• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Eurogamer Interviews Tai Yasue - Kingdom Hearts 3, Nomura's departure from FFXV, Unreal Engine

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

Eurogamer had the opportunity to interview Co-Director Tai Yasue at the Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMix launch event in London. With no limits to their questions, they took the chance to ask about recent revelations that have occured overseas in Japan, such as the switch from Luminous Engine to Unreal Engine 4 and Series Director Tetsuya Nomura's departure from Final Fantasy XV.

He states that UE4 has really impressed the team and has changed the way they develop Kingdom Hearts 3. However, the reason for the switch had nothing to do with Luminous. Rather, they felt that Unreal was better suited for their needs, and along with the existing userbase and active communication channels with Epic Games Japan, it felt as though it was a complete product. 

It was easy for them to transition to Unreal, but it didn't mean that it was perfect from the get-go. There were many things specific to Kingdom Hearts that couldn't be done with the default build, so the team had to retool and customize the engine to add these options, one of which is the Kingdom Shader, used to give each world a unique Disney look that is truthful to the source material. 

The great news, however, is that none of the assets we had seen from the E3 2012 or even the D23 Expo trailer were thrown away. And the experience that came from putting those trailers together were able to translate well into their current development. 

In regards to Nomura's departure from Final Fantasy XV, Yasue states that nothing has particularly changed in development. Nomura is the creative visionary of the game, and oversees the project. They communicate just as often as they previously had done, and Kingdom Hearts 3 development is speeding up as time goes by, but he doesn't believe it is related to FFXV. 

Eurogamer also asked about Disney, and if they have set any limitations at this early stage yet, to which the answer is "no". There are many new and old IPs from Disney that they are currently considering to incorporate and work with, but so far, they have had free reign completely.

As a final note to celebrate Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMix's launch in western territories, Yasue says that the remasters will help prepare new players for the end of the Dark Seeker saga. The goal was to develop the long-awaited Kingdom Hearts 3 while making it more accessible with the remasters. It's been 12 years since the release of the first title, but it'll all be worth it in the end.

Source: Eurogamer

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
Re: Eurogamer Interviews Tai Yasue - Kingdom Hearts 3, Nomura's departure from FFXV, Unreal Engine 4

So they were still able to keep all of the assets from before. At least this means that they are able to adjust well all things considered.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Re: Eurogamer Interviews Tai Yasue - Kingdom Hearts 3, Nomura's departure from FFXV, Unreal Engine 4

I don't know if I really believe that about Luminous considering it is hard to get engine assistance when the engine developers have merged with another game's team as they are try to complete said game.

If nothing is off limits, that really better mean TV shows. Disney cartoons make up the majority of many of KH fans' childhoods and pre-teen years, and Disney cartoons were certainly the highlight of my life in 2012 and 2013. Gargoyles, Darkwing Duck, DuckTales, Kim Possible, Buzz Lightyear, W.I.T.C.H., Tron: Uprising, Motorcity, Gravity Falls, etc.

I'd cry to see Sora and Goliath fighting together.

I know he is talking about SW and Marvel, but I can dream.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards

I'd cry to see Sora and Goliath fighting together.

KH___Sora___Goliath_by_im_a_tumor.png

Maybe someday, Master Spockanort. Maybe someday.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

We must keep the dream alive.

Anyways, it'll be interesting to see what work they have done on KH3 on UE4. (Y'know, more than like 30ish seconds of really brief look at things)

Hakan Xatos

Awards

I could see Ducktales, Darkwing Duck and probably not as popular but Gummi Bears (Knights and Robin Hood-esque feel, fighting Ogres type show). I don't think the other shows I watched would fit in though like Goof Troop, Rescue Rangers or TaleSpin. Although I think Baloo from TaleSpin would show up in a Jungle Book world and instead of the Buzz Lightyear show, probably the Toy Box. Which would stink because I liked the Buzz Lightyear show better than the movies lol.

axel95

Awards

I'm glad to hear that the adjustment Unreal 4 went well. I know it's early on in the process, but it seems like it's more and more likely that Marvel and/or Star Wars in KH3. I really don't want that. I just don't see how it could work.

Brightcrest

If nothing is off limits, that really better mean TV shows. Disney cartoons make up the majority of many of KH fans' childhoods and pre-teen years, and Disney cartoons were certainly the highlight of my life in 2012 and 2013. Gargoyles, Darkwing Duck, DuckTales, Kim Possible, Buzz Lightyear, W.I.T.C.H., Tron: Uprising, Motorcity, Gravity Falls, etc.

