• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Everything We Know About KINGDOM HEARTS χ[chi]

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

-INTRODUCTION-

First revealed at Tokyo Game Show 2012, KINGDOM HEARTS χ[chi] is a free-to-play PC browser social game taking place during the legendary Keyblade War, throwing players into the onslaught of the battle for Kingdom Hearts. Aligned with one of 5 factions, it's up to you to gather as much light as possible to vanquish the darkness and claim your destiny. Or so they say...

-STORY-

"Far, far away, in a fairy-tale realm...
The realm was filled with light.
That light gave birth to many worlds, enveloping them.
The source of the light, Kingdom Hearts, and the key that protected it, the χblade...
As long as they existed, it was believed that the realm would be in eternal light.
However, just as strong light will form a shadow, darkness was born.
The darkness called up fear, unease and craving.
Darkness, hidden deep in hearts, began to spread throughout the realm as chaos.
In order to drive back the spreading darkness, those who wished for light created Keyblades in imitation of the χblade, and embarked on adventures that spanned the realm."

In truth, Kingdom Hearts χ[chi] doesn't actually take place during the true Keyblade War. Introduced as a fairytale, the game borrows themes and settings from the established universe and bears no relevance to the main storyline. Think of it like a bedtime story your parents would tell you when you were younger, where they replaced all the characters and locales with names and places familiar to you in order to make it memorable.

-WORLDS-

In KHx, the player will travel throughout various Disney worlds, providing aid to familiar characters whilst ontheir journey. Currently, a total of four worlds have been revealed, no doubt with further additions to the lineup in the near future. The redesigns of each area breathe new life into the worlds unlike that which we've already seen in previous titles. 

Central Hub - It appears to resemble Radiant Garden, the city of light. Here, you'll be able to rest easy during your journey and rendevous with other members of your team. 

Dwarf Woodlands - Home of the seven dwarves. Doc has been separated from his companions. Heigh-ho, heigh-ho, it's off to find the other dwarves we go!

Agrabah - A palace city surrounded by a vast desert. Aladdin was found passed out in the sand after being attacked by Heartless. Let's check out his home town and discover what mysteries lie within. From the bustling bazaar to all the nooks and crannies within the dark alleys, there are many secrets waiting to be discovered.

Wonderland - A wondrous land full of strange happenings. We arrived here after falling down a rabbit hole. It looks like the only way to go is through this tiny door. Topsy-turvy, spinning round and round, how will you keep your head on amidst this madness and insanity? 

-CHARACTERS-

This time around, you, the player, will be the main protagonist. Choose your favorites from custom styles and designs created specially for Kingdom Hearts χ[chi] to determine your avatar's hair, face, skin tone, and outfit, bringing to life a character you're proud of. In a world where Keyblade wielders run rampant throughout the worlds with man-made Keyblades, be sure that yours will stand out among all the others!

As revealed in the gameplay trailer, a new character named "Chirishii" has appeared! Chirishii will help you out throughout your travels and ask you to visit certain worlds for him in your battle against the darkness.

-GAMEPLAY-

Cards are arguably one of the most well-known taboos within the Kingdom Hearts community. Although the card-based system from Chain of Memories was intuitive and strategic, many players found difficulty and frustration at the reliance on values and sleights. It's no surprise that when KHx was unveiled and the the word "card" came up through the impressions, the first move taken was almost an automatic step back in caution. That, however, isn't necessary.

How to Play

As per the series norm, Kingdom Hearts χ[chi] tasks the player with traversing through various Disney worlds and defeating Heartless. Upon starting the game, players are able to choose one of five factions (Anguis, Ursus, Leopardus, Vulpes, Unicornis) to fight for in the battle for the Light, otherwise known as "Lux." Lux can be obtained by defeating Heartless that you encounter throughout your journey, and taking down a Raid Boss will net you a tremendous amount, giving your team a significant advantage.

Every night, the Lux will be tallied in order to determine the winning team, who will receive a great reward, including Moogle Room tickets to exchange for powerful card packs. Give it your all, and don't let your teammates down!

