• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Everything We Know About Coded So Far

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Will you be purchasing Coded?

• Yes.

Votes: 29 76.3%
  • I'm thinking about it/I'm unsure

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • No.

Votes: 4 10.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Audo

[size=+6]EVERYTHING WE KNOW ABOUT
CODED[/size]
[SIZE=+3]-SO FAR-[/SIZE]

picture.php

[size=+2]-INTRODUCTION-[/size]
Well, Hi again. I'm sure you have surmised by now that my name is Riku-Keyblade. Well, I'm here today to give you the third and most likely final thread of the "Everything We Know So Far" series - the Coded thread! While it certainly isn't the longest thread, I hope the majority of you find it both illuminating and helpful. I know a lot of people aren't interested in Coded, but after researching it and looking at all the sources and info (surprisingly few compared to the likes of 358 and BBS) I realized how interesting it was, and how it could answer so many questions we have. So keep that in your mind as you read =]

I made this thread to help new members, as well as old, touch up on the facts about what we know concerning Coded. I was tired of seeing so many people clueless about the three games so I made the 358 thread, the BBS thread, and now, this one. I hope many members find something of value in this thread, and if not, I hope you all can at least appreciate the work that I have put in for your - the members' - benefit. So, enjoy! ^__________________^

DISCLAIMER: Please note, the content and writing of this thread technically belongs to me. I put in a lot of work on these pages and they are not allowed to be copied, distributed or posted, in part or of its entirety, on any site other than KHInsider. Thank you, and I hope you can understand why.

[size=+2]-GENERAL INFORMATION-[/size]
Director: Tetsuya Nomura
Co-Director: Hajime Tabata
Producer: Kousei Itou
Co-producer: Kakuko Obinata
Executive Producer: Shinji Hashimoto
Official Website: KINGDOM HEARTS coded
Platform: Mobile Phone (FOMA) (DoCoMo)

[size=+2]-THE TITLE-[/size]
The title "Coded" is most likely in reference to how the majority of the game takes place in a data world made from Jiminy's Journals where you play as a data version of Sora and fight to stop the "bug" within.

[size=+2]-PRESS RELEASE-[/size]
A Disney universe as vast as the mobile network awaits you.
In KINGDOM HEARTS coded, you will journey through a variety of Disney worlds on an exciting adventure brought to life by advanced mobile phone technology and gorgeous graphics never before seen on the platform. This marks the first collaboration between Square Enix and the Walt Disney Internet Group.

After the events of KINGDOM HEARTS, Jiminy Cricket returned to Disney Castle to organize his journal. While he arranged his records, his eyes fell upon a page with a mysterious message.

We must return to free them from their torment.

However, no matter how hard Jiminy tried to recall the source of the text, he couldn't remember. So the King digitized the contents of the journal and started an investigation. Within the world traced from the contents of Jiminy's Journal, a boy awoke on Destiny Island. It was the beginning of a new quest for a virtual Sora.

[size=+2]-THE STORY-[/size]
[size=+1]-PROLOGUE-[/size]
newimage.jpg
The game begins with Jiminy organizing his journals after the events of KH2, when he stumbles upon a mysterious message in his journal that he had never written.

"We must return to free them from their torment."​

No matter how hard the little cricket tried to remember when or where the line had come from, he drew a blank. He immediately went to take his mysterious findings to King Mickey. Mickey arrived at a solution: to turn the journals into data and seek the source within, and so it begins...

[size=+1]-DATA WORLD-[/size]
In the data world created from Jiminy's Journal, a boy awoken. This new Sora is a data version of Sora, created from Jiminy's Journal. He has no memories of the previous endeavors taken by Sora and Co in the past games, and he must go through his adventures again to solve the mystery of the Data Bugs. While he must go through his adventures again, Nomura stresses that this won't be like Chain of Memories, and that since there are these data bugs have corrupted the data of the journal there will be a brand new story. He also adds that Coded will answer various questions such as where the King had gone and what Riku was doing during the course of the first Kingdom Hearts game.

