• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

EU Version of DDD only with English, French and German subtitles.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Absolutely not. I have Bunheads and Futurama to watch, then an essay to write.And then fanboy over DDD.

In that case you should better get some coffee, lol. ^__^
Have good fun with that...I can only "fanboy" later since when lunchtime is over my work calls. ;P

Gexus

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
If you ask me, I'd say people are a bunch of whiners. I come from Iceland and we just learn English instead of forcing everyone to translate everything for us. That way, the most of us here understand two languages perfectly. Even though we don't start English classes until 5th grade, we still understand English pretty well before that, thanks to undubbed/subbed videogames for one.

Vanitas666

I choose the Middle Path
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
This actually put my heart at ease if they won't even translate to Spanish and Italian there is no way they could dubb the game to swedish which I would hate (our dubbers suck ass now a days). I had to play through epic mickey in swedish and if there wasn't for the psn version of Heroes on the Move I would have missed out on that shitty game which I basically bought my move for (that's how badly I dislike Swedish in games).

sorry for you guys who suffer for it though.

If you ask me, I'd say people are a bunch of whiners. I come from Iceland and we just learn English instead of forcing everyone to translate everything for us. That way, the most of us here understand two languages perfectly. Even though we don't start English classes until 5th grade, we still understand English pretty well before that, thanks to undubbed/subbed videogames for one.

same here (though we start english classes in third grade). All countries should try to speak good english but you can't blame the people who can't speak it when they are taught not no.

Gexus

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
All countries should try to speak good english but you can't blame the people who can't speak it when they are taught not no.

This is exactly my point though. If you don't dub the game, the people will just learn English automatically. So if anything, it's beneficial.

ShailsTDSPT

Sucks for everyone that knows english. Good thing here in Portugal, you are forced to learn English from 5th to 9th grade (10th to 12th if you don't choose something else like French or German), so most know english quite well and anyone into gaming probably knows english as well. I learned english simply by school and playing online games in english, watching english movies with subtitles on your language helps a lot too. By 7th grade, I spoke english incredibly well (only my accent was missing, it still is missing ^^) so it isn't that hard.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Again, it doesn't pertain for dubs, aka voice-acting. The voice acting is always in English, even in France and Germany. The issue here are the subtitles and the text in menus and the UI.

On the language bit though I would certainly wonder if, especially in reasonably important countries like Italy and Spain, English is NOT a mandatory subject in school.
Here in Germany kids also start to learn English at a reasonably early age.

Nonetheless I'm thinking about using my KH: Birth By Sleep code to actually register at SE: Europe this evening to give some input to them as well.
Not because I am personally affected since we Germans will get it in German (which considering my personal level of English also wouldn't be neccessary for me), but because I do think that Square really made a not very thought out decision. It's already somewhat iffy that Europe as a whole doesn't get anything for the 10th Anniversary compared to JP and US, but suddenly cutting localization in two languages one month before release after already having subbed trailers in those languages really tops it as a low blow.
Furthermore, besides Spain, what about the whole of the South Americas? Do they expect them all to be totally fluent in English as well?

Cherryjuice

Uh, I don't think that's how it works, these aren't "extra" subtitles. They don't have an option to switch the subtitle-language. They will only deliver versions with English subtitles to UK, Spain, Italy and any other European country who get the game (and most likely Australia) except France and Germany, who will get versions of DDD with French and German subtitles, respectively.

So when I get my German copy, I will only have German subtitles and no access to the English or French ones.

Sorry, but that's not right. The European version games contain all subtitles - the game simply selects the language on it's own based on the language the system is in. When you adjust the settings of your PSP so that the home menu is in German, the game will have German subtitels as well. Change the settings to "English" and the game will have English subtitles. Same with Re:coded and Days. It will probably be the same for 3D.

Sorry to hear that people are upset over this, even though it is probably not suprising, when the 3DS hardware sales in Italy and Spain are pretty mediocre...

Last edited:

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Sorry, but that's not right. The European version games contain all subtitles - the game simply selects the language on it's own based on the language the system is in. When you adjust the settings of your PSP so that the home menu is in German, the game will have German subtitels as well. Change the settings to "English" and the game will have English subtitles. Same with Re:coded and Days. It will probably be the same for 3D.

Sorry to hear that people are upset over this, even though it is probably not suprising, when the 3DS hardware sales in Italy and Spain are pretty mediocre...

Oh, really? Certainly didn't know that. (Cuz why would I want to change the language of my system, lol?)

So you think Square made that move because there have been sold not enough 3DS consoles in these countries for their taste?
Even that would be pretty shortsighted on their part, as I sincerely doubt that the folks working at SE are so stupid that they don't realize that many people might be convinced to buy a 3DS because of Dream Drop Distance coming out in their country.