Worlds

The player is controlled via the mouse. You can also hold down the left mouse button to direct your avatar torwards its destination, or just select the location and your avatar will dash towards it. You can also select various objects and enemies to obtain items, open chests and initiate combat. Health wil recover automatically after each battle.

While the game is free to play on PC browsers, players will also have the option to purchase additional bonus items, like those that can be found through treasure chests, to use in-game. These include potions, which recover AP, and ethers, which recover BP, although you can simply wait for these points to recharge on their own.

Performing actions in the world will cost a preset amount of AP, or "Attack Points", which will regenerate over time. The cost of each action varies depending on the target. Attacking smaller enemies, such as Shadows, as well as collecting materials lying around on the ground will cost less than opening treasure chests and striking down larger Heartless. It's worth noting that enemies will not attack you unless you make the first move. Enemies not only give out Lux upon defeat, but also experience for leveling up, munny, cards as well as materials to strengthen your Keyblade. 

Leveling up will replenish your health, AP and BP, as well as grant new objectives for you to accomplish whilst on your journey, such as defeating X number of Heartless or collecting X materials. You'll receive a wide range of prizes from potions and ethers that restock your points, to Moogle Shop tickets to exchange for high level card packs.

Card Synthesis

Now, here comes everyone's favorite tools of the trade, the cards. Cards can be acquired through various means such as defeating Heartless, searching in treasure chests, and exchanging tickets in the Moogle Shop. Then, by selecting a base card, you can fuse others to it to increase its strength. Of course doing so will also require a small munny fee; nothing too extreme for the strong Keyblade wielders such as yourself. 

There are no restrictions with what cards you can fuse together. Synthesizing those of the same type (such as blue for Magic, as depicted in the image) will allow the corresponding levels to rise quickly. Doing so with multiples of the same card will raise the card's overall level at an significant rate. 

Deck Formation

The player can construct a small deck to use in battle, which can be built easily either manually or by using the "Auto-form" option. Every turn in battle, three cards from your deck will be available for use, similar to that of the sleights from Chain of Memories. However,  these three will be randomly chosen; you will not have the option to select them beforehand, and the rate at which a battle progresses becomes unpredictable.

Overall, decks are comprised of two types of cards: Attack and Assist. Attack cards are assigned only one ability and set at a fixed level of attack and defense; these can be obtained in battle and through the Moogle Shop. Assist cards are crucial to determine the rewards you will receive in battle and can be found via treasure chests.

Keyblade Strengthening

Throughout the course of your adventure, you'll collect various materials and components that you can use in order to strengthen your Keyblade. A higher quantity and variety will be required with each upgrade and Keyblade, so be sure to collect as many as you can find! As depicted in the image, if your card and Keyblade type matches, the effects will be increased accordingly.

Additionally, the default Keyblade you begin the game with is called "Starlight" (depicted in the image above).

Team

The Raid Bosses mentioned earlier are the highlights of the game. These tremendous Darkside Heartless spawn every so often at a random level in the central hub, and you and your team must work together to defeat it as quickly as possible before time runs out, all the while making sure that your collective damage output exceeds that of the competing team. Time your attacks wisely and check back often to ensure that your team maintains control of the battle.

However, you will not be able to launch attack after attack against it. In order to even receive the opportunity to battle the Raid Boss, you will need BP, or "Battle Points." If you sacrifice more BP, your attacks will be more powerful. BP will recharge over time so you will receive more opportunities in the future, but spend your points wisely.

-GRAPHICS-

Not to be confused with Monster Octopus' original Kingdom Hearts Mobile style, used thereafter in Final Fantasy Airborne Brigade and Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, Success Inc.'s unique KINGDOM HEARTS χ[chi] style stay true to the design from the main series. 

-STAFF-

Director: Tetsuya Nomura
Co-Director: Tatsuya Kando
Developed by: Success Inc.

