• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Cartoon/TV ► Falcon and the Winter Soldier (2021)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Idk, tackling institutional and systemic racism isn’t that safe haha
True, though I think it'll only flirt with it instead of fully diving into it. Though I'd be happy to be proven otherwise.

The comics do have a history of getting pretty political, it'd be cool to see the MCU delve into that too. But I feel like by the end of the day it'll be racist individuals instead of racist systems once more.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
True, though I think it'll only flirt with it instead of fully diving into it. Though I'd be happy to be proven otherwise.

The comics do have a history of getting pretty political, it'd be cool to see the MCU delve into that too. But I feel like by the end of the day it'll be racist individuals instead of racist systems once more.
Maybe...

I don’t want to spoil anything if nobody saw it during the credits but we are going to be getting an interesting character that isn’t USAgent, and I don’t think there is any way to dance around these themes at an institutional level because of this.

I don’t think Disney will call racism by its name, though. They absolutely are too afraid to do that. They didn’t in Black Panther even though they got close with the subject of imperialism and poverty/crime in black communities...

D

Deleted member 246005

Idk, tackling institutional and systemic racism isn’t that safe haha
I meant in terms of tone. Its the traditional action comedy the MCU tends to be known for. Granted I'm curious how they handle that stuff. The MCU has dabbled in politics before in WS/CW and Black Panther but the show might have more room to do it well.

KingdomKurdistan

Awards
I don’t think Disney will call racism by its name, though.

Why should they? It's not because they're afraid it's because telling not showing is something Marvel is moving away from.

I don't think being so blatant is brave. It would be self-conscious and slightly cowardly from an artistic perspective if they did.

I always find films that have most to say about social issues don't actually state things. Things are made overt and on-the-nose when they don't have the artistry to express those words in abstractions. If it was was an ABC drama then they'd be less subtle.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Why should they? It's not because they're afraid it's because telling not showing is something Marvel is moving away from.

I don't think being so blatant is brave. It would be self-conscious and slightly cowardly from an artistic perspective if they did.

I always find films that have most to say about social issues don't actually state things. Things are made overt and on-the-nose when they don't have the artistry to express those words in abstractions. If it was was an ABC drama then they'd be less subtle.
I do agree with the sentiment that they should show, not tell, but all weekend I’ve have seen nothing but confusion on various discussion boards and social mediawhere people have missed the very obvious hints of what the show is addressing.

Before I went online and saw reactions, I thought it was super obvious and way too on-the-nose. After reactions hit, I realized that without it being blatantly stated, people can’t seem to grasp the concept.

More artistry would be nice because it creates a more thoughtful and creative product, but also people are straight up stupid or willfully ignorant. Sometimes they need this stuff put in their face or they will miss it/choose to miss it.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Agreed artistry is nice, but often it muddies the message so much people either miss the point or rationalize it with other explaination.

Sometimes things have to be staited outright or people might walk away thinking your romantic couple are just very good friends, because they are the same gender.

KingdomKurdistan

Awards
If people don't "get it" then tough. Meaning is given to art by the viewer, not the author. Wandavision lends itself to so many interpretations and readings because it choses images over words.

Otherwise we'd have an essay with one single reading and that's not art.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
So annoyed I have to wait until next week to
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I take everything I said back (partially since they gotta stick the landing in the next 4 episodes)

Wow they are not pulling the punches. I felt visceral anger multiple times this episode so thanks to Malcolm Spellman and Kari Skogland for actually tackling racism. And Bucky gets it but he’s also dealing with his own feelings of being unworthy, so he says the wrong shit and he knows he hurt Sam’s feelings and Isaiah like wtf this is effective storytelling

I will say I didn’t like the flow of this episode like episode 1. It was a bit off in places like I was missing context for the chain of events...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 246005

I liked Bucky as the White Wolf and its a decent replacement for the Winter Soldier. Just shorten it to Wolf and we are golden.

Walker is nicer here than when he first pops up. He started out as jingiostic parody of conservativism so I'm glad they toned it down for his intro.

I'm glad they stuck to their guns. They don't hold back.

This is what they referenced-

Last edited by a moderator:

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
This was a decent episode. I'm honestly surprised with how straight forward they're addressing the race issues, I was expecting it to be watered down a lot more than it has been so far.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Spoiler Spoiler Show

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

This is the oddest headline I've seen today, but the idea came about because Bucky has been seeing a lot of tiger photos on whatever dating apps he's been using, and the photo with tigers thing is done mostly by men. People have now assumed this means Bucky is seeing profiles from men and women.

I mean, since the show has the balls to address racism, it should have the balls to make Bucky bi. I'm not holding my breath, though haha

Anyways, back on theories:

I don't think Walker is enhanced...yet. I think the government is probably trying to get their hands on the serum and it will be used on Walker and make him hella aggro and probably beat the shit out of the wrong person. Everybody will find out and that'll lead to the title of Cap being stripped from him.

Since the Flash Smashers probably aren't the real bad guys, it makes me wonder who Power Broker will end up being played by and how they are going to handle him in the MCU overall.

Willow A113

Awards

This is the oddest headline I've seen today, but the idea came about because Bucky has been seeing a lot of tiger photos on whatever dating apps he's been using, and the photo with tigers thing is done mostly by men. People have now assumed this means Bucky is seeing profiles from men and women.

I mean, since the show has the balls to address racism, it should have the balls to make Bucky bi. I'm not holding my breath, though haha

Anyways, back on theories:

I don't think Walker is enhanced...yet. I think the government is probably trying to get their hands on the serum and it will be used on Walker and make him hella aggro and probably beat the shit out of the wrong person. Everybody will find out and that'll lead to the title of Cap being stripped from him.

Since the Flash Smashers probably aren't the real bad guys, it makes me wonder who Power Broker will end up being played by and how they are going to handle him in the MCU overall.
What did the writer say? I'm afraid of clicking on the article because of spoilers.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
What did the writer say? I'm afraid of clicking on the article because of spoilers.

He just said he isn’t going to dive into any rabbit holes but that we should all keep watching the show wink wink. Who knows what that means, though lol

Again, I won’t believe anything until I actually see it done.

Willow A113

Awards
He just said he isn’t going to dive into any rabbit holes but that we should all keep watching the show wink wink. Who knows what that means, though lol

Again, I won’t believe anything until I actually see it done.
Has Sabastion Stan come out with his sexuality? If he's straight they might not have done it but if he's bisexual irl, they might've made the character bi.

AegisXIII

Awards
Has Sabastion Stan come out with his sexuality? If he's straight they might not have done it but if he's bisexual irl, they might've made the character bi.
It's Disney we are talking about. They are always taking about how some characters are secretely gays in the interviews, but nothing happens on screen. They are afraid to take narrative risks and that's why in my opinion everything they do feel so empty these days.
Then if i am wrong and Bucky turns out bi, I will gladely swallow my words.
Note that I still have to watch episode 1. XD

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Its their go to quote when referring to sexuality. Same shit happened with Rise of Skywalker.

Back