• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

"Europeans are dirty and hairy!"

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

New2Ya

I'm lost...
We all know the American prejudice about European women being hairy and Europeans in general being filthy and dirty.

Where the hell do they get this from? It's really funny, actually.

So, this discussion is about its origins, its credibility, its facts and your own prejudice/opinion about this.

I'm a European guy and shower every day, I'm very clean in general. All women around me shave their legs, armpits, etc. Even arms sometimes.

So I'm really surprised about this prejudice that just doesnt seem to leave the average American mind.
Discuss!

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
I would guess people think back to the middle ages and how filthy everything was back them, and assume that remnants of that era are still reflected in your hygiene and culture. Or well, I don't know, I'm just going on a limb.

I'm not sure if one can make that kind of generalization.

It's like saying brazilians all wear loincloths and live in tree houses.

Last edited:

New2Ya

I'm lost...
Maybe it has to do with WWII where Europeans had to live dirty, seen their circumstances? America hasnt really been on European ground after the world war. Not the media per se, I mean. Ah you know what I mean.

Its like they're basing it on back then.

Enchanted Rose

worst behaviour
I always thought that stereotype was in relation to the French.
I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but in my personal interaction with French people, I have known women not to shave their armpits, and men to be lax about showering every day.

I suppose because the continental European lifestyle is very relaxed because of the heat; naps in the afternoon, lots of drinking in the evening, and eating late. Again, this sounds rude, but we have a stereotype that Grecian people never work hard, because in many European countries you see so much building and maintenance work that seems only half completed, and so on.

Gildragon

Theatre Messiah
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Maybe it has to do with WWII where Europeans had to live dirty, seen their circumstances? America hasnt really been on European ground after the world war. Not the media per se, I mean. Ah you know what I mean.

if enough people don't do it in some popular countries it becomes the stereotyp

I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but in my personal interaction with French people, I have known women not to shave their armpits, and men to be lax about showering every day.

This is a well known thing especially in America. I don't know why, I personally can't vouch for the Frcnch.

but if you heard to average joes in America talking about french women you would hear the subject of them not shaving their armpits

Massive Attack

Dial 'M' for 'Motherfucker'
Awards

I suppose because the continental European lifestyle is very relaxed because of the heat; naps in the afternoon, lots of drinking in the evening, and eating late. Again, this sounds rude, but we have a stereotype that Grecian people never work hard, because in many European countries you see so much building and maintenance work that seems only half completed, and so on.

For the guys, maybe. But for the women, no. I always thought French women were generally thought of as looking beautiful...?

but we have a stereotype that Grecian people never work hard.

Who do you think built the motherfucking labyrinth? :V

_EX

ShadowSoldier V2.0
i dont think i have heard of european steriotypes like this but i know people like to think of russian women as masculine and hariy individuals

Shade737

Silver Member
The only stereotype I hear about Europeans is the yellow teeth one.

Mythological Omega

the arsenal of megadeth
It's like saying brazilians all wear loincloths and live in tree houses.

You mean you don't? :V

I agree. I've grown used to the oven-based Jewish jokes I've heard over the years.

New2Ya

I'm lost...
The only stereotype I hear about Europeans is the yellow teeth one.
Yellow teeth? That's a new one...

This has probably to do with Hollywood. Outside Hollywood, I doubt people have as white teeth... it looks really weird when someone has unnaturally white teeth.

Massive Attack

Dial 'M' for 'Motherfucker'
Awards

This has probably to do with Hollywood. Outside Hollywood, I doubt people have as white teeth... it looks really weird when someone has unnaturally white teeth.

Might be referring to English people having bad teeth stereotype. Probably because NHS sucks. Everyone in England should move up to Scotland.

Zeph

imp of the perverse
I've never really heard of that steriotype before... other that some Italians and French don't shave, but there are alot of Americans like that too.

Voltron

Silver Member

I live outside of Hollywood and my teeth are really white, not pearly, but white.

And I've always heard that the French and Swedish woman don't shave their arm pits.

As for where it started, I haven't the foggiest idea.

Togo

Awards
How can americans say that when the people who founded their country were from the UK.

Queen of Hearts

i dont think i have heard of european steriotypes like this but i know people like to think of russian women as masculine and hariy individuals

I've heard of Russian stereotypes like this, and I can understand from what others have said, why they think Europeans are hairy... But you get people from all over who might not agree with shaving etc.

Some stereotypes that people have of other countries are crazy.. :D It's like judging all people because of what we have heard about their culture and that could be false.

New2Ya

I'm lost...
I live outside of Hollywood and my teeth are really white, not pearly, but white.
Same here, but my teeth dont look like in Hollywood. Thats simply fake. It depends on what you do with your teeth and what you eat, whether they're white or not. I never drink coffee, brush my teeth at least twice a day, etc, so obviously theyre really white, but they're natural, not fake.

Same for you probably.

And I've always heard that the French and Swedish woman don't shave their arm pits.
I don't think that's as true as the media make it out to be. I've never had the chance of seeing a French or Swedish girl her armpit, but I doubt she doesnt shave it, honestly.

How can americans say that when the people who founded their country were from the UK.
You'd make your point even more valid if you'd state the fact that America was founded by Europeans, not just British.

However contradicting that point is the fact that the Europeans centuries ago are not the Europeans now, so you cant base that on the similarities of the cultures today. You can see the similarities though considering the American culture and European cultures seem to contribute each other.

Faith Crest

Worst birthday ever.
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Where do people get this crap from? "Europeans are dirty and hairy!" my arse. Europeans aren't all just one big race; there are several different ones - English, French, Spanish, German, Swedish, Russian, etc. I for one shower every single day. And I've never shaved my legs, but that's only because there is nothing there whatsoever. Whoever came up with this rubbish is seriously deluded ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back