• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► Everyone's Nearly as Insane

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mason Stark

TICK TOCK, KID!
Awards
Website
twitter.com
...:'D; No, this isn't a story. 'TIS A QUESTION! [And, if I can't get it answered, expect me to come bug everyone in the writer's chat. And, yes, I mean bug. Oogie-san shall probably help... NYAH. 83]

Alrighty, question time! I want to add more suspense to my stories. And, when horrifying things pop up, I want not only the characters to be terrified but everyone who reads it as well. I tried doing that in my ATSW story, but... erm... RenigmaSTER doesn't seem very scary when he's supposed to be the most horrifying person in the Desolate. ;__; He wants to scare everyone, not just Kris!

So, does anyone have any suggestions on how to give suspense to a story or how to turn your fantasy-esque stories into a horror story? If you can point me towards a guide, that would be awesome, too, but tips would also be good! 8D; Just don't tell me to read any horror books. ICK. [I hate horror movies BUT I WANNA SCARE PEOPLE >.<]

Thankies! 8D;

Ban Mido

Kissing the skies.
Welcome back from your trip Takushi san!

And I'm sorry, but I don't know how I can help you with making your stories scarier. good luck though.

R0ad H0g

AngelofDestiny's idea is pretty good. Also, try reading horror novels. One author whose books you might want to read are Stephen Kings.

Souretsu Gear

Nostalgia Tripping
Use figurative words that triggers the sense of suspense into the persons mind. Examply; Movie Directors would use the music and the acting. For comic artists, they use silhouettes of the character in an enigmatic fashion or even character expressions. For writers, their weapons are words that strikes suspense into the persons mind. Certain words can trigger an image. Make them feel that they are the character, that they are in the place. Twists and turns are also essential to suspense as AngelofDestiny suggested. Stephen King books are great sources to use like R0ad H0g suggested also.

Make the reader look at one direction, while you are focusing on the real direction. Use deception in your writing. Of course, I am in no position to say this.

jazznam89

Read some Marquis De Sade or anything of Gothic Literature. Should give you some ideas.

Joy

Bronze Member
Go old horror movie style. More or less watch some old horror stories.

Like, that one where they communicated with the girl via the television. that had some scary, scary parts. The director didn't have to show the parts, but mad eyuou feel the way the mother was feeling. Do that, and you'll start to frigthten your audience.

Mordecai

And The Hero Fails
Website
www.google.com
Uh, I'm sure that this was said, but put the reader in the place of your character.

Also, someone said that words were the weapon. That's a pretty good tip. For example, use putrid instead of smelly. Putrid puts a horribly disgusting green kind of smell in your mind. You an actually see the scent. Smelly makes you laugh, because it's just a funnier word.

Instead of ugly use grotesque and grungy. Depending on what exactly you're going for.

Instead of strong ( with flavor and such ) use pungent and sharp or stinging. Things like that. Just choose your words wisely. While your defining and adding detail, ask yourself, what does this word make me think of? ie. Smelly makes you kind of smile and smirk. "The fat man was smelly and ugly." < That makes you smile, or think it's kind of comedy. You're making fun of him with silly, short words that are easily understood.

Now, to turn it around, "The grotesque man was putrid and deformed." < See how that works? You think "yuck this guy is pretty gross" and it gives you an image. A terrifying, disgusting, repulsing image. This versus what we did originally, which made you kind of drift into the comedy.

Hope that helped a little bit. Good luck with it. Also, she said she doesn't like horror. Don't tell her to go watch a scary movie. However, reading a Stephen King book might do you some justice.

Good luck.

~FoT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back