• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Expert mode advice

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

kaseykockroach

Awards
I'm considering KH1FM on Expert Mode for the first time (I always played this one on Standard and KH2 on Proud). Any recommendations or words of caution? Such as, for example, whether I should pick the sword, shield or staff.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
KH1 proud is painful.
You get all the downsides of difficult enemies, slow leveling and all that shit, but unlike KH2, you don't really get many upsides (I forgot if there's more in FM, but overall, it's just really harsh).
You're gonna want to pick either staff or shield, and DROP sword in ANY case. What you pick is ultimately up to you - I prefer the staff as it makes dealing with enemies like Maleficent dragon a ton less painful. Besides, most things will probably one- or two-hit kill you even with shield, it's only worth it because of earlier leaf bracer and second chance.

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
If you're going for the post-game content and extra bosses and such pick staff, otherwise shield. Staff gives you extra MP which you can't get otherwise, which makes a lot of the late stuff easier. Shield gives better abilities faster, so if you want to get Second Chance definitely go for shield. Have fun, some of the early game bosses can be annoying, mostly Clayton, but you'll do just fine. Don't be afraid to use aero and remember to change Dolan &Gooby's AI settings if you want them to be useful. Goofy is mostly good for MP Gift and Dolan casts aero pretty reliably if you set him to defensive magic.

kaseykockroach

Awards
Heh, I might chicken out then. To elaborate, I recently revisited KH1 for the first time in several years, re-acquiring my old PS2 copy and everything...only to get a PS4 and the HD collection as early Christmas gifts weeks later! After going through KH2FM, I apparently love KH1 so much I'm wanting to play it again already, just maybe do something minor to make it a slightly different experience (such as maybe choosing the staff when I've always picked shield).

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
As long as you get used to and master the mechanics, you're good to start with the staff too imo. Even if it takes a few gameovers, let yourself re-learn (you said you played before too) how the moving around feels, how much time a hit staggers you, how much time you take to attack/heal/cast, and how to time your dodge rolls. See in which cases you have invincibility frames and plan moves accordingly. That's the key to most max-difficulty KH runs, applies to other games as well, and in the end gives you the feeling that you are indeed good at what you're doing, together with the overall experience. :]
Stay determined!
soulpurple_by_littlefiredragon-da0zm8d.png

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I mean, it's always a possibility to try out Proud mode and just level up frequently for the first playthrough. That way, most fights won't be as painful. It is definitely still and interesting experience, although I would always prefer KH2 critical over it (in terms of fairness to the player, lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back