Maister

Well, Nintendo are the distributor, so I still having hope. Nintendo always translate the games when he is the distributor. The last game who they didn't translate was in GBA.

megatron532

Website
www.youtube.com
Excuse me, I'm Italian and I'm so angry... It would be great if you sign in this petition: Kingdom Hearts 3D Localization for Spanish and Italian fans Petition

I know that an English version of KH3D is not a problem, but for us is a bit irritating... Please, help us. Show SE their error.

Thanks. :)

P.S. Please, forgive me for my bad english. I'm really sorry...

I signed your petition. I'm thinking about contacting Square Enix about this, but I don't think it'll help at all. One thing I do know: If this is about them not expecting sales from those regions, you will only hurt yourselves by boycotting the game. Buy it and show them they're wrong and maybe they'll release a patch for subtitles on the eshop and you'll be able to avoid this in the future. I feel really bad for you and lucky at the same time.

Cherryjuice

Oh, really? Certainly didn't know that. (Cuz why would I want to change the language of my system, lol?)
I changed the language of my DS to play Days in English, because the German translation was so bad it almost made me cry. It was an offense to both German language and Kingdom Hearts.

So you think Square made that move because there have been sold not enough 3DS consoles in these countries for their taste?
Even that would be pretty shortsighted on their part, as I sincerely doubt that the folks working at SE are so stupid that they don't realize that many people might be convinced to buy a 3DS because of Dream Drop Distance coming out in their country.
I didn't claim it was smart on their part now did I?
This sounds harsh, but they probably think that the people that shy away from buying the game because of no Italian/Spanish subs are not worth the afford of translating the game for them. It's sad, but that's what a lot of publishers seem to think.

And I doubt that a lot of people who want the game that much that they would even buy a new handheld for it would refrain from doing so just because the game has English subs only. Some will of course, but most fans will probably buy it regardless.

therealkaichan

It's worth mentioning that with the region lock in place, Latin America is mostly out of the question.

As far as I am aware, when there is no specific latin american region we get US versions. Most of the 3ds systems I've seen around here (then again I live in Uruguay and we are like, tiny country) are us versions, so this will probably not affect most of the LA market, as we weren't even getting spanish version to begin with.
Then we have to consider that many people in this region prefer to play a game in english before getting the spanish subs/dubs as they are made in "european spanish" and for most of us it sounds pretty terrible (like LA dubs sound for spanish people, no doubt).

This doesn't really affect me personally (I prefer to play english versions of games), but I agree that it is bad manners at least.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was a a sales thing, but I agree that just boycotting the game could send the completely wrong message. I think that sending emails and making petitions could at least make them consider it, if not for this game at least for the next one.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I changed the language of my DS to play Days in English, because the German translation was so bad it almost made me cry. It was an offense to both German language and Kingdom Hearts.
Funny you mention Days just now as I finally started to play that entry for the first time (taking a break from Kid Icarus: Uprising for a while) this week. I'm just up to Day 118 (119?) where they get vacation and I didn't yet find much to complain about the German dialogue.

This sounds harsh, but they probably think that the people that shy away from buying the game because of no Italian/Spanish subs are not worth the afford of translating the game for them. It's sad, but that's what a lot of publishers seem to think.

And I doubt that a lot of people who want the game that much that they would even buy a new handheld for it would refrain from doing so just because the game has English subs only. Some will of course, but most fans will probably buy it regardless.

That's also a possibility, although I still make an destinction between subtitles and the actual voice acting. When looking in German KH forums (which I normally tend to avoid) I see there quite a bunch of people complaining about not getting German voices. That is uneccessary whining in my book when you still have the subtitles in your own language.
But scratching the subtitles too...I think German and French fans would be quite pissed as well if they would do that here.

That really depends on the individual I would think, last time I checked the petition there were already over 2.300 sign ups in two Days, so it does seem to be a severe issue.
Add on top of this that many European fans in general might already be somewhat "on the fence" because Square often neglects Europe when it comes to KH (like now again concerning the 10th Anniversary, there is nothing announced for Europe yet except the standard version of DDD), and such bursts of rage might be more understandable.

EDIT:
I do agree with what others said here however that now "boycotting" the game won't help issues at all.
If the worst case happens, Square might even decide to stop releasing KH games in Spain and Italy completely.

Maister

I do agree with what others said here however that now "boycotting" the game won't help issues at all.
If the worst case happens, Square might even decide to stop releasing KH games in Spain and Italy completely.
So be it. Less money for Square.

If this 3D sells less than it should, it's Square fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back