• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Erase Me?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

khphantom97

Website
www.youtube.com
What happened to the scene where Ven asks Aqua to erase him? Was it moved to a different location? Was it cut completely? Did someone else ask Aqua? Did Ven ask someone else?

E.J.

~yaranaika
Awards
I thought he asked Terra, and I think it was cut. I haven't seen it anywhere except for the old scans.

Samhain

Bronze Member
moved to the keyblade graveyard

and he asked both terra and aqua to destroy him. it was a mistranslation
destroy=/=erase

and it took place right before xehanort and his butt buddy vanitas showed up to kick their asses

krexia

Translator
Awards
and he asked both terra and aqua to destroy him. it was a mistranslation
destroy=/=erase
Actually he does use the word 消す (erase), but in this context it's clearly a euphemism for 'kill'.

The Fishman

Keyblade Master
Yeah, instead of him saying it at Destiny Islands like it showed in the old trailers, he says it to Terra and Aqua at the Keyblade Graveyard before the battle vs. MX and Vanitas.
To me, it makes more sense to put it then because Ven thinks he's caused so much trouble and will probably cause more trouble with the whole X-blade thing, making him ask to be "erased"

Samhain

Bronze Member
Actually he does use the word 消す (erase), but in this context it's clearly a euphemism for 'kill'.
well that makes sense

and its nice how they moved that scene. they also moved the scene of xehanort talkin wit ven about losing something to obtain something. originally it was in olympus collesium but then they moved it to keyblade graveyard which makes complete sense cause most if not all the crazy shit happens on that world.

putting it in OC would have been strange

Z

Zulkir

That one and the "this power! I use for my friends!" is at land of departure instead of Radiant Garden.

Then "I'm tired of waiting for you, Terra!" was changed from the old "gathering place" part of the Keyblade Graveyard, to the modified one that's all wrecked by Xehanort.

Lissar

Ultra-sleek Librarian

I've been telling people this, after I translated that scene myself. I was surprised that people seemed disturbed that Ven was saying he wanted his friends to kill him. I can't imagine what people thought he meant when he kept saying "erase me", unless they were thinking he was data (which in this series isn't exactly unlikely.)

krexia

Translator
Awards
I guess before the game came out people could've speculated that 'erase' was used in some other context during the story? As you say, it wouldn't be the first time we've seen data-people in KH - and it certainly wouldn't be the craziest BbS theory I've seen!

Ikkin

Bronze Member
I've been telling people this, after I translated that scene myself. I was surprised that people seemed disturbed that Ven was saying he wanted his friends to kill him. I can't imagine what people thought he meant when he kept saying "erase me", unless they were thinking he was data (which in this series isn't exactly unlikely.)

Maybe they just couldn't believe that he'd be able to say something like that in a Disney game? (Which would be weird, because Riku asked the same thing in CoM)

The general theory that I saw about "erase me" seemed to be that it had something to do with memories - Ven wanted all of his memories erased, or something.

Lissar

Ultra-sleek Librarian
No, "erase me" IS the literal translation, but "erase" can be used as a euphemism to "kill". Sort of "to wipe out of existence". But the same word can be used for deleting data, or erasing a word on a page.

@ Ikkin - That seems a bit strange, since he specifically says "me" and not "my memories". Hmm... maybe it wouldn't sound strange in English to say it that way, but it does in Japanese. In Japanese he would have said "memories" if he had meant that was what he wanted erased.

Ikkin

Bronze Member
@ Ikkin - That seems a bit strange, since he specifically says "me" and not "my memories". Hmm... maybe it wouldn't sound strange in English to say it that way, but it does in Japanese. In Japanese he would have said "memories" if he had meant that was what he wanted erased.

Yeah, I never really thought much about those type of theories. Basing a theory on a subtle potential differentiation in a language that you don't know doesn't seem likely to bear much fruit.

Besides, I've seen "erased" used as a euphemism in English, too (though mostly in translated Japanese works), and I wouldn't mind it being used more often. The most commonly-used ones are either too harsh, too flippant, or too objectifying for someone to use about themselves or someone they have any empathy for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back