has been paid to make this game feel like an extension of the rest of the series, from character animation to the sound of the cursor.
- Though this game doesn't use the stylized chibi designs, they do make cameo appearances in the menus and have been rigged so they have fluid wiggles and wobbles.
- You can tell from the key art that Kairi is considered the main character of this story, though Nomura was working on it right up until the deadline.
- Originally, Chirithy was going to be the narrator but Nomura decided Kairi was more appropriate, and when he asked his team to make new cutscenes for this game they were surprised but did it anyway.
- There are no secret episodes or movies, everyone gets the same content regardless.
- To keep up with the theme of KINGDOM HEARTS as an action series, the gameplay broke from the tradition of side-scrolling and took on the same appearance as the 15th anniversary memorial music box. Still, special consideration had to be paid to avoid players from feeling motion sickness.
- There are over 140 songs, and choosing them was difficult. Suzui used the concerts' setlists as a guide for popularity then made edits based on what was appropriate for the story.
- There are 47 normal worlds, 16 of which are "Kingdom Hearts" worlds, and 31 of which are Disney worlds. In addition to that, there are about 33 boss arenas.
- If you follow the story and play through the world trips to get to the end quickly, it should still take about 10 hours.
- COVID-19 made some things difficult, mostly being able to record overseas but they were able to make it work.
- Nomura is keeping in mind that 2022 is the 20th anniversary of the KINGDOM HEARTS series.
- The team's been working on the next project and he can't say when new announcements are coming but they'll be amazing.
- There are no plans to add new songs or any DLC, the team wants this to be a definitive omnibus for the series.
Follow Kingdom Hearts Insider on Facebook and Twitter for the latest updates on Kingdom Hearts Union χ [Cross], Kingdom Hearts Dark Road, Kingdom Hearts III, Kingdom Hearts Melody of Memory, and all things Kingdom Hearts and The World Ends With You!