Nomura also stresses that even though there are Heartless in the game that are made out of data, they are not the real cause and that the data bugs - and the message "We must return to free them from their torment" - all have to do with the "true" enemy of the game. They later add that the invasion of the bugs is certainly the first aspect of the problem and is one of the concepts of the game, but there may be other problems in the data world that you will have to wait to find out what they are.

The scene with Riku looking at the moon in Neverland (See Here), is to show what Riku was thinking before he "kidnapped" Kairi. And this scene that you may recall from the first Kingdom Hearts Game (See Here) will show what Pluto was doing at that time.

[size=+1]-REAL WORLD-[/size]
At first, Nomura wasn't too sure if they would tell a story of the events occuring in the real world - the world outside of the journal - but he has since changed his mind and has confirmed that events in the real world will be talked about as well, but that this developing real world story, will be for the user/gamer's benefit. Not much else is known about the story taking place in the real world at this time.

[size=+2]-WORLDS-[/size]
Kingdom Hearts: Coded is set to include a multiple of playable Disney worlds. The following is a list of worlds known to be in Coded so far, though whether or not they are all playable has yet to be seen:
-Disney Castle
-Destiny Islands
-Traverse Town (PLAYABLE)
-Neverland

[size=+2]-GAMEPLAY-[/size]
[size=+1]-DEBUG MODE-[/size]
Kingdom Hearts: Coded is primarily a mix between a puzzle and an action game. The world is made out of data and the area needs to be analyzed in order to find the data bug that is corrupting the data and then you must remove this bug. Also, there are heartless in the world that will try and stop you from finding the bug, but they are not the real causes of the problem.

Sora will be moving block of data around, trying to complete the puzzle as the Heartless try attacking him. When Sora complete the puzzle, the menu option "Debug" appears which will cause Sora to defeat the bug and vanish to the next stage of Jiminy's Journal. Nomura has said that the gameplay may become a bit confusing because Sora also has the ability to use ladders to get to higher areas. In Coded, Sora also has the ability to glide.

Each stage in debugging mode has a set time limit, and if you fail to find the bug within that limit, you are given the chance to solve it with one of two other debugging methods: High Speed and Crash.

High Speed Mode is a new aspect of the 'Debugging Mode' first seen around the time of the Jump Festa Convention. Not much is known about High Speed Mode at this point but you can see a screen-shot of the mode Here (or click the title above). In High Speed Mode, increases the conditions of Sora's movement and attack speed greatly, but other than that - not much is known about the mode at this time.

Crash Mode is another new aspect of the 'Debugging Mode' first seen around the time of the Jump Festa Convention. Like, the High Speed Mode, not much is known about Crash Mode but you can see a screen-shot Here (or click the title above). In Crash Mode, the game is turned into an action-packed side-scrolling adventure in an effort to debug the bug. Not much else is known about the mode at this point in time.

[size=+1]-GROWTH SYSTEM-[/size]
Coded introduces a new Growth System to the Kingdom Hearts series that specializes in things called Version-Up Points (As opposed to Level-up points. This is because the Data Sora doesn't "level" up, but "versions" up.) The VP points are needed to increase his status and level. After successfully finding and debugging the bug in a level, you will be sent to the results screen where you will be awarded VP points based on how you did. A screen-shot of the Results screen can be seen Here. Each heartless defeated garners 10 VP points to help you raise Sora's level.

[size=+2]-MULTIPLAYER-[/size]
Coded, like the other two games, offers something in the realm of Multiplayer. In Coded, you can enter one of your friends worlds, as they play, and try and help them solve one of the debugging puzzles. However, it has been noted that the system changed when you enter another person's world, though the exact details on this are currently unknown. What is known though, is that when two players share the same world, the "visiting" Player's Sora will look like a Shadow Sora to prevent confusion.