-NEWS-

Open Beta Launches + New Screenshots/Cards - July 08 2013

Gameplay Trailer + Open Beta Announcement - July 04 2013

Famitsu Weekly - 5 Competing Factions - March 27 2013

Closed Beta Test Invites + Official Site Update: "Game coming soon!" - March 19 2013

Co-Director Tatsuya Kando Interview on Square Enix Channel - March 13 2013

Famitsu Weekly - Launch date has been set, players can choose their own factions, new screenshots - March 13 2013

New Screenshots from 4Gamer - Closed Beta test Announcement - March 12 2013

Officially revealed as KINGDOM HEARTS χ[chi] + HD 1.5 ReMIX in-game preorder bonus - February 19 2013

Debut Screenshots from Famitsu Weekly - October 03 2013

First Glimpse - Trailer Impressions at Tokyo Game Show 2013 - September 19 2012

-VIDEOS-

-INTERVIEW ARCHIVE-

Famitsu Weekly w/ Tetsuya Nomura (HD 1.5 ReMIX, HD 2.5 ReMIX, χ[chi]) - October 04 2012

Dengeki Playstation w/ Tetsuya Nomura (HD 1.5 ReMIX, HD 2.5 ReMIX, χ[chi], The World Ends With You Solo Remix, Lightning Returns FINAL FANTASY XIII)- October 19 2012

Square Enix Channel w/ Tatsuya Kando (HD 1.5 ReMIX, χ[chi]) - March 13 2013

-EXTERNAL LINKS-

Official Japanese Website

KINGDOM HEARTS χ[chi] Image Gallery

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Re: Everything We Know About KINGDOM HEARTS ?[chi]

Any word yet on when/if chi is coming to America (or will be in English)?

No word at this moment, but we will let you know if/when an announcement has been made!

Welcome to the forums, by the way!

Last edited:

ShinobiMuramasa

Thanks for the very informative post! I've been hoping you would put together something like this.

Narukami

ᴋɪɴɢᴘɪɴ &#743
Awards
Website
stormdiver.tumblr.com

Very informative, very well-written, very organized. You've got me excited! :D

Gram

Banned
Awards

Very informative, great breakdown of the game! 8D I'm liking the idea of it more and more. I like what they done with the cards and wish I could try it out! >3<

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

Thanks everyone! We'll keep the OP updated whenever new information is released~

I'm really excited to finally be able to share the gallery with you as well! Please check it out when you have the chance!

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards

Thanks for doing this. It's very informative and give a good idea of the game. I'm actually looking forward to playing this.
I find it interesting that the fights will be somewhat random. Do you even have any control of the battle at all or is it pretty much just luck based?

I hope they'll make an English version sooner or later, though I might try the Japanese version even if i wouldn't understand a thing.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

Thanks for doing this. It's very informative and give a good idea of the game. I'm actually looking forward to playing this.
I find it interesting that the fights will be somewhat random. Do you even have any control of the battle at all or is it pretty much just luck based?

Just keep an eye on the battle and check the status whenever you care to. I want to say "because this is a social game, it's not like everyone's just going to stalk the battle even when they don't have BP to do anything" but this fandom is crazy so 8D

Teamwork is the key~ The Raid Bosses will appear at random levels, but you should be golden as long as you deal the most damage and hope the rest of your team will care enough to do the same.

I hope they'll make an English version sooner or later, though I might try the Japanese version even if i wouldn't understand a thing.

If they don't, we'd be more than happy to make a tutorial.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

BUMP BECAUSE OPEN BETA IS STARTING THIS WEEK APPARENTLY

Chrsora

The whole idea seems fine and all but, why 2D?Dont get me wrong, i have nothing agaisnt games like that.

But the concept itself is very powerful. Instead of releasing this now, they could have released that on a PS4 or XBOX, and name it Kingdom Hearts Online.

Where you can built up your character and explore what happen at the time, with your own character and the gameplay that we are used to on a KH game, in full 3D.

Anws thats just my idea, and it wont be happening any time soon.

Hope the games fun to play, which i am sure it will.

ps. Thanks for all that information.

Kisame

The whole idea seems fine and all but, why 2D?Dont get me wrong, i have nothing agaisnt games like that.

