• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► externship or summer?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xiao

serious at least all of the time
Awards
So I applied for an externship a couple weeks ago through my school. It involves going to Germany for three weeks and helping to teach english there to people corporate businesses. It's only open to freshman and sophomores at my school, and there's a good chance that I might get it.

Now, I really want to get it, but also I kind of don't...
PROS
-3 weeks in Germany, hello.
-it will look awesome on resumes, etc.
-I'll get better and hopefully more fluent in german
-My mom, sister, and grandmother will be in italy at the time, i could take a day off and hang with them

CONS
-it starts right after my spring quarter ends, which is in june, which means my summer won't start til july
-I have to pay for the airline tickets (i dont get paid for the externship)
-My mom and my sister will be gone at that time too, and my dad wanted to take me to florida at that time. if i get the externship, he'll be all alone and i'll feel guilty.
-My job at home might not be secure... since other college kids will be home in May to start working again, and I won't be there til July.

Halp.

Last edited:

krexia

Translator
Awards
Re: Flipping the @#$% out

I'm always going to say that any opportunity to live in another country is worth jumping at. In this case it looks like the Germany trip offers you a bunch of long-term benefits (resume, language skills, general experience) at the possible expense of some short-term ones (expense, summer holiday, job). I'd consider the former more important. If you're worried about your dad, talk it over with him - but I'm sure he'll support you in anything that's good for your future. Likewise, if you're worried about your job, try asking your boss about it.

NumberVIII

I agree with krexia. It looks to me like the pros outweigh the cons. I'm sure your dad will understand how important this is, and maybe you can make it up to him when you get back. And maybe you can try to talk to your boss and work it out with him/her.

Xiao

Awards

Yeah, I've decided that if I get it. I'm going for it.

I get my letter today. We'll see how this goes.

Xiao

Awards

DOUBLE POST ALRIGHTTT.

So I got the externship.

I told my best friend who wasn't too happy.
I'm not too happy either. I know its a fantastic opportunity but I'm already away at school and I don't want to miss out on time with my best friends. I'm afraid I'll be gone so long that things will change. It's not so bad when they're all in school too, but starting in May they won't be. I won't be back til July.

Xiao

Awards
Yeah I'm definitely going for it.

I just need help to stop worrying about what I mentioned =\

nelly <3

wayfarer~
Website
www.facebook.com
You're future is the most important thing the world.

Take me for example. I'm moving to Utah because I have a much better job offer at salt lake city airport. I'm going to be leaving, 3 really good friends and one best friend. The thing is, I'm going to miss them soo much. It kinda makes me not want to go in the first place. But I choose my future over them. As long as you keep your stuff together and in touch with them. You're going to be okay.

Don't get me wrong, I love my friends. but if they're you're true friends they'll understand and they'll happily be waiting for you when you come back.

out of all my so called good friends.... only my best friend is the one i really care about, vice-versa too. We're both going to miss each other. but We're going to be sooo happy to see each other next time comes around. Me and her thrive everyday to see each other.

So yeah, if they're your true friends, they'll be waiting for you.

So don't sweat it, I'm going to quote my best friends' words: "I know friends come and go, but I'll know We're always going to be together"

I cried when she said that. lol.

So people DO come and go. And if that happens, that's why you meet new people.

You're future is the thing that's going to get you somewhere, Your friends its just a close bond that you have, it shouldnt interfere from doing what you want to do.

Xiao

Awards
I know that, but it's SO important to me that my best friend remains a major part of my life.
Logically, I know that nothing will change and we'll pick up right where we left of when I get back. I just feel so paranoid about it.

I guess it's just that I want this summer to be a repeat of last summer. I was out with my friends every single day (there were maybe three days out of the whole summer where I just stayed home). I've really never been happier in my entire life.

And then there's the part of me that is wondering why I'm so paranoid that things will change. If the friendship is as strong as I know it is, I shouldn't be worrying. Yet I still do.

I'm confirming my participation in the externship tomorrow.

NumberVIII

I know you're gonna miss them, and it's gonna suck not seeing them till July, but you can still call them and skype with them every day, and then when you get home you can still spend every day in July and most of August with them. Just keep reminding yourself that. It's not like you're going to lose them, and you still get over a month to be with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back