[size=+2]-TECHNICAL INFORMATION-[/size]
[size=+1]-GRAPHICS-[/size]
Coded is presented on a screen in the horizontal position, and this was based on the most recent cellphone screen specifications and is what they assume the game to look like when it is released to the public. The background of the game is 3D while the characters are in 2D. The reason they did this was was because they had hoped to have the game be available for a wide range of cellphones and they had expressed that the reason they developed this idea was because they wanted to send the game overseas. The game is said to support impressive graphics for the mobile system, and this is made especially evident in the game's cutscenes.

[size=+1]-VOICE ACTING-[/size]
While there has been no specific confirmation of Voice Acting in the game, trailer impressions from TGS have expressed that the trailer begins with a voice over by Jiminy, which implies that the game will make use of Voice Acting like the other installments of the series.

[size=+1]-CUTSCENES-[/size]
The cutscenes in Coded are impressive for the mobile phone, and look fairly close to their Console counterparts. The game is said to make full use of cutscenes throughout the story, many of them focusing on the mysterious yet to be solved revolving around KH1.

[size=+2]-TRAILER IMPRESSIONS-[/size]
[size=+1]-TOKYO GAME SHOW-[/size]
First thing that was shown, was the ending of Kingdom Hearts II, afterwards the text "The secret ending is solved, and the worlds still extend" Is shown, and then the words "Flow" is shown.

The video then officially begins with Jiminy Cricket looking at his journal, the words "Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories" pop-up. He then notices something he did not right in his journal "We must return to free them from their torment." Jiminy Cricket then rushes to report to King Mickey. Mickey who is startled by this only replies with "Only he is the one who can solve it." The scene soon changes to Sora standing in Destiny Islands, in Kingdom Hearts 1. However Sora only appears in the form of computer data that is being transmitted.

After the image, the game soon changes to a battle scene. Heartless are attacking, and the gameplay mechanic seems odd, as Sora appears to be moving pieces of blocks making it a puzzle game in a sense. Soon the command "Debugging" comes up. When this command is clicked, Sora moves at high speed, and vanishes as well. The scene soon changes to Sora being in Traverse Town with Mickey (As seen in the latest scans) With Mickey saying "I was here on that day." and then "Let's speak truly"

[size=+1]-JUMP FESTA-[/size]
-In the trailer, Kairi is shown holding her hand up to the moon. The scene then fades to Riku.
-A new mode has been announced for the game, called "High Speed Mode".

[size=+1]-DK∑7313 PARTY-[/size]
BG MUSIC: Destati
"A forbidden secret――"

The trailer starts with Jiminy Cricket narrorating.

"Two notebooks remain containing our travel records."

"Inside the first book recording our journey, only one line is written."

Upon the first page, "Thank Namine" is all that is written.

Well, in this one volume, you could say that the function was carried out.

Turning the page lightly

"A duty..."

One mysterious sentence was written upon the last page,

"Was it carried out?"

"We must return to free them from their torment", is written.

The King looks at the sentence in the journal with Jiminy.
King Mickey: "Trouble remembering that sentence..."
The King is startled.
King Mickey: "Only he is qualifed to solve this mystery!"
(It seems the "he" the King refers to is Sora.)

At last they show the scene where a young Sora from KH1 wakes up in the back alley of Traverse Town. He wakes up to his face being licked by Pluto. Sora runs after Pluto to the center of town.

Cid is standing in front of the item shop, Sora stops by him.
Cid: "Hey, I know that face."
(The blogger doesn't remember much other than Sora saying "Could this be the outside world?")

Sora has an exchange with an Organization XIII member wearing a black hood in Traverse Town.
Sora: "What! You!"
Organization Member: "Show me your power."