But the concept itself is very powerful. Instead of releasing this now, they could have released that on a PS4 or XBOX, and name it Kingdom Hearts Online.

Where you can built up your character and explore what happen at the time, with your own character and the gameplay that we are used to on a KH game, in full 3D.

3D takes a lot more effort, this might just be another way to plug Kingdom Hearts. Who knows.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

It would have been too long, too expensive, and there is no team to work on it. The team that made KH 1 and 2 are tied up with XV, and the Osaka Team are stuck with KHIII and 2.5 HD.

Besides, the game works just fine in 2D (not to mention the artwork is gorgeous)

Chrsora

Quote Originally Posted by King Chaser
It would have been too long, too expensive, and there is no team to work on it. The team that made KH 1 and 2 are tied up with XV, and the Osaka Team are stuck with KHIII and 2.5 HD.

Besides, the game works just fine in 2D (not to mention the artwork is gorgeous)

Too long?
Can you be more specific what do you mean by too long? I believe evey kindom hearts fan wants the game to be long. Since we havent had that pleasure of the game being ''too long'', for the last 7 years now. Besides,It will give a whole new experience. It could be something like......Skyrim Online, if you heard of the game.

Too expensive?
Every game is expensive nowdays. More or less at the same prize. But whos to say? All those years the majority of KH fans bought all the spin off's of the game. Who can blame on that one? If you want something you buy it, if not.....then its expensive.

Ofcourse theirs no team to work on it! Square enix lost count on which game to work on. But the game doensnt nenecessarily, need to come out now. I just expressed my thoughts after reading this article. Which it was very helpful btw. Nice job once again.

And for the last one, i never said the opposite. I am as excited as you are.

Last edited:

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

I find that there is still a lot of confusion despite this being a social game and not a MMORPG.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

Too long?
Can you be more specific what do you mean by too long? I believe evey kindom hearts fan wants the game to be long. Since we havent had that pleasure of the game being ''too long'', for the past 7 years now. Besides,It will give a whole new experience. It could be something like......Skyrim Online, if you heard of the game.
I meant the development would be too long, much longer than it is to do it on a browser in 2D.

Too expensive?
Every game is expensive nowdays. More or less at the same prize. But whos to say? All those years the majority of KH fans bought all the spin off's of the game. Who can blame on that one? If you want something you buy it, if not.....then its expensive.
Again, I was talking about development. It would have been more expensive to make everything in 3D for a console.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

I would be extremely happy if you guys did this.

Looks like Mirby beat us to it! If you still have any questions outside of what she has already explained, feel free to ask!

Chrsora

I meant the development would be too long, much longer than it is to do it on a browser in 2D.

Again, I was talking about development. It would have been more expensive to make everything in 3D for a console.

Like i said,the game doesnt nenecessarily, need to come out now. And ofourse it would take a while until it gets released. Most of the times, the more a game gets develop, the much better it will be. Every Kingdom hearts game had its time to come out, i wonder why do you think like that about this game.

Ofcourse it would. But if it was too expensive for the them to withstand it, Square enix would stop producing KH games a long time now.

Anyways, we are going off topic. And i just wanted to express my thoughts after reading this article, because square enix has the power to give the fans some really interesting games.

And i am not saying all this to offend this game in any way(!)

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

i wonder why do you think like that about this game.

Because Square Enix didn't even bother touching the game with their own developers, outsourcing it to another company.

Ofcourse it would. But if it was too expensive for the them to withstand it, Square enix would stop producing KH games a long time now.

Not if the development costs outweigh the projected profit. Square Enix has already seen a decline in net sales these last few years, this past year being the worst of them. KH games have also seen a decline in sales, KH3D being good but missing their target by quite a bit.

Anyways, we are going off topic. And i just wanted to express my thoughts after reading this article, because square enix has the power to give the fans some really interesting games.

And they will continue to. This game's main purpose was to be a cute social game for people to pass the time with and not have any importance on the plot or even cost money for fans to play. SE doesn't want to release another KH handheld/non-numbered title. They want to release a cute game people can just sit down at their computer in the interim of their busy lives and play. For free. That was also cheap for them to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back