Um, this.
This needs to be a reality.
Darkwing Duck and Buzz Lightyear WERE my childhood.
We need more worlds that aren't just 100% mainstream Disney cash ins. Worlds like Timeless River, and Country of the Musketeers were awesome because they appealed to the more hardcore Disney fans. Not that the TV shows aren't mainstream, I'm just saying I don't want the only worlds included to be like Frozen, Star Wars, etc. Not that those wouldn't be cool, but I agree with Master Spockanort, there needs to be a broader approach to the world choices, rather than just a basket of ads for current Disney blockbusters... :p

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards

However, the reason for the switch had nothing to do with Luminous.

Why do I have the feeling he's lying here?

In regards to Nomura's departure from Final Fantasy XV, Yasue states that nothing has particularly changed in development. Nomura is the creative visionary of the game, and oversees the project. They communicate just as often as they previously had done, and Kingdom Hearts 3 development is speeding up as time goes by, but he doesn't believe it is related to FFXV.*

So even with him Being forced off his dream project nothing's changed.

Yeah I'm expecting this to Nomura's last Kingdom Hearts game.

Hakan Xatos

Awards

@rokudamia2

Do you really think it is Nomura's last game? I'm not one to read too much in the politics of the developers, so I don't know. If it is, then the series would probably go south after the Dark Seeker Saga... I really don't want to see that happen..

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Haha, not really. Nomura referred to these series of games as the "first saga" at the Launch Event and said he wants to work on more games for this series. Can't really do that if he isn't at SE.

Gray Aria

The Misshapen Spark
Awards

It seems like Yasue's statements about Luminous not having much to do with the switch to Unreal Engine 4 are a bit contradictory to what we've heard before.

The most I want to see from Star Wars and Marvel are maybe a lightsaber-esque keyblade and some Marvel weapons for Donald and Goofy. I'd like Big Hero 6 to have some representation in the game as well.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

Why do I have the feeling he's lying here?

So even with him Being forced off his dream project nothing's changed.

I'm not. KH was his baby long before XV was even thought of. I don't know why everyone is acting like that.

It seems like Yasue's statements about Luminous not having much to do with the switch to Unreal Engine 4 are a bit contradictory to what we've heard before.

The most I want to see from Star Wars and Marvel are maybe a lightsaber-esque keyblade and some Marvel weapons for Donald and Goofy. I'd like Big Hero 6 to have some representation in the game as well.

Depends on how you interpret it in my opinion. While we know for a fact that Luminous suffers from more problems than it should, Osaka team's main problem stemmed from not having the support they needed from the team in Tokyo, who was merged into the XV team and couldn't split their attention between two projects at once.

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards

Haha, not really. Nomura referred to these series of games as the "first saga" at the Launch Event and said he wants to work on more games for this series. Can't really do that if he isn't at SE.

Well now that I think about it I should say last total under the title of director.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards

Oh my gosh, no limits? <3 That makes world selection really exciting to think about.

Well now that I think about it I should say last total under the title of director.
Why?

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards

Oh my gosh, no limits? <3 That makes world selection really exciting to think about.

Why?

I just have a feeling he'll have a slightly more hands off approach after kh3. I have no idea why I feel this away. It's too early to tell ether way.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards

I just have a feeling he'll have a slightly more hands off approach after kh3. I have no idea why I feel this away. It's too early to tell ether way.
I severely doubt that. Kingdom Hearts is Nomura's, unlike Final Fantasy. This is his project to do with as he pleases and Square Enix knows that. After losing FFXV, he's not going to up and abandon KH ESPECIALLY not after seeing how much love and support there is for him and his baby (KH) in North America.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards

I feel like his position and duties over the years have been so overexaggerated that so many people have begun to believe that development isn't able to continue unless he's dictating each and every little thing 24/7. He's the series/creative director. There's only so much that he can do in Tokyo, and only so much that he needs to do after all the decisions have been finalized. After that, he's just checking over and approving the work that is sent/shown to him.

saintfighteraqua

Awards

I'm so glad to hear that!
I was afraid the Kingdom Shader had been scrapped.
Thank goodness!

Heartkeeper

Awards

Really surprised by the Nomura stuff, I wonder if he will leave the company after KHIII, good thing that the Tokyo team is very capable now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back