-Playing and battle scenes start-

The King holds out a hand to Sora coming out of the back alley.
(He is wearing his normal clothes, not the Organization XIII coat.)
King Mickey: "Sora, your journey began here."
King Mickey: "What you don't know is, that I was here on that day too."
King Mickey: "I'm going to tell you the truth."

Riku looks up to the night sky from the clock tower in Neverland. He gazes at the moon and grips his chest, after this gesture, Kairi is shown with an empty look on her face because her heart is lost.

The King, Jiminy, Goofy, and Donald peer into the journal.

"One would was healed" is written in the journal.

[size=+2]-ADDITIONAL INFO-[/size]
[size=+1]-SCANS-[/size]
Scan Collection

[size=+1]-IMAGES-[/size]
Image Collection

[size=+1]-TRANSLATIONS[/size]
We must return to free them from their torment
Jiminy: Trouble remembering that sentence---
Mickey: That day, I was here too.
Mickey: To tell the truth---
Jiminy: Oh!

[size=+1]-RELEASE DATE-[/size]
Nomura has expressed around TGS of last year that he doesn't expect the fans will have to wait longer than 2-3 years to get their hands on Coded, implying that he planned on it having a release in a year or so. At the current time, he hasn't gone back on that statement, and as such, Coded is still believed to be set for release this year in Japan. No announcement of the game heading to overseas countries has been made, but Nomura has stated that he wishes to send the game overseas.

In October 2007, Nomura had an interview with Gemanga Magazine, where he let slip that he believed that 358/2 Days would actually be the first game to be released, with Coded following it soon afterward.

At the DKΣ3713 Party in August 2008, S-E announced Coded would have a Winter 2008 release for Japan.

[size=+1]-DEVELOPMENT STATUS-[/size]
As of June 2008, Nomura has expressed that Coded is in good developmental stages right now and Nomura is wondering on how to keep the overall feel of the KH series, including gameplay, intact within Coded. He also added that there is a test version under development now, but the phone the test version is running on, will not be the same as the final product.

[size=+2]-SOURCES-[/size]
General Info - Famitsu Translation courtesy of bittermeat
General Info - QJ.Net - DoCoMo Confirmation[/utl]
Title Info - [url=http://www.khinsider.com/main/coded.html]KHInsider - Coded

Press Release Info - Kingdom Hearts Ultimania - KH Coded - TGS Press Report
Story Info - KHInsider - Images
Prologue Info - Kingdom Hearts Ultimania - KH Coded - TGS Press Report
Data World Info - Kingdom Hearts Ultimania - KH Coded - TGS Press Report
Data World Info - Kingdom Hearts Ultimania - KH Coded - Developer Intervew
Data World Info - Kingdom Hearts Ultimania - KH Coded - Nomura Interview
Data World Info - KHInsider - New Information on all Three Titles!
Real World Info - Kingdom Hearts Ultimania - KH Coded - Developer Intervew
Worlds Info - Kingdom Hearts Ultimania - KH Coded - TGS Press Report
Worlds Info - KHInsider - New Information on all three titles!
Debugging Mode Info - KHInsider - New Information on all three titles!
Debugging Mode Info - Kingdom Hearts Ultimania - KH Coded - Developer Interview
Debugging Mode Info - Kingdom Hearts Ultimania - KH Coded - Nomura Interview
Debugging Mode Info - KHInsider - Famitsu Scan and Article Report!
High Speed Mode - KHInsider - Famitsu Scan and Article Report!
High Speed Mode Info - KHInsider - New Information on all three titles!
Crash Mode Info - KHInsider - New Information on all three titles!
Growth System Info - KHInsider - New Information on all three titles!
Growth System Info - KHInsider - Famitsu Scan and Article Report!
Multiplayer Info - KHInsider - New Information on all three titles!
Multiplayer Info - Kingdom Hearts Ultimania - KH Coded - Developer Interview
Graphics Info - Kingdom Hearts Ultimania - KH Coded - Nomura Interview
Voice Acting Info - Kingdom Hearts Ultimania - TGS Trailer Summary
Trailer Impressions - Kingdom Hearts Ultimania - TGS Trailer Summary
Trailer Impressions - KHInsider - (JF 2008) Trailers, Demo Impressions!
Trailer Impressions - BKHInsider - DKΣ3713 Trailer Impressions, courtesy of bittermeats
Scans Info - Scans courtesy of KHInsider
Scans Info - Translated Scans courtesy of bittermeat.
Images Info - Images courtesy of KHInsider
Translations Info - All Translations courtesy of bittermeat.
Release Date Info - Kingdom Hearts Ultimania - KH Coded - Nomura Interview
Release Date Info - KHInsider - Nomura Talks More Kingdom Hearts!
Release Date Info - KHInsider - DKΣ3713 Starts Now!
Development Status - Kingdom Hearts Ultimania - KH Coded - Developer Interview
Development Status - KH-Vids - Famitsu Website updates with Interview

Well there you go. I know most of this is probably just recap for a lot of people, but the point of this was to catch up the members that may not be up to date on Coded info and I would love it if no one would make posts such as "tl;dr" or anything like that. This is to be used as a reference and I don't want to hear how you guys know it already.

But I hope you guys can see how much work I put into this and what not, and any rep is appreciated for the effort I took ^___^
Also, I would like to have this thread be on the first page of the forum a lot so that people will be able to continue to use it for information and what not and I plan on updating it every time we get new info such as the S-E Party in a couple of weeks. So, I hope you guys find this useful and if you have any comments/concerns/things you think I should add in or what not, please, feel free to post! Thanks.

Also, if anyone has a better version of the JF Trailer Impression, please let me know because the only version I could find isn't very good =[. But please, don't let that stop you from enjoying this (most likely) last installment of my threads! And remember, any comments/concerns/etc please post. I want to make it as useful as possible, so feel free to speak up! Oh, and Big thanks to bittermeat for all of her help with the translating ^___^

UPDATES (08-02-08) [NOTE: All Updates are in BOLD]:
-Updated Trailer Impression Section
-Updated Release Date Section
-Updated Image Section
-Updated Sources

So guys, I'm getting reports of some people stealing the content I have written for these threads, and using it elsewhere without permission. If you guys hear about anything like this, or see this thread on any site other than KHInsider can you please let me know? It's very important, thanks.
Just a note though, due to the fact that the threads are going to make up the BBS/358/Coded/XIV/Unbirth pages on the main site, these threads are not allowed to be posted anywhere else, even if they do say "credit to R-K". So keep that in mind =]

Last edited by a moderator:
Awards
I actually read this one. It was fairly interesting.
Now I actually want to play the game :(

Also, you may want to read over your conclusion.
And this stages the end for the "Coded" sticky.

Marly

All right, don't have a crap attack
Awards
Amazing as usual R-K! Simply amazing! Thanks for all the info... I never much looked into Coded, so I mite read this.....

P.S. Too Short!!!!!

A

Audo

Wow. Awesome R-K. Well done!
Thanks ^____^

I actually read this one. It was fairly interesting.
Now I actually want to play the game :(
xD.

Also, you may want to read over your conclusion.
And this stages the end for the "Coded" sticky.
Err what's wrong with the conclusion?

Amazing as usual R-K! Simply amazing! Thanks for all the info... I never much looked into Coded, so I mite read this.....

P.S. Too Short!!!!!
I know! It is soooo short. Though, to be honest, I thought it would be A LOT shorter than it is. There isn't a lot of Coded info v.v Hopefully the S-E Party will change that.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Is it just me or do the blocks Sora attacks look like that one from Tron's world?

A

Audo

Is it just me or do the blocks Sora attacks look like that one from Tron's world?
Well they both are technically Data.

It used to say "Recap on Birth By Sleep information".
I guess you edited it already.
Mhm. I looked back over it and saw what you were talking about, lawls. I was lazy so i just copied it from the other thread, with the exception of the last paragraph.

Awards
So, if this is s'posed to be the first game out, it should be out pretty soon then.
And I thought it was coming out in parts?

A

Audo

Beats me. I don't know how their release plan is designed. I couldn't find any information on it, but I would believe it would make sense if it was released in chapters. I think we're just going to have to wait until the S-E Party for more information on that.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I am really excited about this game. I know you guys say 'I's boring and bad' but it will be important. Just what was Mickey doing in Traverse Town witht eh star Seeker? was it because it was his only keyblade in KH1 before the IKK?

Smile

Codename: D
Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
d-o,o-b
Awesomeness.
I knew most stuff but it was a good refreshment.
One thing I'm curious about and you know it - is whether or not that's Current Day Mickey that goes in there, and if so - why doesn't he use the IKK '-'

bittermeat

デザートタイ&#
Website
heartstation.org
Looks good! It's a shame there isn't more available information. If Coded releases before 358/2 Days, we could be seeing a flood soon. As far as your thread goes, I only saw a couple errors. One of the' Data World Info' source links is goofed up. And when you click on the screenshot titled 'Mickey: That day, I was here too.', it leads to a picture of Jiminy instead. xD

Thanks for making this along with the other two threads!

A

Audo

Another Top of the Line guide. Props again R-K, this Coded review is mad insightful.
Thanks.

Looks like I'm going to have to crash this Party... *pulls out Pooh costume*
Rofl. You should.

I am really excited about this game. I know you guys say 'I's boring and bad' but it will be important. Just what was Mickey doing in Traverse Town witht eh star Seeker? was it because it was his only keyblade in KH1 before the IKK?
I'm assuming that is a Data Mickey, as in, he is from the contents of the Journal because Mickey had the StarSeeker as his Keyblade before going into the Dark Realm to get the IKK.

d-o,o-b
Awesomeness.
I knew most stuff but it was a good refreshment.
One thing I'm curious about and you know it - is whether or not that's Current Day Mickey that goes in there, and if so - why doesn't he use the IKK '-'
I think it is Data Mickey, but I can't be sure =/

Looks good! It's a shame there isn't more available information. If Coded releases before 358/2 Days, we could be seeing a flood soon. As far as your thread goes, I only saw a couple errors. One of the' Data World Info' source links is goofed up. And when you click on the screenshot titled 'Mickey: That day, I was here too.', it leads to a picture of Jiminy instead. xD

Thanks for making this along with the other two threads!
Oh wow, thanks for finding those errors, lol. I suppose i was just in such a hurry to post it, I missed them XD.
And thanks. I hope one of the games is released soon, though... It makes me wonder what I would do with these threads. But up a lot of Spoiler boxes? =/

Marly

All right, don't have a crap attack
Awards
I wonder how much importance this will have, I mean when I first bought CoM (i wasnt way into KH then) so I thought it would just be a little side game.... I wonder if this is will tie to KH3... Love the message too:

"We must return to free them from their torment."​

its so mysterious and cool sounding.... I wanna know what it means, makes me really want this game now D=

by the way RK where did your sig/avvy come from? It looks like a character from those Esurance commercials XD

Smile

Codename: D
Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I wonder how much importance this will have, I mean when I first bought CoM (i wasnt way into KH then) so I thought it would just be a little side game.... I wonder if this is will tie to KH3...

There are no 'little side games' in KH. There're only two types of games -
Numbered Titles which tell Sora's story directly,
and
Support Titles - necessary to understand the story, but don't feature Sora as the main character.

BBS - TAV.
Coded - A digital Sora and Mickey, telling Mickey and Riku's stories during KH1.
Days - Roxas and the Organization's story.

CoM - Namine and Riku.

Besides, this isn't like the Mobile game that Disney released without Square's involvement. This was announced by Nomura XD; I doubt we can ignore this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back